Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Palpek posted:

The usual kid incomaptibility story but the kicker is in the comments:

Feel like I [31F] am running out of biological clock, bf [24m] 1 yr doesn't want kids, but we can't bear to break up, need advice on if I should end it.

The problem clearly is my need to have children, let me therapy my way out of it :shepface:

Translation: early 20's dude getting it wet with a hot coworker until he realizes she wants to have a grown-up relationship, and he's trying to keep the gravy train going as long as he can before he bails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Oh these crazy teenager problems!

I'm [24F] considering breaking up with my bf [29M] of seven months over his video game usage.

quote:

I'm currently celebrating thanksgiving at his family's home. He has been in the room watching Netflix/playing games while I visit with his family. He came out for dinner then went back to the room to play.

Meanwhile I'm here bored out of my mind. We are long distance so I only get to see him on the holidays/weekends. I've talked to him about this several times about being more present in our relationship and interacting with me outside of watching movies/having sex/eating together.

I know it's not his job to entertain me but I just feel so lonely and it's effecting my self esteem where I feel like "Well maybe if I was more -this- he'd show more interest."
I don't get it? This morning in bed he was talking about how we were going to get married and have kids but I just feel like an accessory half the time.

Am I crazy for considering breaking it off or is there another approach I should take?? I don't want to lose him but he's not meeting my needs.

TL;DR; Feeling neglected with boyfriend always attached to a screen. Need some advice and words of wisdom.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Doggles posted:

I'm [24F] considering breaking up with my bf [29M] of seven months over his video game usage.

Put on your best shoes to kick his useless rear end into the stratosphere.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Doggles posted:

long distance + video games = World of warcraft relationship

let me tell you that's going to be one orc-ward breakup

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

abigserve posted:

long distance + video games = World of warcraft relationship

This bit is dwarfed by the fact that his own family doesn’t seem to mind hanging out with his girlfriend while he spends the holiday sequestered in his room. My parents would’ve tauren to me for that. Something something goblin turkey.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

abigserve posted:

lemon-lyme disease posted:

This bit is dwarfed by the fact

stopit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This does get really draeneing on my patience.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is that trolling really draeneing you and you'll have gnome ore of it?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
blood elf

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Is it really that weird dad wants bf to sleep in the guest room? That legit seems like the best compromise for someone literally too young to consent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ArbitraryC posted:

Is it really that weird dad wants bf to sleep in the guest room? That legit seems like the best compromise for someone literally too young to consent.

If she can't consent then the family has a much bigger problem then which room the BF sleeps in.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

ArbitraryC posted:

No, it’s not weird. I covered this, somewhere in there, just not from the consent angle.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

We read some pre-Thanksgiving dramas so now it's time for post-Thanksgiving ones:

At thanksgiving, my girlfriend (28F) made a scene in front of my family suddenly claiming that I cheated on her with my cousin. She then stormed out. I have proof it didn't happen, but I am so unbelievably frustrated with her over this that I am not even sure what to do.

quote:

Girlfriend was acting weird leading up to thanksgiving. We went, it was me, my sister, my 2 friends, and my dad and my two grandparents.

Girlfriend suddenly stood up and said she had an announcement. She was drunk, like really drunk. She said that while she was away, my cousin came over and we had sex, and she knew because she found my cousins panties and bra on the floor, and she also knew because our neighbor apparently told her she saw my cousin go in after my girlfriend went to work.

Needless to say, my heart basically stopped. I right away took her away and kept asking her what the gently caress is wrong with her, and she just stormed out, drunk, and drove home while drunk.

I didn't even know what to say to my family, I was so loving weirded out by this.

Heres the thing, my cousin did come over. She did her laundry here. I have texts from those days back and forth from her about this. I just told my family that she was confused, and that that didn't happen, but they were definitely weirded out. My dad backed me though because he was the one who told my cousin to go to ask me to use my laundry machine, so they know I didn't actually sleep with her lol.

So uhh. What the gently caress do I do. My GF got home safely apparently. She is too drunk to talk she says.

What the flying gently caress just happened? I cant even comprehend this right now. Our relationship was going so well, literally 3 years now.

I suspect she wanted to bring it up, but she got drunk and kept thinking about it and drunkingly came to the conclusion to be as dramatic as possible about it at the worst time. She doesnt really drink much because she gets like this when she drinks.

tl;dr: Girlfriend got up and announced that I am cheating on her with my cousin, of all people. I have evidence that I did not, but she yelled it out during thanksgiving.

quote:

"I KNO YoU hosed YOUR OWN COUSSSSINNNN!?!?!?!? GIV ME MAH FACKING KEYS A FAMILY OF FOUR IS GOING TO loving DIE IN A HEAD ON COLLISION!!!!!!!!"

Seriously this is going to be the funniest story of all time once he gets over this girl.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 24, 2017

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Just loving lol at the idea that he has to have evidence as if anybody was going to believe this crazy drunk woman

"our relationship was going so well"

"she gets like this when she drinks"

:thunk:

Girlfriend is an alcoholic with a history of ridiculously insane behavior and homeboy has been making excuses for three years

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 24, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

loving hell

My [19F] uncle [54M] keeps talking about 'drug addicts' at the table. Both my parents died of overdoses, and my grandmother [68F] who lost my dad to them, is mad at me for excusing myself.

quote:

Both my parents died of drug addiction and it still really, really hurts to hear about. My mom did last November and I'm having a terrible time dealing with it, I excused myself without saying anything and my grandparents (who lost their son and his partner (my mom) to drugs as well ) are bothered by ME LEAVING. My uncle keeps talking about drug addicts and drug addiction in a very negative way. Am I being sensitive or what??? I hate hearing about this sort of thing, especially on a "family" day. What the hell do I even do?

tl;dr: My uncle keeps talking about something very sensitive to me and making it hard to even enjoy the holidays with family. I don't know if I'm being over the top or not for getting up and leaving. Have no idea whether to go back or what to do.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Palpek posted:

loving hell

My [19F] uncle [54M] keeps talking about 'drug addicts' at the table. Both my parents died of overdoses, and my grandmother [68F] who lost my dad to them, is mad at me for excusing myself.

So the grandmother was 14 when she had the uncle?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

One of the hottest takes in the thread.

Just because you didn't get laid in Highschool doesn't mean it's not something people should do fam.

If not wanting to sponsor sexual liason for children makes me a prude, then so be it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Beachcomber posted:

Sometimes people have more than one grandmother, Sherlock.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

Totally possible. When I was in school, I remember there being a girl who was 13 getting pregnant. If that was in fact correct, it's likely that abortion wasn't even legal at that point depending on where she lived. I'd be surprised if it was even socially acceptable even if legal, see: now.

Extremely hyperbolic, but I'm gonna wager that ole granny here is probably weirdly conservative despite getting knocked up and popping out a kid in her early teens, and believes in "tough love" or some such nonsense. She probably also blames the kid's mom for the death of her son, and prob doesn't think he deserves to feel any grief over her death.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

blarzgh posted:

If not wanting to sponsor sexual liason for children makes me a prude, then so be it.

Nobody is suggesting sponsoring anything but my parents gave me a box of condoms, explained how they work and how important it is to always use one, and taught me about consent, i'm pretty sure if I'd been caught loving my girlfriend on the kitchen table I'd have been in some poo poo but we were discreet and they were okay with discreet. The best policy.

Lone Goat posted:

Sometimes people have more than one grandmother, Sherlock.

What's the likelihood dad's mom and mom's brother (or the other way around) were at the same thanksgiving dinner though?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Also possible she transposed the numbers and granny is 86. Either way, whatever the age, that's a lovely thing to get mad at someone for leaving the table over. I'm guessing it might be a toxic combination of 'but Thanksgiving is about faaaaaaaaamily!' mixed with the viewpoint that if you're an addict 'you're weak/deserve what you get/etc.'

Lots of people seem to feel almost forced to make everyone play nice/put up the veneer of their happy close family at the holidays, and if someone points out a family member's a toxic or antagonistic shithead they're the bad guy for cracking that veneer.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Palpek posted:

loving hell

I don't think you can expect folks that lost family members to drug addiction to talk about drug addiction in a positive way, and I don't think you can expect them to never mention those people dying ever again, so...

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That's why I'm going back home before my mother comes down. I'm currently at my grandmother's place and we had a wonderful time.

My mom doesn't know how to respect my boundaries and any attempt to get her to acknowledge that anything she does might make me uncomfortable just ends with her mocking me or acting hurt, like I'm the goddamn villain if I don't want her holding up a $200 bag in front of her friends and dropping extremely unsubtle hints that I should buy it for her five days after I lost my job.

I would go no contact but it would just create more drama.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The sense I got from that wasn't saying bad things about addiction but bad things about addicts which is very different for reasons that should be obvious

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

More likely to be a different relative's husband.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Toxic family members will never change. If you can't have a relationship with them on your terms, cut them out of your life completely.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Also my mom tried to kick me out the day I graduated. I may never be able to forgive her for all the poo poo she's put me through, but now that I have my own place I don't have to give a poo poo what she thinks.

The worst part is that I know she thinks that the way she acts is totally harmless and normal, and she is never going to understand how much pain she has caused me over the past few years. I don't care at this point.

It sounds callous, but no matter how much someone does for you, if keeping them in your life is bad for your mental health, sometimes you have to just let go. Even if they are your parents.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Also my mom tried to kick me out the day I graduated. I may never be able to forgive her for all the poo poo she's put me through, but now that I have my own place I don't have to give a poo poo what she thinks.

The worst part is that I know she thinks that the way she acts is totally harmless and normal, and she is never going to understand how much pain she has caused me over the past few years. I don't care at this point.

It sounds callous, but no matter how much someone does for you, if keeping them in your life is bad for your mental health, sometimes you have to just let go. Even if they are your parents.
It's not callous, it's self-preservation. If you had someone in your life who punched you in the mouth every time you were in the same room, no one would even blink at the idea of cutting them and anyone adjacent to them out of your life. Abuse is abuse is abuse, no matter what form it takes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Dienes posted:

I don't think you can expect folks that lost family members to drug addiction to talk about drug addiction in a positive way, and I don't think you can expect them to never mention those people dying ever again, so...
No but you can let a person who lost both parents to be extremely sensitive to the subject as she's still a very young woman dealing with grief and not berate her as if she's disrespecting somebody when all she does is leave the table because she can't handle the subject yet.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Just loving lol at the idea that he has to have evidence as if anybody was going to believe this crazy drunk woman

"our relationship was going so well"

"she gets like this when she drinks"

:thunk:

Girlfriend is an alcoholic with a history of ridiculously insane behavior and homeboy has been making excuses for three years

One of the universal truths in the world that is constantly ignored for reasons I often do not understand is when a person is drunk, especially just trashed, that is who the person really is. Family, friends, partner, acquaintance, the personality that you see when they are drunk is what is simmering under the surface all the time. rear end in a top hat, loon, abusive, manipulative, racist, whatever. Sure, some people can hide it really well, maybe for years but it is eventually going to creep into whatever relationship you have with that person and if you can't handle it you need to run for the hills.

On the plus side it works the other way too, a good number of people, I would wager to say most just turn out to be happy people that want to have fun, avoid conflict and sensitive to others feelings even when they are completely shitfaced, those are good people, keep them around.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah if someone is a "mean drunk" and gets nasty and violent and crazy that's just how they really feel coming to the surface. It means there's a nasty violent jealous hosed up person in there.
A lot of my friends love to get extremely drunk, they just become more silly and huggy and will be more sentimental because they're actually nice people with their poo poo together.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm really nice to everyone except Republicans and Cowboys fans when I drink so this checks out

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I had a friend who was dating a dude with "mild" jealousy issues when sober but would fly into an accusatory abusive rage every time he drank, which was like every night. "It's not him, he's drunk, it's not his fault... he's only like that when he's drunk, he's not actually that bad..." excuses were made for like a year before she finally dumped his rear end :(

Abusive relationships are so obvious from the outside but often so hard for the victims to admit to and leave. But how a person acts when they're drunk is a huge red flag and sneak peak into a person's inner demons.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Three Olives posted:

One of the universal truths in the world that is constantly ignored for reasons I often do not understand is when a person is drunk, especially just trashed, that is who the person really is. Family, friends, partner, acquaintance, the personality that you see when they are drunk is what is simmering under the surface all the time. rear end in a top hat, loon, abusive, manipulative, racist, whatever. Sure, some people can hide it really well, maybe for years but it is eventually going to creep into whatever relationship you have with that person and if you can't handle it you need to run for the hills.

On the plus side it works the other way too, a good number of people, I would wager to say most just turn out to be happy people that want to have fun, avoid conflict and sensitive to others feelings even when they are completely shitfaced, those are good people, keep them around.

I mean getting extremely drunk is just in general Not Good but yeah don't associate with people who turn into shitlords when they drink.

If someone is a racist poo poo when they drink, guess what, they are always racist. Ethanol doesn't put those thoughts in their head, it just impairs the part of their brain that goes "whoa, pump the brakes, maybe now is not the time for a ten-minute diatribe about international Jewish conspiracies".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I used to get blackout drunk on a weekly basis and I've never been in a fight. In fact most of the people I hang out with wouldn't start a fight unless they were forced into it. But I know a guy who gets drunk and picks fights on a regular basis, like 'I'm so angry I'm going to punch you in the face because you won't accept that I'm the authority on some extremely common knowledge', or 'I'm going to some guys house, kick in his front door and beat the living poo poo out of him because he hosed my ex', or beating his girl up, or drink driving and losing his license to save a few blocks walk.

Somehow people keep passing it off as if he's not that bad, he just gets drunk sometimes. Maybe he's an abusive shitheel who can't hold his booze? It's a mystery.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The ancient Romans believed 'In wine, there is truth', that drunk men are the most honest.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
I find that drinking just exaggerates the feelings you have going into it.

If you are drinking with friends because it is friday night fun time, its gonna be a good happy drunk. If you are drinking at thanksgiving while angry at your boyfriend for cheating on you, it is going to be an unhappy drunk (even if you are dead wrong about the facts).

That woman sounds like someone who drinks when she is feeling angry or sad and thats no fun to be around. Deal with your sadness while sober and drink only when it is time for fun.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Inescapable Duck posted:

The ancient Romans believed 'In wine, there is truth', that drunk men are the most honest.

Sorta, but it also exaggerates and changes feelings. Alcoholism is associated with an irrational sense of persecution. Thats not just your inner self coming out, thats the alcohol affecting how you process feelings and events. Alcoholics are going to think and feel things that a sober person would reject. That doesn’t mean thats what they “actually” feel, it means that they aren’t able to rationally process feelings and emotions when they’re drunk.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Sorta, but it also exaggerates and changes feelings. Alcoholism is associated with an irrational sense of persecution. Thats not just your inner self coming out, thats the alcohol affecting how you process feelings and events. Alcoholics are going to think and feel things that a sober person would reject. That doesn’t mean thats what they “actually” feel, it means that they aren’t able to rationally process feelings and emotions when they’re drunk.

My former fiancée was absolutely convinced at the time of my dumping that I was cheating on her with my best friend.

When I got drunk, the only thing I did was ramble about how much I loved my fiancée (including to said best friend). You’d think that would have been a sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Don't date people who can't handle you having friends of the opposite sex.

Does this kind of poo poo happen in gay relationships? Are there control-freak gay men who don't want their partners to be friends with other men? Or lesbians who are paranoid about female friends? Somehow that seems implausible but I'll admit that gay relationships are outside of my realm of experience.