Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MourningView posted:

He’d be a good hire!

I agree, but has he even been mentioned much in Tennessee? Everyone seems fixated on other candidates. Speaking of which, Tom Shatel of the OWH is going all in

quote:

I absolutely believe Frost will say yes.

There’s no reason to wait. There’s going to be a change. We all know it. Moos said as much in comments to ESPN’s Mitch Sherman on Monday.

You don’t have to offer Frost the job right now. But you can express interest and get a feeling for how much it’s going to take, whether money or things Frost would want in the program.

It might be happening as we speak. According to Mike’l Severe of “The Bottom Line,” ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg told the show that Nebraska has “made its intentions known to UCF” that it wants Frost.

What does that mean? Who knows? But if Moos hasn’t made the call, it’s time. I believe it’s the call Frost wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Real Name Grover posted:

I agree, but has he even been mentioned much in Tennessee? Everyone seems fixated on other candidates. Speaking of which, Tom Shatel of the OWH is going all in

Lol this holier than thou dude actually thinks Nebraska doesn't have bag men:

quote:

Let me counter with this: The SEC is full of shady deals and dealers who push the envelope to the limit and beyond. Doing whatever it takes. I can’t see Frost wanting to be around that.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

an adult beverage posted:

Man I bet even a team like UAB has bag men

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Man I bet even a team like UAB has bag men

poo poo, D3 schools probably have bag men. Or at least rampant recruiting violations, some D3 tennis program got the death penalty a while back.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

poo poo man, like 7 in 10 Nebraskans are bag men

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
SEC bag men are probably way more insane than regular old bag men (like make the boosters blush insane), so it won't surprise me if someone actually takes that into consideration when offered an SEC job.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I bet even a JUCO like EMCC has bag men.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

MourningView posted:

I think I’d much rather have Mike Norvell than Jon Gruden at this point

I’d be loving psyched for Norvell.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

He’s lower on the list but he usually comes up in the second tier of guys they’d look at after the usual suspects and Gruden.

Grittybeard posted:

poo poo, D3 schools probably have bag men. Or at least rampant recruiting violations, some D3 tennis program got the death penalty a while back.

We had a really good running back who occasionally had boosters give him stuff, but mostly just like money for dinner or whatever. There were also some guys who were on “academic” scholarships that I don’t think they’d have gotten if they didn’t play sports. I think the most I ever got was beers at one of the bars in town. It might be crazier at somewhere like one of the bigger UW D3 schools though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It wouldn't surprise me if Oshkosh, Platteville, and Whitewater had some shady poo poo going on with either football or basketball.

e: I mean poo poo, Whitewater athletics are advertised on Fox Sports Wisconsin.

iospace fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 14, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

MourningView posted:

We had a really good running back who occasionally had boosters give him stuff, but mostly just like money for dinner or whatever. There were also some guys who were on “academic” scholarships that I don’t think they’d have gotten if they didn’t play sports.

I have a cousin who played soccer for a D3 school and got a “leadership” scholarship that was definitely not related to athletics, we pinky swear.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

e: I mean poo poo, Whitewater athletics are advertised on Fox Sports Wisconsin.

To be fair this isn't the most surprising thing now. A lot of local/regional networks are getting into covering DII and DIII schools since it's cheap and an easy way to fill some timeslots.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

To be fair this isn't the most surprising thing now. A lot of local/regional networks are getting into covering DII and DIII schools since it's cheap and an easy way to fill some timeslots.

Well yeah, but this is a full on commercial for UWW, not "oh, 30 minutes covering the school"

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Real Name Grover posted:

poo poo man, like 7 in 10 Nebraskans are bag men
That low, huh

just lol if you ever lived in Nebraska and weren't a bag man

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Well I have to account for the people who actively hate Nebraska football, most of whom hate sports in general

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So it's been confirmed that Gruden has also contacted Randy Sanders and Jay Graham at FSU so he's either trolling the gently caress out of (reddit) Tennessee fans or there's actually something there.

Assuming this thing is real, it's weird that he's trying to fill his staff with former UT guys. I guess I get the thought process, bring them home, but I gotta imagine there's better staff out there than a bunch of Vols

bring Tee home

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Report: SEC would not stop Florida from hiring Chip Kelly.

quote:

The Florida-based lawyer who provided an eye-opening update on Chip Kelly on Monday dropped another interesting nugget Tuesday.

Speaking on WJOX 94.5 FM, Darren Heitner said he spoke to a source who said there’s “some sort of verbal commitment” that there will be no issue for Florida in trying to hire Chip Kelly. Earlier, a report surfaced that suggested an SEC bylaw could prevent any school within the conference from hiring the former Oregon and NFL coach.

This guy seems to be all over lately. Has he called anything else besides Mac out?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Joey Freshwater posted:

So it's been confirmed that Gruden has also contacted Randy Sanders and Jay Graham at FSU so he's either trolling the gently caress out of (reddit) Tennessee fans or there's actually something there.

Assuming this thing is real, it's weird that he's trying to fill his staff with former UT guys. I guess I get the thought process, bring them home, but I gotta imagine there's better staff out there than a bunch of Vols

bring Tee home

I love you Joey, but I want you to read the Cliff Notes Version of The Gruden Thread in 2012. Pretty much the same exact rumors from the same exact people. I am not buying any of it.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/176570-gruden-thread-daily-cliffs-notes-info-discussion-please.html

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dude no poo poo, I've made it clear that I don't want nor believe that he's coming. I'm just talking about what I've seen and saying that they rumors don't make much sense (though he has apparently he actually has reached out to those guys for whatever reason) even if they were true.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Being a Bucs and Vols fan right now is pretty tough when I absolutely don’t want Gruden for either team.

One way or another he’s gonna be HC for one of my teams, isn’t he?

Well at the very least I think Gruden is better than Ed Orgeron so if you get good coordinator hires and good enough recruiting then it shouldn't be that bad. I would however worry about an NFL Xs and Os giant playbook nerd trying to run an offense that is too complicated for the limited practice time colllege setting.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I'm not going to lie, I've been a quarter-mast since Chip Kelly rumors have been circulating. I won't go full :gizz: until there's real smoke, but just the idea of it....:swoon:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm sure changing SEC rules to hire a coach will work out just as well for Florida as changing the SEC rules so they could play Malik Zaire did

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm sure changing SEC rules to hire a coach will work out just as well for Florida as changing the SEC rules so they could play Malik Zaire did

Hiring a good and formerly very successful coach would probably work out well for Florida, yes.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

It just seems like it's that one guy who is the source of all the chip Kelly rumors though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

It just seems like it's that one guy who is the source of all the chip Kelly rumors though.

It seems like the stories are mostly just about Florida being interested in him, which, like, no poo poo

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Chip Kelly is insanely overrated, I don't get it

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Scionix posted:

Much like your posting.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Scionix posted:

Saban went from criticizing Kelly's fast-paced offense to imitating it, didn't he?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

We are now in the obnoxious flight tracker phase of the coaching hunt as Gator boards now posting a flight from Gainesville to Connecticut today apparently on a booster 's plane.

vyst posted:

Much like your posting.

Boom. Headshot.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I love the Chip rumors because they are continually wrong so far.

https://twitter.com/treyw_radio/status/930515151413022720

https://twitter.com/seccountryuf/status/930524886333870085

https://twitter.com/pat_dooley/status/930525311904645121

https://twitter.com/scottstricklin/status/930537602456981505

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Stricklin responding to all this bullshit with "lol nope" is great

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
That Wallace guy is one of the people pushing Gruden to Tennessee rumor. The guy either has the best insiders ever or he is smartly using the coaching searches to get his name out there.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

nate fisher posted:

That Wallace guy is one of the people pushing Gruden to Tennessee rumor. The guy either has the best insiders ever or he is smartly using the coaching searches to get his name out there.

hes not the only one, there are some smart people doing it, but hes one of the loudest

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Blue Raider posted:

hes not the only one, there are some smart people doing it, but hes one of the loudest

I was surprised to see Swain pushing it yesterday. That one started to make me think it was possible. He has the inside track with his relationship with Fulmer. That said he has back tracked today to the point he doesn’t believe it will happen.

I think people (out of East Tennessee) do truly underestimate Gruden’s relationship with Tennessee, but I think he goes pro if he ever coaches again. Honestly 2012 left such a bad taste in my mouth, especially with the Gruden rumors.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Dan Wolken reports that Texas A&M is “expected to” gauge the interest of Jimbo Fisher “once its separation from current coach Kevin Sumlin is official at the end of the season.”

:munch:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I was surprised to see Swain pushing it yesterday. That one started to make me think it was possible. He has the inside track with his relationship with Fulmer. That said he has back tracked today to the point he doesn’t believe it will happen.

I think people (out of East Tennessee) do truly underestimate Gruden’s relationship with Tennessee, but I think he goes pro if he ever coaches again. Honestly 2012 left such a bad taste in my mouth, especially with the Gruden rumors.

The main reason that I'm inclined to disbelieve it is that he's a man who has both hoisted the trophy and not coached in a decade or at the college level. I think he's capable of succeeding in a program that has the size and pressure of Tennessee, but it's far from a sure thing, and he knows it. He may not want to take the risk of his legacy getting a black eye, and it'd be a big black eye.

That said, there are some things afoot about him that I don't believe are bullshit.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

...why would Jimbo leave FSU?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ehud posted:

He may not leave willingly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ehud posted:

I'm guessing it's more a "hey we're covering all our bases and asking everyone" thing

iospace posted:

His buyout is over $39 million and they went 10-3 last year. He's not going anywhere. Near as I can tell the only more expensive buyout in the nation right now is Dabo at an even $40mil.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

iospace posted:

Have things seriously devolved that quickly?

• Locked thread