Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Iron Crowned posted:

I just want Rampage on my PS4 in all it's 8 bit glory

They should do an HD update of World Tour or Universal Tour. 16:9 resolution would really help those games all on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's what they wasted the extremely good name 'Pureflix' on??

I always get it confused with Cleanflix which is not something anyone would want to be associated with.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In the latest "TV series based on movies" news, classic Reitman/Murray/Ramis comedy Stripes is being developed by Reitman and the Whitest Kids U Know crew for CBS.
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/stripes-series-cbs-1202617011/

I know that they were technically responsible for one of the worst-reviewed movies of all time but WKUK has a ton of great sketches and it makes me kind of sad that they fell into the same memory hole every other post-YouTube TV sketch comedy troupe that isn't Lonely Island fell into.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Derrick Comedy was pretty successful, though not as a group. Don and Ellie bring the most successful on screen but the other guys doing good writing work.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Gonna toot my PYF sketch comedy thread horn here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835939

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Iron Crowned posted:

I just hope that they don't make a new tie-in game for Rapage, re-release the arcade classic on all systems :colbert:

My local arcade still has it :getin:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lizzie is the real hero of Rampage, should have been the protagonist. IMO.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MariusLecter posted:

Lizzie is the real hero of Rampage, should have been the protagonist. IMO.

Any Lizzie plot's going to be real thin.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lobok posted:

Any Lizzie plot's going to be real thin.

Boo! Boo this person!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I guess there's been a jailbreak and the boys are back in town.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Anyone want to get bicurious, meaning you are curious about the two different Curious George projects?

The first one is just announced and there is nothing explained about it except it is an origin story

quote:

Millennium Media has signed an exclusive deal with the H.A. and Margaret Rey Estate, authors of the beloved children’s books, Curious George as well with Lay Lee Ong, estate literary executor. This is quite a departure for Millennium, and signals the kind of material it will start to produce with its new president Jeffrey Greenstein and co-president Jonathan Yunger at the helm.

They will start developing an untitled project that will tell the incredible origin story that saved the character Curious George, the true story of H.A. and Margaret Rey. This comes after Millennium Media’s Jonathan Yunger and Jeffrey Greenstein had been chasing the project for nearly two years.

The other one is mentioned in passing in the article:

quote:

Meanwhile, a live-action musical based on the character Curious George is works at Universal with Andrew Adamson attached to direct and Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, and Erica Huggins producing alongside David Kirschner and Jon Shapiro. That one is not an origin story.

Not sure the logic or legality of selling film rights to two different companies but I'm sure a pack of lawyers will enjoy the nice payday they get when one of them does bad and the company blames the other project for ruining their box office!

http://deadline.com/2017/11/millennium-exclusive-deal-curious-george-rey-estate-origin-story-1202210756/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Curious George's origin story is that the man in a yellow hat kidnaps a monkey, by stuffing it in a bag.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

drat't. I had Millennium confused with Legendary studios and I was gonna make a dumb joke about Curious George being in the Godzilla/Skull Island shared universe and now it's ruined.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
George grows into a giant and wrecks a city.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Skwirl posted:

Curious George's origin story is that the man in a yellow hat kidnaps a monkey, by stuffing it in a bag.

This one's going to be set in the Planet of the Apes universe

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This Thanksgiving I am thankful we have many ape movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I misread Curious George as Gorgeous George and got kinda excited.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Grendels Dad posted:

I misread Curious George as Gorgeous George and got kinda excited.

who would play the goons that crank call him all the time

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Do we really need more dramatic biopics of the authors of kids books? There are several now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tars Tarkas posted:

Anyone want to get bicurious, meaning you are curious about the two different Curious George projects?

~15 years ago there was a "huge" controversy cause the publishers of Peter Pedal (as he was called in Denmark since the first translation) were trying to consolidate or something, so they demanded that all future Danish translations should be Nysgerrige Georg which is way too clumsy for a children's book.

It got pretty heated, I think the Danish publisher or maybe someone else, they promised to publish little stickers with the "correct" name so you could fix the future books.

Eventually they decided not to force the name change and so we still enjoy Peter Pedal. He rides a bike you see!

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Powaqoatse posted:

~15 years ago there was a "huge" controversy cause the publishers of Peter Pedal (as he was called in Denmark since the first translation) were trying to consolidate or something, so they demanded that all future Danish translations should be Nysgerrige Georg which is way too clumsy for a children's book.

It got pretty heated, I think the Danish publisher or maybe someone else, they promised to publish little stickers with the "correct" name so you could fix the future books.

Eventually they decided not to force the name change and so we still enjoy Peter Pedal. He rides a bike you see!

It's always fascinating to see how pop-culture characters are translated around the world. In college I had a roommate who was Brazilian, and he had some Portuguese translations of Calvin & Hobbes collections. In this language, Hobbes isn't called Hobbes, he's Haroldo: Calvin e Haroldo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Capn Jobe posted:

It's always fascinating to see how pop-culture characters are translated around the world. In college I had a roommate who was Brazilian, and he had some Portuguese translations of Calvin & Hobbes collections. In this language, Hobbes isn't called Hobbes, he's Haroldo: Calvin e Haroldo.

It doesn't really matter too much for the comic, but Hobbes is specifically named after philosopher Thomas Hobbes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Skwirl posted:

It doesn't really matter too much for the comic, but Hobbes is specifically named after philosopher Thomas Hobbes.

I would have thought Calvin was named after the inventor of Calvinism, just because those two names together can't be coincidence.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

I would have thought Calvin was named after the inventor of Calvinism, just because those two names together can't be coincidence.

You are correct. I just didn't mention it because they didn't change that name in Brazil.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Capn Jobe posted:

Haa that's a weird change. I know the origin of Calvin & Hobbes names but in Denmark they're called Steen & Stoffer. Steen is an old classic name; Stoffer is short for the also classic name Christoffer; like Topher basically.

There's no connotation to them. I suppose the translator just went "welp i dont care enough". Also we don't have a tradition for using surnames as given names so it would be weird if Calvin was called like Grundtvig or something lol

Nowadays children can be named Calvin legally – not sure about Hobbes (nobody legally named that anyway).

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Beachcomber posted:

They look to be walking on salt, which is used traditionally to ward off various supernatural baddies.

I thought Fantastic Beasts was going to be terrible until I watched it on a plane and liked it more than any of the HP movies proper.

Also the three giant clawmarks up the staircase wall. They're not hiding from humans. Also props to the movie for hiring a legit deaf child actor.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

The Man in the Yellow Hat with the Black Heart

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

Secret sequel to Heart of Darkness. He took a souvenir from the jungle

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He should smuggle George back in his pants like you hear about people doing sometimes.

I don't really have a point, I'd just kind of like to see them do that and see what happens.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A hollow-eyed Yellow Hat moving as if an automaton; grasping at the shrieking baby primate curiously named George

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Super troopers 2 is releasing the same day and it's going to be devouring the stoner comedy crowd.

Which is ironic, really. Now picturing Rampage as a stoner comedy where the ape gets super high from eating stoners.

Re-releasing the original games on any and all accessible consoles would be a nice and probably very easy tie-in. Which probably means they won't bother and if lucky we'll get a terrible freemium mobile game.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Guy Mann posted:

Curious George meets The king in yellow

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tars Tarkas posted:

The first one is just announced and there is nothing explained about it except it is an origin story

The other one is mentioned in passing in the article:

Not sure the logic or legality of selling film rights to two different companies but I'm sure a pack of lawyers will enjoy the nice payday they get when one of them does bad and the company blames the other project for ruining their box office!

http://deadline.com/2017/11/millennium-exclusive-deal-curious-george-rey-estate-origin-story-1202210756/

to tie both of the current conversations together, when I watched Justice League very early Thursday morning, I was with some coworkers and none of us knew what the Rampage trailer was at first and one of them joked that it was the dark and gritty reboot of Curious George, and now I just want The Rock to play the Man in the Yellow Hat.

(I also made the same joke about The Quiet Place, but about The Diary of Anne Frank instead of Curious George, and when I saw someone in a thread here make that same joke I got really happy)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

I always get it confused with Cleanflix which is not something anyone would want to be associated with.

That documentary on Cleanflix is insane. I think it's still on Netflix.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I could swear the formula of 'Rare animal turns into kaiju, the trainer that loves and cares for it tries to talk it down from causing too much havoc' has been done a bunch of times. Weirdly enough the 90s Godzilla cartoon (which was way better than it has any right to be. No, it's not the one with Godzooky) comes to mind.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

precision posted:

That documentary on Cleanflix is insane. I think it's still on Netflix.

is it uh the tickle doc (forgot the name), on that quality?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Mighty Joe Young
The trex part of Jurassic Park 2
The finale of usa Godzilla 96
Etc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Powaqoatse posted:

It's certainly as bizarre as that, yeah.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

FYI, the name of the tickle documentary is "Tickled."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

^^ haha gently caress, of course ^^

precision posted:

It's certainly as bizarre as that, yeah.

thx im gonna check that out then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

There'sa movie called Cleanflix but I can't find a company. Is that name the name of the documentary or was there a real company with that name and a documentary about that company

i dont wanna watch some whatever

• Locked thread