Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MechaX posted:

I will defend Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron to the death, don't make me fight you

The X-Wing books were probably the best thing to come out of the entire EU.

We will never again see the likes of Dinner Squadron and Silly Squadron :patriot:.

Seriously though, the X-Wing novels are really great and well worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As dire as the worst of Gundam can get I'd take it over any Star Wars tie-in books, no hesitation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Enjoy Gundam AGE then I guess. Though this does make me wonder how you feel about Gundam's EU; the manga, games, audio dramas and occasional novels.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Video games are an entirely different ballpark from the rest of that stuff but since the only Gundam novels easily accessible in English are Tomino's novelization of the original series I can say with complete certainty that yeah if a gun was pointed at my head I'd read those or rewatch AGE rather than read a Star Wars book.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gundam Age is a genuinely terrible show that squanders its concept and has a lot of nonsensical bullshit which seems focused on flash over substance with a few moments of genuinely cool ideas squandered by poor execution.

That's pretty much StarwarsEU.txt except Flit never hosed a goat.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've experienced both AGE and some Star Wars EU stuff and I can think of some positive things about the former (good pacing, some good sakuga moments with some newcomer animators) but I can't think of any positive experiences I had with the latter.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I love this comic since star trek characters and the x-men have such vastly different character designs. The trek guys look sort of dumpy and they're standing next to the early nineties x-men, who all looked liked roided up bodybuilders. It's hilarious.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ImpAtom posted:

Gundam Age is a genuinely terrible show that squanders its concept and has a lot of nonsensical bullshit which seems focused on flash over substance with a few moments of genuinely cool ideas squandered by poor execution.

That's pretty much StarwarsEU.txt except Flit never hosed a goat.

No, squandering cool ideas and concepts is StarTrekVoyager.txt. Very few ideas in the Star Wars EU are cool or good.

Lord Koth posted:

I haven't seen Spock's Brain, so can't comment on that one, but you're probably right that the other two somehow manage to be worse than even the worst SW books. Threshold is just... I don't even know what to say, and the writer behind Code of Honor really needed to stop writing those kinds of episodes, because she somehow managed to always be horribly racist in them, along with being terrible even at the supposed message. She wrote another along those lines for SG1, except with asians instead of blacks. It was just as bad.

Spock's Brain is the kind of bad that's entertaining to watch. There's good-bad and then there's just bad-bad.

As far as those two episodes being worse than literally anything in the Star Wars EU? Yeah, I dunno. The Star Wars EU has people loving giant ferrets, Han Solo roofied Leia once, Mace Windu and all black people come from the same planet, and East Asian people in Star Wars are literally space aliens called the Epicanthix, named after the epicanthic fold because slanty eyes and are known for being inscrutable. No, I am seriously not making this up.

Um.... yeah. Anyway, like tsob said, any franchise that's super huge is bound to have a lot of dire material just because the quantity of it is huge.

I'd say by that metric, Marvel and DC superhero comics are going to have the biggest quantity of complete garbage because they predate Star Wars, Star Trek, Gundam, etc. by decades. Star Trek has over 700 episodes, but DC comics has something in the range of 30,000-45,000 issues going back to 1939.

And as someone who used to be a big fan of superhero comics before getting complete fed up with them like a decade ago, I can confirm that they're tied for the dumbest alongside pro wrestling. Although to be fair, being extremely dumb is part of wrestling's appeal. I love Godzilla movies for the same reason.

I mean, after all, this is a thing that happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf1OFUTlwY4 :nms:
Also this happened in WCW but this is amazing though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Q4EVpIFIk

I could probably list really dumb and bizarre wrestling moments forever but oh wait yeah this is the gundam thread

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 9, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

I've experienced both AGE and some Star Wars EU stuff and I can think of some positive things about the former (good pacing, some good sakuga moments with some newcomer animators) but I can't think of any positive experiences I had with the latter.

Give the X-Wing novels a go. They're very grounded and just about a squadron of starfighter pilots conducting air and ground military ops. No grand super-magical ancient entities, no over-the-top superweapons, just trying to survive the current operation and get home alive.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monaghan posted:

I love this comic since star trek characters and the x-men have such vastly different character designs. The trek guys look sort of dumpy and they're standing next to the early nineties x-men, who all looked liked roided up bodybuilders. It's hilarious.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give the X-Wing novels a go. They're very grounded and just about a squadron of starfighter pilots conducting air and ground military ops. No grand super-magical ancient entities, no over-the-top superweapons, just trying to survive the current operation and get home alive.

They were some of the things I checked out. I didn't like those many years ago back when I read them and I suspect the same would hold true today.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

They were some of the things I checked out. I didn't like those many years ago back when I read them and I suspect the same would hold true today.

Fair enough. Though I will say that the Wraith Squadron novels are by a different author, and I find them to be better than the Rogue Squadron ones.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah I like the X-Wing books\games\comics, the Thrawn trilogy and Shadows of the Empire. The rest of the EU can go into the dumpster.

Honestly my favorite Star Wars book as a kid was the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels. I want a book like that but for mobile suits. I'm sure books like this exist, but are only in Japanese. Yes, I know I can just look at mahq.com and basically get the exact same thing.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fair enough. Though I will say that the Wraith Squadron novels are by a different author, and I find them to be better than the Rogue Squadron ones.

Yeah Wraith Squadron is better. Corran Horn is lame.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Stackpole's X-Wing books range from solid to good. Corran Horn never should have been a thing, with his Gary Stu-looking rear end.

Allston's X-Wing books are the GOAT though. Way better writing at every level compared to Stackpole and Wraith Squadron + Wedge/Janson is the best combo out of the EU by a light-year.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MechaX posted:

Stackpole's X-Wing books range from solid to good. Corran Horn never should have been a thing, with his Gary Stu-looking rear end.

Allston's X-Wing books are the GOAT though. Way better writing at every level compared to Stackpole and Wraith Squadron + Wedge/Janson is the best combo out of the EU by a light-year.

Yub-Yub, commander.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yub-Yub, commander.

If I were making Star Wars movies, I would have an ewok X-Wing pilot in it. Like, he wouldn't even be wearing a flight suit. He would just be wearing a tribal loincloth, sitting in a child's car seat and brandishing a spear in his cockpit as he's erratically swerving around. It would be hilarious and would also piss people off and it would be great.

Also I just gotta point out how sad it is that I have to hijack completely unrelated threads and just talk about Star Wars in them because the Star Wars thread in CineD may be the single worst thread in the worst subform on all of SA

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MechaX posted:

I will defend Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron to the death, don't make me fight you

The X-Wing books were probably the best thing to come out of the entire EU.

Yeah and they're still trash

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

KotOR 1 and 2 were fun and would count as Star Wars EU, right? :shrug:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

AGE makes a lot more sense (in regards to how it came about) when you know that it was originally an initial plot summary for a video game Level-5 got hired to develop that Bandai decided had to be an anime as well.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MechaX posted:

It's just a pity there's only 3 or 4 of them and the squad is generally forgotten in favour of Rogue Squadron. Almost all of the series' memorable characters are Wraiths rather than Rogues too: Face Loran, Runt Thakwash and Piggy SaBinring among others.

It also has one of the most memorable action moments in anything to me, when Faleen Sandskimmer, a Tattoine pilot who has come to be defined by others comparing her unfavourably to Luke Skywalker because of her planet of origin and developing a complex due to it, who just wants to escape his shadow flies a fighter in to a hole in the side of a Star Destroyer that needs to be taken down for a plan to succeed and starts destroying the engines from the inside. She dies in the process, but takes out the Star Destroyer and finally does something Luke Skywalker didn't, so she gets her wish in the end. It's a really nice way to give closure to a character as well as a cool set piece.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah and they're still trash

I would take the Wraith Squadron novels over almost any Gundam. The only things better to me are 0079 and Turn-A.

Luminaflare posted:

AGE makes a lot more sense (in regards to how it came about) when you know that it was originally an initial plot summary for a video game Level-5 got hired to develop that Bandai decided had to be an anime as well.

I thought Hino was the one insisted on an animation as well as a game?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd pick most star wars games over Gundam games. Also, most everything written by Matthew stover is excellent.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

tsob posted:

I thought Hino was the one insisted on an animation as well as a game?

I'm not 100% sure really. Mostly commenting on it from memory. The game's supposed to be pretty decent gameplay wise though. Admittedly it is essentially just LBX/Danball Senki with a Gundam skin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

I'm not 100% sure really. Mostly commenting on it from memory. The game's supposed to be pretty decent gameplay wise though. Admittedly it is essentially just LBX/Danball Senki with a Gundam skin.

Yeah, it's literally just Danball Gundam. Some of the plot points make more sense in a game setting but it's just if you want Danball with Gundams instead of NotGundams

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Personally, I just want a Gundam Virtual On game.

Gundam Versus as a series actually has a bunch of the old Virtual On crew working on it. Plus, you know, the nearly identical core mechanics too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I want TIE Fighter/X-Wing but with Gundam units. So an arcade-y flight game with a veneer of space sim to give it just a little bit of depth and a story line about someone rising up through the ranks of the appropriate faction while using their different craft (along with some new, game only units) I guess. That, a modern beat 'em up using the Gundam franchise, or even just mecha as a whole i.e. "Super Robot Fighting" instead of "Super Robot Wars" or a brand new setting explored through an RPG. AGE but released in the West, and maybe for a home console instead of a handheld (or Switch, which is both) basically.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I want TIE Fighter/X-Wing but with Gundam units. So an arcade-y flight game with a veneer of space sim to give it just a little bit of depth and a story line about someone rising up through the ranks of the appropriate faction while using their different craft (along with some new, game only units) I guess. That, a modern beat 'em up using the Gundam franchise, or even just mecha as a whole i.e. "Super Robot Fighting" instead of "Super Robot Wars" or a brand new setting explored through an RPG. AGE but released in the West, and maybe for a home console instead of a handheld (or Switch, which is both) basically.

If you can stand a PSP game look up the Gundam Battle series. Universe was the last of the UC entries though there was a SEED game for Vita. They're third person, which may not work for you, though.

Also see Climax UC for the PS2.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYTKejO1xXw This is the second one kinda.

As for Gundam video games, I'd like a game where beam weaponry actually works like it does in the fiction, maybe some kind of combination of bushido blade and revengeance's cutting mechanics.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I kinda wanted to do a Gundam tabletop RPG for years and years, but only recently do I have more than like 2 friends who are actually into UC Gundam.

But I'm also 30 now and I haven't played a tabletop RPG since I was in college. And a huge chunk of my friends have things like jobs and children and don't really have the time to invest in something like that.

The middle age tabletop RPG experience:
"Man, you know, that would make for a cool D&D campaign."
"Yeah... that would be pretty cool. You wanna be the DM?"
"Uh... no. I don't have the time for that. How about you?"
"Nope. Hey Bob, how about you?"
"Hell no."
"Welp."

For a while, I was playing that X-Wing tabletop game with a friend of mine. It was just him and me. I desperately tried to get other people to play.
"Hey, you like Star Wars! This X-Wing game is cool as poo poo!"
"I mean yeah, they're neat but... those little Micro Machine ships are like $20 each. What, do you think I'm made of money?"
"Well yeah, you have a good point there."

But what is kinda cool is I heard someone is developing an actual game built around making your 1/144 model kits fight. I already have a bunch of those.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gundam models would make bad game pieces

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I kinda wanted to do a Gundam tabletop RPG for years and years, but only recently do I have more than like 2 friends who are actually into UC Gundam.

But I'm also 30 now and I haven't played a tabletop RPG since I was in college. And a huge chunk of my friends have things like jobs and children and don't really have the time to invest in something like that.

The middle age tabletop RPG experience:
"Man, you know, that would make for a cool D&D campaign."
"Yeah... that would be pretty cool. You wanna be the DM?"
"Uh... no. I don't have the time for that. How about you?"
"Nope. Hey Bob, how about you?"
"Hell no."
"Welp."

For a while, I was playing that X-Wing tabletop game with a friend of mine. It was just him and me. I desperately tried to get other people to play.
"Hey, you like Star Wars! This X-Wing game is cool as poo poo!"
"I mean yeah, they're neat but... those little Micro Machine ships are like $20 each. What, do you think I'm made of money?"
"Well yeah, you have a good point there."

But what is kinda cool is I heard someone is developing an actual game built around making your 1/144 model kits fight. I already have a bunch of those.

Eh, I hear the company behind it is kinda unethical. Apparently, the CEO’s some foreign crook on the lam. I hear Yajima Industries has been having a look at it, though, so you might want to come back to it in a few years.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I knew they were drawing from Metal Warriors, and then I saw the guy bail out.

That is a good game to emulate.

Another is Project Nimbus, though it's stuck in eternal development now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opIy69WJVLk

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 10, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

They really would. I've broken them and I don't even play with them or anything. I just put them on a shelf then look at them.

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, I hear the company behind it is kinda unethical. Apparently, the CEO’s some foreign crook on the lam. I hear Yajima Industries has been having a look at it, though, so you might want to come back to it in a few years.

It's a company making that Gunpla game? I thought it was just some random dude.
https://donkusgaming.wordpress.com/category/mobile-suit-gundam-skirmish-2/

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's a company making that Gunpla game? I thought it was just some random dude.
https://donkusgaming.wordpress.com/category/mobile-suit-gundam-skirmish-2/

The joke

Your head

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Ranzear posted:

I knew they were drawing from Metal Warriors, and then I saw the guy bail out.

That is a good game to emulate.

Another is Project Nimbus, though it's stuck in eternal development now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opIy69WJVLk

Somebody really just needs to make a generic, open-source, easily modified space sim game. Then I could just take all those 3D models of TIE Fighters and Gundams and Star Trek ships and whatever I've accumulated over the years and just throw them into the game.

Like, someone just code a clone of TIE Fighter or Mechawarrior 2 but just make it, you know, not old. There is only so much I can do modding X-Wing Alliance 20 years after that game was made

Droyer posted:

The joke

Your head

I'm a dumbass, y'all should know this by now

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Somebody really just needs to make a generic, open-source, easily modified space sim game.

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net

There's a version of Wing Commander: Privateer on this already.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Ranzear posted:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net

There's a version of Wing Commander: Privateer on this already.

gently caress yes!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think MSIAs, Assault Kingdom, Universal Unit, and StandART are probably all better choices.

EDIT: ahaha holy cow they made a U2 Dendrobium.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 10, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Strike Suit Infinity my dudes. Get a bit of X-Wing/TIE fighter along with some super robot.

Strike Suit Zero if you want a campaign with some Homeworld skyboxes.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I just wish there was a game that played like the classic Armored Core games.

Everything is either too slow like mechwarrior stuff, or is just an infinite boost forever type of game. Nothing else really has the same entertaining and rewarding movement and aiming game of rock paper scissors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Midjack posted:

I think MSIAs, Assault Kingdom, Universal Unit, and StandART are probably all better choices.

EDIT: ahaha holy cow they made a U2 Dendrobium.

MSIA made almost everything that appeared onscreen in the Universal Century, including stuff like the Big Zam, Elmeth, Dendrobium, Psycho Gundam, etc. It also had like, everything from G Gundam, including a gigantic Devil Gundam, the four horsemen, etc. I don't know if they made all the grunt suits from Gundam Wing, but its Wing selection is pretty complete too.

MSIAs are kinda dumpy and rubbery and don't pose very well at all. So they don't display very well like a Robot Damashii or a model kit will, but they are way more rugged and durable as they are more toys meant for actual kids. Like, you could probably chuck one at a wall and it would be fine.

I'm kind of obsessed with those SD Gundam Converge figures. They're cheap, typically like $10-15 each and have a really wide selection of random rear end mobile suits. It's just unfortunate that I can't get a Guncannon or standard Green Zaku II without paying megabucks because they're rare for some reason.