Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, sounds like it's chasing that "Darker! More violent! More sexy!" chicken, which I have zero interest in.

Yeah, Star Trek never featured sex, not ever...

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Boobs should only be visible through a leather window.

Come on though, you seriously can't pretend that wasn't the epitome of "look how adult and extreme we are"

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 13, 2017

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Come on though, you seriously can't pretend that wasn't the epitome of "look how adult and extreme we are"

I'm not saying it was the classiest thing in the world, but it came across to me as a lot more artfully done then some of the more crass examples of Star Trek in the past. Enterprise was especially egregious in this regard.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

ashpanash posted:

I'm not saying it was the classiest thing in the world, but it came across to me as a lot more artfully done then some of the more crass examples of Star Trek in the past. Enterprise was especially egregious in this regard.

Yeah, it is difficult to top decontamination gel.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Enterprise wasn't trying to pretend it was prestige TV for discerning adults

It's just so clearly "Award winning prestige shows do this, therefore we have to. We're game of thrones in space!"

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's just so clearly "Award winning prestige shows do this, therefore we have to. We're game of thrones in space!"

Well...yeah. One of the better parts of Discovery, for me, is that it embraces what makes prestige TV work, which is high production values, better directing and cinematography, and presenting more provocative themes. It's trying to not be TV wallpaper. It's struggling a bit out of the gate, but it's finding itself.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

ashpanash posted:

All of the stuff there I've seen is off-putting and unnecessary (except Q)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ashpanash posted:

Well...yeah. One of the better parts of Discovery, for me, is that it embraces what makes prestige TV work, which is high production values, better directing and cinematography, and presenting more provocative themes. It's trying to not be TV wallpaper. It's struggling a bit out of the gate, but it's finding itself.
It's been on a gradual incline in quality since the pilot, IMO.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ashpanash posted:

No open-shirt Picard. Shameful.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

ashpanash posted:

never forget

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I wonder if Q gave himself a comically large dong.

You know he did. :allears:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Astroman posted:

The other Q took his powers and cursed him into that form so he probably did not have the option.

But who knows, he did get to pick whatever form he wanted, the other Q might not have known/cared enough about human anatomy to check all the measurements he provided.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Fencing Sulu is the most necessary thing I can imagine.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's really the inept mimicry of those things that makes it special. Everything this guy says

ashpanash posted:

is what they think they're doing but nobody involved actually gets how those things work in other shows and every episode is a showcase in another aspect of that fundamental misunderstanding.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Astroman posted:

The Q Tip...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dog_Meat posted:

The Q Tip...

dont steal my fanfic

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Discovery Klingons are a lot better when they're speaking English and knife dueling.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

McSpanky posted:

They're gradually ticking off all of the "we're a mature prestige drama on premium cable streaming now" boxes so I'm expecting an extended full-frontal sex sequence of questionable morality before the midseason break.

Close enough

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

VitalSigns posted:

Oh yeah, now that you mention it we can't be sure. It was only mandatory in that episode because there was a futures contract involved and breaking a contract is super illegal in Ferengi law and you get unpersoned if you do it.

I'm not sure how that works actually, like poo poo happens all the time and contracts can't be fulfilled, you'd think it would cause economic catastrophe if everyone were constantly losing business licenses every time a shipment gets lost. Seems like the natural way for everyone to deal with this would be to put options in every contract so it would never come up. On the other hand maybe that's a feature: rich individuals and powerful corporations have the clout to negotiate escape hatches in their contracts to apply to themselves, but any little guy who deals with them just has to accept whatever one-sided offer he gets. Sort of like mandatory arbitration in present-day USA.

Most contracts are written to include conditions if certain aspects can't be fulfilled because that's their purpose. "If shipment doesn't arrive by X date than shipper attempts redelivery and pays Y penalty. If redelivery is impossible then shipper pays Z penalty."

Brunt didn't include any of that because it was an elaborate plan to either kill Quark or have him excommunicated. Quark didn't notice that it just said "Deliver a dead Quark by X date" because Rom told him to mash the "Sell now with 1-Click" button before the buyer withdrew their offer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ashpanash posted:

There's nothing "prestige" about using sex and violence to get viewers, video games have been using them since time immemorial.

Altogether, Discovery is sounding like a decent sci-fi action show and nothing at all like Star Trek.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cythereal posted:

There's nothing "prestige" about using sex and violence to get viewers, video games have been using them since time immemorial.

Altogether, Discovery is sounding like a decent sci-fi action show and nothing at all like Star Trek.

Imo, it’s extremely Trekkish, especially the latest round of episodes. It doesn’t have the comfy Berman-era direction, but they’re starting to introduce themes and ideas that fit in nicely with the franchise. Though, I totally understand if it’s not everyone’s bag.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cythereal posted:

You should probably just watch it first before making that assumption

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Covenant

I maintain that Dukat should have died in Waltz. He was an entertaining villain, but his character arc should have ended there with his death. This Pah-Wraith cult stuff should have been Winn, I think, or another Bajoran - maybe keep Winn as an rear end in a top hat but sincere in her beliefs as far as they go, maybe not. Even have this native Bajoran being willing to collaborate with the Dominion. I think that could have added an interesting note of ambiguity that making the cult leader Gul Egomaniac rear end in a top hat Dukat lacked. I don't feel that Dukat is Sisko's antithesis - Dukat is Kira's personal nemesis. Sisko's, I think, is Winn and she would have challenged him as a religious figure and a diplomat, not as a soldier and warrior.

This was an enjoyable enough episode, but I think it could and should have been more.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

So that Klingon rape in the latest Discovery was a real joy...

"She took an interest in me" oh gross I get it

"I gave in... I had to do things.. " yeah ugh ok I get it

*Flashing images*. Just holy gently caress yes, I get it I get what he meant auugh

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Brawnfire posted:

So that Klingon rape in the latest Discovery was a real joy...

"She took an interest in me" oh gross I get it

"I gave in... I had to do things.. " yeah ugh ok I get it

*Flashing images*. Just holy gently caress yes, I get it I get what he meant auugh

Well, you know what they say, "show don't tell," right?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Cythereal posted:

All dramatic TV shows - all versions of Star Trek included - have used sex and violence to get viewers. This is a red herring. The scene in question was not "using sex and violence to get viewers." Hell, it was the ninth episode, if you're not already a viewer at that point...

The point of the scene was to reinforce the PTSD and deepen the 'mystery' (it's not a mystery, much to their chagrin) of Ash Tyler's circumstances. It showed flashes of Klingon rape because it makes the assumption that you are an adult and you can deal with what is now standard storytelling. It was not very effective, and yes, it was perhaps a little gratuitous, but it did not feel like they were going for 'come gently caress me, I'm a sexy Klingon' *at all*. It was just kind of there.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Don't be fooled, the sci fi action parts are utter crap too

There are Trekish aspects to the show but they're buried beneath lovely characters, stories, editing, direction, etc. In an 80's like vacuum (lol) STD might be ok but in 2017 it's being completely upstaged by shows like The Orville and The Expanse

If your time is limited you're better off watching Babylon 5 or DS9 or even shlock like Sea Quest at this point

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Orville's latest episode had an alien going around knowingly chemically coercing people into having sex with him. Let's not pretend The Orville is that good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was messed up, which was a shame cause it was actually a really funny episode with some of the best gags and really great alien designs in it. Very poor timing though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Any Orville episode that focuses on the fact that the captain and XO were married is a bad one. That whole concept seems like something they cooked up to give the show a gimmick, but they don't need it at all.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

ashpanash posted:

Klingon rape

Welp, I'm officially out. My wife is never going to be seeing this, after her reaction to BSG. And I'm not going to make her uncomfortable by even watching it myself without her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's Only A Paper Moon

Really good episode that's really not fun to watch. I like Vic, and Nog is one of my favorite characters on DS9, but this episode tackles a very difficult and unhappy subject head-on.

I still have mixed feelings about Ezri, though. She's blatantly not ready for the job Sisko pressed her into, though she does at least seem better at it or more willing to try than Troi.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Tighclops posted:

Don't be fooled, the sci fi action parts are utter crap too

There are Trekish aspects to the show but they're buried beneath lovely characters, stories, editing, direction, etc. In an 80's like vacuum (lol) STD might be ok but in 2017 it's being completely upstaged by shows like The Orville and The Expanse

If your time is limited you're better off watching Babylon 5 or DS9 or even shlock like Sea Quest at this point

I find it amusing people are trying to say that the loving The Expanse somehow got interesting characters. That show has exactly one half-decent overacted character and he died in S2. The rest are so loving dull. Season 1 was really bad and the only reason I'm not calling the show trash is because season 2 was actually pretty good, probably because it focused a lot on the above mentioned character

The orville is a cheesy pastiche semi comedy (???) where a lot of the plots so far have been resolved by completely retarded childish resolutions. (giving aliens sitcom tv shows or making them fall in love with eachother to stop a war lol)

In the last episode we saw a woman have sex with a slime monster after getting pheromone hypnotized lol. The orville is an entertaining show but it's not great man

Fartbox fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 13, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Y’all are being really loose with the Discovery spoilers in this thread. :argh:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Fartbox posted:

I find it amusing people are trying to say that the loving The Expanse somehow got interesting characters. That show has exactly one half-decent overacted character and he died in S2. The rest are so loving dull. Season 1 was really bad and the only reason I'm not calling the show trash is because season 2 was actually pretty good, probably because it focused a lot on the above mentioned character

The orville is a cheesy pastiche semi comedy (???) where a lot of the plots so far have been resolved by completely retarded childish resolutions. (giving aliens sitcom tv shows or making them fall in love with eachother to stop a war lol)

In the last episode we saw a woman have sex with a slime monster after getting pheromone hypnotized lol. The orville is an entertaining show but it's not great man

The Expanse has plenty of interesting, likable characters doing interesting things in a really neat, hardish-sci fi setting. No TV show or movie is perfect (argh Holden sucks and the music is dull) but it's far more compelling and thoughtfully put together down to the loving set design than anything in STD has been so far. The Orville is literally just a Star Trek show with all the exact same flaws those shows used to have but people I guess are still butthurt because the family guy man put weed and jizz references in it? Last week's episode was probably their weakest since the pilot but at least we got some solid discussion about consent and sex out of it as opposed to whatever STD is trying to get me to think of

Like I know a lot of this stuff is subjective but Star Trek feels like it is -at best- trying to play catch up to better shows that are either pushing the boundaries of what space opera can be like on TV, or delivering the type of story the franchise used to tell in it's better days. but now Trek is too busy trying to convince everybody how serious and grow'd up it is and it totally won't wreck the car this time come on mom give me the keys already mom moooOOM

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Well, you know what they say, "show don't tell," right?

Discovery prefers to do both

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
When is the first full holosuite episode in DS9? I'm up to S3E9 on my first run-through of the whole series, and I'm shocked there hasn't been one yet. I think there were 3 or 4 by this point in TNG.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lester Shy posted:

When is the first full holosuite episode in DS9? I'm up to S3E9 on my first run-through of the whole series, and I'm shocked there hasn't been one yet. I think there were 3 or 4 by this point in TNG.

Our Man Bashir. S4E9.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

No TV show or movie is perfect (argh Holden sucks and the music is dull)

Holden is seriously the worst main character and is a big part of the reason why I almost didn't get into The Expanse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Holden is seriously the worst main character and is a big part of the reason why I almost didn't get into The Expanse.

His inner monologue in the book is so similar to the starship captain that I'm not positive if I'm right that he's the detective and the other guy is the starship captain. They're basically the same character in the first book except for one big decision point.