Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

thefakenews posted:

So, all of these extremely NSFW illustrations are in the rulebook on game components:

http://imgur.com/Ds95C81

http://imgur.com/TewkYn3

http://i.imgur.com/duDZa1a.jpg

These all look like outright or strongly implied sexual violence to me.

haha wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

NutritiousSnack posted:

That's the stage it's stuck in literature as well. Spalter Punk is dead and HG Ginger and Clive Barker thumbprint was a little too much for the niche still interested in the sub genre. When it actually hits the vogue in horror it will come back, but body horror always will tie into fears about aging, disease, and sexual effects on the body.

That's more like a trend that comes and goes, though- there's precedent for people doing interesting things with that kind of body horror in literature as in film. Tabletop is more still developing the idea that you can do this at all, and has yet to reach the stage of anyone having something to say about it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Right?

This is what 20-something days of crushing despair suddenly getting lifted looks like. I thought it was straight up dead in the water until the last week or so.

i have zero interest in anime, but i admire your dedication. imma toss you five bucks

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Antivehicular posted:

Seriously, dude, congrats. I'm not really in the market for an anime game right now, but it seems like you have a strong design aesthetic in mind for this, and I hope it goes well for you from here.

I wasn't either, but $3 for both the base game and the new expansion was well within my "Eh, why not?" budget.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Serf posted:

haha wtf

Molester flower did nothing wrong.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

thefakenews posted:

So, all of these extremely NSFW illustrations are in the rulebook or on game components:

http://imgur.com/TewkYn3

http://i.imgur.com/duDZa1a.jpg

These all look like outright or strongly implied sexual violence to me.

A sick malboro is eating the Village of Women With Some Sort of Hereditary Hip Disorder.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What Kingdom Death does is pretty bad, but saying it is just a misogynist masturbation rape fantasy for men is hyperbole and you should be ashamed. There are plenty of real criticisms of the game and the theme.

On a different note, MOBA time! This looks like a great simple game with some promise: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stonecirclegames/battle-for-biternia-the-battle-arena-board-game
Battle for Biternia even has a Level99 character in it! It just needs a little push to get it over the edge.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

thefakenews posted:

Kickstarter is showing you the total pledges in US dollars, but the goal in Canadian dollars.

So that's what I've been seeing today. Confused the gently caress out of me.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

So that's what I've been seeing today. Confused the gently caress out of me.

I assume the intent is to show everything in the account's local currency. I am seeing goals in the creator's chosen currency, but the amount pledged in Australian dollars.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

LordAba posted:

On a different note, MOBA time! This looks like a great simple game with some promise: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stonecirclegames/battle-for-biternia-the-battle-arena-board-game
Battle for Biternia even has a Level99 character in it! It just needs a little push to get it over the edge.

Is it less awkward and sketchy than LOAD was?

I liked the minis for LOAD but man, that was sketchy as gently caress with the "hidden publisher" thing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Gratuitous Anime Gimmick: Of Raised Dead & Evening Rituals has reached its goal.

I am, uh, freaking smooth out

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

[Onomatopoeia for a penguin screeching]

Congratulations!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thefakenews posted:

So, all of these extremely NSFW illustrations are in the rulebook or on game components:

I'm guessing it's difficult for a woman to keep her knees together when she only has one leg.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

NutritiousSnack posted:

That's the vast majority of stand up. He had sound bites which were funny which is pretty much what qualifies as good when it came to that medium. Not everyone is a Dave Chapell or Don Rickels or Joan Rivers. Not even them on most nights or tours

Sounds like you haven't watched George Carlin, which you should fix.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

HazCat posted:

The slenderman expansion has a woman exploding into black oil-like gore. While wearing leather belts and nothing else. That's... not really rapey, so much as it is incredibly stupid.

I am the 'rape expert' on KD:M because I and my friends have some triggers around sexual violence and so I actually made the effort to research a game I was considering buying before buying it. I honestly find it really gross and baffling how people lie about the game. The truth about the production company is enough (and is why I ultimately decided not to buy the game).

My first posts on this forum were me arguing with Magic nerds who couldn't grasp that sexualisation and violence are both cool on their own, but that sexualised violence is poo poo, so lol if you think I am some pro-rape advocate.

E: Just missed the moving on post by a hair, will drop this.

Is there any news about Gloomhaven hitting Aus yet? I had my address locked a week or so ago but haven't been able to wade through the comments to find out how imminent shipping might be.

I mean, I looked at the game stuff too, so I don't think I'm lying when I say some of the monsters have uncomfortable implications related to rape, though a lot more of them "just" have weird pinup companion figures or other seemingly fetishistic powers. I never said you were pro-rape, either, but I thought it was weird how dismissive you were being to the idea that Kingdom Death: Monster of all things might have elements that certainly look like sexual violence.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/328469751/capharnaum-the-roleplaying-game/description

Another French property trying to make the leap to English---anybody familiar with how sprawling and/or deep the original well they have to draw from is? Goal seems fairly reasonable, though structured in such a way that they really* seem to want/expect to greatly overfund and go nuts on stretch goals...

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kinkouin posted:

Is it less awkward and sketchy than LOAD was?

I liked the minis for LOAD but man, that was sketchy as gently caress with the "hidden publisher" thing.

Yup! You can check the rules for free.

There are no minis (only cardboard standees) so there is less worries there as well.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The posts about Gratuitous Anime Gimmick are warming the cockles of my heart or I'd just lock this thread for a while but shut the gently caress up about Kingdom Death and gamergate, Jesus

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

LordAba posted:

Yup! You can check the rules for free.

There are no minis (only cardboard standees) so there is less worries there as well.

I could have sworn I saw a version with minis...

It's a real shame that LOAD did the way they did - they were successful, but only due to the minis.

I'm conflicted on the art for Biternia.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FirstAidKite posted:

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

[Onomatopoeia for a penguin screeching]

Congratulations!

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

dorf and dog

No image has ever convinced me to pledge a Kickstarter as fast as this one did.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kinkouin posted:

I could have sworn I saw a version with minis...

It's a real shame that LOAD did the way they did - they were successful, but only due to the minis.

I'm conflicted on the art for Biternia.

Pixel Art isn't for everyone, but I like it enough to pledge!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Root looks like it's pretty clearly going to make it over the finish line for its final stretch goal, so I think I'm in. I've been eyeing the COIN series for a while, and this seems like a good way to dip my toe in the water and see if I/any friends have interest in going to the next level after playing this. I get that solo is an option, but I'd much rather play with friends if possible, and a lighter experience with cute animals seems like an easier sell to me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sinteres posted:

Root looks like it's pretty clearly going to make it over the finish line for its final stretch goal, so I think I'm in. I've been eyeing the COIN series for a while, and this seems like a good way to dip my toe in the water and see if I/any friends have interest in going to the next level after playing this. I get that solo is an option, but I'd much rather play with friends if possible, and a lighter experience with cute animals seems like an easier sell to me.

Just a heads up but Root doesn’t play like COIN at all. The asymmetry is there but the fundamental flowchart choice of picking orders based on a shared deck of cards isn’t there. COIN game tempo tends to have pairs of factions acting per round. Root has a specific turn order with an action point allowance system. and the cardplay has multi-use cards akin to Chudyk (glory to Rome, innovation) games.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Just a heads up but Root doesn’t play like COIN at all. The asymmetry is there but the fundamental flowchart choice of picking orders based on a shared deck of cards isn’t there. COIN game tempo tends to have pairs of factions acting per round. Root has a specific turn order with an action point allowance system. and the cardplay has multi-use cards akin to Chudyk (glory to Rome, innovation) games.

Well poo poo. Guess I'd better stop being a moron and actually look into the mechanics before the end of the campaign then.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sinteres posted:

Well poo poo. Guess I'd better stop being a moron and actually look into the mechanics before the end of the campaign then.

I've only tried some of it since it's hard to organize a TTS session with my friends (why don't we just play real [physical] board games instead?!) and I'm too lazy to make a PNP version. It looks good and Wehrle's a fantastic designer so far. It's just a heads up that people are comparing it to COIN because there's not much else to compare it to. Vast would be the other thing but that game was much more multiplayer solitaire.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I've only tried some of it since it's hard to organize a TTS session with my friends (why don't we just play real [physical] board games instead?!) and I'm too lazy to make a PNP version. It looks good and Wehrle's a fantastic designer so far. It's just a heads up that people are comparing it to COIN because there's not much else to compare it to. Vast would be the other thing but that game was much more multiplayer solitaire.

Vast didn't feel quite so much like multiplayer solitaire to me since everyone was basically stepping on everyone else's toes all of the time and certain players were actively attacking others as often as possible because of their goal. Maybe it's different at the lower player counts.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, part of winning in Vast is doing your best to forestall someone else's victory, which every role has tools to do to at least one other role.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Xelkelvos posted:

Vast didn't feel quite so much like multiplayer solitaire to me since everyone was basically stepping on everyone else's toes all of the time and certain players were actively attacking others as often as possible because of their goal. Maybe it's different at the lower player counts.

I've only ever played with 4. I think it's because in Vast, nobody uses a shared economy of sorts. Everyone is interacting in the board, sure, but everyone's doing their own thing with other players kinda acting like AI would in other games. There's no card-driven events, there's no shared pool of anything. So it feels more like the opposite of an engine-builder euro, where you're trying to prevent the others from winning. But still keeps the "multiplayer solitaire" feel of the engine builders.* Except maybe the Cave's tiles which acts as a game timer? But only the Cave gets to use those. It's an OK game, but I'd rather play many other asymmetrical games over it. Oddly enough, I played it before I learned about COIN and other asymmetrical games but I much prefer those.

*which is fine. I love Trajan. I just prefer a different experience with my asymmetrical games

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sinteres posted:

At this point, all the stretch goals have been met so no real reason to buy in unless you want the art prints. Even if the expansion is free, the total cost is $70 which is about the same as you’d get from CSI/MM with their usual discounts. At least that would give you a year to see reviews. I backed early on at the art print level because I know I could frame a bunch between my friends and me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I checked for some reason and apparently Sean K Reynolds's Five Moons kickstarter is still getting regular updates, with the last one from Nov 5 of this year, and that apparently Mark Rein hashtag Hagen's I Am Zombie kickstarter was completed and delivered.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, I Am Zombie was finished. Unfortunately, it was a game with literally one of the worst dice / resolution mechanics I've ever seen, where rolling a 1 on any single six-sided die could negate what would otherwise be a successful roll. It was actually worse than the Storyteller system circa 1991, which is kind of amazing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

At this point, all the stretch goals have been met so no real reason to buy in unless you want the art prints. Even if the expansion is free, the total cost is $70 which is about the same as you’d get from CSI/MM with their usual discounts. At least that would give you a year to see reviews. I backed early on at the art print level because I know I could frame a bunch between my friends and me.

You're probably right, especially since I live near a Cool Stuff store and can just pick it up there instead of worrying about shipping. Waiting for reviews and having the flexibility to buy the base game and see if people like it before worrying about buying the expansion probably does make sense when the price is that similar and there aren't exclusives, which I guess is why so many developers have them.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I Am Zombie was finished. Unfortunately, it was a game with literally one of the worst dice / resolution mechanics I've ever seen, where rolling a 1 on any single six-sided die could negate what would otherwise be a successful roll. It was actually worse than the Storyteller system circa 1991, which is kind of amazing.

So if it's a dice pool system, your odds of success go DOWN as you get better at things? Impressive.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

wdarkk posted:

So if it's a dice pool system, your odds of success go DOWN as you get better at things? Impressive.

I feel like this has been a problem for Mark Rein*Hagen before.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this was A Problem with original flavour Storyteller. With a big dice pool and a high target number, you were much more likely to Botch than someone with only a few dice.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

wdarkk posted:

Well, here's how it works. Or... doesn't work, as you like.

You're rolling about 3d6 to 8d6 (most likely more like 3d6 to 6d6, figuring out what you roll is a whole other layer of fuckery). If you roll 1-4, you take that number and add it to your total. You're trying to get "boosts", which are basically successes in Storyteller parlance. If you roll a 5, you get a "chaw" which goes into a pool. If you roll a 6, you get a "brainz". Every time you get a chaw, it cancels out a boost unless you use a brainz on it. Even if you use a brainz on it, though, the chaw still goes into the pool - it just no longer cancels the boost. Note that brainz have no direct use to improve rolls - all they can do is prevent chaw from cancelling boosts.

If you're trying to make a "standard roll" - which are intended to be rolls done when you're not in the middle of a conflict or other dramatic scene - you're just rolling against a difficulty ("rigor") of 10. Exceeding a 10 gets you a boost. Standard rolls are pass/fail, so if something causes you to lose that boost, like a chaw... well, you don't get any more boosts, even if you rolled far in excess of 10.

So any time you roll a 5 on a simple roll and don't have brainz rolled or stored to cover it, you fail.

In addition, there are "complex rolls" during more dramatic actions where you're trying to beat a rigor between 2 and 12 (usually 5). Every time any combination of dice can be combined to exceed the rigor, you get a boost. So, if the rigor is 2 and I roll a 4, 1, and 1, I can only get two boosts, assigning the 4 to one boost and the 1 and 1 to a second boost. You can still get chaw and brainz as usual, and chaw still cancels boosts. But now, for every 5 chaw on the board, we now get a "hazard" (maxing out at 4). On complex rolls, any single die that rolls equal to or under the hazard becomes a "hazard die" and inflicts a wound or other GM fuckery like getting disarmed or falling over or whatever. You still get to use hazard dice on your roll, but some poo poo happens.

So the more dice you have when making either type of roll, and the more rolls you make, the more chaw will accumulate, and the more likely you are to take the consequences of hazard dice on complex rolls.

Chaw goes away at the end of scene, brainz at the end of session.

And trust me, trying to figure this out is a real headache with this kind of eye-assaulting layout:

:pwn:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...how do you get ten successes on a 5-die pool that can't roll higher than 6?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

...how do you get ten successes on a 5-die pool that can't roll higher than 6?

You just need a total of 10 between the dice for a standard roll, but only rolls of 1-4 accumulate for that. So if you're rolling 4d6 and roll 3, 3, 4, and 6, the 6 becomes a brainz and the 3 + 3 + 4 = 10 and we make it.

Edit: You can only make one "boost" / success on a standard roll, and it takes a 10 to do so, in other words.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 20, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So if the combined dice weigh as much as a duck...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...okay, so you're rolling a pool of d6s, and 5s and 6s don't count, so...god, the statistical likelihood of success seems stupidly low here.