Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It is, it's one of my favorites. Another film that lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Credit goes to MHB who made it YouTube of the day a while ago. Glad to finally catch up with it.

1978 was a good year for brutal and/or nightmarish animated films, enough so that I even cobbled together a 1978 animated movie marathon proposal:

- opening short: The Devil and Daniel Mouse
- first feature: What a Nightmare, Charlie Brown
- second short: Why Me
- second feature: Ringing Bell
- closing short: La plage
- closing feature: Watership Down

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah I think Up was alright because for example the emotional climax of the film was him having to sacrifice what symbolically represents his wife (the house) to go save the kid. I can't really remember how Inside Out ended, I guess they used Anger as a blowtorch?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are some exceptional cels of the Devil himself from The Devil and Daniel Mouse on eBay for about $12 a pop.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Ringing Bell owns, so does Unico! I have to watch Legend Of Sirius again sometime, I remember that being pretty cool too.
Late 70's/early 80's Sanrio films are cool.
Night on the Galactic Railroad is another favorite interesting anime from that time frame.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Yeah I think Up was alright because for example the emotional climax of the film was him having to sacrifice what symbolically represents his wife (the house) to go save the kid. I can't really remember how Inside Out ended, I guess they used Anger as a blowtorch?

The problem I have with that is that the house ended up going exactly where he wanted anyway. It felt like it undermined its own point.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

The problem I have with that is that the house ended up going exactly where he wanted anyway. It felt like it undermined its own point.

It did but *he never sees that it does*.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Imho a national park is no place for an old man's trash and I hope Nicolás Maduro kicks his rear end.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Hey, write what you know.

I'm glad I glanced at this thread if only to see this post cause goddamn lol

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hey! I made this cartoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc7-jWOMjYs

I hope you like it. Sorry, the sound could've been mixed better.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fangz posted:

Yeah but I would have preferred if he had to sacrifice the house for something else. Maybe they keep tracking this poor bird mom, because they know it's in danger because it's just barely Mr Magooing its way through existence with their help. I don't remember the main guy's name, so ima call him Duke, Duke has to let the house go at chubby Asian kid's insistence because this creature is wonderful and it's protecting new life and it's a great and wondrous and endangered thing and it NEEDS help this bird-mom is SO drat stupid. And then when they finally get to the point where Dumb Bird reaches its nest, like maybe it's in a cave with limited visibility, you see it with the eggs and stuff and the bird finally seeming like it's gonna make it but what are these weird things oh maannn they shine their flashlights all around and they see two HUUUGE bird skeletons in there, like orders of magnitude bigger than the bird we've been tracking, and it turns out that this is a young bird trying to help its nestlings that were late to hatch, mommy and daddy bird are DEAD and the bird needed help not because it's "incredibly loving stupid" but because it's the next generation--just a young thing in need of help and protection in its quest to help its siblings--and in a way then we see that the birds are DUKE'S children and that the great adventure of parenthood was something his wife was still able to lead him to, albeit in a bird way, and he still succeeded in, because of the adventuresome and virtuous character she helped foster in his heart.

Instead he kills an old man!! I hate that!! The old(er) man is clearly mentally unwell and needs help. He dies! He dies to prove himself right--and he was! And yet they deny him his rightful legacy in death, even though they know that his journey to clear his name against false accusations is just and true! They don't even report it to the police, they fly away to chubby Asian's boy scouts thing and his mom didn't even notice anything was awry!! She's a bad mother!!!!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
UP is weird.

Like, okay, you invented a collar that lets dogs speak. But they say dog things because they are still dogs. Later in the movie...the dogs pilot WWI era biplanes. AFAIK no dog known has possessed either the physical dexterity nor the mental capacity to operate a large, complex machine. Are we to believe, what, these dogs are the result of some sort of selective breeding program that has wildly developed their intelligence? Or perhaps that these biplanes are nearly autonomous and require no input from aforementioned doggos (if so, what function could the doges possibly be providing?)

I hope someone was fired for that blunder.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I dunno, I always felt that the emotional core of Up went together really, really well with the adventure. Like, it didn't matter that he's only going on the adventure of his dreams later in life, that was kinda the whole point? His life spent together with Ellie was one adventure and now he's going on another, and possibly more in the future.

I mean, I'm more or less with you there, even though I didn't "get it" at first. I guess I'm just still not 100% convinced that I'm not willing myself into believing it's a better movie than it is, if that makes any sense. Part of me is like "Ah, but it's supposed to feel kind of crazy in the middle, it's the adventure he's been searching for!" and part of me is like "nah it's just a flawed masterpiece."

The talking dogs are definitely the weakest part of the movie as far as making any sort of sense thematically. It's a great running gag, but it would probably work better in a different movie.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well the other guy is obviously Evil Protagonist who has allowed (noble motive) to become murderous obsession, so the hero clearly needs to learn to ultimately exceed him in a way. I agree he didn't have to die though.

I kinda hated the bird. I like dogs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

Imho a national park is no place for an old man's trash and I hope Nicolás Maduro kicks his rear end.

Nobody should ever have their rear end kicked by Nicolas Maduro, a man who succesffully rooted around in his desk drawers during a nationally televised speach to find and eat some food, and theres no way he would do anything about the house unless it were made out of gold.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Yeah but I would have preferred if he had to sacrifice the house for something else. Maybe they keep tracking this poor bird mom, because they know it's in danger because it's just barely Mr Magooing its way through existence with their help. I don't remember the main guy's name, so ima call him Duke, Duke has to let the house go at chubby Asian kid's insistence because this creature is wonderful and it's protecting new life and it's a great and wondrous and endangered thing and it NEEDS help this bird-mom is SO drat stupid. And then when they finally get to the point where Dumb Bird reaches its nest, like maybe it's in a cave with limited visibility, you see it with the eggs and stuff and the bird finally seeming like it's gonna make it but what are these weird things oh maannn they shine their flashlights all around and they see two HUUUGE bird skeletons in there, like orders of magnitude bigger than the bird we've been tracking, and it turns out that this is a young bird trying to help its nestlings that were late to hatch, mommy and daddy bird are DEAD and the bird needed help not because it's "incredibly loving stupid" but because it's the next generation--just a young thing in need of help and protection in its quest to help its siblings--and in a way then we see that the birds are DUKE'S children and that the great adventure of parenthood was something his wife was still able to lead him to, albeit in a bird way, and he still succeeded in, because of the adventuresome and virtuous character she helped foster in his heart.

Instead he kills an old man!! I hate that!! The old(er) man is clearly mentally unwell and needs help. He dies! He dies to prove himself right--and he was! And yet they deny him his rightful legacy in death, even though they know that his journey to clear his name against false accusations is just and true! They don't even report it to the police, they fly away to chubby Asian's boy scouts thing and his mom didn't even notice anything was awry!! She's a bad mother!!!!
you are a divine being

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I have always liked this movie because it's got a surprisingly complex message. Like it's clearly "revenge will just destroy everything" and "hate makes you the thing you hate", but he's also right that the sheep just hid and did nothing and trying to help the bird did nothing but cause more suffering. But the wolf is played evil enough that the message isn't some naturalistic "predators have to eat too, it's how things are" message.

It's a very young children's movie that has a message that is almost something like "the world needs killers, but people who kill are monsters" or something. Like it comes down strongly on the idea revenge and hate will take everything from you but it also comes down on cowardice and inaction (the sheep only run from the wolf king) and on someone weak standing up for someone else weak (the lamb can't protect a bird without making it worse) and the movie doesn't present any other path to strength for a sheep except growing up a wolf.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Your description makes it sound like a remake of Shane, which I'm totally down with.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I have always liked this movie because it's got a surprisingly complex message. Like it's clearly "revenge will just destroy everything" and "hate makes you the thing you hate", but he's also right that the sheep just hid and did nothing and trying to help the bird did nothing but cause more suffering. But the wolf is played evil enough that the message isn't some naturalistic "predators have to eat too, it's how things are" message.

It's a very young children's movie that has a message that is almost something like "the world needs killers, but people who kill are monsters" or something. Like it comes down strongly on the idea revenge and hate will take everything from you but it also comes down on cowardice and inaction (the sheep only run from the wolf king) and on someone weak standing up for someone else weak (the lamb can't protect a bird without making it worse) and the movie doesn't present any other path to strength for a sheep except growing up a wolf.

It's probably best to frame it in terms of the revisionist Western. In this period, beginning with films like Shane, we see this mythologized representation of American expansionism and Manifest Destiny in which moral conflicts are expressed and addressed in three parties: 1) the ostensibly civilized-but-passive settler, 2) the savage Injun or degenerate outlaw, and 3) the lonesome cowboy and/or expert gunman. The latter-most character is presented as an interstitial figure between the ideals of civilization (represented by 1) and the apparently 'natural' direction of humanity towards lawlessness and savagery (represented by 2). Being an interstitial figure, he is simultaneously so miraculously altruistic that he becomes the natural opponent of the outlaw, but his very unique capacity to carry out extra-judicial killing for 'the greater good' also means that he can never truly have a place in the ideal, civilized world. As in Shane, he's an altruistic killer, but a killer nonetheless, who acknowledges to the po-faced farmer boy that he should stay a farmer like his father, be good to his mommy, etc., before sorrowfully soldiering on into the sunset while the boy is wracked with sadness.

So, with Ringing Bell, we not only have a quasi-Western setting, but also a very similar - though much more allegorical - triangulation of moral concepts. We could say the sheep represent the civilized-but-passive settlers, the Wolf King the outlaw, and Chirin the lonesome killer. Except where Ringing Bell gets interesting is that, unlike Shane and more like the Sergio Leone film Death Rides a Horse, this po-faced farmer boy and the lonesome killer are meta-personified in the same character. We are shown the arc of Chirin abandoning the utopian meadow of the settler/sheep in order to become an outlaw/wolf, only to discover that he now has no place in either world, rendering him a phantom.

But it's important to acknowledge that this allegory only goes so far in providing critical insight. For one, while the natural opposition between predator and prey is realistic enough to suspend disbelief, the story is obviously full of fantastic bullshit. Sheep don't grow into rams because they try really hard to be savage. There's nothing Lamarckian about it, the depiction of the sheep as purely cowardly and ineffectual is a contrivance to support the pre-supposed allegory.

Moreover, there is just enough information implied about the settings and scenarios of the film to acknowledge that part of Chirin's tragedy is not the superficial quest for revenge (which is notably transferred from the Wolf King, to the sheep, and then back to the Wolf King), but that his naive mentality and traumatic experience obscures nuance where it does exist. Yes, the Wolf King very likely has good reason for believing that "In order for some to live, some must die" and that this is "the law of nature," but we have to acknowledge that death for the survival of another does not always or exclusively imply exploitation and killing. I'm referring particularly to the German shepherds who Chirin mercilessly cuts down in his doomed mission to revenge upon the sheep, but we could just as easily apply this theory to the sheep themselves. In the case of the dogs (and, we could even presume, the invisible shepherd) we have a straightforward example of a superficially stronger animal whose existence is actually symbiotic with 'weaker' ones. Now, obviously, the sheep are still exploited: their wool is taken every year, and they can be sold at any time. But whether more-or-less ideal, this domesticated symbiosis is a much preferable life to the merciless Hell that the Wolf King describes. We could even go further to highlight that while the strength of the Wolf King may be his fangs and his capacity to kill, the strength of the sheep is precisely their herd mentality and reliance on one another. Because they stick together, just as with their symbiotic relationship with the domestic dogs and shepherd, this dramatically increases their natural fitness, and more importantly ensures a quality of life that, while tragic, is actually much better than that of the Wolf King. We can blame the society of the sheep for not doing more to care for Chirin after his mother's death, surely - but we can not blame them for the despotic, diabolical position he assumes, as the narrator describes, mercilessly killing wherever he goes. And who is he and the Wolf King killing? It's not prey, but other predators. What we witness is not the exploitation of 'weaker' organisms for survival, but straightforward power grabs.

tl;dr -

Samuel Clemens posted:

Your description makes it sound like a remake of Shane, which I'm totally down with.

I have good news.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean, I'm more or less with you there, even though I didn't "get it" at first. I guess I'm just still not 100% convinced that I'm not willing myself into believing it's a better movie than it is, if that makes any sense. Part of me is like "Ah, but it's supposed to feel kind of crazy in the middle, it's the adventure he's been searching for!" and part of me is like "nah it's just a flawed masterpiece."

The talking dogs are definitely the weakest part of the movie as far as making any sort of sense thematically. It's a great running gag, but it would probably work better in a different movie.

The talking dogs tie in to the villain's basic failing of rejecting actual living humanity for living in a world of his past glories under his total control, he's start-of-the-movie Duke with a props budget and a willingness to get nasty with it. He can't bear to share the spotlight with anyone and can't really deal with people as human beings, but he can't completely do without people, so he makes his own entirely servile race out of housepets. The dogs are totally thematic the movie just did an awful job of tying its perfectly solid elements together or giving the villain in particular any space, so you get a roughly 15-second heel turn and some slapstick action scenes and a wishy-washy lesson about family=gud

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 13, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Another thing I like is that "chirin's bell"/"ringing bell" is some japanese wordplay thing but it's such a good name in english too since the story is a "you can't go back"/"you can't unring a bell" thing.

Once a demon, always a demon. You can't go home after becoming a wolf.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Maybe from thinking about things too scientifically in the first place, I always assumed the collars on the dogs in Up did more than just translate their thoughts, since dog barking can't just directly translate to a perfectly coherent sentence in a human language. Also real dogs don't really understand literally everything said by humans, so I always assumed the collars enhanced the dog's intelligence in addition to "translating" their thoughts. Or more likely some kind of brain augmentation experiments on them to give them the intelligence to communicate with people, serve dinner, and even fly little airplanes. So basically we have a pack of genetically modified super intelligent super dogs.

But maybe that's giving it more thought than the writers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It turns out that language itself is actually the foundation of civilization and technology and all dogs needed to be able to do those things was to have the mental framework, provided by language, to conceptualize doing them.

:sapir-whorf-catdrugs-but-with-dogs:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

have you ever tried giving a dog a little biplane with ergonomics designed around teeth and paws, you don't know they can't fly that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean it just seems like robots would've been a less distracting choice there

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

have you ever tried giving a dog a little biplane with ergonomics designed around teeth and paws, you don't know they can't fly that.
I dunno this guy seems ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-UmfqFjpl0

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

I WOULD PAY MONEY TO SEE A FULL LENGTH MOVIE OF DOG OF WISDOM

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Overheard a girl about I wanna say 16? saying she wants the Emoji movie, her mother immediately buts in going 'Why? I remember you calling it stupid." Then she appealed to her sister or friend, who also responded with a "You said you hated it."

Can people really forget about not liking something?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Consumerism is a hell of a drug.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That's like my dad's girlfriend and her daughter getting all worked up over a "challenge" in their starbucks app where if they buy a frappucino every day for two weeks they'll get double rewards points or something, and all the way to the starbucks they were discussing it and talking about frappucinos and what a great app is, and as we pull into the starbucks drive-through, literally just before she orders a venti frapp, she says, "I wish I liked frappucinos".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's like my dad's girlfriend and her daughter getting all worked up over a "challenge" in their starbucks app where if they buy a frappucino every day for two weeks they'll get double rewards points or something, and all the way to the starbucks they were discussing it and talking about frappucinos and what a great app is, and as we pull into the starbucks drive-through, literally just before she orders a venti frapp, she says, "I wish I liked frappucinos".

That's just such a grim image.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Consumerism, is scary.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

sexpig by night posted:

That's just such a grim image.

I think I'll be telling that anecdote for the rest of my life, or until capitalism crumbles, because it's such a perfect encapsulation of the process and its impact on human functions.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Robindaybird posted:

Overheard a girl about I wanna say 16? saying she wants the Emoji movie, her mother immediately buts in going 'Why? I remember you calling it stupid." Then she appealed to her sister or friend, who also responded with a "You said you hated it."

Can people really forget about not liking something?

I watched the emoji movie because it's stupid. Like half the internet is vlogs about watching bad movies. Teen girls can want to watch something ironically as much as teen boys do. Emoji movie is kinda too boring to be the next food fight or something but it's one of the worst movies made in the last decades and that alone makes it worth seeing for some people.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Consuming things you don't like "ironically" is actually a thing only a cretin would do. There is no irony present, you are not in on the joke.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What if I legitimately like to watch trash occasionally?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Consuming things you don't like "ironically" is actually a thing only a cretin would do. There is no irony present, you are not in on the joke.

The room, food, fight, birdemic, fatal findings, troll 2, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, manos, etc are all some of my favorite movies. Lots of people enjoy bad movies. Emoji movie fails to be top tier in "so bad it's good" but it's at least the sort of movie that could have been that.

Liking something ironically is liking a movie BECAUSE it's bad. A guilty pleasure is liking a movie DESPITE it being bad.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's okay to enjoy things that aren't officially sanctioned high culture or whatever, I'm posting in a thread about cartoons here, but if you need to defend your tastes by claiming they're "ironic" and insisting you actually think they're terrible you're just a lazier version of the same idiot as those teenagers doing backyard recreations of the poo poo they saw on Jackass.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I love the Dolph Lundgren Masters of the Universe movie, fight me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/930469811036987392

Oh hey.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 14, 2017