Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Or gently caress all that and lower perfect balance's cooldown to something reasonable for gods sake.

this, please

like would it really break anything to have it at like 60 seconds or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

This, so much. Honestly, I've found that unless you have a really AOE-heavy party, giant pulls don't make a huge difference, but tanks that stop after every pull or sit there for 30 seconds before a boss are incredibly annoying. And I usually play casters and healers, I can only imagine how infuriating it must be when the tank pauses before a boss and makes you lose Greased Lightning or whatever.

Also, a hip, cool thing you should know and I should have figured out a while ago: you can disable spell particle effects in /gpose by hitting print screen a few times while very, very slowly rotating the camera. I noticed that they flicker in and out when you're moving the camera, but I always figured they would just show up in the final screenshot anyways.

Unless, of course, that's just my video card being weird.

There's an option to turn off your particles in character settings :v:

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
Re: Assholes in Routlettes

I'm glad that for the most part people in roulettes are pretty chill (had a blast with a goofy group running Crystal Tower last night), but definitely ran into a few asshats.

One happened on my AST, where I'm still somewhat learning my healing patterns. It was one of the 18-19 dungeons, and the tank complained half way through that he shouldn't be getting so low. Most of the time I was hitting him with a heal at 1/3 to 1/2 down and the once or twice he dropped lower (usually cause of a heavy pulls and me DPSing) I Essential Dignity'd him. He then threw a fit and decided to not tank a boss after my friend called him out for being a baby, and despite this and another fight where me and my buddy held back waiting for loot and combat to drop to boot him, we had no wipes. It's one thing if I messed up and let him wipe, but I don't think I was doing anything horribly wrong?

The other happened when I was on SAM and a friend was WHM healing so I could do Sohm Al, and the tank was pulling a little too heavy, so my friend asked him to slow the pulls a bit so he could have mana. Tank replies "Sure, I'll do small pulls in accordance with your skills." So we decided to drop that toxic run.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Bremma posted:

I'm glad that for the most part people in roulettes are pretty chill (had a blast with a goofy group running Crystal Tower last night), but definitely ran into a few asshats.

I was running CT last night with friends and we were trolling the other alliance tanks. Were you in the one where our WAR was deliberately stealing aggro just because it made the DRK extraordinarily mad?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
In Dun Scaith on Diabolo's second phase, is his invulnerability phase timer based or damaged based?

Sometimes when I'm feeling lazy I'll spam blizzard 1 since everything does 0 damage anyway and wait until he starts taking damage to do my actual rotation and blow my cooldowns. I don't know if he just absorbs a certain amount of damage and I should go balls out anyway, or if it just takes some amount of time and I should just chill out and check my e-mail (until I eat a shadowthrust to the face)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's just a really fat stoneskin.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Truga posted:

It's just a really fat stoneskin.

welp

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Hommando posted:

I was running CT last night with friends and we were trolling the other alliance tanks. Were you in the one where our WAR was deliberately stealing aggro just because it made the DRK extraordinarily mad?

No, it was mostly my friend as WHM and the other healer in our alliance (pretty sure also WHM) bonding after they both insta-wiped trying to Holy a group of enemies and eating it on the second pull of the dungeon, and then a bunch of goofy chatter after that. Also a pro level tank in our alliance making the run go super nice.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Better to holy and die than to never holy at all

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

When do you think they'll buff DRK? I'm hoping in the next update. So far DRK is fun except being out-classed by the other two in everything.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

While the conversation is on this topic, I'm a fairly new tank and to the game (just hit 65 on paladin which is my first class after starting about 2 months ago). When do I do big pulls and when do I do single group pulls? It never seems like I can do it right. I try to pull multiple groups but then the ranged DPS start attacking the first group so I have to run back because they steal enmity. Or I pull a single group and a DPS writes, "zzz pull more." Or I pull 2 groups and the healer lets me die, even if I pop all my defensive cooldowns. Or I pull one group only and a DPS decides to pull a second group for me and just train it back to me. It just feels like whatever choice I make it's the wrong choice.

I know one lesson here is "This is what happens when you play with pubbies and that's just the way it's going to be." But is there some other indicator I should be looking out for? Since I'm a tank, I'm really trying to improve and provide a good experience for everyone since I really do sorta lead the way in dungeons. I always ask for feedback from my groups after each dungeon but never get any.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Alder posted:

When do you think they'll buff DRK? I'm hoping in the next update. So far DRK is fun except being out-classed by the other two in everything.

Is it? I usually outdo Paladins in DPS when I don't gently caress up my rotation.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Balance is pretty tight right now so don't expect this to happen anytime soon. Especially not with YoshiP offering tank balance as an example of something the dev team is happy with.

Chaosfirev posted:

Is it? I usually outdo Paladins in DPS when I don't gently caress up my rotation.

You play with a lot of bad paladins, or undergeared ones.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Rosalind posted:

While the conversation is on this topic, I'm a fairly new tank and to the game (just hit 65 on paladin which is my first class after starting about 2 months ago). When do I do big pulls and when do I do single group pulls? It never seems like I can do it right. I try to pull multiple groups but then the ranged DPS start attacking the first group so I have to run back because they steal enmity. Or I pull a single group and a DPS writes, "zzz pull more." Or I pull 2 groups and the healer lets me die, even if I pop all my defensive cooldowns. Or I pull one group only and a DPS decides to pull a second group for me and just train it back to me. It just feels like whatever choice I make it's the wrong choice.

I know one lesson here is "This is what happens when you play with pubbies and that's just the way it's going to be." But is there some other indicator I should be looking out for? Since I'm a tank, I'm really trying to improve and provide a good experience for everyone since I really do sorta lead the way in dungeons. I always ask for feedback from my groups after each dungeon but never get any.

You can throw out some tomahawks/shield lobs/dark.... orbs.... while you're running to the next pack.

My rule of thumb when running with randos is to pull two groups, and if for whatever reason the healer can't keep up I'll slow it down.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

FaintlyQuaint posted:

You play with a lot of bad paladins, or undergeared ones.

Huh, maybe. Either way i've never felt at a supreme disadvantage as a DRK so I'm pretty happy with where the tanks are at right now.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you're undergeared compared to your dps and losing the first pack you could also just hit them with two of your aoe emnity move instead of one before moving on.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

If you're undergeared compared to your dps and losing the first pack you could also just hit them with two of your aoe emnity move instead of one before moving on.

Pretty much this. If you start in shield oath and flash the first group twice while you run past, there should be no way you lose enmity before you reach the second group (and flash them too).

If you're dying to big pulls even when you use your cooldowns, it's probably the healer's fault unless you are badly under-geared. There are a few pulls in the 61-69 range that do very high damage though so that could be a factor too. The birds in Bardam after the first boss have killed many, many tanks that pulled them along into the next group of monsters.

Otherwise if you stay in shield oath for trash, rotate your cooldowns, and have decent equipment you should be pretty solid unless the healer is garbage. Once you get more confident you can switch to sword after the pack has been whittled down but it doesn't hurt to stay in shield for trash pulls.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

There's an option to turn off your particles in character settings :v:

I was messing around with this using different skills some time ago, it's pretty fun to check out what the poses look like when not obscured by all the flashy effects.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Have there been any images or videos released of the BRD performance actions coming in this next patch? I need to know if I need to break out my USB piano and learn Wonderwall.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Personally, I don't big pull unless it's a 50/60/70 dungeon. I assume either the tank or healer isn't geared enough for a big pull, the level sync is sensible enough that we can't power through it, or we're missing too much of our toolkits to make it worth the risk.

I'm also a giant piss baby tank and prefer healing.

The moral of this story is don't worry about big dick pulling. I won't judge you for not even trying, unless it's a 50/60/70 dungeon, in which then I will judge the gently caress out of you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What are Bards like solo? From a quick skim, most of their deal seems to be sacrificing damage for team buffs.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

What are Bards like solo? From a quick skim, most of their deal seems to be sacrificing damage for team buffs.

Pretty low survivability since they only get Second Wind as a healing ability. But they are DPS so stuff dies quickly enough.

This never really becomes a factor unless you're trying to solo unsynced dungeons/trials or kill higher-level hunt mobs, though.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Thanks for all the feedback. So as a paladin I should be dropping Shield Oath during dungeons if I feel like the healer has thing under control and I have enmity?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rosalind posted:

I asked other support roles to see if I'm tanking/healing well depending on your level you can always run challenging maps like AV, SV, DD, Vault and Lord of the Lake. The SB leveling maps are good places for practicing mass-pulls and speed runs if you ask your healer if it's ok. Typically you will become more confident as long as you're not dying and hold enmity then everything is OK.

BTW: I found healing to be the greater stressor as someone said you're responsible for everyone else's mistakes. Tank isn't so much as a leader vs tour guide since IDR all the maps and mechanics. Also, I liked how I never had to rmb mechanics as support too since I never did Ex-primals/raiding.

I did 30-70 on DRK and 30-60 on AST w/DF so I have seen a lot of death.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Renegret posted:

Personally, I don't big pull unless it's a 50/60/70 dungeon. I assume either the tank or healer isn't geared enough for a big pull, the level sync is sensible enough that we can't power through it, or we're missing too much of our toolkits to make it worth the risk.

I'm also a giant piss baby tank and prefer healing.

The moral of this story is don't worry about big dick pulling. I won't judge you for not even trying, unless it's a 50/60/70 dungeon, in which then I will judge the gently caress out of you.

Yeah I’d honestly not worry about big pulling in leveling dungeons. Some trash hits surprisingly hard, and you’re more likely to have undergeared party members to make life even more difficult. It’s really the 50/60/70 dungeons where you should be doing your best to big pull imo

Anyone who gets genuinely mad at you for single pulling in leveling dungeons is a piece of poo poo, don’t worry about them

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Rosalind posted:

Thanks for all the feedback. So as a paladin I should be dropping Shield Oath during dungeons if I feel like the healer has thing under control and I have enmity?

Yeah, in general you build your enmity lead under your tank stance and then switch to DPS stance once you feel comfortable. That applies to all tanks, really. You get more of a feel for the rhythm of things the more you tank.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hardly ever enter DPS stance during trash pulls. With some of the bigger pulls it'd probably be suicide

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

I hardly ever enter DPS stance during trash pulls. With some of the bigger pulls it'd probably be suicide

I’ve never done it, and I can’t imagine that for trash, the rewards outweigh the risk. Definitely learn to do it for bosses though

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I never ever ever drop shield oath during trash packs. It's just not worth it. I drop into sword oath every boss fight though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The only tank that should regularly leave tank stance during trash are Warriors because their tank stance is garbage and they gain way more out of having access to Decimate and TP recovery with Equilibrium than the other tanks do.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Steel Cyclone is kind of nice early in a trash pull for the heals but I'm no warrior savant.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Chaosfirev posted:

Huh, maybe. Either way i've never felt at a supreme disadvantage as a DRK so I'm pretty happy with where the tanks are at right now.
An optimized fight for a pld is like 100-200 ST dps over a DRK. It's nothing big and every raid caters to PLD off tank dps so it appears skewed anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wasn't there a DRK on the World's First Bahamut clear?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

There was and his reasoning was that he liked playing DRK, which is the best reason.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Thundarr posted:

There was and his reasoning was that he liked playing DRK, which is the best reason.

Oh yeah, games are for fun, I almost forgot.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I hope people explained to him how he made the party dps 0.65% suboptimal.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

Ya, ofc.

Someone mentioned the interview about YoshiP saying tank balance was good and cited Ultimate, but he also did mention that Shake It Off's impact was a very obvious advantage over Drk. So it's not like he's totes out of touch but players are being a little disingenuous about how good shake it off is when 99% of players just press the button to feel good (if they even remember it exists).

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Steel Cyclone is kind of nice early in a trash pull for the heals but I'm no warrior savant.

It's pretty solid to help you stabilize your hp as the group catches up with you during big pulls. If Inner Release is off CD though, gently caress that the healer can work harder, I got a full beast gauge and a desire to drop some sick Decimates on trash.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Someone mentioned the interview about YoshiP saying tank balance was good and cited Ultimate, but he also did mention that Shake It Off's impact was a very obvious advantage over Drk. So it's not like he's totes out of touch but players are being a little disingenuous about how good shake it off is when 99% of players just press the button to feel good (if they even remember it exists).

Yeah, one guy playing the class for fun (and probably being insanely good at it) isn't exactly a solid indicator of the class being fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Can someone help me pick a new job to play? I just came back after about an 8 month break and I want to try something new. I only got my bard to level 38 or so and it's just.. boring. For whatever reason I just don't find it fun. I was thinking maybe ninja, are they good and/or fun? And I'm probably going to play a healer class too- I played a lot of WHM in FFXI, are they still competitively viable or should I roll with scholar?

Of course I know that alot of this will be subjective, but any opinions are welcome. I just want a fun class to play, bard is just boring to me. Cheers :)