Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Omniblivion posted:

I'm kind of tired of working in finance and I live close to the LA office. Should I go ahead and apply for one of the lead engineer jobs at RSI?

I mean I don't actually have the skills for that position right now but I'm pretty sure I could pound out a masters in electrical engineering in a few years because of my math background.

I also don't have any samples in my portfolio so I guess I could just hire a freelance firm to pad it a bit with some of the design concepts that I've come up with

On the plus side I've done some background acting in movies and commercials, so I have more experience than some of their other key employees

If you can get Ben shipped off to The Biggest Loser, you might be able to take over the position of Master of Ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Wait wait.

You can't fly most of these ships and I'm not sure anyone has mentioned the mechanics to even make these ships in game. But you can buy them, obviously, and process your fictional jpeg into some form of currency?

This thread is seriously like a slowly circling motorboat around the greatest wreck in the history of gaming. I know this poo poo is all old to regulars, but I still hit things every week I've been reading that make me sit up and goggle at the screen.

Welcome to the party, friend

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I think at that point the conversation changes. Right now the easiest way to get a refund is to argue that they have delivered nothing so therefore any purchase from them is refundable.

I'm not sure if CIG intends to use 3.0 as grounds to completely eliminate refunds or if they are hoping to turn the relatively easy process of saying "I received nothing, I want everything back." into a mess of "They claim they gave me U and V comes with it but I want W and X back, Y is included with U too, but I also want Z back."

Once they "release" "something" and can rules lawyer the situation into being that they have officially released a product and are free from the obligation of refunding for non-delivery then people seeking refunds will have to shift to the specific items in question making it easier for CIG to stall them and discourage refunds by the process becoming more convoluted.

They already argue the clear objective fact they are legally required to provide refunds so imagine what they can do by throwing a dozen different ways to argue into the mix.

The conversation already changed the minute when croberts started talking about MVP back in April 2016, then he moved on to Early Access in Aug 2017.

There is no way they are going to justify it without yet another ToS change my sources told me months ago was coming.

How they go from promising to deliver two full games at $65m, then getting $164m and saying it's now totally an MVP/EA project, is going to be mind-boggling to behold. And they will do it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

VictorianQueerLit posted:

It's a huge clusterfuck and I'm sure someone will go into it in a more detailed manner but you can convert your ship into straight store credit to be applied to anything else. You also get the ability to use a "Cross Chasis Upgrade" which costs money itself and changes one ship into another for difference in price between the ships but transfers all insurance and limited items. So then they sell cheap ships with "Life Time Insurance" that people buy in huge quantities so that they can apply that insurance to other ships.

Every time they sell a $40 space bike with LTI backers are buying like 5-10 of them at a time for the ability to project their insurance.

It gets funnier when they refuse to let you use your store credit or gift cards on new ship sales by making them "New Money Only."

It gets way funnier when you realize that nobody even knows what LTI is or how it would work.

The next great debacle is going to be the LTI fiasco. loving :lol: if they make it like lives whereby if you lose the ship n number of times, without LTI, it's loving gone.

But the game is never - ever - going to get that far. So. :colbert:

----------------

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Somebody is pissed that the base building jpg didn't bring in more cash. "Why weren't they completely blown away? No more giving away details early, not the name, not the price, that stops right now, we need impulse buys. They haven't sent me any gifts in ages either, ungrateful bastards".

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

Even despite the bugs, the comedy of it all is that there is no content to go with those bugs.

They’re not looking at 100’s of hours of gameplay and complex systems and a complex game.

They’re looking at a game with about 2-3 hours of content before you need to find enjoyment somehow in a “sandbox” with no gameplay loop.

The amount of bugs vs the content present is hugely off base. Nobody cares though because questioning why CIG has made virtually no progress isn’t a topic for discussion.

Instead of talking about what they’re developing and working on, and the loving game, it’s a week long of DLC sales. For Pete’s sake guys, wake the gently caress up.

Wait! I totally know the answer to this one!

In 3.0 they are building the systems which will make adding in the fun + content 100 times quicker. Stop spreading FUD man; this is why we get a bad rap.

----------------

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Star Citizen development is like an idler game where it starts very slowly and slowly ramps up to exponential speeds near the end...

Then you throw it all away and restart from nothing with a slight speed boost.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Excited to see the new Xi'an Heavy Fighter they're putting on sale.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/internships-junior-devs/651558

How can it be late in the project when development only started two weeks ago :thunk:

Daztek fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 18, 2017

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daztek posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/internships-junior-devs/651558

How can it be late in the project when development only started two weeks ago :thunk:

Ben is gonna end up in a back alley with a self inflicted gunshot wound in the back of the head if he keeps dissing CIG like this. Sandi knows eastern Europeans.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

Yeah, an imaginary beared bloke is going to deliver your imaginary game patch of a game that's mostly about having to use your imagination. :thumbsup:

Excuse me it's the Jesus Patch so of course it'll arrive on Christmas.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Daztek posted:

It's late in the project in the same way that it's late in Sandi's acting career.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Beet Wagon posted:

Excited to see the new Xi'an Heavy Fighter they're putting on sale.

How do the potato people get into their ships exactly?
They have stubby legs, so can't climb the usual ladders.

Ah wait, they noclip in. Nvm.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Codezombie posted:

They'd also have to throw away large portions of their animation system.

Arms cannot be precanned, they must be IK'ed to the controller, as must all over the upper torso, which needs to follow the neck position as defined by the headset.
Crouching is not so bad, you can use the existing animation, but the position through the anim much be controlled by the height of the headset at all times, and it still needs to be ik'd anyway.

The absolute killer, is body rotation and walking, which, without a full walking rig, is currently not solvable, not even with a full on CAVE like system.

Those are even solvable, though probably not for cig. What insures SC will never be a VR experience though is the ridiculously twitchy speeds everything moves/flies at, even the biggest ship instant accelerates and rockets off the pad like it's made of balsa wood and it's not an anomaly. I know no one here believes it, but the flight model isn't actually noclip -it just looks nearly indistinguishable because accel is tuned so loving high but it's exactly what they want in order to appease the kbm shooter crowd this game is really being made for once original sim whales were bled out and became the minority.

They can't and won't ever undo that -they have spent years and years now catering to the expectations fps pcmasterace kbm whales that have long since displaced the og's which were systematically drowned in the bathtub of the controls katamari and concern forum and other lovely moderation tactics. Years of introducing weapon systems and incrementally balancing around insane acceleration values and they seem quite pleased with themselves. CR doesn't know poo poo on this subject or care about anything but playing director and the rest of the devs are fps or console devs at best that are as clueless as they are powerless to do anything about it. CIG even went on to triumphantly redefine the goals of the game as being 'fast frenetic paced combat' after a year or two of og backers pressing them for answers. Now every aspect of the game is a form of lovely twitch shooter cancer just like every other generic space game and shooter that caters to the mountain dew gogogo gotta move fast demographic, to great irony.

Even if they solved the technical issues with framerate, IK/walking rigs, immersion animations, locomotion, canned aim and cover animations etc, they are still left with a game with mechanics that are still incompatible with VR. Also they were pressed on the use of 6dof tracked controllers and they officially ruled out ever supporting them. Really the only way SC sees any type of VR action beyond some lovely vorpx pukeport is if they make a completely separate branch of the game for it that does not mix with the main branch. It's like they took practically every step imaginable to ensure they will never be able to utilize this technology, even if they ever manage to work out the technical side of things that they are not even trying to work on.

https://i.imgur.com/FofuufF.gifv

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 18, 2017

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

happyhippy posted:

How do the potato people get into their ships exactly?
They have stubby legs, so can't climb the usual ladders.

Ah wait, they noclip in. Nvm.

Considering Crobberts and Archer?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

It's not even just that really, you can have a great time in the Rift at 45 fps, Star Citizen can't even get near that.
No, the thing that killed it stone dead for me, and what made me want to insta vomit was Chris's loving visions and design choices. You can optimise a games performance, you can't optimise stupid

This.

Also, anyone with VR should pick up a copy of Drunken Bar Fight, which is exactly what it sounds like -drunken inverse kinematic retarded fight comedy. Think Goat Simulator but your a drunk dude in a bar full of bro-y meatheads... so simple yet entertaining, the literal opposite of SC. There's not much to it but it's only $12 and it's never not funny :v:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/528550/Drunkn_Bar_Fight/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHYnQSBdh2Q

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

SomethingJones posted:

Some guy in India has archered the entire RSI website in order to directly scam gullible fools and sell them non-existent spaceships. He just has to add in the e-commerce stuff, I'm sure Turbulent would be happy enough to do this for a piece of the action, they tend to turn a blind eye to these types of scams.

It's hilarious, check it out
https://www.srmmun.in/pledge.html

Awesome

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

big nipples big life posted:

It's going to be dead on PC in 2 weeks anyway and there are no hacks for consoles.

Sure there are, they're called EA!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thoatse posted:

Those are even solvable, though probably not for cig. What insures SC will never be a VR experience though is the ridiculously twitchy speeds everything moves/flies at, even the biggest ship instant accelerates and rockets off the pad like it's made of balsa wood and it's not an anomaly. I know no one here believes it, but the flight model isn't actually noclip -it just looks nearly indistinguishable because accel is tuned so loving high but it's exactly what they want in order to appease the kbm shooter crowd this game is really being made for once original sim whales were bled out and became the minority.

They can't and won't ever undo that -they have spent years and years now catering to the expectations fps pcmasterace kbm whales that have long since displaced the og's which were systematically drowned in the bathtub of the controls katamari and concern forum and other lovely moderation tactics. Years of introducing weapon systems and incrementally balancing around insane acceleration values and they seem quite pleased with themselves. CR doesn't know poo poo on this subject or care about anything but playing director and the rest of the devs are fps or console devs at best that are as clueless as they are powerless to do anything about it. CIG even went on to triumphantly redefine the goals of the game as being 'fast frenetic paced combat' after a year or two of og backers pressing them for answers. Now every aspect of the game is a form of lovely twitch shooter cancer just like every other generic space game and shooter that caters to the mountain dew gogogo gotta move fast demographic, to great irony.

Even if they solved the technical issues with framerate, IK/walking rigs, immersion animations, locomotion, canned aim and cover animations etc, they are still left with a game with mechanics that are still incompatible with VR. Also they were pressed on the use of 6dof tracked controllers and they officially ruled out ever supporting them. Really the only way SC sees any type of VR action beyond some lovely vorpx pukeport is if they make a completely separate branch of the game for it that does not mix with the main branch. It's like they took practically every step imaginable to ensure they will never be able to utilize this technology, even if they ever manage to work out the technical side of things that they are not even trying to work on.

Thoatse coming back with all the member berries.

Really the star citizen flight behavior is so much of a self own on so many levels it deserves its own tombstone one day I spite wrote a 2000 word essay in response to one of your earlier posts about it to pour some salt into the wound but ehhh... It's a little bit too open for the time being.

I shall call it the poo fly blog.

E: everyone should watch this. I am in tears.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 18, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/CitizenGrandpa/status/931658054453596160
https://twitter.com/Caeled_ISFA/status/931816526046531584

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

#it'sascam #thereisnogame #getarefund #tane

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/931860006244413440

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

"It's Derek who's obsessed!" -- guy with username that directly attacks Derek.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Spiderdrake posted:

Wait wait.

You can't fly most of these ships and I'm not sure anyone has mentioned the mechanics to even make these ships in game. But you can buy them, obviously, and process your fictional jpeg into some form of currency?

This thread is seriously like a slowly circling motorboat around the greatest wreck in the history of gaming. I know this poo poo is all old to regulars, but I still hit things every week I've been reading that make me sit up and goggle at the screen.

What's really amazing is that it's for hundreds of dollars of real money. You can buy multiple current generation game consoles for the price of a picture of one ship in the nonexistent "game" that is Star Citizen. It boggles the mind.

I like to think of this thread and Star Citizen as a child's toy boat circling a bathtub drain, but from a copepod's perspective. To an outsider it looks like nothing, but when you get right in there you see what a maelstrom it really is.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Completionist pack #12 for the year showed up yesterday, with the usual Javelin followup.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Makes me wonder how many folks have died while waiting so far, like will probably happen to this guy too :smith:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

boviscopophobic posted:

Completionist pack #12 for the year showed up yesterday, with the usual Javelin followup.

Yeah, that's totally not dodgy at all

----------------

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

boviscopophobic posted:

Maybe some of the developers love their job so much, they donate half their yearly salary back to the company who pays them.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess it makes sense in a way. If you are in that mental space where you will pay 15k might as well pay a bit more for the "I win" ship.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

It's not even listed on their store page anymore, I thought.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7dsuhw/we_are_nearly_there/

Well, apparently they are learning? That post/image is 85% upvoted so... maybe?

Most upvoted comment:

:suicide::suicide::suicide:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

Thoatse coming back with all the member berries.

Really the star citizen flight behavior is so much of a self own on so many levels it deserves its own tombstone one day I spite wrote a 2000 word essay in response to one of your earlier posts about it to pour some salt into the wound but ehhh... It's a little bit too open for the time being.

I shall call it the poo fly blog.

I'm up for an early access alpha release if you want to pm it

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Raskolnikov posted:

If I need someone to write villainous dialogue I know where to find the perfect tone.

Thanks. I...think?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh no! Milk and cookies!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlvT-OPzx60

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012