Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Are there any rpgs with a plot similar to the tactics ogre law route?

The Cold Emperor path of Rondo of Swords?

If you do play it, I recommend using a guide to figure out how to actually play the drat thing. And to see all the conversations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I chose not to get Undertale because the random encounter rate looked miserable from watching a bit of it on stream, but I thought it was cool when nerds got mad because it won best game ever on GameFAQs or something. well that's my Undertale story

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Random encounter rate in Undertale is low.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Random encounter rate in Undertale is low.

It's pretty bad in the Ruins, and that's exacerbated by the enemies themselves being fairly repetitive as well.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm thinking mostly of the bit where after chapter 1 you're asked to slaughter a town of innocent people and if you say yes the game says "ok, what does a story about the person who decided to do this look like"

Without knowing specifics of "shady poo poo" I guess it's hard to know if that describes what I'm thinking of? Tactics ogre law route has a pretty overt theme of "I've done some unquestionably awful things, but I am creating a better world by being the one willing to soak my hands in blood" and I thought that was really cool. Law denam is arguably not an evil person but he's certainly done and continues to do evil deeds and the relatives of those he's murdered keep showing up to remind him of that
Tyranny can be close to that depending on how you play.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nihilarian posted:

I chose not to get Undertale because the random encounter rate looked miserable from watching a bit of it on stream, but I thought it was cool when nerds got mad because it won best game ever on GameFAQs or something. well that's my Undertale story

encounter rate in the first area sucks but when you get into the game proper it's pretty low and you don't get too many repeats

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

you should play der langrisser
I always did like Warsong. Probably my first brush with permadeath.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

It's pretty bad in the Ruins, and that's exacerbated by the enemies themselves being fairly repetitive as well.

Yeah, the Ruins is by far the roughest area in Undertale which makes sense as it was the first done.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The music is cool and tsunderplane amuses me. Those are my Undertale thoughts, thanks for listening.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

GrandpaPants posted:

For some reason Chinese Paladin just reminds me of Paladin's Quest, which had a lot of neat ideas and a neat aesthetic that really deserved to be tacked onto a better game.

Also what was the last decent ARPG in the vein of Secret of Mana/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma?

With that Secret of Mana remake coming out I would love if they gave Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma/Actraiser similar treatment. Shame that it'll probably never happen but one can always dream.

I really wish they'd have embraced Actraiser more than they did. A game like that could thrive nowadays if they kept the budget under management.

Dragonturtle fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 13, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

The ruins are almost completely unchanged from the original demo, while toby fox had years to refine everything else. And, uh, didn't polish up the ruins for some reason?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

HGH posted:

der langrisser is very good. i always like it when a game dedicates a lot of effort to exploring 'what if' paths. of course in der langrisser there are the 5 routes, but also special dialogue for when you kill things that you really probably aren't meant to be able to kill, things like that.

Endorph posted:

The Cold Emperor path of Rondo of Swords?

If you do play it, I recommend using a guide to figure out how to actually play the drat thing. And to see all the conversations.

one day I will do this... rondo of swords started out so cool. the way you attack enemies makes positioning super important. then they introduce mages...

edit: also i WILL post thoughts on tangyou....far east of eden 0 when i play it more. right now I am trying to get through smt III and if i put it down now i know ill just never finish it

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 14, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zereth posted:

The ruins are almost completely unchanged from the original demo, while toby fox had years to refine everything else. And, uh, didn't polish up the ruins for some reason?

Yup. Dogs can’t program good.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just found Undertale boring. Everyone was all 'just get past the ruins and it will be fine!' but those skeletons just didn't keep my interest. The fights get really old after a while as well. Also, the game calling a cactus 'tsundere' didn't exactly make me warm up to the writing.

The game does some neat stuff with how it keeps track of your choices, both the ones you were happy with, and the ones that made you reload a save. I'll give it that.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 14, 2017

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I knew Undertale was brilliant when it kept track of which characters I petted in FE Fates

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

I knew Undertale was brilliant when it kept track of which characters I petted in FE Fates

Eh he was basically just ripping off that bit in Metal Gear Solid where Psycho Mantis makes creepy commentary on all the wives you've picked in every Harvest Moon game you have a save for.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Really Pants posted:

I know it's cool to hate now but Undertale
But like the other poster said, the demon route actually has the better outcome in the end. The protagonist is such an evil piece of poo poo that everybody including the villains from the normal route decide to team up to defeat him.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I will die for the BFF Empire.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
From a few Chinese Paladin 6 vids I have discovered that one of the characters appears to be a bear with a cannon strapped to his back. If it’s not too expensive or broken I think I’ll pick it up when it hits.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HGH posted:

Warsong's better performance (Langrisser lags to poo poo) but Langrisser has a significant number of differing paths through the game, a functional AI that uses more than 2 lines of code, and the ability to just go 'hmm no I think I'll be a gigantic cock actually' to the rest of the do-gooder party.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HGH posted:

What the hell?
Dumbass localization gameplay changes are so baffling. Come to think of it was 7th Saga's butchering of difficulty just to drive up rental sales?

As a kid I was so baffled by how loving powerful the other apprentices got when they weren't in your party. IIRC, the change was basically that your character (and anyone in your party) only every gets their base range of stat gains when they level. The NPC apprentices, when not in your party, got (the intended?) stat gains of base range growth plus level/10 or something. End result: Level 60 Lux in your party is lucky to have 4-500 HP. A level 60 Lux that you recruit in to your party has triple that HP and enough attack that they can one-shot the final boss if they defend-attack (and you boost their atk stat).

Also as a result of this, if you don't get the Star Rune by level 15-16, and the Sky Rune by the mid 20s (unless you can recruit the holder) you cannot beat the game because the apprentices will take almost no damage from you while being able to kill you in 1-2 hits. Being able to see and avoid encounters was nice but more often than not you just got swarmed and had to fight constantly.

Oh and 7th Saga also had a section right before the end of the game where if you save you game (and you almost certainly would) after a certain point you are locked in to having to do a boss fight that was decently tough in its own right even before you add in the boss having a chance to completely nullify attacks made against it. Want to grind to try and get better gear/stats to power through the fight? Well too bad. Load a save you have from before that point or enjoy starting over if you can't just get a bunch of RNG in your favor.

...it took me for loving ever to beat that game. Thank god you can level grind with a turbo controller and that I was able to recruit the Sky Rune's owner (Lux) after doing so because if i couldn't it would've been yet another restart.

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm thinking mostly of the bit where after chapter 1 you're asked to slaughter a town of innocent people and if you say yes the game says "ok, what does a story about the person who decided to do this look like"

Without knowing specifics of "shady poo poo" I guess it's hard to know if that describes what I'm thinking of? Tactics ogre law route has a pretty overt theme of "I've done some unquestionably awful things, but I am creating a better world by being the one willing to soak my hands in blood" and I thought that was really cool. Law denam is arguably not an evil person but he's certainly done and continues to do evil deeds and the relatives of those he's murdered keep showing up to remind him of that

Law Denam is definitely evil and I don't recall if he ever acknowledges the fact that he's no better than Lans Tartaros.

Even Denam's best route (refuse the slaughter then reconcile with your allies neutral route I think? IIRC that's the only one you could do things like recruit the 4 shaman sisters on PSX as well as recruit Kachua to eventually make her the queen) has a hell of a lot worse stuff than most of Destin's good routes in Ogre Battle, let alone the true ending for Ogre Battle (or Ramza in FFT). Maybe the PSP remake changed some of that but I just remember playing it on PSX and thinking that Denam's options are to become the monster he hates, or just do some slightly less evil poo poo than the people around him want to do to maybe/hopefully set things right.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Law TO:LUCT route blew my mind as a kid because I did Chaos first and then went back and replayed and thought I'd get a "But thou must!" type thing from choosing the Law choice but NOPE. Surprised the poo poo out of me but it cemented that game (the remake moreso) into being the Absolute #1 Best SRPG ever

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

HGH posted:

If you liked Warsong then definitely play Der Langrisser. It's got multiple routes, all of which have story variations depending on other choices, and also refines the cool battle system from Warsong. Generally just a great game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Evil Fluffy posted:

Law Denam is definitely evil and I don't recall if he ever acknowledges the fact that he's no better than Lans Tartaros.

Even Denam's best route (refuse the slaughter then reconcile with your allies neutral route I think? IIRC that's the only one you could do things like recruit the 4 shaman sisters on PSX as well as recruit Kachua to eventually make her the queen) has a hell of a lot worse stuff than most of Destin's good routes in Ogre Battle, let alone the true ending for Ogre Battle (or Ramza in FFT). Maybe the PSP remake changed some of that but I just remember playing it on PSX and thinking that Denam's options are to become the monster he hates, or just do some slightly less evil poo poo than the people around him want to do to maybe/hopefully set things right.

The PSP version makes the Law path the best option. Apparently they realized no one ever went law in the SNES/PS1 version, so they went to ridiculous levels of overcompensation: Ravness, the new character that they added and who was featured prominently in a lot of promotional material? Law exclusive. Half the post game stuff they added? Requires Vyse to be alive, so you have to do the Law path. Aloser/Arycelle, the overpowered Archer who used to be a Chaos exclusive? Now you can get her in the Law path. Ozma? Law exclusive.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ohtsam posted:

I hope rather than a sequel XBX gets a directors cut that changes the game flow, adds in the story/lore that was pretty obviously cut (like wtf was up with those shadow creatures and the telethia) and adds a post game that explores what happens after that post credits cliffhanger twist. I absolutely love the gameplay, setting and the exploration but the story and how the missions played out were half-baked at best.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I want a plot that focuses more on the planet. The main draw of XBX for me is exploring the planet, throughout the game there are various hints that Mira is a weird planet that you can't actually escape from and that it interacts in weird ways with anyone on it. A plot about figuring out the mystery of planet would go hand in hand with my main draw.

I mean looking at Splatoon 2 and MK8DX a special edition of XCX doesn't seem unlikely. I have to imagine Nintendo will mine the Wii U for games for years. The real question is whether it will just be rebalanced and prettied up or if they'll add content.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah, legit, Undertale's genocide route is simply something I will not do. I refuse to do content on a video game for moral reasons, and I can't think of any other game that I've ever had that situation be so.

New Vegas and the Legion does this for me. I got every other cheevo in that game, done pretty much everything else, but gently caress Caesar.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Planescape: Torment is for me the one I have a really hard time doing an evil playthrough in, that game does a very good job at making you feel like a legitimately horrible person.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

it's been a little while but i thought that in his conversations with vyce his response to being called out on his evil deeds is basically "yes, it's true, i am a horrible monster, but i'm also getting things done and at the end of the day i'm the one that will create a unified isle." it contrasts quite a bit with how chaos denam spends chapter 2 doing Basically Nothing, because he's an enemy of both galgastan and the walister and has few allies and little ability to directly impact the war. he just spends the whole time running, while law denam at an equivalent time is much more of an active participant in the conflict.

it parallels the conflict between the two lanselots, and the fact that ultimately, tartaros is the winner there. i thought it was a neat acknowledgement of the value of "you can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs" while also making it clear why characters who have that philosophy are generally portrayed as villains

also, i thought the neutral route was the worst? felt to me like the idea behind going neutral was "well now you're just being a hypocrite dude" and all of your friends who stuck with you when you went chaos abandon you as soon as you make it clear that your morals aren't something you're gonna strictly hold yourself to anymore. arycelle in particular i recall as taking an astronomical hit to her loyalty stat thing and is nearly guaranteed to desert immediately.

it's been like 5-6 years so i genuinely don't know how much of this i'm just bullshitting off of my foggy impression of the game

but i definitely remember being able to make your sister the queen in law, that's a route-independent choice. you just get a choice in chapter 4 after all the routes have unified and she either kills herself or doesn't, and i recall the choice being kinda bullshit because the two options are like, the same thing but worded a little different (because your tone and the way your present yourself and your priorities to her are what ultimately influences her decision)

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 14, 2017

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Reminder that Langrisser IV got sorted out awhile back, even if III and the rest still unfortunately remain in limbo:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1711/

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kanfy posted:

Planescape: Torment is for me the one I have a really hard time doing an evil playthrough in, that game does a very good job at making you feel like a legitimately horrible person.

Yeah, because that game doesn't turn you into a moustache-twirling villain that kicks puppies. Your character becomes a sociopath. And so many of the terrible, awful things you do aren't done because you're evil, or because it's fun or bullshit like that, it's because the results are useful. There's a reason the most heinous of all your incarnations is called the Practical Incarnation.

Edit: I mean in most RPGs, Bioware ones especially, the evil path might have you hurt or, ooh, kill someone. In Planescape, you turn the entire purpose of their continuing existence into a lie because it helps you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A lot of the Renegade decisions in Mass Effect weren't even evil, just pointlessly reckless and stupid.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

A lot of the Renegade decisions in Mass Effect weren't even evil, just pointlessly reckless and stupid.

To be fair, punching that reporter was pretty satisfying.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Cheesy one-liner. *explodes a passerby*

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Could just knock out or otherwise restrain mechanic. *Impales him with arc welder*

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

exquisite tea posted:

A lot of Renegade options were basically just the badass action movie star option.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

A lot of Renegade options were basically just the badass action movie star option.

Bioware had a lot of trouble deciding whether renegade should be that or just straight up evil

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My favorite renegade option from the entire series, just because it comes so out of left field, was in ME2 when you're trying to get the guy at the bottom level Citadel shop to give you a discount. Shepard starts shouting "hey, this shop discriminates against the poor!" outside the storefront until the clerk finally relents, to which Shepard replies, "Well, all right. But you still hurt my feelings."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I run this ship military. *has sex with the entire crew*

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite renegade option was going to the krogan home world and seemlessly integrating into krogan culture by smashing your face into a krogan that was arguing with you

ME3's greatest mistake was not giving you a krogan teammate tbh

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Reminder that Langrisser IV got sorted out awhile back, even if III and the rest still unfortunately remain in limbo:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1711/

It's too bad nobody ever translated the direct sequel. I really enjoyed IV though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wild ARMs bug bit me. Should I bother playing Alter Code F?