Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

MrMoo have you tried using d3 with your graphing? I think it's pretty awesome from what I've seen.

Both Rickshaw and Plotly are built above d3.js in order to provide additional functionality such as time-series support. I'll probably get there eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

That name. :newlol:

Flavor Text
Jan 3, 2010

Why would you lick books, ew
Messing around with emulators

https://twitter.com/pickfifteen/status/925920411069665282

https://twitter.com/pickfifteen/status/926954685021421569

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I remember fantasizing about this when I was a kid, ie if only the money I got from one game transferred over to another. I'm not gonna lie seeing that was a bit magical.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
That’s awesome! Now I’m imagining some massive metagame where there’s fluctuating exchange rates between rupees/coins/pokédollars/whatever and your goal is to... maximize... something... ?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

pokeyman posted:

That’s awesome! Now I’m imagining some massive metagame where there’s fluctuating exchange rates between rupees/coins/pokédollars/whatever and your goal is to... maximize... something... ?

Speed (at beating all the games)

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Why limit yourself to money? AGDQ would be even more interesting if some speedruns or even audience donations changed resource levels or set/unset boolean values needed for game progress. Whoever's running Super Metroid goes to rescue the animals and they're already dead!

Flavor Text
Jan 3, 2010

Why would you lick books, ew
Twitch audiences being able to change the gameplay for a streamer while it's happening is basically my end-goal for these prototypes, yeah. Of course there's some modern games being made with that stuff in it, but I feel like no one cares about those and it's a lot more interesting when it's happening to a classic game a bunch of people grew up with.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Flavor Text posted:

Twitch audiences being able to change the gameplay for a streamer while it's happening is basically my end-goal for these prototypes, yeah. Of course there's some modern games being made with that stuff in it, but I feel like no one cares about those and it's a lot more interesting when it's happening to a classic game a bunch of people grew up with.

I would absolutely love to play with something like this if you open-source it or publish an API.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I believe there is an I Wanna Be The Guy fangame that uses twitch chat as input, so if you type emotes into the chat they become projectiles in the game that the streamer has to dodge.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

MrMoo posted:

Wheee...

Is this your doing, too?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Flavor Text posted:

This is very cool. You could have a thing where someone donates for one player over another in an AGDQ race to give them bonuses or detriments. Like, every 5 dollars to one incentive gives them a bomb, every 500 dollars donated to another incentive gives them a heart container or something.

Or even something that doesn't impact the game, like a donation mentioning one runner will increase their score or coin count in smw.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Switzerland posted:

Is this your doing, too?

Ha, looks like they don't have the previous close. All the major websites typically pull the data from a company that aggregates multiple exchange connections. This is what Thomson Reuters, Bloomberg, IDC, etc, all do. Those companies have direct connection to NYSE which provides the raw data. For something like this either the website itself is trying to be too smart and messed up or something failed in the middleman aggregator, i.e. lost state.

I get to enjoy similar issues and more because NYSE is not allowed to source data from itself directly, but because ICE owns NYSE and IDC I can source from IDC instead.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
it's suprisingly easy to make cool in-browser arty stuff in JavaScript

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
i had this idea for an RTS simulation type game thing bouncing around in my head for ages, and only recently i've started to properly flesh out the concept. it's based in the 18th-19th century during the fur trade era, so you start with a charter and have to build up your fort/factory, develop buildings, manage resources, defend against enemies, the usual kind of stuff. i made a mock-up of the UI in photoshop and was wondering what people though...

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

ExParrot posted:

i had this idea for an RTS simulation type game thing bouncing around in my head for ages, and only recently i've started to properly flesh out the concept. it's based in the 18th-19th century during the fur trade era, so you start with a charter and have to build up your fort/factory, develop buildings, manage resources, defend against enemies, the usual kind of stuff. i made a mock-up of the UI in photoshop and was wondering what people though...

Looks real cool & interesting. I think I would prefer the whole thing mirrored (chat and minimap on the left, unit details and info on the right) but it probably doesn't matter very much.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

ExParrot posted:

I have wanted a fur trading game set in the early american frontier forever. Basically I want to play through the opening scene of The Revenant.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Minimalist budgeting web app using Firebase for the backend.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Continuing my work on music synthesizers, I've got a fairly basic sample-based synthesizer working in VB .Net. As it is now, it currently supports definitions for all of the existing MIDI instruments, but so far I have only implemented basic square wave and timpani samples. Eventually I'm going to add the ability for the user to create their own patch (instrument) banks. I'm also going to have to handle various MIDI controller changes, such as reverb, chorus, etc.

Here's a video of what I've got it doing so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRgSfZo-BkA

Edit: Just noticed I misspelled "SYNTH" in some of the console messages, lmao

Neurion fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 23, 2017

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-dpR76bZ-g

I research compiler optimisations, so I don't usually have much opportunity to do anything with visual appeal. But I defended my PhD last week, and to show off a bit, I was rendering my slides in a program written in the programming language I had designed and implemented as part of my research. I didn't tell anyone that in advance, but did a reveal where I suddenly disintegrated a slide into free-floating pixels interacting through gravitational attraction (essentially turning the slide into a 2D N-body problem), computed in real-time on my laptop. It looked like this (I press a button to make the pixels return to their original position, restoring the original image). It was pretty flashy by the standards of a compiler researcher, and the assessment committee seemed amused

Athas fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 25, 2017

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Athas posted:

I did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-dpR76bZ-g

I research compiler optimisations, so I don't usually have much opportunity to do anything with visual appeal. But I defended my PhD last week, and to show off a bit, I was rendering my slides in a program written in the programming language I had designed and implemented as part of my research. I didn't tell anyone that in advance, but did a reveral where I suddenly disintegrated a slide into free-floating pixels interacting through gravitational attraction (essentially turning the slide into a 2D N-body problem), computed in real-time on my laptop. It looked like this (I press a button to make the pixels return to their original position, restoring the original image). It was pretty flashy by the standards of a compiler researcher, and the assessment committee seemed amused

This is super cool, but... (and this is a question I never thought I'd ask in a million years) - what is Sanic Hegehog doing in your Phd thesis?

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

This is super cool, but... (and this is a question I never thought I'd ask in a million years) - what is Sanic Hegehog doing in your Phd thesis?

I write about compiler optimisations. Gotta go fast.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Athas posted:

I write about compiler optimisations. Gotta go fast.

I get it but are there any normies on your phD review panel? I'm just trying to imagine that graphic from the perspective of like some fifty year old dude who doesn't know the meme.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

I get it but are there any normies on your phD review panel? I'm just trying to imagine that graphic from the perspective of like some fifty year old dude who doesn't know the meme.
Normies? In programming?

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Well, the defense is not for their sake - they already read my thesis, where I limited Sanic to a hedgehog on the cover page. And I find that computer scientists really don't mind jokes and silly pictures of vidya game characters, as long as the work is otherwise up to snuff.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

They may not get the exact reference, but odds are they're dudes who made Star Trek references to defend theirs back in the 80's.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah that was nerdy as heck in just the right way. That's the kind of guy I want writing my compilers.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Wanted to learn WebAssembly in better detail, so I hand-write a Brainfuck interpreter in WebAssembly's text format. Considering the number of infinite loops that their toolchain has on non-well-formed input, I don't think anybody has actually tried to do this.

https://github.com/magcius/bfasm/

Code over this way. There's also a hand-written asm.js version I wrote first and used for reference for the compiled version.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Neurion posted:

Continuing my work on music synthesizers, I've got a fairly basic sample-based synthesizer working in VB .Net. As it is now, it currently supports definitions for all of the existing MIDI instruments, but so far I have only implemented basic square wave and timpani samples. Eventually I'm going to add the ability for the user to create their own patch (instrument) banks. I'm also going to have to handle various MIDI controller changes, such as reverb, chorus, etc.

Here's a video of what I've got it doing so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRgSfZo-BkA

A friend and I once did a mod player in Pascal on a PC, and a little trick we did was added a surround sound option by taking the channel Left and Right mixed to mono then inverted the right channel...

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Neurion posted:

What songs are in the video? I hate hearing an interesting song and not knowing what it is :(

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

TheresaJayne posted:

A friend and I once did a mod player in Pascal on a PC, and a little trick we did was added a surround sound option by taking the channel Left and Right mixed to mono then inverted the right channel...
Which player was this?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Jewel posted:

What songs are in the video? I hate hearing an interesting song and not knowing what it is :(

I was lazy when I uploaded it and didn't include a description. I've fixed that now.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I need this now. Mint and YNAB are always way, way more than I need, but this looks pretty great.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Sagacity posted:

Which player was this?

Sorry for the delay, we didnt release it anywhere - this was prior to the internet being a thing,

His mum owned the local computer shop where i was buying my floppies from.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

TheresaJayne posted:

Sorry for the delay, we didnt release it anywhere - this was prior to the internet being a thing,

His mum owned the local computer shop where i was buying my floppies from.
Ok, no problem! I was just asking because a friend of mine worked on Inertia Player which was pretty popular back in the day.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Sagacity posted:

Ok, no problem! I was just asking because a friend of mine worked on Inertia Player which was pretty popular back in the day.

Well he had come up with a cracking fast algorithm that did FFT in like 2 ms (he was approached by BNFL to get it so they could multiplex multiple sensors through one cable and still have realtime monitoring of the reactor cores)

He did transpose from Dos into OS2 and Win 32 and made a library out of it in C++

he told me this about its name:

PowerMOD. An early OS/2 version is briefly mentioned here: http://www.os2ezine.com/v2n10/first.htm

Tony is really cool, having written the OS2 version of Mysql and worked for Mysql, Google, Blizzard, and currently Linked in

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/941944560195956736

:toot:

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Sign me up!

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Building OO psuedo-databases in PHP for a Uni project where we had to get classes and junk to interact with eachother.

I've built a food ordering system which assembles ingredient items from the pseudo-classes and outputs them. The user selects an item, counts the number of items they want, and then some stuff happens. JS handles the client side, calculating the amount of items, and the sum total of the items and displays them in the form fields using DOM selection, then the form values are passed into PHP, calculated, and returned to the user in a similar fashion.

It's probably pretty baby tier stuff for advanced guys and I know PHP isn't hot poo poo anymore and a lot of people hate it but we're being taught it at Uni as it's generally a very good starter language with clear syntax and processes and all of the principles of OO can be applied in PHP, so it can't be that bad.

P.S. I love VSCode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
VSCode is great. PHP is less so, but honestly, the first language you learn doesn't really matter. I learned to code in MATLAB.