Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Ya, ofc.

Someone mentioned the interview about YoshiP saying tank balance was good and cited Ultimate, but he also did mention that Shake It Off's impact was a very obvious advantage over Drk. So it's not like he's totes out of touch but players are being a little disingenuous about how good shake it off is when 99% of players just press the button to feel good (if they even remember it exists).

Make TBN party wide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

zeldadude posted:

Can someone help me pick a new job to play? I just came back after about an 8 month break and I want to try something new. I only got my bard to level 38 or so and it's just.. boring. For whatever reason I just don't find it fun. I was thinking maybe ninja, are they good and/or fun? And I'm probably going to play a healer class too- I played a lot of WHM in FFXI, are they still competitively viable or should I roll with scholar?

Of course I know that alot of this will be subjective, but any opinions are welcome. I just want a fun class to play, bard is just boring to me. Cheers :)

Black Mage or Dark Knight.

I didn't read the rest of your post those are just the two coolest classes in the game and everyone should play them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

zeldadude posted:

Can someone help me pick a new job to play? I just came back after about an 8 month break and I want to try something new. I only got my bard to level 38 or so and it's just.. boring. For whatever reason I just don't find it fun. I was thinking maybe ninja, are they good and/or fun? And I'm probably going to play a healer class too- I played a lot of WHM in FFXI, are they still competitively viable or should I roll with scholar?

Of course I know that alot of this will be subjective, but any opinions are welcome. I just want a fun class to play, bard is just boring to me. Cheers :)

Ninja is pretty fun but you don't get the good parts of your kit until fairly late. Early rogue/ninja is boring as heck. Monk has a similar speed but the core of their playstyle is there right from level 6. They do need to move around more than ninjas though.

Whm is cool and at most levels though once you learn Regen you will hate any dungeon that synchs you too low to use it. Scholar is great and the fairy often lets you go full time dps while it handles the healing, but it's also a more complicated job than whm to play at a high level of skill.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Bard is Good but the rear end ton of oGCDs you get are fairly back loaded. Sidewinder, Empyral Arrow, and Wanderers Minuet with the lovely Pitch Perfect cannon shots help a ton cause you'll get to have a song up 24/7 instead of the awkward down time that only 2 songs gives you. 70 Bard gets Reflugent Arrow for filler for Straighter Shot procs that you can Barrage for a hilarious 900 potency.

I just finished leveling Bard, the job definitely keeps you busy at max and anything 50 or lower is pretty dull, the shuffling of skills killed a lot of jobs pre 50 or even 60 (or 70 in MCH case imo). If your not having fun by all means try another job, I'm just trying to assure you it gets better. If your looking for something faster or more involved I'd recommend MNK, SMN, and NIN my self. 2 are melee jobs with innate speed buffs to keep the gcd rolling faster, and SMM is a caster that's very involved and difficult to master all the timers you have to juggle for MAX DEEPS imo.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Reasons to play WHM: Big numbers, Holy

Reasons to play SCH: AFK /follow on the tank in low level dungeons

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
They'll buff DRK damage when they buff AST damage ie: don't hold your breath because they don't give a poo poo about a slight DPS discrepancy. It seems their goal is to kind of have the jobs close to one another while still maintaining their own flavour.

Overall, I'm not sure how I feel about their class balance policy. While class balance isn't as bad as other MMOs, especially when you don't pause to think about extra non-pDPS bonuses a job may bring, it still seems to be the case that SE is fairly happy to allow a class to languish in relative disuse if they're personally satisfied with it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I haven’t run LDR as a SCH since SB launch but I seemed to recall the fairy nerf making it so you actually had to throw out physicks occasionally.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

hobbesmaster posted:

I haven’t run LDR as a SCH since SB launch but I seemed to recall the fairy nerf making it so you actually had to throw out physicks occasionally.

Anything before Brayflox is like two Physicks a dungeon, otherwise the fairy still does 99% of the work.

After Brayflox it's maybe like four.

Bad tank factor notwithstanding.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Wasn't there a DRK on the World's First Bahamut clear?

I think every class has cleared now except for BLM (lmao)

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
The fairy can still solo heal most low level dungeons unless your tank is absolutely atrocious. All the other SB nerfs which might have impacted how you play in higher level dungeons have been dialled back, or had some other buff to balance things out. I'd actually say SCH is the most powerful healer at the moment, though I guess it's a bit 50/50 when it comes to 4-mans between it and WHM.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chucat posted:

I think every class has cleared now except for BLM (lmao)

It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s not possible without a shorter cd on aetherial manip.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Renegret posted:

Black Mage or Dark Knight.

I didn't read the rest of your post those are just the two coolest classes in the game and everyone should play them.

Why would you want boring old conventional magic in a franchise that lets you throw gods at people? :colbert:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Why would you want boring old conventional magic in a franchise that lets you throw gods at people? :colbert:

They’re really big fireballs though

I keep thinking I want to be blm, but then I play it and say gently caress it and go back to rdm

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Darth Walrus posted:

Because egis are super lame

Get back to me when summoners are reworked so that summons are giant nukes

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Renegret posted:

Egis are replaced with 15 second cast nuke spells. During the cast they replace the skybox with a Titantron entrance video for that primal along with their musical theme.

Then the boss jumps at 14 seconds.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Replace all dungeons with a 20 minute loop of the knights of the round animation from ff7

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Replace all dungeons with a 20 minute loop of the knights of the round animation from ff7

So that’d be, what, two casts? Three?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

Why would you only show half the animation though?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Renegret posted:

Egis are little chunks of gods you ripped from their owners, kept as trophies, and then used to pummel other gods into submission so you could rip bits off them as well.

“Yeah, this? Used to be the Lord of the Inferno. Cute, isn’t he? You’re next.”

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Anyone pining for giant summons that take up all the screen or have huge SFX should go do Titan Ex and have Meteor or Vermilion Scourge cast right before he does the five way landslides.

The are good reasons why the Egis are small and unobtrusive, and as to why people demanded to be able to make Demi-Bahamut smaller.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Plus, when summons are giant nukes, it sounds like a mechanic that lets me cast one and get a seven-day cooldown before I can cast it again

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Bell_ posted:

Plus, when summons are giant nukes, it sounds like a mechanic that lets me cast one and get a seven-day cooldown before I can cast it again

I was whining about SMN as much as anyone else back in 4.0, but now that it actually plays well again I'd really rather they not poke at it (and probably break it again).

That said, would it kill them to implement more egi glamours besides the whole "yay you can use Carbuncles again" system they have now? Like, Ramuh would be a drop-in replacement for Garuda-egi, just have him drop lightning on stuff instead of shooting aerial blasts. Or have Ravana or Partydad replace Ifrit, Thordan can replace Titan I guess.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

HiKaizer posted:

Anyone pining for giant summons that take up all the screen or have huge SFX should go do Titan Ex and have Meteor or Vermilion Scourge cast right before he does the five way landslides.

The are good reasons why the Egis are small and unobtrusive, and as to why people demanded to be able to make Demi-Bahamut smaller.

I feel like Demi-Bahamut delivers the feel of "summon thing, make stuff explode" properly. Now if we could just get some more egi glamours like Ramuh or Sephirot that we know they already have egi forms for. And maybe an option for say Demi-Alexander too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You should get a gold Demi bahamut glamor for clearing unending coil.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I thought demi-bahamut was there specifically to satisfy the "why isn't my summon more impressive" crowd. It's a big dragon that shows up, fires off a couple giant space lasers, and then fucks off. (And does wyrmwaves while you weave the gently caress out of your oGCDs)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

HiKaizer posted:

I was in a pug o3s where an rdm did this as spell blade holy went out during book phase. It was the best troll and fastest kick ever.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

zeldadude posted:

WHM so you can be the holy mage and then switch to RDM/SAM once you hit lvl 50 and join the club. Tanking is fine if you like swords/shields or giant war axes but then again you're going to have to deal w/the leveling maps too...

You can go and unlock job quests and hang out in Palace of the Dead to see if you like gameplay after a few hours.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
My long Eorzian national nightmare is over -- I finished all the ARR Beast Tribe quests! :toot:
I always thought 12 daily was way too small an amount for BT quests, but now that ARR's is done it...acutally does fit.

I also got my GSM to 50, so now I can actually go around and start doing all those red quests that've been bugging me/ruining Mor Dhona's map now!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rastan Beeza posted:

My long Eorzian national nightmare is over -- I finished all the ARR Beast Tribe quests! :toot:
I always thought 12 daily was way too small an amount for BT quests, but now that ARR's is done it...acutally does fit.

I also got my GSM to 50, so now I can actually go around and start doing all those red quests that've been bugging me/ruining Mor Dhona's map now!

Don't forget to do the alliance quest now that you have finished every beast tribe's quest line. It's pretty great.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Somehow my male avatar manages to look even more like a girl every time I edit him. :smith:

On the plus side, I finish the Moogle Quests tomorrow + Heavensward's Allied Quest. Then I'll be all done with BTQs until the Ananta are added.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Instead of making TBN party wide how about they make Sole Survivor actually useful and make it like the PVP version?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thundarr posted:

Egis are replaced with 15 second cast nuke spells. During the cast they replace the skybox with a Titantron entrance video for that primal along with their musical theme.

Then the boss jumps at 14 seconds.

I would switch mains if they did this

e:

HiKaizer posted:

But I want to make Bahamut bigger

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

There must be a bahamut plushy you can put in front of your screen or something

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Play ninja. Once you get far enough in the game, you get the ability to go fast. What other reason do you need?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Instead of making TBN party wide how about they make Sole Survivor actually useful and make it like the PVP version?

Because that would just mean that DRK is a required slot.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

HiKaizer posted:

Bahamut should have been bigger

i agree

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I didn't personally have a problem with big Bahamut. Babyhamut is very cute though.

FFXIV is too movement based and relies on visual cues and indicators too much unlike FFXI. The big showy attacks just don't suit the game well and limiting them to LB animations is probably one of the better compromises.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So when are Stormblood relics and Eureka happening? I don't remember the last time they even mentioned them. I'm starting to get the feeling that they completely trashed the idea after the cold reception that Diadem 2.0 got.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

So when are Stormblood relics and Eureka happening? I don't remember the last time they even mentioned them. I'm starting to get the feeling that they completely trashed the idea after the cold reception that Diadem 2.0 got.

They discussed it in an interview recently, there's going to be Relic Armor. It's probably going to be in 4.2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just had this tank in Skalla:

That's for single target, of course.