Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

The MSJ posted:

They said Johnson will work on unexplored parts of the Star Wars universe. This is what they define as "new".
Osmosis Jones, except it's about a wacky midi-chlorian inside of Anakin Skywalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They should make a Metal Gear Movie and keep psycho mantis reading your memory card.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

They should make a Metal Gear Movie and keep psycho mantis reading your memory card.

Random audience member's internet history

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Just go low-tech. Mantis goes off screen for a minute...

and runs through the aisles of your theatre whoaaaaa

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

William Castle's Metal Gear Solid

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, the batshit plot really accounts for a lot. If they just did a direct adaptation of Snake Eater, without any of the fourth-wall stuff, it would be a bad loving rear end movie and wouldn't really require them to touch any of the extra-weird stuff.

The problem is that Snake Eater has a loving long climax, from the Volgin fight, to the chase scene, to the Shagohod, The Boss, then the Ocelot stand off and finally the whole denouement with EVA's tape I mean can you fit that in a 90 minute movie in a way that makes sense

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

Every screening of the film, there's a part where he calls out by name someone who bought their ticket in advance from their phone/computer.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A Snake Eater adaptation should have a whole hour of nothing but the boss fight with The End.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The MSJ posted:

"You watch Lore? The narrator's voice annoys even me."

I don't understand how that podcast got a TV show. It's just a guy reading Wikipedia

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Len posted:

I don't understand how that podcast got a TV show. It's just a guy reading Wikipedia
The guy's making $10k a month on Patreon, maybe more now, and doesn't do the bare minimum when it comes to due diligence. There was some bit about an asylum on there once, and he started talking about a "tall man" leading patients away who were never seen again. Turns out he read somebody's creepypasta, thought it was real, and didn't bother to put forward high school level effort to check his sources.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Calaveron posted:

The problem is that Snake Eater has a loving long climax, from the Volgin fight, to the chase scene, to the Shagohod, The Boss, then the Ocelot stand off and finally the whole denouement with EVA's tape I mean can you fit that in a 90 minute movie in a way that makes sense

You can compress many of those things without losing anything. For the climax you could skip the entire first Volgin fight (just have him take cover in the Shagohod as the bombs start to go off), keep the chase and have the Shagohod destroyed earlier in the following fight so you can have a fistfight with Volgin. Everything from the Boss to Eva's tape is already paced like a movie, so that should be easy.

In terms of pacing, you could trim massive amounts of fat from everything that proceeds the first infiltration of Grozny Grad while moving the cooler bits (The End, The Fear) to after the escape from the sewers. Also, a film could fix the problem that MGS3 has with its massive info-dump at the end of the game.

Or just do MGS1, since that's basically Escape from New York meets Die Hard on an arctic island.

Personally, I'd like it if the film told a story that the games haven't already covered. I want to see the Cobra Unit tearing poo poo up during WWII or some of the stuff Big Boss did before Peace Walker.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

precision posted:

Part of the reason I'm surprised there isn't a concentrated and serious push for Wheel of Time movies is that, if they're successful, you could have a movie every year or two for decades without even having to deviate from the books.

They did a rush TV pilot to hold onto the rights, the director died of exhaustion.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Calaveron posted:

Honestly, I feel like you'd have to make it a good bit longer than 90 minutes, but I also think this is one of the few times a movie would actually warrant a 2:30 runtime.

e: also, yeah, it wouldn't really be that hard to cut down if you wanna take the scissors to it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Baby Driver as well

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil though...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm weird in that I'd mix together the plots of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and Metal Gear Solid to make something that works on it's own.

It's not like there aren't already multiple MGS timelines, thanks to the PSP games.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

"They called me Mr. rear end :pervert:"

The Billy Gunn story.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Casimir Radon posted:

The guy's making $10k a month on Patreon, maybe more now, and doesn't do the bare minimum when it comes to due diligence. There was some bit about an asylum on there once, and he started talking about a "tall man" leading patients away who were never seen again. Turns out he read somebody's creepypasta, thought it was real, and didn't bother to put forward high school level effort to check his sources.

Do you have a link to that? Because I want to read on how a guy who has people helping his research hosed that up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A Metal Gear movie could go a few ways. If you want the most freedom, adapting the original Metal Gear games would both give you the most room to work with (because they were retconned to a comical degree anyway) and be the natural starting point of the whole clusterfuck of a franchise. If you want to start from the start, period piece MGS3 would work, and gives you a trilogy (possibly) of Big Boss' rise and fall as a hero leading right into Metal Gear. And of course you could just adapt Metal Gear Solid.

Kinda funny that it's basically the Star Wars of video games, except the prequel trilogy detailing the main villain's rise and fall to evil was actually better received for the most part.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Skwirl posted:

They did a rush TV pilot to hold onto the rights, the director died of exhaustion.

There actually is an effort to get it produced “right”, now, with Team Jordan back in the picture.

precision posted:

Part of the reason I'm surprised there isn't a concentrated and serious push for Wheel of Time movies is that, if they're successful, you could have a movie every year or two for decades without even having to deviate from the books.

The main arc of the story only takes place over something like 2 years, Harry Potter at least had an annual structure.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

A Metal Gear movie could go a few ways. If you want the most freedom, adapting the original Metal Gear games would both give you the most room to work with (because they were retconned to a comical degree anyway) and be the natural starting point of the whole clusterfuck of a franchise. If you want to start from the start, period piece MGS3 would work, and gives you a trilogy (possibly) of Big Boss' rise and fall as a hero leading right into Metal Gear. And of course you could just adapt Metal Gear Solid.

Kinda funny that it's basically the Star Wars of video games, except the prequel trilogy detailing the main villain's rise and fall to evil was actually better received for the most part.

Yeah, there's a ton of similarities between the two series.

MGS3 would probably work best as a Nolanesque near 3 hour movie. Virtuous Mission is basically the prologue and I can see it being about twenty minutes itself.

You'll need at least ten minutes dedicated to ~~~the ladder~~~.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I'm also not surprised if Kojima is a fan of the Vietnam War styling of Kong.

Kojima wrote an essay on King Kong: Skull Island for Rolling Stone's Glixel. So yeah, I'd say he's a fan. I think the whole reason Jordan Vogt-Roberts even got the job was Kojima being impressed with Skull Island.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Len posted:

Do you have a link to that? Because I want to read on how a guy who has people helping his research hosed that up
I think it was episode 6 titled Echoes. I remember seeing somewhere him admitting that he got taken in by some pretty obvious bullshit but a quick search didn't turn it up. But it was something dumb like somebody uploading their creepypasta to the wiki page about a real asylum, and the Lore guy just stating it like it was fact without any sort of checking.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it was episode 6 titled Echoes. I remember seeing somewhere him admitting that he got taken in by some pretty obvious bullshit but a quick search didn't turn it up. But it was something dumb like somebody uploading their creepypasta to the wiki page about a real asylum, and the Lore guy just stating it like it was fact without any sort of checking.

That was all it took to find it:

quote:

Danvers Hospital is tricky. The information about the 100 patients was something I found in two places: wikipedia and a Reddit post echoing a lot of the same details, but with extra things like numbers. Here’s where it gets weird though. I use the Evernote web clipper for a lot of my research, grabbing the full text of webpages for off-line / later reading and planning. The wikipedia article on the Danvers State Hospital had a paragraph about the missing teens, the woods, and the tall man. But when I go back to the website to look for it again, the paragraph is gone.

Weird, right? So that’s a dead end now, unfortunately.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:MobileDiff/661148066

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Is SKull Island on Netflix (Canada)? I missed it when it was in cinemas.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Most movies have a teaser trailer. The House With A Clock In Its Walls (starring Jack Black and Cate Blanchett and directed by Eli Roth) has this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbSMck1FvJb/

Blame Thor Ragnarok

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

Most movies have a teaser trailer. The House With A Clock In Its Walls (starring Jack Black and Cate Blanchett and directed by Eli Roth) has this:

Blame Thor Ragnarok

Isn't there a tv show that's just celebrities having lip sync battles? Jack Black and Chris Hemsworth would be a good one.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Blame Thor Ragnarok
gross

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

pospysyl posted:

The parts of Mummy 3 that are a Jet Li/Michelle Yeoh kung fu movie are good. The parts of Mummy 3 that are a "The Mummy" movie are bad.
You forgot the other good part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTE6S6x8ixA&t=91s

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

GonSmithe posted:

Kong owns but also here's a really good interview with the director where he talks about getting the MGS movie "right," which gave me a lot of faith in it.

http://collider.com/jordan-vogt-roberts-interview-destiny-2-cinema-sins/

Jordan Vogt-Roberts posted:

I asked [Kojima] point-blank in front of an audience, because we had a long conversation about him and film and I said, “What would your advice be to me? What would you have to say?” And he said, “Do what I would do. Betray your audience,”

badass

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope we just straight up get a Metal Gear Rising movie.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, the batshit plot really accounts for a lot. If they just did a direct adaptation of Snake Eater, without any of the fourth-wall stuff, it would be a bad loving rear end movie and wouldn't really require them to touch any of the extra-weird stuff.

Phantom Pain is the best game in the series both in terms of the cinematography (the entire game is done like one continuous take) and in terms of writing competence (none of the badly translated repeating each other's lines or gibberish titles obviously from people who weren't native English speakers​, no freezing time to have lengthy codec monologues and exposition dumps) and it had minimal fourth wall goofs. Just make a cool historical sci-fi/historical magical realism military story with horror elements and great setpieces and you're good to go.

Casimir Radon posted:

The guys who make The Dollop also got in trouble for plagiarising articles almost word for word for multiple episodes, I've never understood why people who make the living doing shows like that can't ever do the bare minimum of coming their sources unless they get external pressure and/or have fans willing to do unpaid labor for them.

The Lore guy is just especially egregious because he's not really funny or interesting and on top of not adding anything to the material his voice and delivery is terrible. And apparently he was a professional author before the podcast.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, there's a ton of similarities between the two series.

MGS3 would probably work best as a Nolanesque near 3 hour movie. Virtuous Mission is basically the prologue and I can see it being about twenty minutes itself.

You'll need at least ten minutes dedicated to ~~~the ladder~~~.

Put The Sorrow encounter on The Ladder

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The MSJ posted:

I hope we just straight up get a Metal Gear Rising movie.

I was thinking halfway through Robocop remake that it's almost a touch of MGR movie. Though the opening could be a Protomen movie.

Though these days, I half expect every James Bond movie to end with a giant robot fight.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
MGS has a character get an arm transplant from a terrorist, and then he hypnotizes himself into believing he is the original owner of the arm.

They use the terrorist's voice actor when the guy thinks his arm has taken him over with the spirit from beyond the grave. He hypnotizes himself into believing he has a haunted arm.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MGS3 film should just start with the virtuous mission ending showdown on the bridge, smash cut to credits following the bomb blast, which all told is maybe 15-20 minutes of run time and that leaves you a solid 90+ to do the rest without seeming truly over stuffed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Firstborn posted:

MGS has a character get an arm transplant from a terrorist, and then he hypnotizes himself into believing he is the original owner of the arm.

It's even better than that. Ocelot really was possessed by Liquid Snake in MGS2. But sometime after MGS2, Ocelot took control over his body again. But he realized for his plans it would be better for people to believe he was still being possessed, so then he hypnotizes himself into believing he's still possessed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ocelot would be the best movie villain you all have ever seen.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Phantom Pain is the best game in the series both in terms of the cinematography (the entire game is done like one continuous take) and in terms of writing competence (none of the badly translated repeating each other's lines or gibberish titles obviously from people who weren't native English speakers​, no freezing time to have lengthy codec monologues and exposition dumps) and it had minimal fourth wall goofs.

Holy poo poo I found it, The Worst Take.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ocelot would be the best movie villain you all have ever seen.

:ocelot: Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

MGS movie will get the Dark Tower movie treatment. 89 minutes of a compilation of all the games in a by the numbers spy movie with the twist at the end that Snake is a clone of the bad guy

• Locked thread