Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I've been running AST up which has meant many visits to Qarm, and it seems like there's something there that breeds stupid.

Highlights include:
"Oh, was I supposed to have Defiance up?"
"Oh, I was supposed to LB the guy AFTER the soulstone was down!"

Thank God that the game conditions people to not stand in lasers. Mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thundarr posted:

88 runs later, I finally have a Zurvan bird. Boy am I loving glad every other primal mount I've gone after has shown up for me in 20 runs or less.

Final tally: 16 bird drops seen, 1 party that *actually saw Soar*, 0 ninja weapons dropped

I believe my static cleared that fight 82-83 times just to get our 8th bird.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I cleared Rabanastre for the second time last night. I was doing pretty well, too, managing to clear everything up to Boss #3 before I started dying. :dance:

I barely remembered anything past Hashmal seeing as most of the parties I went with disbanded on him.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I cleared Rabanastre for the second time last night. I was doing pretty well, too, managing to clear everything up to Boss #3 before I started dying. :dance:

I barely remembered anything past Hashmal seeing as most of the parties I went with disbanded on him.

If you can get past Hashmal, you're basically in the clear. I've only done Rabanastre three times, I think, since my PC chugs like a bastard every time I do it. I can handle full team Shatter and PvP and all that stuff, but I guess just the pure concentration of particle effects from endless attacks means I can't quite handle a 24-man raid.

The first time I did it, I thought Hashmal was invisible, because his model refused to load.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But did you bow to his infallible judgment?

Every single time. Emperor Palpatine wishes he could chew scenery that hard.

re Rabanastre: I still don't get how so many people are still so bad at Hashmal. Sure there are several things that can one shot you, but they have such gigantic obvious tells.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 26, 2017

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

In my limited experience, too many DPS die before sand spheres and they can't be killed fast enough before they wipe everybody but one Paladin who tries to solo the boss for 5 minutes instead of just dying so we can start over.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Thundarr posted:

I still don't get how so many people are still so bad at Hashmal. Sure there are several things that can one shot you, but they have such gigantic obvious tells.

This is how I feel. I have more trouble with the first boss, everything after that is braindead easy.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hommando posted:

This is how I feel. I have more trouble with the first boss, everything after that is braindead easy.

I'd rather the difficulty be frontloaded instead of Weeping City where the first inkling you might have that the run won't go so well will be during Forgall but you won't know for sure til Ozma.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'd rather the difficulty be frontloaded instead of Weeping City where the first inkling you might have that the run won't go so well will be during Forgall but you won't know for sure til Ozma.

My first Weeping City run was odd - Forgall whipped our asses, and we only barely scraped by without a wipe, but everything after him went relatively smoothly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any tips on solo levelling while I’m waiting for queues? Levequests are the obvious answer, but they run out eventually, IIRC.

Also, I was thinking of switching from Summoner to Machinist for my main job, because Final Fantasy’s magitek has always been one of my favourite parts of the franchise, and I hear that MCHs aren’t crap anymore. Is this a huge mistake?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
90% of my deaths on Hashmal come from people dragging the big red AOEs right on top of me. Other than that, it's really not hard to survive unless the sandspheres start blowing up because no one else is surviving.

Rofocale can get hosed though, I think every single Rabanastre party I've been in has wiped to him at least once. Usually he decides to turn while in the middle of casting Trample and squishes 2/3 of the healers, and everything either goes to hell immediately or at the DPS check. I just sit out of Trample's range and eat the occasional Cry at this point, I've had him turn 90 degrees half a second before oneshotting me too many times.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

Any tips on solo levelling while I’m waiting for queues? Levequests are the obvious answer, but they run out eventually, IIRC.

What level? Past 41 or so, you can do beast tribe quests while waiting on queues. If you're into Heavensward, there are also Centurio hunt logs that are worth around one sidequest's worth of XP each and replenish daily with 5 to 15 hunts available depending on your level and your ability to kill things (solo hunts in Azys Lla may be a bit much for a freshly level 50 job even if you have everything else unlocked).

There's always FATEs too, and those never run out (just get tedious and boring as hell).

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 26, 2017

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, I was thinking of switching from Summoner to Machinist for my main job, because Final Fantasy’s magitek has always been one of my favourite parts of the franchise, and I hear that MCHs aren’t crap anymore. Is this a huge mistake?

If it's your very first job, don't sweat it. Main story quest alone will mostly keep you up to date. Throwing in leveling roulette (and alliance raid roulette at 50+) will definitely do the trick. Alternatively if side quests are more your thing, do those.

If it's any job you're leveling later, the best option for being time-efficient is to not rush it. Granted, there's the queue wait for leveling roulette if you're playing DPS, but at 50+ you can do daily clan hunt targets and beast tribe dailies while waiting, and below 50 you can throw your squadron at poo poo instead of doing leveling roulette in the first place.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vil posted:

If it's any job you're leveling later, the best option for being time-efficient is to not rush it. Granted, there's the queue wait for leveling roulette if you're playing DPS, but at 50+ you can do daily clan hunt targets and beast tribe dailies while waiting, and below 50 you can throw your squadron at poo poo instead of doing leveling roulette in the first place.

This is really solid advice as well. I've been leveling up my remaining jobs solely on daily roulettes, beast tribes, and hunt/challenge logs. I don't get to have everything at level 70 *right now* but I do get to retain my sanity, and daily roulette bonuses are still enormous boosts, alliance roulette in particular.

I also completely forgot about squadron command missions, so if you have that ranked up you can speed run your lower level side jobs up crazy fast with those.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I lagged hard in the last time I was in Rab. Just for the first boss. Hashmal isn't actually too bad. The biggest issue I have there is being so happy to have a boss that'll sit there and let me do my Trick Attack and poo poo that I might ignore a tower. My last Rabnastre had a healer bring in his anima weapon though, so I probably won't go back for some time.

Weeping City and Dun Scaith were both pretty awful for me in the first like 5 runs each, so I hate getting those for alliance roulette. Forgall wiped us a bunch. Then Ozma a bunch. Ozma for no reason, that fucker is easy. Scatach is like the plague to most pubbies. Her mechanics are definitely a bit punishing for new people, but it's a 1 wipe thing. It's not a fight worth timing out over. And Bankai Diabolos is pretty much a 50/50 on easy or shitshow.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Leofish posted:

In my limited experience, too many DPS die before sand spheres and they can't be killed fast enough before they wipe everybody but one Paladin who tries to solo the boss for 5 minutes instead of just dying so we can start over.

And it's always a Lalafell, too.

Hommando posted:

I found Mateus to be the easiest part, honestly. The run we had yesterday wiped to Boss 3 and 4.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Red circles okay I'll just dodge those south. Oh falling pillars pushing me further south okay I can do that.

Oh now he's doing his little superman flame cutter move...to the south. Cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vil posted:

If it's your very first job, don't sweat it. Main story quest alone will mostly keep you up to date. Throwing in leveling roulette (and alliance raid roulette at 50+) will definitely do the trick. Alternatively if side quests are more your thing, do those.

Well, my current main job is as a Lv.65 Summoner working through the post-Heavensward content on the way to Stormblood. I’m using it to raise money for levelling a bunch of other jobs - I’m levelling all the DOH classes plus Marauder in parallel, and when I hit 40, I should have enough of a recipe backlog to set myself up for a reasonably smooth Machinist run from day one with shiny HQ gear from ear to ear. Maybe I’ll consider levelling the DOL jobs as well to make resource-gathering cheaper and less dependent on the whims of the market.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, so I knew I missed dun scaith but when the gently caress did weeping city get put into the game? Did HW have two 24 mans?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

Alright, so I knew I missed dun scaith but when the gently caress did weeping city get put into the game? Did HW have two 24 mans?

Came out in Patch 3.3.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

Void Ark was 3.1, Weeping City was 3.3, Dun Scaith was 3.5. All part of the same plot arc.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Luna Was Here posted:

HW had three 24 mans

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Saint Freak posted:

Red circles okay I'll just dodge those south. Oh falling pillars pushing me further south okay I can do that.

Oh now he's doing his little superman flame cutter move...to the south. Cool.

The superior class choice can just Aetherial Manipulation across the entire arena to safety

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

The superior class choice can just Aetherial Manipulation across the entire arena to safety

I would trust any skill that relies on my teammates doing the correct thing

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Renegret posted:

Could you imagine if Aetherial Manipulation had like, a 5 second cooldown. It would be an endless barrel of fun.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Jose Valasquez posted:

HW had three 24 mans

Is there any point to doing them now outside of first time poetics for whatever reason or can I leave my roulette with st and rabanastre

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Obligatum VII posted:

Could you imagine if Aetherial Manipulation had like, a 5 second cooldown. It would be an endless barrel of fun.

And Rescue.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Luna Was Here posted:

Is there any point to doing them now outside of first time poetics for whatever reason or can I leave my roulette with st and rabanastre
Minions, triple triad cards, gear for glams, coins can be exchanged for some orchestrion rolls, if you care about these things.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 26, 2017

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

90% of my deaths on Hashmal come from people dragging the big red AOEs right on top of me. Other than that, it's really not hard to survive unless the sandspheres start blowing up because no one else is surviving.

Rofocale can get hosed though, I think every single Rabanastre party I've been in has wiped to him at least once. Usually he decides to turn while in the middle of casting Trample and squishes 2/3 of the healers, and everything either goes to hell immediately or at the DPS check. I just sit out of Trample's range and eat the occasional Cry at this point, I've had him turn 90 degrees half a second before oneshotting me too many times.

100% of my deaths on Hashmal are while playing DRG and using Jump a tenth of a second before the big red void zones of death appear. It's cool because I'm basically like "Oh well I'm loving dead" a solid 2 seconds before it actually happens and can't do a single thing about it :v:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
If that's it I'll pass on em, besides that it would mean 3 fewer chances to enter the bone zone

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kuvo posted:

I would trust any skill that relies on my teammates doing the correct thing

Ask me about the time during Ferdiad Hollow's expanding AoE when the tank trusted me on my positioning and ran towards my location, while I blindly Aetherial Manipulated to him. I moved 2 inches then we both blew up.

Or don't ask, because that's the extent of the story.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nessus posted:

"Oh, I was supposed to LB the guy AFTER the soulstone was down!"

lol if you actually save the LB for this

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
My favorite thing is when tanks get confused to poo poo when the Qarn golem starts targeting others for full minutes.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Hashmal actually lags me enough that I found out that if your FPS is low enough, sometimes your character will continue moving a step or so after you take your finger off whatever button you're using to move. Yeah, really. The dungeon like, destroys my computer. Sometimes the game just crashes. It's beautiful, but I hope they don't do whatever the gently caress they did with Hashmal again, because I don't really play enough PC games to want to spend money fixing this piece of poo poo set-up I have.

Usually an alliance dies though, because the healers are trying persistently to die to every one-shot mechanic they can. And there's enough incidental AoE that you'll eventually die with no heals. I get this dungeon a lot in mentor roulette on Hashmal and the other healer is like, worthless the entire dungeon.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ruta posted:

Hashmal actually lags me enough that I found out that if your FPS is low enough, sometimes your character will continue moving a step or so after you take your finger off whatever button you're using to move. Yeah, really. The dungeon like, destroys my computer. Sometimes the game just crashes. It's beautiful, but I hope they don't do whatever the gently caress they did with Hashmal again, because I don't really play enough PC games to want to spend money fixing this piece of poo poo set-up I have.

Usually an alliance dies though, because the healers are trying persistently to die to every one-shot mechanic they can. And there's enough incidental AoE that you'll eventually die with no heals. I get this dungeon a lot in mentor roulette on Hashmal and the other healer is like, worthless the entire dungeon.

This is why I started healing it instead.

Bonus points: angrily Rescuing your idiot DPS who are standing in the wrong group during sand orbs.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

If that's it I'll pass on em, besides that it would mean 3 fewer chances to enter the bone zone

Go do the Weeping City right now and start weeping. :argh:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

OneDeadman posted:

My favorite thing is when tanks get confused to poo poo when the Qarn golem starts targeting others for full minutes.

Qarn is the first dungeon that, in my opinion, is actually hard when you're new. They ease you in pretty gently with the MSQ stuff up to that point, but you open up Qarn and all of a sudden there are instant death mechanics by way of the bees and the doom platforms, you've got to position mobs to solve puzzles and the second boss doesn't give a poo poo about aggro at times, not to mention Laser Loggins at the Planetarium at the end.

I always ask if anyone's new when I get it in roulettes because it's the first dungeon that can seriously gently caress up a new player's day. Brayflox has harder hitting enemies for the first time, but Qarn is a beast if you don't know what to expect.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Brayflox was hard back in the first days of ARR, Qarn was maybe a bit harder but it was also optional to boot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fister Roboto posted:

lol if you actually save the LB for this
I ate poo poo and it was a random dungeon, I was encouraging the shaved apes playing DPS classes to try to win so I didn't have to run back through half of Qarm.

They failed me, as is usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I've found it's very difficult to convince pugs in levelling dungeons to use their limit break before the end (or even before that).

Even if you manage to convince them to use it on say, the second boss, they will always wait until the boss is at like 5% HP. It's like they think there's a bonus for landing the kill with it.