Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

When do you guys think we sort of see what the teams really are? I try and tell everyone you basically don't know anything about a team until week 8 or so. It feels like that's when they really figure out the best strategies for their personnel or they really start imploding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Man I knew Dak wasn't as good as last year looked but holy poo poo did I not anticipate this.

Pretty much nobody except for Demarcus Lawrence looks to have improved or held status quo in the past year. Dez Bryant is an absolute joke, and he's still our best receiver.

I appreciate that yesterday had just about every lovely thing about the Cowboys make an appearance. Sun shining in eyes, lack of defensive competence, underperforming offensive talent and trash rear end QB play with the rare wide open receiver. Oh and a big speech from the owner at half time, cause that makes sense.

Dak hid his sophomore slump for five games.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm having a lot of fun knowing the Redskins are better than the Cowboys and that the Eli's are finally where my heart always wished they'd be - the short win bus.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Well Kirk Cousins is better than Dak so your QB is better too until he leaves next year

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

X-posting

John Brown posted:

Anyone who didn’t see Dak’s slump coming is clueless. There were obvious signs last year as he’d often hold onto the ball entirely too long out of fear of his own inaccuracy.

We see now that he can’t throw guys open or handle pressure (including an inability to scramble and make plays), Dez can’t get separation in his own, Terrance is still an annoying body-catcher who makes a living in broken plays, and Witten has become a short yardage statue at this point.

In the offseason, I really badly wanted Dallas to take one of the many young stud TEs (some of which iirc were available as late as the 3rd) as both a safety valve for Dak, as well as a weapon to create YAC opportunities for Dez, Williams and Beasley in the middle of the field.

Instead we took flyers on a developmental DE, some forgettable DBs, and a Beasley 2.0 who’s done nothing. Alternatively, we could’ve taken a top flight DB followed by a Witten replacement in the 2nd or 3rd. I could literally do a better job at drafting than the entire Dallas FO.

Edit: I think Dez would be fine if he played with an elite QB who could throw him open, because he still has the athleticism to make great adjustments on the ball. He’ll be toast in a 3 year’s though because he never learned how to run routes.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 24, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
My take is that the Redskins seem like they actually have some hope for the future and are in a much better spot now than a few years ago. The Cowboys are a broken team with a boring Jon Arbuckle rear end coach in a poo poo organization that I expect to get worse before it gets better. The Giants are dead men walking and Eli is done but the organization hasn’t prepped for his replacement or any sort of future at all.

e: if Romo hadn’t retired he could probably be starting for at least a dozen teams right now but Dallas squandered him and he seems happy to have gotten out when he did

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 24, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The Redskins have a great coach and a hopeless owner. Jay is gonna get fired in some stupid loving power struggle with the idiot owner who drove off their premium drafter and killed any chances of retaining their franchise QB.

The Redskins are hosed.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Cousins definitely walks. I just wonder where he ends up. Im thinking Denver. But there are a bunch of teams who could use him. Dude is gonna get paid.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Cousins definitely walks. I just wonder where he ends up. Im thinking Denver. But there are a bunch of teams who could use him. Dude is gonna get paid.

Arizona should pull out all the stops for him.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I want Kirk Cousins out of my life. I don't care if he takes $10 mil of cap space with him I can't take debates over mediocre QBs its the loving worst.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The Redskins have a great coach

Gruden knows offense but the dude has more brain farts than you'd like to see and can't put together a defensive staff. 'Great' is pushing it.

Cash Monet fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 24, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kirk Cousins is not a mediocre QB, unless you're on a heavy diet of sports radio

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cash Monet posted:

I want Kirk Cousins out of my life. I don't care if he takes $10 mil of cap space with him I can't take debates over mediocre QBs its the loving worst.

Gruden knows offense but the dude has more brain farts than you'd like to see and can't put together a defensive staff. 'Great' is pushing it.

What an idiot

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.

John Brown posted:

X-posting

Edit: I think Dez would be fine if he played with an elite QB who could throw him open, because he still has the athleticism to make great adjustments on the ball. He’ll be toast in a 3 year’s though because he never learned how to run routes.

Sure, he doesn't run the full route tree, but he runs maybe the best dig route in the NFL. Cowboys send him on too many go routes, and Dak doesn't throw go routes well.

Here is a great video on 2017 Dez: https://youtu.be/25mQ4eCtw0U

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Bluesquares is a Cowboys fan and Im an Eagles fan. We are both praying Cousins gets shipped off to the AFC, if that tells you anything

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Shinjobi posted:

Pretty much nobody except for Demarcus Lawrence looks to have improved or held status quo in the past year. Dez Bryant is an absolute joke, and he's still our best receiver.

I appreciate that yesterday had just about every lovely thing about the Cowboys make an appearance. Sun shining in eyes, lack of defensive competence, underperforming offensive talent and trash rear end QB play with the rare wide open receiver. Oh and a big speech from the owner at half time, cause that makes sense.

Dak hid his sophomore slump for five games.

Dak's still fine; he had a bad trio of games as his supporting cast disappeared but I wouldn't put more weight on the last 3 games than I would the prior 22. I think he's still more than capable of being a very good franchise QB. He's clearly not a guy you can ask to put the team on his shoulders at this point in his career, but nothing about his 2017 season is strikingly different from one of Romo's futile 8-8 seasons where he was asked to do too much with a defense that couldn't stop a nosebleed and an offense headlined by Miles Austin and Roy E Williams. The only major difference is that Witten is significantly older.

I think the WR corps doesn't get enough blame, though. The biggest problem the offense faces without Zeke (ignoring the Offensive line injuries for a moment) is that the offense isn't explosive at all when Zeke isn't on the field--the only big plays happen if Dak makes them with his feet. I think this is mostly the fault of our receivers. In that sense, I agree with you--Dez Bryant is not a true #1 receiver and he hasn't been since his injury a few years ago. He no longer gets separation and loses on contested balls too often, while Terrance Williams is the world's least clutch receiver and defenses have figured this out and spent the season taking Cole Beasley out of the game because they know that Dez and TWIll won't punish them for it.

NFL.com has been putting out some cool advanced stats that show separation and the like and you can see how Dez is in the bottom third of receivers now when it comes to average separation on catches, cushion given at the snap, and catch rate. Terrance Williams is actually a much more relevant threat right now, but he also makes a number of boneheaded moves every game that hurt the team as much as any of his receptions help. See also: That OPI yesterday that ended a scoring drive.
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-separation

And if the stats weren't enough to tell you that "Dez sucks and is vastly overpaid," there's a simple tell in my opinion--Dez Bryant's most memorable plays are a string of catches he didn't make in big games at crucial moments. This really needs to be his last year on the team.

Tom Sellout posted:

Sure, he doesn't run the full route tree, but he runs maybe the best dig route in the NFL. Cowboys send him on too many go routes, and Dak doesn't throw go routes well.

e: This is an interesting analysis I hadn't considered, and it softens my views on Dez quite a bit. But it definitely makes the coaching staff look much worse.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 24, 2017

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Tom Sellout posted:

Great vid.

As it points out, I too have been disappointed in the lack of motion, bunch, and slot usage with a Dez. With him being as great as he is with YAC, we could easily put Butler and Williams in the outside to let him make some plays in the middle.

Dak looks bad on that film though :ohdear:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I haven't given up on Dak at all. He's still young, and while these past three games have been awful I would agree that this is the least impressive receiving core we've had in quite some time.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Cash Monet posted:

whyskinsfansarethedumbest.txt

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Kirk is better than:

Eli Manning
Tyrod Taylor
Josh McKown
Ryan Tannehill
Jay Cutler
DeShone Kizer
Derek Carr
Marcus Mariota
CJ Beathard
Mitch Trubisky
Jacoby Brissett
Joe Flacco
Carson Palmer
Blake Bortles
Paxton Lynch
Case Keenum
Andy Dalton
2017 Phil Rivers
Jameis Winston
Tom Savage

The arguments start with Newton, Stafford, Prescott, and Smith.

That leaves
Carson Wentz
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Ben Rothlisburger
Jared Goff
Matt Ryan
Russell Wilson

in a league where a team’s success is largely dependent on QB play. And people still want him gone.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I saw it noted in an all-22 analysis that despite having Ronald Darby available, the Eagles didn't feel the need to have him cover Dez. They just covered him with whoever he lined up in front of, whether he was outside or in the slot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yodzilla posted:

My take is that the Redskins seem like they actually have some hope for the future and are in a much better spot now than a few years ago. The Cowboys are a broken team with a boring Jon Arbuckle rear end coach in a poo poo organization that I expect to get worse before it gets better. The Giants are dead men walking and Eli is done but the organization hasn’t prepped for his replacement or any sort of future at all.

e: if Romo hadn’t retired he could probably be starting for at least a dozen teams right now but Dallas squandered him and he seems happy to have gotten out when he did

The Redskins don't have hope, they have a brief moment of positivity overshadowed by the impending doom of the off-season.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cash Monet posted:

So your solution to avoid a debate over lovely QBs is to run off our only undisputed starter in favor of playing the lottery on more lovely QBs.

Cousins is, at worst, an average QB. Meaning he's better than half the starting quarterbacks in the NFL. In my opinion he's top 10, and the first bona fide starter Washington has had in years. He deserves to get paid, a lot, and he will. If not by this team then somewhere else.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Someone mentioned Denver, my GF would be thrilled to have him there so that would be win win for me. They get better, the Skins drop back into the pit.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

2017 Case Keenum is better than Kirk

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

My take is that the Redskins seem like they actually have some hope for the future and are in a much better spot now than a few years ago.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So your solution to avoid a debate over lovely QBs is to run off our only undisputed starter in favor of playing the lottery on more lovely QBs.

Cousins is, at worst, an average QB. Meaning he's better than half the starting quarterbacks in the NFL. In my opinion he's top 10, and the first bona fide starter Washington has had in years. He deserves to get paid, a lot, and he will. If not by this team then somewhere else.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The Redskins have a great coach and a hopeless owner. Jay is gonna get fired in some stupid loving power struggle with the idiot owner who drove off their premium drafter and killed any chances of retaining their franchise QB.

The Redskins are hosed.

These last two are the correct takes.

I'm not quite sure if I can call the Skins ownership the absolute worst in the NFL considering the Niners managed to blow up a team loaded with young talent that looked set to dominate the NFC for a decade with startling abruptness. But they are easily second.

I've followed the team since the seventies. The only QB that I can recall being a legit multiyear starter who could anchor and lead the team was Joe Theisman. The fact that the team was able to win Super Bowls with various journeyman and fill in type QBs was a testament to Gibbs and the way you could stack talent on an O line and on a team in general in that era.

In recent years I've watched them go after big money deal after ridiculous deal for washed up stars like Deion Sanders and Bruce Smith, chase Fat Albert with a ridiculous contract, while the team had a washed up Mark Brunnell, Jason Campbell, Sexy Rexy etc. at QB.

At the time of the RG3 deal I actually thought it was a necessary move, simply because of the position the team had put itself in with all these other deals over the years. The fact that RG3 got hurt and it didn't work out doesn't bother me, it still seemed like a necessary move.

But then to have a legit, above average to top 10 QB fall into their lap as a low draft pick through sheer dumb rear end luck, a guy who is not only young and uninjured but has proven over a few seasons now that he can make the throws, lead the team on drives and win games, and then to choose THIS time to get all hard ball on money and let the guy drift away, defies any reasoning.

I don't know what about the last 20 years or so makes the Skins management think they can predict QB talent from the college ranks, hell they have their own experience drafting Heath Shuler as a high pick and never playing the guy.

If they let Cousins walk, as it appears they have every intention of doing, I don't know why they should expect to retain a fan base.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

2017 Case Keenum is better than Kirk

By what metric

He has fewer yards, TDs, completion pct, yards per pass, attempts, and is sacked far less because his line is much better. Thielen and Diggs are also a lot better than Washington WRs. He’s on a better team. He’s not a better QB.

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 24, 2017

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Zwabu posted:

But then to have a legit, above average to top 10 QB fall into their lap as a low draft pick through sheer dumb rear end luck, a guy who is not only young and uninjured but has proven over a few seasons now that he can make the throws, lead the team on drives and win games, and then to choose THIS time to get all hard ball on money and let the guy drift away, defies any reasoning.

If you're going to contend with the average/above average QB you do it when they're cheap. Ravens got talent around Flacco when he was on his rookie deal, he got them a super bowl. They pay him, he handcuffs their cap, the margin for error for drafting and free agent signing shrinks, and they are what they are now.

Re-signing Cousins makes sense, its prudent, and it's probably whats best for business. I'd rather a team tried to do better than end up like the Bengals.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
So I guess the NFC East is pretty much the AFC East now*

*The Eagles are the Patriots in this analogy

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I dunno I want hot brain over here to go over superbowl teams and what their contracts were from the last 10 years.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Kirk Cousins sucks actually and I along with the Eagles' secondary hope he stays on the Redskins for another five years

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The funny option is Kirk Cousins going to either the Giants or Cowboys

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I wouldn't mind Cousins coming to back up Wentz if we can't land Tyrod Taylor

QBs I'd take over Cousins without even a moment's hesitation: Brady, Brees, Ryan, Wilson, Wentz, Ben, Rivers, Carr, Goff, Prescott, and Stafford. Probably Alex Smith and Mariota too. also Rogers and probably Deshaun Watson, but I left them off because they're on IR.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

indigi posted:

I wouldn't mind Cousins coming to back up Wentz if we can't land Tyrod Taylor

QBs I'd take over Cousins without even a moment's hesitation: Brady, Brees, Ryan, Wilson, Wentz, Ben, Rivers, Carr, Goff, Prescott, and Stafford. Probably Alex Smith and Mariota too. also Rogers and probably Deshaun Watson, but I left them off because they're on IR.

I too wouldn't mind a top 10-15 QB as a backup. Why don't more teams think of this

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Kirk is going to Jaxonville

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

I thought the general consensus was that Cousins is better than Prescott now?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Diqnol posted:

By what metric

TD celebrations

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

NotWearingPants posted:

Dak deserves some time to see if this is just a bad stretch he can pull out of, his support this year has fallen off bad. O-line worse and injured, Zeke suspended, Witten old, Beasley & Dez fallen off and the other WRs suck. Defense also even worse than last year putting even more pressure on him.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

NotWearingPants posted:

Consensus? In the football thread?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

89 posted:

Oct. 1
The Cowboys have a very real chance of going 7-9.

Just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Personally I'm hoping the cowboys go 5-11. Still wouldn't stop the mushbrains in Dallas from saying they'll win the super bowl next year. Nothing will ever stop that.

• Locked thread