Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I can see preferring Begins to TDK, but I can't comprehend liking TDKR best unless you think they're all poo poo and just enjoy Bane on a camp level or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I hated TDKR in the cinema, but every time I rewatch it I end up liking it more. Even aside from any weird critical reading, Bane is every bit as perfect a foil for Bale's Batman as the Joker was and his goofy rear end steals every scene he's in.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

dont even fink about it posted:

Batman Forever is poo poo from a butt and between it and Batman & Robin, Forever is by far the worst. Val Kilmer was terrible and Chris O'Donnell just sucks as a rule. 90's Jim Carrey is totally insufferable as it is.

Batman & Robin is not altogether great, it's about thirty minutes too long and beyond the sets only really works because Arnold Schwarzenegger constantly owns in it. It's a fantastic costume, everything he says is incredible, the works.

I honestly think Uma is extremely underrated in this movie, as is Clooney. It's also Gough's best performance as Alfred.

But yeah O'Donnell and Silverstone are definitely the weak links.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I just watched Wonder woman, what a load of poo poo that was. Gal gadot can't act.

Glad I️ am not alone on this one? It sucked.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

AlternateAccount posted:

Glad I️ am not alone on this one? It sucked.

I really don't understand why they cast some random normal looking guy with a mustache to be Ares. There's nothing imposing or memorable about him at all. He's so unmemorable that I can't find him on the IMDB page because his character evidently wasn't named Ares. I only know he was Ares because I knew she would be fighting Ares from the promotional material. If I didn't already know, I would probably have a really hard time remembering who WW fought in the movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Batman and Superman need to just become public domain already.

And have a half dozen halfass batman movies each year?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

got any sevens posted:

And have a half dozen halfass batman movies each year?

gently caress yes. Let the people decide which is good. Right now Marvel and DC aren't under a whole lot of pressure because they are the only two people making comic book movies. Imagine if some random Joe made something as good or better than what the big boys are doing, then they would have to stop playing it safe.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vogt-Roberts will elevate video game movies with Metal Gear if he gets his chance. I have total confidence in him. It may make comic book movies step it up.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I really don't understand why they cast some random normal looking guy with a mustache to be Ares. There's nothing imposing or memorable about him at all. He's so unmemorable that I can't find him on the IMDB page because his character evidently wasn't named Ares. I only know he was Ares because I knew she would be fighting Ares from the promotional material. If I didn't already know, I would probably have a really hard time remembering who WW fought in the movie.

Actually Ares looking like that kinda rules.

Also if Gadot cannot act, barely any review of the movie mentions it.

I just found out the writer of the Umbrella Academy series on Netflix also did The Exorcist TV series which I heard is pretty rad.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the god of war being an unassuming british twerp was the most interesting thing in that entire movie

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's David Thewlis (best known as Lupin in Harry Potter), channeling Simon McBurney in Last King of Scotland.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

josh04 posted:

It's David Thewlis (best known as Lupin in Harry Potter), channeling Simon McBurney in Last King of Scotland.

Best known as Knox Harrington, the video artist :argh:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brother Entropy posted:

the god of war being an unassuming british twerp was the most interesting thing in that entire movie

I don't think it would have been better for the god of war to be some giant, muscle-bound, Greek guy to help humanity fight and commit atrocities durimg World War 1.

Maybe a small, wiry, Bosnian guy, though.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

As soon as I saw David Thewlis I was like "Oh he'll be important" there's no way they'd use him for a few shots,even he couldn't save it though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

All the guest Deadpool articles in Good Housekeeping.

Intro

Holiday letter

You'll Go Crazy for D's Nuts and Creamy Clam Skinny Dip

Giving Your Family the Bird: How to Carve a Turkey

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The God of War assuming the form of a mundane British imperialist is actually pretty Good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The true villain is of course perfidious Albion.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

josh04 posted:

I hated TDKR in the cinema, but every time I rewatch it I end up liking it more. Even aside from any weird critical reading, Bane is every bit as perfect a foil for Bale's Batman as the Joker was and his goofy rear end steals every scene he's in.

TDKR was pretty :mediocre:, but it's a masterpiece next to anything in the MCU / DCEU.

Of the Nolan films, I like Batman Begins the best. Bruce training with Ra's al Ghul in the mountains was just so baller and intriguing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

viral spiral posted:

Of the Nolan films, I like Batman Begins the best. Bruce training with Ra's al Ghul in the mountains was just so baller and intriguing.

If only he used that ninja training against Bane, instead of like... just doing regular punches and kicks. TDKR has some insanely terrible fight choreography.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i was watching the last season of fargo around the time we went to see wonder woman and as soon as david thewlis showed up i was like "yeah that's ares" and everything he did pretty much vindicated that

also i love that they just cgi'd his head onto some ripped dude's body (unless thewlis was hitting the gym for that half-second shot, in which case respect) because it was so loving silly. wonder woman rules but its also real dumb and bleak

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Re: Justice League

Serf posted:

there is 0 chance that this movie fails to take home like a billion dollars
That's exactly what people said about BvS though .... :v:

BvS made a poo poo load of money and would have been seen as a massive unambiguous smash hit except for the fact that it inevitably got compared to The Avengers and fell short, therefore it was a 'disappointment'. On the other hand it also fell short compared to The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises so even if the MCU didn't exist then BvS still would have been compared unfavourably to the Nolan Batman films and judged to be a financial disappointment. It just didn't grab the general public like those other films did.

DC Murderverse posted:

you have to remember how people reacted to Avengers when it came out and still feel about it now though. Like, I know most of the people here see Avengers as dumb fun popcorn film at best and ugly shitpile at worst, but most critics still consider it one of the highlights of the whole Marvel Studios collection and back when it came out everyone treated it like a loving revelation.

Justice League getting a mild by comparison reception is probably not a very good sign.

MovieBob has a 40 minute youtube video blowing smoke up The Avengers' rear end and going on and on about how it was one of the cinematic highlights of his lifetime and how it changed the face of American cinema forever.

.... and you know what? He's not wrong, at least in the sense of it changing the financial side of American cinema which will have an inevitable follow on effect on the artistic side of cinema. Universal's failed Dark Universe shared cinematic universe is just one of the symptoms of the effect The Avengers had on the industry. It probably won't have as massive an effect as the original Star Wars or Jaws but it definitely did change the landscape.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Seems we aren't in the clear yet

quote:

Media giants Disney and 21st Century Fox haven't given up on the idea of combining movie and television production operations, CNBC's David Faber said Friday.

"Pencils aren't down," he said, citing sources.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/10/pencils-arent-down-on-disney-21st-century-fox-deal.html

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If I'm being honest about the Nolan Batman Movies I like them all well enough but Begins is the best and The Dark Knight is less good than most people thing because it's not my Joker, Heath Ledger's performance is amazing but the character he's performing doesn't click for me as the Joker, outside of the magic trick at least. Feels like a Batman Villain but if you didn't tell me that was the Joker I'd assume it was a character made up for the movie.

I think it's the lack of actual focus on the one bad moment over the joy of Anarchy and Chaos, Dark Knight Joker wants to prove that everyone at their heart is a monster, but normally it's that a bad enough singular moment will turn anyone into something like him. When he's done best he feels like the personification of the Night Bruce Wayne's parents are killed, loving and wanting to constantly create the catalyst for turning ordinary people into a hero or a monster is what I think Joker works best towards.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

If only he used that ninja training against Bane, instead of like... just doing regular punches and kicks. TDKR has some insanely terrible fight choreography.

Hey he used his headbutt-and-elbow based combat style, didn't he?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I always laugh when gunmen run up to batman and catwoman so they can get punched in the face. At least Tom Hardy's monologue during the fight is great

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 11, 2017

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Extradimensional QR Codes

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The film went out of its way to demonstrate that Bruce was old, rusty and broken and also that Bane wasn't susceptible to tricks. The scene is a direct borrow from the mutant leader fight in TDKR.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiaRYQlsjy4&t=115s

"Theatricality and deception are powerful agents..."

"...to the uninitiated."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDuetklFtDQ&t=92s

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

josh04 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiaRYQlsjy4&t=115s

"Theatricality and deception are powerful agents..."

"...to the uninitiated."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDuetklFtDQ&t=92s

cool stuff

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

They cast him to look like a famous painting of Ares

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean that's literally the first time I've seen anyone anywhere say that about DK which I always assumed was the best regarded one by a margin. The CD opinion on DKR is considerably better than elsewhere tho

Ask people who like TDK the most how they thought things like score (weakest of the 3, with dog chases cars being the large standout and great, but not quite as rich throughout), cinematography (weakest of the 3; not as beautiful as Rises, not as varied as Begins), or other technical aspects were better than the other two, and many will just cross eyes - which is kind of the difference between this forum and other opinions.

Without dissemination of each aspect of a film while watching, opinions are often mostly formed by expectation and realization of, and TDK is the Batman film that matched expectations the most, while TDKR is the one that subverted them the most.

Darko fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 11, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
TDK was IMDB's #1 movie of all time forever and it's still number 4, who gives a gently caress what people think of it? TDK isn't even in the top 200 best movies ever made

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Yeah I'd have to note that between all 3 soundtracks I basically only have TDKR tracks in my "driving around" list, with tracks like Imagine the Fire or The Fire Rises.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Darko posted:

Ask people who like TDK the most how they thought things like score (weakest of the 3, with dog chases cars being the large standout and great, but not quite as rich throughout), cinematography (weakest of the 3; not as beautiful as Rises, not as varied as Begins), or other technical aspects were better than the other two, and many will just cross eyes - which is kind of the difference between this forum and other opinions.

Without dissemination of each aspect of a film while watching, opinions are often mostly formed by expectation and realization of, and TDK is the Batman film that matched expectations the most, while TDKR is the one that subverted them the most.

What a load of condescending wank.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

But where's the lie?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Reminds me of that Emo Philips joke.

Do you like comic movies? Cool, me too!

Do you like the DC stuff? Cool, me too!

Do you like Batman? Cool, me too!

Do you like the Bale trilogy? Cool, me too!

Do you enjoy Dark Knight over Rises? You cross-eyed moron!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

josh04 posted:

But where's the lie?
Who cares?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Who cares?

People that care to understand and explain why they like what they like or vise versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Yeah I'd have to note that between all 3 soundtracks I basically only have TDKR tracks in my "driving around" list, with tracks like Imagine the Fire or The Fire Rises.

Zimmer seems to prefer Rises as well since he stressed that more in his concert.

• Locked thread