Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What the gently caress kind of Chinese buffets have pizza? Unless Chinese pizza is some sort of white person slang for like, scallion pancakes or something.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is AFP or just FP, but it made my chest hurt and oh god the sodium.

It's basically someone dropping an In n Out Double Double on a plate of poutine and there's bacon there too.

GrandpaPants has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

What the gently caress kind of Chinese buffets have pizza?

The Midwestern kind.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

cash crab posted:

Facebook is Suggesting things to me

Nothing gets me nostalgic like goddamn reese's burgs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q2_9KkusJ8

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

steinrokkan posted:

Mostly stuff like this

I'm the diahorrea.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

The Midwestern kind.

Any large one anywhere. Some kids and adult weirdos will refuse to go unless there is bad pizza, terrible French fries with off-brand ketchup, and chicken nuggets. Then you lose a whole group because one person doesn't like (won't try) any of the "foreign food"

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Grassy Knowles posted:

Chinese buffet with to-go charged by the lb is how I always saw such monstrosities in college.

Chinese buffet pizza is worse than lunchables.

the lovely rice krispy treats and jello cubes are definitely chinese buffet fare so I bet youre right

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Who What Now posted:

The Midwestern kind.

this is an unbelievably tired joke but in this case its true. A remote rural town I lived in had some liquor stores and an Indian restaurant all run by an Indian family from New York. Why the gently caress they left new york and settled there is beyond me, unless they were hiding from somebody. One day I saw that the restaurant had a lunch buffet and I couldnt believe my luck finding an Indian lunch buffet in this poo poo smear of a town. Well I went inside and guess what. The buffet had fried catfish, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, boiled green beans and other hick food available in half a dozen other places around town. My suspicion confirmed, no Indian food on the buffet because it would attract zero customers. The only regulars at this place were guys who would sit at the bar and pound bud lights where their families wouldnt think to look for them.

Another time I brought my uncle along as help on a work project and we ate at the little chinese buffet in town. He didnt know what to do with himself because he was almost 70 and had never had "Chinese" food let alone Chinese food. Thats why rural Chinese places have pizza chicken nuggets and fries.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

cash crab posted:

I had one of those, it was pretty good. I would have one again. Though there's so many burgers there, it's hard to have a repeat.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

cash crab posted:

When did Reese's drop the possessive?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm so sorry about the sausage derail.

Something more fun to play is 'Is it food or a bad day in the bathroom!'

It's Rendang curry paste

Tamarind pulp mixed with water before it's sieved to get Tamarind water

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
https://twitter.com/foodandwine/status/932117605586030592

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

im gagging

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If I wanted to suffer that much I'd just do a few shots of antifreeze. It would taste better.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Even if it were safe which I doubt, that has to have the most unpleasant texture.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like we were just making fun of that article a few months ago but the stamp on that tweet says it was yesterday. And I know a similar thing came up at least twice before that.

There can't seriously be that many people doing this right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's not exactly a common thing in Japan but it isn't that rare either. The chickens for it are raised safely and it isn't dangerous. I don't know if it's any good but it's a thing.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I feel like we were just making fun of that article a few months ago but the stamp on that tweet says it was yesterday. And I know a similar thing came up at least twice before that.

There can't seriously be that many people doing this right?
I went back and checked, and the article is from last summer--not sure why they just tweeted about it. That said, a single person eating raw chicken is one too many people eating raw chicken. Gross.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not exactly a common thing in Japan but it isn't that rare either. The chickens for it are raised safely and it isn't dangerous. I don't know if it's any good but it's a thing.
As mentioned in this thread before, it's hard to get past the visceral this is not safe reaction to chicken sashimi or sushi. When I saw it (maybe twice in about 25 years), it wasn't straight-up raw, but it was definitely uncomfortably rare. The Japanese folks I was with acknowledged it was a thing, but were not exactly anxious to try it. It seems to be more common in some areas (known for their chicken) than in others.

Have a gross pic from Wikipedia. This is ready to eat:

There isn't enough grated garlic in the world to make that okay to me.

eta: Apparently there are 500 cases of food poisoning a year in Japan attributable to chicken sashimi (not just salmonella, but also Campylobacter infections), and there are no food hygiene standards for its preparation (it boils down to "Chicken? Cook it"). Sign me up!

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Nov 19, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The texture :gonk:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hirayuki posted:

eta: Apparently there are 500 cases of food poisoning a year in Japan attributable to chicken sashimi (not just salmonella, but also Campylobacter infections), and there are no food hygiene standards for its preparation (it boils down to "Chicken? Cook it"). Sign me up!

I wonder if that rate is unusual. Unless what I've read is wrong it's not that chicken is inherently more dirty/dangerous than other meats, it's just the factory farming system makes gross birds. I've seen articles on chicken sashimi places where the chef raises the chickens himself and they're clean and fine. But any form of raw meat is going to carry a higher risk than cooked, even if it's still pretty safe like raw beef.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The article mentioned chicken being smaller and harder to clean than larger animals like pigs and cows, which lets bacteria, etc. hide out in nooks and crannies and survive the cleaning-prep process.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Chickens are vile creatures that lead lives of sin and only once they've been cleansed by purifying flames, or "fried" in biblical terms, should they be eaten.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not exactly a common thing in Japan but it isn't that rare either.

I'd say it's extremely rare! :v:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bloom posted:

Chickens are vile creatures that lead lives of sin and only once they've been cleansed by purifying flames, or "fried" in biblical terms, should they be eaten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMo4WlBmGM

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Chicken sashimi is pretty good. It's washed and dried so it's not slimy. Thigh meat has a texture that's rather close to fatty tuna. I wasn't a fan of the gonads but the liver was nice.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
AFP: I wasn't a fan of the gonads

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

For 2 months I had idiot roosters crowing all night about 100 feet from my head and I would have gladly murdered them. There were cats that could eat them though, I wouldn't have had to.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Picnic Princess posted:

For 2 months I had idiot roosters crowing all night about 100 feet from my head and I would have gladly murdered them. There were cats that could eat them though, I wouldn't have had to.

Most roosters I've know would gently caress up the average housecat

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Oh these were an ocelot and a margay. We just called them the cats.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Anyway, since we like to rip bad pizzas a new one

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It came from facebook friends:

quote:

GUESS WHAT THIS IS!?!?
Future wife's baking. She thought putting ice cream in the oven was a good idea...
I'm now worried for my future.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It's like she'd heard of deep fried ice cream and just assumed that other cooking methods also worked with ice cream.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Looks like an attempt at Baked Alaska.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

It's a pretty solid self own

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Elysiume posted:

It's like she'd heard of deep fried ice cream and just assumed that other cooking methods also worked with ice cream.

quote:

I made her try it... "Ohh. No. No. It's no good"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

axolotl farmer posted:

Needs more bear mace

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Rollersnake posted:

Please someone with too much time on their hands find the Great Infuriating Sausage Derail from the last thread and let us know if any of the participants are the same. Years later, and goons are still struggling with concept of sausage.

A sausage is a meat tube, it's Americans who struggle with that concept and call ground meat sausage for some reason.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

axolotl farmer posted:

Looks like an alt-rise pastry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

cash crab posted: