Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

we know literally nothing about its performance or features beyond "very fast acceleration" and "it's a tesla"

how does it drive? who cares, it's a tesla! look, the screen goes plaid when you floor it!

also, tony stark has a marketing deal with audi

ill sport a musky semi if the first one accelerates so fast it turns back over on its head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bhodi posted:

kinda expecting tesla to take the alphabet route and splinter because the people who run spacex probably don't want profits siphoned off to shore up losses on other fronts like powerwall or whatever

spacex and tesla are entirely seperate companies. so is hyperloop and the "elon wants a car tunnel to lax" company.

the only company that is part of tesla is the solar panel company now because elon did some barely legal financing moves to make it a subsidiary of tesla

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

spacex also has a history of buying a fair bit of debt from tesla, it is a bit of an elephant in the room that may become a bigger issue if the stock price starts properly sliding

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Jabor posted:

is the tech there such that you can have random other vehicles merge in between the lead truck and the following trailers, and then filter back out again later on?

if not, then all you've accomplished is building a much-more-expensive road train, and the only advantage is the current legislatory blind spot that tech buble stuff often enjoys

Other cars on the road aren't the really hard part of self driving cards, afaik its that even very expensive sensors are useless when covered in slush or the rules of safety change drastically when there's snow on the road. You can't really mitigate these factors for personal transport because you still need to get to work if it's snowing, but if you're building trucking infrastructure it's pretty straigtforward to rely on doing more of it in Nevada than Canada.

You're right that this would be building a more expensive version of trains, but it's not like the trucking industry is about to go out of business because of how cheap and efficient dealing with railroads.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

spacex also has a history of buying a fair bit of debt from tesla, it is a bit of an elephant in the room that may become a bigger issue if the stock price starts properly sliding

dont worry, trump is going to allow elephants in the rooms

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cheekio posted:

Other cars on the road aren't the really hard part of self driving cards, afaik its that even very expensive sensors are useless when covered in slush or the rules of safety change drastically when there's snow on the road. You can't really mitigate these factors for personal transport because you still need to get to work if it's snowing, but if you're building trucking infrastructure it's pretty straigtforward to rely on doing more of it in Nevada than Canada.

You're right that this would be building a more expensive version of trains, but it's not like the trucking industry is about to go out of business because of how cheap and efficient dealing with railroads.

yeah basically actual self driving cars are going to need close upkeep on all their sensors, and even normal road debris and dirt getting on them could cause serious issues, let alone snow

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fits my needs posted:

so does someone have a breakdown of how shadowhawk is committing fraud by turning his house into a hacker hostel?

here are the big four that occur to me, in order of the risk to shadowhawk personally, greatest to least

1. shadowhawk has defrauded his home insurer. he has an insurance policy meant for a homeowner with a family or stable roommate situation. this is a very low risk, low cost policy. in reality he is operating a tenement or hotel with bodies stacked deep and unstable living situations

while the insurer is the victim of fraud, the real victim will be shadowhawk. if his flophouse burns down, 10:1 his insurer won't pay a dime because shadowhawk lied to them about the circumstances being insured

2. shadowhawk is defying the law. it's not fraud in the civil sense, but there is not any chance whatsoever that his home is in an area zoned for hotel/hostel use. additionally, if he has an HOA, i guarantee you HOA rules forbid you to have twenty odd roommates stuffed in bunk beds.

this could come back to bite him big time. local governments and HOAs both have the powers to apply liens or even evict you from your own property

3. shadowhawk has defrauded his mortgage issuer. he took out a loan associated with a single family home, a low risk situation. in reality, he is operating a business. since california is a "non-recourse" state, this means that shadowhawk could, at any time, walk away from his failing business and owe $0 to the bank. in short, he has cheated them rather badly. this is morally repugnant.

fortunately for shadowhawk, mortgage loan maintenance is a mess in america generally and california specifically, so it's really unlikely he will ever be caught. (i still hold a very low opinion of a man who lied to his lender, however. what a dickbag)

4. shadowhawk has almost certainly defrauded one or more federal agencies or government-owned corporations: fha, fannie mae, et al. most mortgages in america are deeply subsidized by federal action. these loan subsidies are for purchasing single family homes, or owner-occupied multiple-unit dwellings. they are absolutely not meant for business loans or subsidizing a hostel.

fortunately for shadowhawk, nobody investigates this poo poo and fannie mae is clownishly incompetent. as with defrauding his lender, I still think hes' a total loving douchebag for exploiting government programs intended to make housing affordable.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

yeah basically actual self driving cars are going to need close upkeep on all their sensors, and even normal road debris and dirt getting on them could cause serious issues, let alone snow

also nationwide pavement marking replacement to current standards and frequent inspection for regular rigorous maintenance lmao

that bmw ceo was so mad

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Conversely, lying to and cheating money lenders is a mitzvah, so it's a gray area.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

On the flip side of the coin, American lives are overvalued and there's an arbitrage opportunity there, so Shadowhawk should include a life insurance policy in the sign on paperwork for his 20 hackers when they join up. That'll more than pay for the failed social experiment and possible denied claims on the house when it burns to the ground because of the overclocked servers used as space heaters in every room.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

wait i thought shadowhawk was living in a flophouse himself before and then bought his own place and is only renting out individual rooms to individuals. is that not the case?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
iirc he doesn’t actually own the house he just rents the whole thing from the actual landlord and then sublets airbnbs the other 4 bedrooms to try and turn a profit

i think he said the first year he actually lost money and hasta handle maint too? idk it sounds like a huge pain to constantly manage a rotating cast of 4 short term roommates

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I think you'll find that he's co-living

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I’ve known people that are basically in the short term subletting business; rent a few apartments purely for airbnb

People think this is awesome/entrepreneurial

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lancemantis posted:

I’ve known people that are basically in the short term subletting business; rent a few apartments purely for airbnb

People think this is awesome/entrepreneurial

that has got to be illegal

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

iirc he doesn’t actually own the house he just rents the whole thing from the actual landlord and then sublets airbnbs the other 4 bedrooms to try and turn a profit

i think he said the first year he actually lost money and hasta handle maint too? idk it sounds like a huge pain to constantly manage a rotating cast of 4 short term roommates

*extremely shadowhawk voice* yea but ultimately i pay less rent and i never cared about my spare time anyway cause i work on a linux

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

Anyway here's an awesome thing

as someone smart-ifying a home, i have tried to avoid the experience my friend's girlfriend had where she walked into their dark apartment by herself and said

"alexa, lights on"

and alexa said

"ok, playing last song"

and then started loudly blaring the last song that had been played in his playlist so loudly that it stopped responding to commands and she sat there weeping in a dark house while music blared.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol if you think loving over banks is morally repugnant

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

C.H.O.M.E posted:

as someone smart-ifying a home,

uhhh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

C.H.O.M.E posted:

as someone smart-ifying a home, i have tried to avoid the experience my friend's girlfriend had where she walked into their dark apartment by herself and said

"alexa, lights on"

and alexa said

"ok, playing last song"

and then started loudly blaring the last song that had been played in his playlist so loudly that it stopped responding to commands and she sat there weeping in a dark house while music blared.

I remember you posting about that before and we came to the conclusion that that's the result of your slack-jawed accent making "lights on" sound like "laht' sahn" and therefore it isn't a problem anyone normal would have

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

my home is smart as hell: i push buttons and lights come on or off

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

i had no choice a light bulb burned out and i bought a single hue light and then two days later i had a nest and 14 hue lights and i control everything through voice commands

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
beep boop

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
it's actually really nice in the bedroom when you can get in bed without forgetting to turn stuff off and not need to get back up when you are about to fall asleep and turn the lights off.

so far that's the only "real" benefit I have found.

i guess there are also some lights behind the sofa that had switches on the cords, where i had to reach behind the sofa like an animal to turn them off because the outlets were not switched, which i now control with wifi connected plugs. that can be kinda a pain when you forget to turn them off and you have to reach over the sofa.

is this actually worth 40-50 per plug/bulb? prooobbbbably not

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

C.H.O.M.E posted:

i had no choice a light bulb burned out and i bought a single hue light and then two days later i had a nest and 14 hue lights and i control everything through voice commands

ok but apparently you dont lol

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

that has got to be illegal

I think the landlord even knew about it and thought it was cool

The midwest is a terrible place full of people desperate to be like people from urban centers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ahm kwankles

*microwave turns on*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fern bullwhip

*all lights go 110% and i am showered in their fragments*

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i can also make my apartment look like a french flag or a big rainbow from down the street

which apartment do you think has the internet connected color changing light bulbs?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

the tall narrow one?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sagebrush posted:

I remember you posting about that before and we came to the conclusion that that's the result of your slack-jawed accent making "lights on" sound like "laht' sahn" and therefore it isn't a problem anyone normal would have

it's a real problem if your voice-activated product was only tested on (you guessed it) ivy league-educated coastal wasps and only consider them as "normal"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

also, tony stark has a marketing deal with audi

Audi R8 e-tron was a good car, pity it’s not in production any more

blows away anything Tesla made

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Significant Ant posted:

I genuinely wonder if Tesla will still be solvent in 3 years

as if they’re solvent now

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Stymie posted:

it's a real problem if your voice-activated product was only tested on (you guessed it) ivy league-educated coastal wasps and only consider them as "normal"

i set my siri to be a british man to make it more like a butler but now i have to put on a fake british accent to make it listen to me.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FFRoYhTJQQ

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

omg please repost this in my sketch comedy thread in pyf if you want

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

*extremely loft apartment, two luxury cars, and multiple international vacations per year voice*: i'm buying into smart home technology. also, i'm woke.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

C.H.O.M.E posted:

"alexa, lights on"

and alexa said

"ok, playing last song"

just wait 6 months for the iot speaker manufacturer to go out of business and the music will stop when the servers go offline

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im impatient so im gonna post it for you stymie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
no problem, hope folks like it