Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

There's no reason to vote Dem at any level with their attitude towards sexual assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

C. Everett Koop posted:

There's no reason to vote Dem at any level with their attitude towards sexual assault.

i agree, all dems are same, why just look at dems like danica roem on the state level or like jackie speier on the national level

:downs:

guess we should all vote republican, the party that truly cares about sexual assault

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i write myself in for nearly every position because i care and i have the political positions that best align with myself

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i write myself in for nearly every position because i care and i have the political positions that best align with myself

g-governor brown??

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Yeah, especially the women dems. All of the women running on the dem ticket at every level...

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Y'all bite hard on trolls, eh?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Harik posted:

Hey look you're refusing to engage with my argument again, even after I bolstered it with a quip and dog tax.

Why, forums poster JeffersonClay, do more women need to come forward? You're treating it as axiomatic but it's unfounded. How do these hidden women benefit from their assaulter staying in power until enough (defined always as N+1) come forward? How is their justice not served by watching Franken et al being forced to resign in disgrace without having to endure the media spotlight themselves?

I did respond to your argument, but like usual it was 13th dimensional chess, incomprehensible to the rubes itt, so I’ll unpack it.

JeffersonClay posted:

There's a collective action problem here, and every victim that comes forward makes it easier for the next one to come forward. Resignations are intended to thwart that dynamic.

“wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_action” posted:

The term "collective action problem" describes the situation in which multiple individuals would all benefit from a certain action, but has an associated cost making it implausible that any individual can or will undertake and solve it alone. The ideal solution is then to undertake this as a collective action, the cost of which is shared.

We want more women to come forward because we want all the victims of sexual assault to come forward. Individual victims do not accrue most of the benefits of identifying themselves—society at large does. And each victim that identifies herself lends support and credence to the victims who have already done so. And each victim that identifies himself makes it easier for the next victim to come forward in turn. There are multiple positive externalities when these victims identify themselves. Therefore, we should be doing things that encourage more victims to come forward. There’s a difference between axiomatic and obvious.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 26, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

JeffersonClay posted:

I did respond to your argument, but like usual it was 13th dimensional chess, incomprehensible to the rubes itt, so I’ll unpack it.

We want more women to come forward because we want all the victims of sexual assault to come forward. Individual victims do not accrue most of the benefits of identifying themselves—society at large does. And each victim that identifies herself lends support and credence to the victims who have already done so. And, each victim that identifies himself makes it easier for the next victim to come forward in turn. There are multiple positive externalities when these victims identify themselves. Therefore, we should be doing things that encourage more victims to come forward. There’s a difference between axiomatic and obvious.

survivors shouldn’t have to come forward

we should believe what’s happening when one survivor comes forward and teach people not to do sexual violence

like....what’s wrong with you

it’s super traumatizing and hosed up for a lot of survivors to retell their story and so when they don’t want to come forward, that’s an okay thing

the onus isn’t on them to come forward, the onus is on us to destroy the patriarchy you idiot

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I’m not suggesting we force anyone to come forward.

More women coming forward is helpful in dismantling the patriarchy. Additionally, more women coming forward is extremely helpful to the women who have already come forward

Like are you seriously arguing it doesn’t matter if more women speak out and accuse their attackers?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't more women be encouraged to come forward if they see that they don't need like 20+ accusers to unseat a senator?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

JeffersonClay posted:

I’m not suggesting we force anyone to come forward.

More women coming forward is helpful in dismantling the patriarchy. Additionally, more women coming forward is extremely helpful to the women who have already come forward

Like are you seriously arguing it doesn’t matter if more women speak out and accuse their attackers?

what i’m arguing is we shouldn’t need multiple women to come forward what we need is a goddamn culture shift

you know like how those idiots in trumppol were defending franken up and down even with goddamn photographic evidence

those people need to be punched in the head

or the men who knew about this stuff for years and were complicit: see jon stewart wrt louie ck

i also prescribe one (1) punch to the head as needed

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

stone cold posted:

what i’m arguing is we shouldn’t need multiple women to come forward what we need is a goddamn culture shift

And I’m arguing that more victims coming forward and accusing their victimizers is helpful in shifting the goddamn culture. That’s the idea behind #metoo .

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wouldn't more women be encouraged to come forward if they see that they don't need like 20+ accusers to unseat a senator?

I mean sure, but it’s also very encouraging to have their experiences corroborated and bolstered by others who’ve been victimized in a similar manner. Also, women who are torn between the desire to speak out and the personal costs of speaking out would similarly be encouraged by the premise that other women are likely to speak out and share those costs. There’s a substantial difference between “that woman is a lying slut” and “that large group of women are all lying sluts”. Both are terrible but the latter is easier for an individual to bear.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 26, 2017

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JeffersonClay posted:

I mean sure, but it’s also very encouraging to have their experiences corroborated and bolstered by others who’ve been victimized in a similar manner. Also, women who are torn between the desire to speak out and the personal costs of speaking out would similarly be encouraged by the premise that other women are likely to speak out and share those costs.

So how many more women need to speak out before we believe them enough to unseat Franken? 1? 5? 10? Maybe it's like a videogame and all X of his victims need to speak out for the good ending.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

JeffersonClay posted:

And I’m arguing that more victims coming forward and accusing their victimizers is helpful in shifting the goddamn culture. That’s the idea behind #metoo .

I mean sure, but it’s also very encouraging to have their experiences corroborated and bolstered by others who’ve been victimized in a similar manner. Also, women who are torn between the desire to speak out and the personal costs of speaking out would similarly be encouraged by the premise that other women are likely to speak out and share those costs.

that’s uh

jesus what’s your whole scene

what happened to make you lack empathy

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

stone cold posted:

that’s uh

brain spiders

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

beep boop clearly women don’t speak out because they weigh their costs rationally like me between beep boop emotional pain beep boop and the net benefit to society

beep boop what emotional pain of being survivor of sexual violence is? what it is?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So how many more women need to speak out before we believe them enough to unseat Franken? 1? 5? 10? Maybe it's like a videogame and all X of his victims need to speak out for the good ending.

Unseating Franken isn’t the end game here. Putting Franken through a rigorous investigation before he resigns or gets kicked out has benefits beyond his removal.

stone cold posted:

that’s uh

When I see the #metoo movement blowing up, and masses of women (and men) identifying themselves as victims and encouraging others to do the same as a way of fixing our broken culture, I listen to them.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

stone cold posted:

that’s uh

JC is the end result of mainlining centrism

No morals, just concerned with winning. No policy goals, just a gigantic concern for preserving the status quo and decorum of the system.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

Unseating Franken isn’t the end game here.

Actually, it is the end goal, and victims of sexual abuse shouldn't have to be thrown into the spotlight and dragged out for weeks/months in order to get human filth removed from office.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JeffersonClay posted:

Unseating Franken isn’t the end game here. Putting Franken through a rigorous investigation before he resigns or gets kicked out has benefits beyond his removal.

He confessed, though! He should resign and be tried (in a criminal court).

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

JC is the end result of mainlining centrism

No morals, just concerned with winning. No policy goals, just a gigantic concern for preserving the status quo and decorum of the system.

If I were just concerned with democrats winning I’d have wanted Franken to resign weeks ago.

This is an impressively dumb response to “more women victims of the patriarchy identifying themselves is helpful in smashing the patriarchy”

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

stone cold posted:

that’s uh

liberalism

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Horseshoe theory posted:

Actually, it is the end goal, and victims of sexual abuse shouldn't have to be thrown into the spotlight and dragged out for weeks/months in order to get human filth removed from office.

No, the end goal is smashing the patriarchy. Nobody’s suggesting we out victims against their will. I’m suggesting we create environments where victims are more comfortable and motivated to accuse their victimizers.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

He confessed, though! He should resign and be tried (in a criminal court).

The only official investigation you’re going to see into Franken’s behavior is a senate investigation.

I mean, Im defending the Bernie Sanders position here.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I, see

I’m upping my prescription from earlier to “guillotine constantly”

Go run along and fill that one immediately

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

stone cold posted:

I, see

I’m upping my prescription from earlier to “guillotine constantly”

Go run along and fill that one immediately

I dunno telling other posters to kill themselves doesn’t have an excellent track record but who knows?

JeffersonClay posted:

When I see the #metoo movement blowing up, and masses of women (and men) identifying themselves as victims and encouraging others to do the same as a way of fixing our broken culture, I listen to them.

Sentence: guillotine

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

JeffersonClay posted:

I dunno telling other posters to kill themselves doesn’t have an excellent track record but who knows?

Sentence: guillotine

yeah, that’s definitely what calling for the guillotine means you robot of a goon

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

No, the end goal is smashing the patriarchy. Nobody’s suggesting we out victims against their will. I’m suggesting we create environments where victims are more comfortable and motivated to accuse their victimizers.

How about by forcibly removing the predators from positions of power ASAP to show that they're not invulnerable?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Horseshoe theory posted:

How about by forcibly removing the predators from positions of power ASAP to show that they're not invulnerable?

beep boop unless a horde of victims come forward we must only investigate

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Smash patriarchy by keeping abusive patriarchs in power and not pushing for any consequences for their actions until some as-yet-undecided point in the future. Brilliant.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

pretty hosed up that survivors choose to perpetuate the patriarchy by not coming forward, imho. wish they would be less selfish

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JeffersonClay posted:

I’m suggesting we create environments where victims are more comfortable and motivated to accuse their victimizers.

Hint: telling them 'that's nice, but we need more victims to come forward first' isn't really a motivator.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Calibanibal posted:

pretty hosed up that survivors choose to perpetuate the patriarchy by not coming forward, imho. wish they would be less selfish

Yeah, no kidding. Can't they see that we need an undefinable number of victims to step forward before we take any concrete action on the matter? Why can't they understand that their suffering only matters in aggregate, and step forward to have every aspect of their lives scrutinized and criticized before we decide if their claims have any merit or warrant any action?

Edit: Okay I have to stop the sarcasm now because I'm actually starting to feel sick (though that admittedly might be because I am in fact actually sick). Also JC really loving sucks.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

No, the end goal is smashing the patriarchy.

Yes, I totally believe you, JeffersonClay, noted defender of the status quo, are committed to smashing the patriarchy. Especially because putting X number of women through Republican led Anita Hill style hearings before allowing a sexual predator to resign is a Good Thing and definitely is not patronizing in any way!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The party will never hold itself accountable and will do whatever it takes to keep the American people from taking it to task.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

MooselanderII posted:

Yes, I totally believe you, JeffersonClay, noted defender of the status quo, are committed to smashing the patriarchy. Especially because putting X number of women through Republican led Anita Hill style hearings before allowing a sexual predator to resign is a Good Thing and definitely is not patronizing in any way!

So we’re back to “senate investigations of sexual misconduct are misogyny”. Cool. Do you believe Bernie and Elizabeth Warren? because i’m defending their strategy here.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Hint: telling them 'that's nice, but we need more victims to come forward first' isn't really a motivator.

I’m suggesting we say “thanks for coming forward we’re going to launch an investigation and encourage other victims to come forward so we can force him to resign”. Like he’s pretty obviously not going to resign on his own right now. Maybe if you make enough bad faith arguments in this thread he’ll change his mind.

Roland Jones posted:

Smash patriarchy by keeping abusive patriarchs in power and not pushing for any consequences for their actions until some as-yet-undecided point in the future. Brilliant.

The yet undefined point in the future being after the investigation.

Horseshoe theory posted:

How do you imagine that they forcibly remove Franken without an investigation?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JeffersonClay posted:

Maybe if you make enough bad faith arguments in this thread he’ll change his mind.

Please, you don't get to tell people they're arguing in bad faith.

(he loving confessed!)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

franken should step down

why is this hard for you

maybe that’s just my dame brain talking, jc, but that seems like a pretty simple loving solution

especially when there’s goddamn photographic evidence

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

stone cold posted:

franken should step down

why is this hard for you

maybe that’s just my dame brain talking, jc, but that seems like a pretty simple loving solution

especially when there’s goddamn photographic evidence

Because that means goals and affirmative political visions to work towards in lieu of incestuous networks of favors and personal affiliation and we can’t have that now, can we?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Like that’s not hard for me, I agree that Franken should resign. I think there are benefits to having a senate investigation before that happens. Regardless, it seems pretty unlikely that he’s going to step down before an investigation anyway, so you might as well be howling at the moon here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

Like that’s not hard for me, I agree that Franken should resign. I think there are benefits to having a senate investigation before that happens. Regardless, it seems pretty unlikely that he’s going to step down before an investigation anyway, so you might as well be howling at the moon here.

are we still pretending you can't do both?

how many pages is it now?

• Locked thread