Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd also take Mongol. Brainiac you could actually scale the stakes down a bit if you want, instead of necessarily trying to destroy the world he could just be stealing Metropolis and putting it in a bottle, and Superman find the last city of Kandor in his ship, maybe get stuck in it for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'd also take Mongol. Brainiac you could actually scale the stakes down a bit if you want, instead of necessarily trying to destroy the world he could just be stealing Metropolis and putting it in a bottle, and Superman find the last city of Kandor in his ship, maybe get stuck in it for a bit.

Man, can you imagine Mongul and his not-Death Star War World? That would be amazing

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Well, when people are basically calling others stupid for citing perfectly valid reasons why they didn't care for something, then yeah. There is a subset of "films nobs" or whatever you want to call them that like to look on people who didn't care for, say, Eraserhead, 2001 or Naked Lunch and it's usually couched in the assertion that the viewer lacks sophistication.

Calling people dumb and ignorant, strangely enough, does tend to make the target a bit defensive. Some of the rebuttals directed at me were "haw, haw. I bet BiggerBoat would REALLY freak out if he watched (insert avant garde director or film)".

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Al Borland Corp. posted:

haha yes I've been saying Mongul as Reality-TV Warlord of War-World would make an awesome movie

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok here's what we'll do. Combine the gimmicks a bit.

Mongul just steals Metropolis and puts it on War World and jets off. He is going to force metropolis citizens to fight for his amusement on his dangerous cyber planet. Clark Kent of course is there. And they're away from Earth and that's why the rest of the league can't be involved. Maybe Lex snuck into metropolis before this city kidnapping.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The only DC thing I've really been pining for is the evil amusement park Darkseid has in Kirby's 4th World books.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BiggerBoat posted:

Calling people dumb and ignorant, strangely enough, does tend to make the target a bit defensive. Some of the rebuttals directed at me were "haw, haw. I bet BiggerBoat would REALLY freak out if he watched (insert avant garde director or film)".

Well tbh I think you would, not because you're a dummy but because you seem to immediately shut down and start thinking the director is trying to play a trick on you or make you feel like an idiot the minute the plot starts getting esoteric.

Maybe they want it to be a nightmare world? Maybe the logical breakdowns are the point? Maybe that's how some people feel all the time, and they're just trying to communicate with the audience? Making a film takes a lot more work then squirting toothpaste on glass; choosing Eyes Wide Shut is particularly damning because Kubrick famously pushed himself, the cast, and the crew to the limit to get exactly what he wanted. You believe that he did that as some sort of hustle, as an elaborate troll?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, when people are basically calling others stupid for citing perfectly valid reasons why they didn't care for something, then yeah.

That's literally what Blazing Ownager did and you came out of the gate defending him and saying everyone who defended BvS were elitists who were implicitly calling other people stupid by arguing that the film makes sense.

Like, you get the whole "MoS/BvS are lovely movies and CD posters are so loving crazy" drive-by shitposts similarly make people defensive as well, yeah?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Remake Superman 2 with Michael Keaton playing every character

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Man of Steel pulls a lot of the meaty themes out of Brainiac, between the Kryptons, their ship and the world engine. Short of having a blue-green man around to talk through a vocoder, I'm not sure what else you could get out.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ok here's what we'll do. Combine the gimmicks a bit.

Mongul just steals Metropolis and puts it on War World and jets off. He is going to force metropolis citizens to fight for his amusement on his dangerous cyber planet. Clark Kent of course is there. And they're away from Earth and that's why the rest of the league can't be involved. Maybe Lex snuck into metropolis before this city kidnapping.

"Listen up, maggots. We're in the fourth quarter and ratings are STILL down across all clusters. The owners are buzzing me every half-cycle. We need to offer the galaxy a product that's fresh, speaks to them, and makes them praise their primitive gods we haven't brought War-World to their systems. Listen: we've brought in warrior-races, sorcerers, hellspawn and the greatest fighters in a million worlds. But you know what people really want to see? Themselves. Put some yokel under the lights and say 'this could be you,' they eat it up. That's our in for the next round of sweeps: five million completely ordinary contestants struggling to survive the deadliest Planetoid Arena in the Spiral Arm! It has drama, pathos, guts! This is my best idea yet, give yourselves a raise!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

got any sevens posted:

Remake Superman 2 with Michael Keaton playing every character

Man, how depressing would 66 year old Jimmy Olsen, junior photographer be?

Jimmy, just give up on the dream. It ain't happening.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, when people are basically calling others stupid for citing perfectly valid reasons why they didn't care for something, then yeah. There is a subset of "films nobs" or whatever you want to call them that like to look on people who didn't care for, say, Eraserhead, 2001 or Naked Lunch and it's usually couched in the assertion that the viewer lacks sophistication.

At first it was fine and he didn't really go off the rails.

Then their posts were like "BLAH. BLAH BLAH. BLAH" and very exaggerated. People, I think, responded in earnest but they double downed and were just here to argue in bad faith.

Then run back to GBS crying that the fussy CD posters hurt their feelings.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

josh04 posted:

Man of Steel pulls a lot of the meaty themes out of Brainiac, between the Kryptons, their ship and the world engine. Short of having a blue-green man around to talk through a vocoder, I'm not sure what else you could get out.

Yeah. I thought there may be an interesting plotline in Brainiac offering Kal-El a connection to his home world, but in Man of Steel, we already heard "Krypton had its chance."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well tbh I think you would, not because you're a dummy but because you seem to immediately shut down and start thinking the director is trying to play a trick on you or make you feel like an idiot the minute the plot starts getting esoteric.

Maybe they want it to be a nightmare world? Maybe the logical breakdowns are the point? Maybe that's how some people feel all the time, and they're just trying to communicate with the audience? Making a film takes a lot more work then squirting toothpaste on glass; choosing Eyes Wide Shut is particularly damning because Kubrick famously pushed himself, the cast, and the crew to the limit to get exactly what he wanted. You believe that he did that as some sort of hustle, as an elaborate troll?

Where the gently caress did you get that from? I LIKE weird, challenging movies. Probably even more than most people. Not liking EWS or Mullholland Drive doesn't make me stupid or imply any of the things you're inferring at all.

Guy A. Person posted:

That's literally what Blazing Ownager did and you came out of the gate defending him and saying everyone who defended BvS were elitists who were implicitly calling other people stupid by arguing that the film makes sense.

I didn't say that either and I don't remember BO calling anyone stupid. I was referring to certain types of people who like high art surrealistic art and cinema who often have a tendency to poo poo on people who say "I got it. I just think it sucks." or, God for loving bid, "i don't get it", wich is even worse. David Lynch has made some movies I like and they're usually interesting. Same with Kubrick who I usually love, but SOME people act like if you don't love all they're poo poo (or any of it) then you're a dumb and bourgeois. Then they'll point to BvS box office numbers in the next breath.

This is a fact and several posters in this thread did exactly this and dogpiled on the dude. Then name dropped a high end director like it was sick burn.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 21, 2017

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Alejandro Jodorowsky, High End Director

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Here's a panel from a comic Jodorowsky wrote about a magic spaceman who fights with the power of having no dick.

It simply doesn't get more pretentious and highbrow than that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

This is a fact and several posters in this thread did exactly this and dogpiled on the dude. Then name dropped a high end director like it was sick burn.

BO was literally the first person to bring up Lynch as a way to invoke the "CineD posters are so goddamn crazy and full of poo poo!" meme:

Blazing Ownager posted:

I feel like I'm talking to one of those people who claims to perfectly understand a Lynch film and then either rattle on some bullshit they made up in their own head as the understanding, or just be saying it for cred.

Do explain, professor. What was the character motivation (we'll limit it to that) behind Batman, Superman, and Lex Luthor in Batman vs Superman from beginning to end?

I badly want to know. Help me get into the mind of Zack Snyder, may I brave such madness and return sane.

Like you can go back and read the full conversation. IMO Vintersong has it spot on that the conversation started out pretty cordial but then kept devolving until it became a name calling match. In light of him parachuting over to GBS to complain about CD it seems to me like he was mostly here to loving mine quotes. The first thing he posted over there were people calling him "loving stupid" or whatever but that didn't happen until about the 3rd page of him posting.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

BO was literally the first person to bring up Lynch as a way to invoke the "CineD posters are so goddamn crazy and full of poo poo!" meme:

I think he's talking about when someone mentioned Alejandro "I'm just gonna put stuff in my movie I think looks cool" Jodorowsky as an example of someone for whom a "I'm gonna solve the puzzle" approach to reading film would result in a brain aneurysm.

The idea of referring to a guy who spent most of his life writing for Heavy Metal magazine as a director held in esteem only by snobbish elite film theorists is giving me the giggles.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

He's really not and he's making good points. I agree with him about BvS and Lynch. Mullholland Drive is one of the worst "it's so hosed up, it must be genius" films I've ever seen - weird for the sake of being weird - and it's loving horrible. See also, Eyes Wide Shut and, for that matter, Naked Lunch since someone brought up Videodrome.

I like weird movies and I enjoy being intellectually challenged but when art gets into "you're just not smart enough to get it" territory, I check out. It's like certain aspects of modern art where someone squirts toothpaste in a shot glass or puts different colored bowling balls in a fishtank filled with 7-Up and if I call bullshit, I'm the plebe.

I have had BvS explained to me, and I even got a lot of it. I just thought it was poorly conveyed and the movie loving sucked. People saying "it's all right there!" are basically calling the majority of people saying "I don't see it" stupid even when they clearly point out the problems they have.

Mulholland Drive is an astoundingly simple film if you go into it with the slightest willingness to engage with it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BiggerBoat posted:

Where the gently caress did you get that from? I LIKE weird, challenging movies. Probably even more than most people. Not liking EWS or Mullholland Drive doesn't make me stupid or imply any of the things you're inferring at all.

The trouble is that you are thinking about art purely in terms of whether you like it or not, and then getting offended when people note that the things you consequently write are factually incorrect or outright false.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'd honestly never heard of Alejandro Jodorowsky so I assumed he was a film maker based on the context of the post.

Snowman_McK posted:

Mulholland Drive is an astoundingly simple film if you go into it with the slightest willingness to engage with it.

So when I rented it and sat down to watch it with an interest in David Lynch, you're saying that was an unwillingness to engage?

Edit: this is exactly the sort of smug attitude I was attempting to describe.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 21, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd honestly never heard of Alejandro Jodorowsky so I assumed he was a film maker based on the context of the post.

So when I rented it and sat down to watch it with an interest in David Lynch, you're saying that was an unwillingness to engage?

Note how, instead of describing any sort of formal flaw in Mulholland Drive that might render it incomprehensible, you continue to insist that you are ‘smart’ and others are ‘smug’.

This demonstrates that your priorities are hosed.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Here's a panel from a comic Jodorowsky wrote about a magic spaceman who fights with the power of having no dick.

It simply doesn't get more pretentious and highbrow than that.

Nice cherry picking.

Jodorowsky is a flawed, flawed guy. But at least he's distinctive. At least he's willing to experiment. And he's way, way more formidable that the bit of camp that you pulled out would seem to indicate.

A quick intro video to Alejandro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgr7fAD2vTI

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 21, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Holy Mountain is a real good film. It's loving weird but I guarantee that you'll remember it forever. It has extremely striking imagery.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

So people literally cannot say that Mulholland Drive is a movie that makes sense without it being a personal insult to you?

Do you see how this completely shuts down and kind of discussion?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CountFosco posted:

Nice cherry picking.

Jodorowsky is a flawed, flawed guy. But at least he's distinctive. At least he's willing to experiment. And he's way, way more formidable that the bit of camp that you pulled out would seem to indicate.

Please explain.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Please explain.

What's there to explain? You posted some panels which I don't think are necessarily all that impressive, but they represent a small portion of his overall work. Oeuvre if you want to be fancy about it. He's a practicing occultist and that transfers into his art in ways which some find particularly obnoxious and pretentious, but if you're going to scrub all of your art from that sort of thing you're going to be left with a vastly diminished art history.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CountFosco posted:

What's there to explain? You posted some panels which I don't think are necessarily all that impressive, but they represent a small portion of his overall work. Oeuvre if you want to be fancy about it. He's a practicing occultist and that transfers into his art in ways which some find particularly obnoxious and pretentious, but if you're going to scrub all of your art from that sort of thing you're going to be left with a vastly diminished art history.

What about it is "formidable", though? He's like the least subtle person to ever live. The only way his films could be thought of as formidable is if you insist on them being coherent. I mean The Holy Mountain literally ends with him telling you "hey it's just a movie don't worry about what it means."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I like The Metabarons but it is, for better or worse, pure unfiltered Jodorowsky.

Endless Poetry is great though, and despite his ego he absolutely portrays himself as a pretentious clown (sometimes literally as that was his job for a bit) at various points in it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/THROnline/status/932768761291198464

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah, sounds about right. I thought they'd at least chug it along until the Dwayne Johnson one though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

At least they got a few more movies than Universal's DARK UNIVERSE.

You know before they really started going in with the universe thing, it seemed like a good enough way to set their movies apart from Marvel would have been to keep doing stuff like the Nolan trilogy. Like just have strong director's do whatever with each character compared to Marvel having directors do the exact same thing with each movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Click the link, y'all

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think I buy that because Wonder Woman 2 is going to be a thing.

They'd be crazy not to make a sequel to that

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
teehee well played whoever sniped that twitter account

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Click the link, y'all

Checks out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

This is going to surprise you, but you can voluntarily watch a film without being willing to engage with it. I mean, if you actually want to talk about the film rather than our assumptions about each other's motives, let's do that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/status/932832288873656325

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope he's the antagonist of We're Wolves. Looks like a werewolf but scarier.

In actual news: Lizzy Caplan will be the female lead of the Gambit movie: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/904569-lizzy-caplan-joins-channing-tatum-in-gambit

• Locked thread