Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the oneplus is particularly bad, since it was known to transmit your device's imei, phone number, and other personally-identifiable information earlier this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

more like onepiss!!!!!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RISCy Business posted:

more like onepiss!!!!!

one plus one equals don't buy one!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ric_cole/status/930381423814594560

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in the thread:

https://twitter.com/zippyman818/status/930571284181897216

whoops

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
is SM a russian facebook or instagram or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well the geotagged map has a vk icon, which is russian facebook. i just assumed SM meant social media

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

i'm probably going to end up buying a pixel 2 before this day ends. how bad is this for an android phone? i had a nexus 5 until the power button killed itself :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Acer Pilot posted:

i'm probably going to end up buying a pixel 2 before this day ends. how bad is this for an android phone? i had a nexus 5 until the power button killed itself :(

the pixel 2s are good as hell and the people who are going to tell you otherwise are the kinds of idiots who cried when steve jobs died of terminal stupidity

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

i see that it has a fingerprint scanner. i'm guessing it doesn't do that 5 presses disables the scanner thing that iphones do?

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

fishmech posted:

the pixel 2s are good as hell and the people who are going to tell you otherwise are the kinds of idiots who cried when steve jobs died of terminal stupidity

agreeing with this as someone who isnt fishmech

i have a pixel 2xl and my gf has a pixel 2, both are very needs suiting

edit: why is this in the security thread

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Acer Pilot posted:

i see that it has a fingerprint scanner. i'm guessing it doesn't do that 5 presses disables the scanner thing that iphones do?

No, sadly. That's not in Android yet, to my knowledge.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

one plus one equals don't buy one!

they call it the one plus one because when you see it you turn two degrees and walk away

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

they call it the one plus one because when you see it you turn two degrees and walk away

*two degrees of freedom

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've made a few blog posts and a few talks in the past about the issues of JSON badly specifying duplicate keys. This can lead to two services taking on a role or username in different ways based on how they process them. It turns out there's been an RCE in CouchDB and possibly npm itself by lifting that ability: https://justi.cz/security/2017/11/14/couchdb-rce-npm.html

Jewel
May 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/adrjeffries/status/930784132682174464

Safe™©®Graph

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh good finally a concrete reason to keep location services off on my phone unless i need it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

your carrier is probably selling tower triangulation data as a subscription service anyway

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

ate all the Oreos posted:

oh good finally a concrete reason to keep location services off on my phone unless i need it

use iOS which rats out things abusing background location services because Steve cares about your privacy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

use iOS which rats out things abusing background location services because Steve cares about your privacy

is that the case for 1st-party apps too? I don't see the background location indicator running generally, but it knows where I am to offer traffic timing when I get in my car

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

i wasn't even thinking third party apps i was thinking google/apple reselling the data that they collect but ok

Subjunctive posted:

your carrier is probably selling tower triangulation data as a subscription service anyway

yeah i figure something like this goes on too, i can pretend like I'm making a difference though :(

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

You can't even delete your location history with Google if you accidentally turn it on :saddowns:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

is that the case for 1st-party apps too? I don't see the background location indicator running generally, but it knows where I am to offer traffic timing when I get in my car

apple knows everything but at least they aren't in the business of selling it

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

sadus posted:

You can't even delete your location history with Google if you accidentally turn it on :saddowns:

Maps > Your Timeline > Pick a day and click the trashcan OR click on the settings gear in the lower right and delete everything.

tbf, it wasn't obvious where the delete all option was tucked away.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Subjunctive posted:

those are hidden but you can flip a switch to show all location access, just the system services crowd it so much the icon becomes meaningless. mostly thats the fault of reminders checking to see if you set a location for a geofence and the timezone setting of all things, which had a history of getting stuck early on and draining the battery

privacy > location > system services > alllllll the way at the bottom - status bar icon

you can clear frequent locations here and also stop things like location ads so the app store doesnt recommend what people download or use in the area

actually that is funny sometimes so maybe dont if you like seeing the terrible things people at malls and the office enjoy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tfw siri decides you live at a bar downtown and tells you how long it will take you to get "home"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

tfw siri decides you live at a bar downtown and tells you how long it will take you to get "home"

Jewel
May 2, 2009

vendors.txt 🤡

https://twitter.com/ian_infosec/status/930559338091110400

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

research shows helmets encourage dangerous biking ipso facto encryption is bad

CHECKMATE APPLE

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Perplx posted:

apple knows everything but at least they aren't in the business of selling it

Apple also takes pretty great pains to only ever store data in a non reversibly anonymized format.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

Apple also takes pretty great pains to only ever store data in a non reversibly anonymized format.

i think i saw some papers that its not as good as they paint it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cis autodrag posted:

and to do it all client side in the first place when possible, this is now a banner feature of their big announcements

they also talk a lot about differential privacy (basically mathematical methods for making it harder to disaggregate data)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 15, 2017

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Google has done the same thing to me. I work from home, so it decided my house is "Work". If I leave my house after 5 PM there's about a 50/50 shot I'm going to a bar a few blocks away, so it I'm guessing that's what got their systems thinking it must be home.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

A little late to the party, but

:wow:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

wolrah posted:

Google has done the same thing to me. I work from home, so it decided my house is "Work". If I leave my house after 5 PM there's about a 50/50 shot I'm going to a bar a few blocks away, so it I'm guessing that's what got their systems thinking it must be home.

Drinkshaming :(

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUMH6DVYskc

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wolrah posted:

Yeah, same for me.

• Locked thread