Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Azran posted:

If my biggest criticism of Endless Legend was the fact that the AI was really bad and the combat system was really obtuse (stopped playing before the expansions came out), will I enjoy ES2?

If my first attempt at a game is anything to go by you will hate it. The pirates are numerous and dumb. The combat system is incredibly obtuse, more so than EL in my experience. I was getting trashed by pirate ships, despite the balance being massively in my favour, with no real indication as to why. The pirate ships after beating my fleet then spent 20 turns flying back and forth across the same star-lane thing, making no attempt to capture / siege my planet.

My first game is going really badly. I can't seem to tech up my ships fast enough to beat these pirates. Even though they aren't engaging my planets they attack my ships and I can't expand out. I unlocked attacker and defender hulls to no avail as the pirates are super powerful now.

There is so much going on in this game its insane. Hoping that once I get to grips with it all I will enjoy it, as was the case for Endless Legend, where initially I hated the combat but grew very fond of it over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can anyone help me figure this out? I have a planet with the Tree of Worlds but it does not look like it is giving its happiness bonus?

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Can anyone help me figure this out? I have a planet with the Tree of Worlds but it does not look like it is giving its happiness bonus?

It's part of the +8 from Planet. The game sums up all the approval bonuses and penalties from planet types, anomalies, luxuries and another thing or two--basically any flat + or - approval per population, plus (I think) the tech that gives +5 approval per planet--and shows them to you as that part of the tooltip. It's presumably a design compromise so the approval tooltip isn't four times as long, but it's stupidly uninformative all the same; I filed a bug report because Amplitude used the same convention with an undocumented penalty that the Harmony got in Endless Space 1 because there was no way to tell that it was something that was supposed to happen.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Yeah the red Colonized indicates a negative anomaly iirc so it's been summed up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Got it, thanks guys!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

TsarZiedonis posted:

I'm in the second part of the academy quest and half of my four member alliance went religious, the other half science. There's no way I'm breaking out of my alliance (the galaxy is basically in a 4v4 of good guys vs bad) just to drive some leaders onto lodestones for some dumb quest.

I guess this means the AI will just leave lesser fleets orbiting the sites uselessly until I conquer every capital planet.

I've had this problem too- the easiest way around it is to get the tech that lets you turn mercenaries into privateers and go "eject" your allies that way. (It helped that my ally only had token scout fleets on the lodestones, though...)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright so, another dumb question. The Unfallen have used their unique ability to take control of a nebula from me despite it being in my influence circle. Do I have to nuke the two systems that the vines are coming from to make it stop?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Alright so, another dumb question. The Unfallen have used their unique ability to take control of a nebula from me despite it being in my influence circle. Do I have to nuke the two systems that the vines are coming from to make it stop?

I don't think it's possible to tell from your screenshot; we'd have to see the layout of the Unfallen empire. If both Caelum and Elma can trace vines back to their homeworld without passing through the other, then yes you would have to nuke both. If both worlds are part of a single branch, though, you only have to nuke the world closest on the branch to their homeworld to knock out everything further down the line.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Paper Kaiju posted:

I don't think it's possible to tell from your screenshot; we'd have to see the layout of the Unfallen empire. If both Caelum and Elma can trace vines back to their homeworld without passing through the other, then yes you would have to nuke both. If both worlds are part of a single branch, though, you only have to nuke the world closest on the branch to their homeworld to knock out everything further down the line.
I didnt realize I would need to take that far a field of a screenshot :v:. They both connect back to their homeworld so I guess I'll be bringing out the buzzsaws. Thank you!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

mitochondritom posted:

If my first attempt at a game is anything to go by you will hate it. The pirates are numerous and dumb. The combat system is incredibly obtuse, more so than EL in my experience. I was getting trashed by pirate ships, despite the balance being massively in my favour, with no real indication as to why. The pirate ships after beating my fleet then spent 20 turns flying back and forth across the same star-lane thing, making no attempt to capture / siege my planet.

My first game is going really badly. I can't seem to tech up my ships fast enough to beat these pirates. Even though they aren't engaging my planets they attack my ships and I can't expand out. I unlocked attacker and defender hulls to no avail as the pirates are super powerful now.

There is so much going on in this game its insane. Hoping that once I get to grips with it all I will enjoy it, as was the case for Endless Legend, where initially I hated the combat but grew very fond of it over time.

From my experience and browsing the forums, it seems that range is king and missiles are worthless. In other words, this means that beams and lasers are the way to go when it comes to weapons and naturally this means that shields should be the only thing used in defense slots.

Going for the enhanced hulls is also a very good idea because it gives more slots for your ships which tends to mean more guns and stuff. Better modules and more slots is the main way of making the ships better if you don' have any way of adding more ships to the fleet because of command limits. I've also found that the support ships like the medium coordinator tend to have a guardian trait which makes it attract enemy fire. So having a few support ships is good because this allows for your regular ships to keep firing. Said support ships also have a lot of slots for defense modules so they tend to be tankier than normal.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
As Horatio I've had some solid success with outfitting their shittier than usual attack ships with missiles and kinetic enhancers (decision influenced by strategic resources and anomaly techs). No engines, no armor, just weapons and enhancers and no defense ships until I unlock fleet command cap 7. Usually effective even when the pirates break out medium hulls, but sometimes falls flat, especially quest pirates or failure to keep my weapon tech up with pirates.

Of course this fleet is painfully slow and wins or dies by extremes, so I work on a real fleet eventually.

Sometimes ignoring pirates is surprisingly viable depending on their location. With the 5 colony cap I often can expand sufficiently in another direction, and the pirates do practically nothing if you shove your fleet in the hanger and your civilian fleet is going the other direction. I do aim to wipe them after the initial expansion rush though.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 24, 2017

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

I didnt realize I would need to take that far a field of a screenshot :v:. They both connect back to their homeworld so I guess I'll be bringing out the buzzsaws. Thank you!

I'll also add that when your empire is up next to the Unfallen, it might be more beneficial to form an alliance with them (giving up that system, but gaining the other benefits of an alliance) than spending the time and effort to uproot them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Paper Kaiju posted:

I'll also add that when your empire is up next to the Unfallen, it might be more beneficial to form an alliance with them (giving up that system, but gaining the other benefits of an alliance) than spending the time and effort to uproot them.
Whoops, I already started the war but I will keep this in mind for future games. Thanks again!

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Just started playing. Got a popup giving me a bonus for "having control of a constellation" . Only problem is I have no idea what triggered it. Is it because I've been exploring like a motherfucker? I only have 3 systems.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

When I get deep into the dust tree I start getting the option to make trade facilities, and buildings that "increase trade value of system" even if there's no trade hub there. I have questions

Do I only want to build trade systems end to end, just completely stretch them as far as possible to get that silk road thing going?
Do I want to raise the trade value of those systems?
Sometimes I get the option to make more than one trade subsidiary, rules on that?
When I do I have the ability to build a 2nd trade depot but haven't yet is this related or coincidence?
Should I put them in different constellations if at all possible?
-32 dust on system is a huge loving investment. What does increasing trade value of a system by 25% mean? I don't see my nations dust/turn go up.
How many ships do I add to a trading network and if I hate the resources should I go straight dust/science ships?

I don't feel like much of these are explained in game. When do I make trading depots and what do I care about to upgrade systems to make the most money?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, there is literally no explanation of how/why trades routes work, it's just Aplitude's standard MO of dumping a complex mechanic in and hoping the players figure it out via context. Except for trade routes, you have no loving way of calculating how you're supposed to place the things. I've just dropped them down everywhere, as far as possible from each other, and watch the pitiable income for wasting literally thousands of dust on it.

For you, the only thing I can answer is that you get more trade companies when the existing ones have 'made enough profit'. You can speed this by looking at the economy tab and buying more ships for the company (expensive!). There's a % bar that slowly rises.

edit: For control of the Constellation thing, it's awarded to whoever has explored the entire starlane tree of it, and has the most (min. 3) systems in it. Zoom out with the overlays on to see constellation arrays/bonus'

Serephina fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 25, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You're overthinking it. Just build trading companies wherever and it'll all work out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How do the expanding influence circles that spread from your colonized systems work for non-Emperor's Will factions? Do they still get them? Does the influence you get from Emperor's Will only go into your Influence pool or does it also go into the circle your stars project?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Does the vodyani ark essence module auto-drain my own planets? Is that why I never have any manpower?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Krinkle posted:

Does the vodyani ark essence module auto-drain my own planets? Is that why I never have any manpower?

You have no manpower because Vodyani reproduce incredibly slowly and manpower is derived from population growth.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Press spacebar, see all your trade routes and what income they bring.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I've done nothing but build food buildings to pump up the vodyani's manpower and I am still -12 per turn what the hell can I even do? I haven't built a single crew module? I cleared one pirate base but it came back by turn 50 and now I can't do anything. I can't invade anyone. How do you raise manpower?

e: I really really really think that essence modules suck up my manpower???

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 25, 2017

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Krinkle posted:

I've done nothing but build food buildings to pump up the vodyani's manpower and I am still -12 per turn what the hell can I even do? I haven't built a single crew module? I cleared one pirate base but it came back by turn 50 and now I can't do anything. I can't invade anyone. How do you raise manpower?

What's your "Empire Manpower" on the military screen say?

If you somehow have a system with good food, extreme composites and agri drugs unlock a couple of buildings that convert food to manpower. There's Military Penance, replacing the usual pop->manpower conversion with essence->manpower.

While there might be something I'm missing you don't really have that many options. Did you primarily invade that pirate base or did you slam it A2S Slugs first?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Got to admit that description for Tree of Worlds is making me itch to write something similar.

That's such an awesome idea.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the concept of yggdrasil?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My next question for the thread is: Can someone explain why I get two different results in the "Effects within a System Development Upgrade" on these two different screens?

compared to

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the first is if you use it for a system development, ie: when you pick it for upgrading your systems (see the 5 in the screenshot), you can apply this bonus to any system you upgrade and it will cost a certain amount of the resource, depending on the upgrade level. the second is the bonus the resource gives on the planet you get it from. you get that even without using it

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

This really is too bad. I'm generally all about Canon when it comes to these kinds of settings and games, but it's really easy to get attached to all the factions in EL and just to hear that they all canonly lose out to the vaulters (kinda boring) sucks.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Krinkle posted:

Essence modules don't do anything to your manpower. Vodyani get like three or four manpower per turn via normal means, due to their mechanics. Even if you pump food and have a huge minor species pop presence on your colonies, your manpower generation sucks out loud until you get relatively high up in the tech tree.

Your best bet for empire manpower as Vodyani is to find a whole bunch of minor civs. Dump some of the boatloads of influence you should be generating into them to quickly boost their relations with you, then brainwash them once they hit 100. You can steal the civs from other empires with brainwashing, and once they're brainwashed, they stay under your control, and you can harvest them for essence without them getting angry about it. Brainwashed minor civs will give you manpower, a little bit of essence, and some other resources, depending on their system. Now, they also won't grow while you're vacuuming up their population, so if you want them to get bigger and produce more stuff to give you, you'll want to rotate through your harvesting or let them be for a few dozen turns every so often.

Note that even having five or six minor civs feeding your manpower pool tends to net you only a few hundred manpower per turn, so you'll probably want to turn on the law that gives you essence by pop, and then use Military Penance on the reg.

Building ships (including essence harvesters, but not the harvester modules themselves), plopping down an ark on a new system, and invading will all eat manpower by the hundreds to thousands in each instance. It's possible you're still paying the manpower debt you ran up when you made your invasion fleet in the first place. If you mouse over the manpower counter and it looks normal, check your ships to see if they're under 100% manning. Any time they reenter your borders after an invasion, they'll start draining your pool until they've refilled.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

This really is too bad. I'm generally all about Canon when it comes to these kinds of settings and games, but it's really easy to get attached to all the factions in EL and just to hear that they all canonly lose out to the vaulters (kinda boring) sucks.

Nobody really likes the Vaulters winning but I will say that admire their commitment to creating a beautiful place like Auriga and bringing it to a melancholic end in service of their story.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I was curious what to terraform a planet to because I had a system with all Temperate climates and I wanted to keep it that way. I found the chart below on this wiki page.

edit: direct link because it is huge so I [timg]'d it but now its tiny and wont blow up: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/endless-space-2/images/f/f9/ES2-terraforming2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170605181142

:psyduck:

I understand variety is the spice of life but drat I think they may be thinking too hard about it.

edit2: Am I seeing this right that Ocean and Atoll have higher FIDSI but lower happiness?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 26, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I figured that out pretty fast that terraforming is a hardly a one-two process, and I feel a good rule of thumb is just to use it once only in order to pull a shitacular planet into something more happiness-manageable.
Edit: Take that table with a grain of salt; the happiness values look off, like they're from a previous version. Ie with lava giving -8 per pop, how does it line up in the chart to be listed at -20?

So! I bought after the sale was done, and fired up my second game, Voydani, with zero pirate and the difficulty bumped up one notch. The AI is less utterly useless now, so that's promising! I have one issue tho: The main quest asks for me to occupy two major or minor homeworlds. Trouble is the Voydani don't occupy, they raze like EL cultists it seems and I can't get the ticket to acknowledge either an Arc deployed in a former Minor's spawn point, or a fleet occupying (razing/razed) a Major's Homeworld. Typical poorly described nonsense par for this series. Can someone spell it out for me like I'm a 5 year old?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 26, 2017

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I terraformed aggressively, but that was because I was playing UE and I wanted more pop for more influence, and you get more influence out of Terran teir planets.

The moment you realize that the description about the UE being an industrial and influence faction is a loving lie is the moment you can actually start playing them properly. The UE is an influence faction, period.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Klaus88 posted:

I terraformed aggressively, but that was because I was playing UE and I wanted more pop for more influence, and you get more influence out of Terran teir planets.

The moment you realize that the description about the UE being an industrial and influence faction is a loving lie is the moment you can actually start playing them properly. The UE is an influence faction, period.
As a new player I am not sure what you mean by them being Influence, period - could you elaborate a little?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
He probably means that their faction ability and population bonus do nothing but generate influence faster. There's nothing about them that makes them out-industry than the Vodyani or the Riftborn, so they have nothing to give them an edge in a race for a Wonder victory, which is usually a goal for a player focusing on industry.

That said, he's not entirely accurate in saying that their affinity for industry is a lie. More industry for them means more influence, so it can be beneficial to build any industry generating improvement to generate influence faster, while most other races would should be closely examining the output of every improvement versus its upkeep, to keep from tanking their economy (at least in the early game; late game, trading companies should be giving you all the income you need).

UE also has a political affinity for the Industrialist party, which is going to give them more industry synergies. So while industry is not part of their endgame, it's an important part of their early to midgame as long as you understand that it's a means to an end (that end being painting the entire galaxy in your empire's color).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As in the game advertises the UE as trying to push industry in order to get influence, which is backwards as in reality just pushing influence directly gets you better results faster. UE can rush-buy anything with influence, from buildings to techs, allowing them to shift a substantial part of their econ into purchase-based rather than production-based. Kinda like the Broken lords in EL, or stacking crazy mercantile discounts in Civ5.

It's a standard 4X trope that allows a faction to have the entirety of their empire put their 'production' into a bucket and have it focused on where it's needed, rather than a common problem of highly developed old world systems with nothing to buy while the new frontier struggles to get onto its feet.

Serephina posted:

I have one issue tho: The main quest asks for me to occupy two major or minor homeworlds. Trouble is the Voydani don't occupy, they raze like EL cultists it seems and I can't get the ticket to acknowledge either an Arc deployed in a former Minor's spawn point, or a fleet occupying (razing/razed) a Major's Homeworld. Typical poorly described nonsense par for this series. Can someone spell it out for me like I'm a 5 year old?
Now, seriously, my game is on hold until someone can help me with the Voydani quest. I've colonized two major home factions and the quest won't blink, and at this point it's just a supremacy victory which I don't want, I wanna see the drat storylines play out.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I did something dumb.

I started a game on endless as the unfallen with the only victory condition being score.

These turns are taking forever to calculate

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

My next question for the thread is:

I'm glad your question was answered, because that was bugging me too. It really really is Amplitude.txt, isn't it- two fascinating mechanics paired with genuinely interesting lore and a DELIBERATELY MISLEADING DESCRIPTION FOR NO REASONNNNN.

On that note, I'd love to be able to help you out, Vodyani Quest Dude, but I've never been able to get more than a few turns into Vod or Craver games because I like at least a pretense of being the Good Guys...

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Why is my colony mutinous with 100% approval?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Political dissonance?