Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

when I was in ms and tx , drafts were $12 and pack per win. Out here in Vegas it seems to universally be $15 and store credit for doing 3-1 or better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

when I was in ms and tx , drafts were $12 and pack per win. Out here in Vegas it seems to universally be $15 and store credit for doing 3-1 or better.

Are there any relatively open, well air conditioned card shops in Vegas? Or do they follow the SoCal dingy stripmall storefront model?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Are there any relatively open, well air conditioned card shops in Vegas? Or do they follow the SoCal dingy stripmall storefront model?

All of them are in stripmalls sadly but darkside has a/c and two annexes dedicated for play

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Target has 25% off toys today only and toys includes Magic cards

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
I've never had to rare-redraft at a store. Sounds awful. Done it several times with friends/people; got a foil Tasigur that way.

Do like the local store's version of draft though:

1. Draft as normal. Keep what you get.
2. 1.5 or 2 packs/person prizes
3. Store opens all the prize packs. Each person chooses a card of their choice based on final ranking. I.e. first place gets first pick, 2nd 2nd, etc. First place gets 9th pick, 2nd 10th pick, etc, till all the cards are gone or each player drops out of choosing.

It definitely incentives passes rares during the draft to try to get to first place and the draft has a definite competitive feel, while not really punishing people who want to rare draft (at the expense of their draft deck potential). Plus, everyone gets a prize!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

my store charges 10€ with rare/foil pick as the only prize, another LGS in the area charges 13€ with 1 pack in the pool per player (and no repick, obviously)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
do people know about this guy's videos? they're pretty cool if you like magic art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G31XbLvoY2E&index=10&list=PLg9H9LJ2OoGDk-rv1Tz2KuNkgUoRDSHbb

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Boco_T posted:

Target has 25% off toys today only and toys includes Magic cards

They already sell 3 packs of Iconic Masters for $20.99 and this brings it down to $15.25, or just over 5 bucks a pack.

Seems good.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Playing against mono blue mill with a mana drain. Got to Bladewing to pull a milled Scourge of Valkas with Urabrask out. 2 4/4 dragobs with haste GG living the dream.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I've done one rare redraft, it was in rtr and I pulled a foil deathrite. My last opponent was beating me and smugly said "I can't wait to get that card" so I said "suck my dick" and took my cards and left while the lgs owned yelled at me.

The end

While I can't condone :airquote:theft:airquote:, I can neither condemn your actions here. I have a pretty honed sense of fairplay, but gently caress that guy.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I used to be okay with rare redrafts until the one I was in where I opened a foil Chandra, Pyromaster when M14 released and I took second.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Ugh, rare redrafting reminds me of why I stopped playing for awhile. My hometown's FNM decided to switch to double elimination, rare redraft. Scheduled to start at 7, so realistically started at 7:30. Would end at 12:30 or 1 normally.

Nothing like sitting around for 2 hours to get your fourth pick garbage after a half hour finger pointing shitfest because one kid swears he saw a rare land that isn't in the final pool.

Who in the world has time for that sort of poo poo?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

PJOmega posted:

Ugh, rare redrafting reminds me of why I stopped playing for awhile. My hometown's FNM decided to switch to double elimination, rare redraft. Scheduled to start at 7, so realistically started at 7:30. Would end at 12:30 or 1 normally.

Nothing like sitting around for 2 hours to get your fourth pick garbage after a half hour finger pointing shitfest because one kid swears he saw a rare land that isn't in the final pool.

Who in the world has time for that sort of poo poo?

Let me tell you about the time I paid $10 to team draft, beat Steve Rubin, went 4/0 overall, and got a.... foil Generator Servant and some worthless 25 cent rare because I rolled last place to pick for my team.

I never did that again.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
After the foil goyf thing, maybe people should accept moneydrafting is a part of draft and that maximizing your monetary value is the goal.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

Taking this to my first modern 1k today. Still got about an hour to make sideboard changes if anybody has any bright ideas.

https://imgur.com/a/O8Zli

C-Euro posted:

I don't see a sideboard, so don't forget to take one with you :v:

Is that 2x Bob I see on the far left? Does Junk play those now? I was under the impression that its curve was a little too high for Bob to be worthwhile.

Lawnie posted:

Heh, the board is the last column on the right, oops. I run two bob, the deck tops out at 4 for siege rhino and only has 7 three drops, hasn’t bitten me yet. I’m happy to be wrong, but bob is fun.

E: g1 match 1, fetch down to 3 with a bob on board, flip tracker lol

Cross-posted from the eternal thread. I went 2-2 drop, beating affinity and uw control, losing to gw knight coco and rock.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Shortest Path posted:

They already sell 3 packs of Iconic Masters for $20.99 and this brings it down to $15.25, or just over 5 bucks a pack.

Seems good.

I'm in Target right now and they're marked at 36 here :psyduck: I'm also here with my wife so probably no cards for me anyway.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

After the foil goyf thing, maybe people should accept moneydrafting is a part of draft and that maximizing your monetary value is the goal.

I think a lot of people are hesitant to admit that drafts are an opportunity to play the pack lottery without feeling guilty or feeling like a hypocrite when they normally espouse to never open sealed product. A rare redraft thus feels extra bad because even if you do get a winning pack you get to immediately then think about how "your" cards are eventually just going to get taken away for keeps.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Drafting should be seen in the same vein as going to the movies. Any "value" you may get from the cardboard you keep is just gravy.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Seems good.

You've got a heckuva anomaly. Both Target's I hit up had no Iconic Masters. Did do a lot of Xmas shopping for little niknsks tho, so thank you.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Target here is selling them for 30.99

I don't get this price variation at all.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Rare re-drafting sounds really dumb. We did an Onslaught draft just so we'd all have chances at some fetches & had some fun with the tribes. The last time I did a competitive draft at my LGS I got screwed out of prizes in top 8 (box of MM17) and it's the worst feeling. Didn't throw a tantrum, but I did have to single someone out later for an apology.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Soooo.... I embarrassed myself on stream earlier at gp Portland. F’d up sideboarding badly, hahaha...

Waaay too lucky today, it’s gotta run out sometime

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:10bux: rare-redraft drafts are the best for actually playing the game.

Raredrafting when there is prize support is fine tho.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
When 2-1 last night with W/B with Elesh Norn and Blood Baron. Lost only to a Mardu deck that had a TON of removal and great temp (2 StP, Heat Ray, Doom Blade).

Then I went 3-0 with UR tempo. There was so much blue and red on the table the guy next to me went U/R as well, but went with a slower build- he picked the 4x Claustrophobia whereas I went with the 4x Splatter Thug 3x Frost Lynx. There was actually a U/R/B player too who only went to black when it was painfully obvious that it was wide open.

Quick tempo with strong unlease/outlast creatures is really the way to go. Lot of people are picking up bouncelands early to play 4-5c durdle decks and you can just punish them with quick, on curve, starts.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

OWLS! posted:

:10bux: rare-redraft drafts are the best for actually playing the game.

Raredrafting when there is prize support is fine tho.

Politifact rates this statement as: TRUE.

I didn't like redrafting at first, then I got better at draft and WotC got worse at printing valuable cards in sets, so now I'm pretty okay with it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

GP Portland is the usual hot mess on stream, I watched for an hour and saw the following

• Tons of silent "P1P1" filler that just cycles round
  • Some dude taking a mid game piss break and the commentators calling it "masterful mind play" or some poo poo
  • A MtF trans woman (I think) getting brutalised by chat (I know I know, never open chat)
  • Same person getting a match loss for registering a 59 card main
  • Awkward commentary and them generally not having a clue wtf is going on

So about standard for a WotC production.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Eh, what I've seen has been fine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
4 color energy mirror: +2 Nicol Bolas, find a Chandra, +1 Chandra, reveal Confiscation Coup, take the opponent's Scarab God.

Turn before Bolas' +1 (hand destruction) exiled 2 copies of Vizier of Many Faces which the opponent had the mana to cast the turn before but no targets

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Wizards event reporter is having issues at GP Portland : ( pairings delayed for 40 minutes

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Did two back to back IMA drafts today.

Traded most of my raredrafts for an Avacyn AoH and Archangel of Thune for a dumb mono white angel EDH deck, and a Sorin Markov to upgrade my Vampiric Bloodlust.

Pulled a Horizon Canopy in the second draft it to upgrade my 7-year old's Feline Ferocity mana base; probably to have her complain about what will be the most expensive card in the deck doing damage to her.

In our first draft someone got a Mana Drain as his P1P1and went mono-blue mill (and never got to go off with it, it ended up being used twice as a fancy counterspell). I was surprised not to see a single aether vial in 3 drafts so far, either passed, played, or talked about as a pick.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Did an Iconic masters draft and just clowned on everyone with UR Tempo. Went 3-0 in matches, 6-0 in games. Red was stupidly open and I just beat face until people died. I did get to see an insane game of Abzan Counters vs. Temur Walls that ended up being decided at turns by Vizkopa Guildmage.

My deck:

Monastery Swiftspear
2x Borderland Marauder
2x Elusive Spellfist
3x Splatter Thug
2x Jhessian Thief
Illusory Angel
Prodigal Pyromancer
2x Furnace Whelp
Mahamoti Djinn

Coordinated Assault
Repeal
2x Hammerhand
3x Draconic Roar
Claustrophobia
Electrolyze

I also opened Avacyn and foil Lotus Cobra, which was nice. This set is fun, seems less awful than playing against infinite Dinrova Horrors.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I got one of those triple IM pack blisters for $15.75 at target and opened three genesis waves. Also a foil Rampaging Baloths. :shepicide:

My local store had them listed at $30.99, I mentioned to the cashier that I'd seen them online at $20.99 and she just uh... reduced the price. Without verifying anything at all. It was weird.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

I got one of those triple IM pack blisters for $15.75 at target and opened three genesis waves. Also a foil Rampaging Baloths. :shepicide:

My local store had them listed at $30.99, I mentioned to the cashier that I'd seen them online at $20.99 and she just uh... reduced the price. Without verifying anything at all. It was weird.

I guarantee you that the cashier at Target Does Not Give A poo poo about you getting nerd lottery tickets at a positive EV

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the cashier at target, but if they were a magic player: yeah, im gonna need to look through your entire car to match up the value exactly for this blister pack. im not an idiot.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I just figured it was kinda odd for a cashier to just take me at face value when I said that the thing I was trying to buy cost less than it was ringing up for.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
It's because retail is a horrible hellscape and it's easier to give you what you want instead of telling you you're wrong and you yelling at them and asking for their manager to come over and give you exactly what you want anyway

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AceClown posted:

GP Portland is the usual hot mess on stream, I watched for an hour and saw the following

• Tons of silent "P1P1" filler that just cycles round
  • Some dude taking a mid game piss break and the commentators calling it "masterful mind play" or some poo poo
  • A MtF trans woman (I think) getting brutalised by chat (I know I know, never open chat)
  • Same person getting a match loss for registering a 59 card main
  • Awkward commentary and them generally not having a clue wtf is going on

So about standard for a WotC production.

Paul Reitzel is terrific on coverage. Sperling is bad.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Cactrot, I lost in round 8 - the luck has run out!!!

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Man opening a channel in ICM is a real kick in the dick. A mythic that’s not legal in any format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Retromancer posted:

Man opening a channel in ICM is a real kick in the dick. A mythic that’s not legal in any format.

Cube~