Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Ford aren't exactly known for building durable small cars anymore. At least the Mazda interiors don't look like they were designed for a 5 year old to operate.

Where does Ford enter into the discussion of Mazda vs. Honda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pham Nuwen posted:

The tow truck youre going to need for the Mazda will probably be a Ford.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Early 1980s, really.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

The wagon's probably a good call. In your position I'd probably be looking for that or a 4cyl S10 or Ranger, so I could put my bike and gear in the back and still get about the same mileage as a sedan.

But then you have to drive a lovely truck. That's why they make bike racks, so you don't have to drive a lovely truck just to haul your bike around.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

As of 2008, Ford owned 33% of Mazda. That's down to 2% now.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But then you have to drive a lovely truck. That's why they make bike racks, so you don't have to drive a lovely truck just to haul your bike around.

Trucks are not lovely. <:mad:>

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Wait, is this the thread where we all pretend to drive everywhere at 8/10 all the time, and trucks are lovely because they don't drive like sports cars?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

8/10? That's Coward Talk, Fella!

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I got a '08 Fit. The biggest thing I've had to replace is tires and shocks. You really can fit a poo poo load of stuff in the back and technically you can sleep in the car if it is just you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Trucks are poo poo at car stuff. Cars are poo poo at truck stuff.

But most people need to do car stuff.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Enourmo posted:

8/10? That's Coward Talk, Fella!

Well I drive a lovely Ranger, so...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pham Nuwen posted:

The Mazda 3 came on a Euro ford focus platform is all I can think of.
If it is anything like my 2 though, there are a much of parts stamped "fomoco." I don't see that as a bad thing though.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

Is the loaded Accord Coupe a V6 automatic? Honda had a lot of issues with early 2000s V6 automatics.

2001+ maybe? Body style change. They had rear brake issues with burning through pads quickly.

96-00The Honda(s) is a good get in terms of cheap and dead reliable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dagen H posted:

Trucks are not lovely. <:mad:>

Trucks hold their value too well. The budget he's looking to spend would not get him a nice truck, and buying a $3k truck just to haul a bike around is a dumb idea when he can get a nice car for the same price.

I've got nothing against trucks, but if you don't really NEED one, and you can get a decent Honda Accord or equivalent for the price of an old Ranger guess what most people here would buy nine times out of ten.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

I've got nothing against trucks

Calling them lovely suggests otherwise. You do make fair points, though.

c355n4 posted:

I got a '08 Fit. The biggest thing I've had to replace is tires and shocks. You really can fit a poo poo load of stuff in the back and technically you can sleep in the car if it is just you.

Will a bicycle fit in the back with the seats folded down?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got nothing against trucks, but if you don't really NEED one, and you can get a decent Honda Accord or equivalent for the price of an old Ranger guess what most people here would buy nine times out of ten.

A $22k Lincoln SUV on a 78-month loan financed through Santander?

e. Oh drat, you said most people here and I just skipped that word completely

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Dagen H posted:

Will a bicycle fit in the back with the seats folded down?

If you take the front wheel off the bicycle it will. Unless you have some monster bicycle. I don't know what else you'll be able to fit into the car though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dagen H posted:

Calling them lovely suggests otherwise. You do make fair points, though.

I meant lovely in terms of the budget, you're not going to find a nice truck for 3k.

My brother recently bought a truck because he needed one for work, his budget was 8k. After going with him looking at multiple trucks, he finally settled on a '02 Silverado with 130k miles on it with bald tires. It was the nicest truck he could find within his budget. Then four months after he bought it and put a new set of tires on it, the transmission took a poo poo at the tune of $1200.

Truck resale values are ridiculous, and unless you really need one you're making a mistake buying one.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

But most people need to do butt stuff.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Get the Fiiiiiiiiit.

Also echoing the plagues of the V6 automatic Accord. The main problem is the transmission in the 98-02 model is crap and starts to forget how to shift after ~120k miles. This is made worse by the fact the fuel delivery system in the same range (sixth generation) is equally crap and vapour locks when it starts to cool down like nobody's business.

There's an entire forum specifically for that generation of Accord and everyone there hates the V6. I miss mine from a driving perspective but I do not miss the myriad problems one bit.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

We got Daves bike in the back of my 07 Fit prior to Greyhound fuckery. Piling on with the get the Fit vote.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

antimatt posted:

They're like Proxy Paige. They're attractive and cute, but you're not 100% sure why. And you're always surprised by how much odd stuff fits in the rear.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

From the B-pillar forward this is a car, from there back it's a truck. Why choose when you could have both?

Fit gets my vote - don't drive terrible, cheap/easy to fix and should run for a long time

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What is your parking situation? Street by the hostel? Driveway?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

What is your parking situation? Street by the hostel? Driveway?

Hostel owned parking spaces

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

As of 2008, Ford owned 33% of Mazda. That's down to 2% now.

That's approximately how fast my own Mazda disintegrated.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Pretty sure modern mazdas still have fomoco stamped on the engine

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The owner pays me in cigarettes, alchohol, brownies, and french dip sandwiches

Its a hard life

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Be wary of the Floof, I let one in my house and bought it fancy pet forum floof food, I turn around to pour myself a beer and it is eating the sandwich I just made before I even got one bite.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Elephanthead posted:

Be wary of the Floof, I let one in my house and bought it fancy pet forum floof food, I turn around to pour myself a beer and it is eating the sandwich I just made before I even got one bite.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

InitialDave posted:

The Fit is the best non-truck truck:

Car camping setup

2 bikes

TV

Mobile detailing gear

A front bumper cover

Luggage

Band equipment

Armchair

Gas grill

Washing machine

Snowblower

Your old and new hot water heater

Ruckus

Motorcycle

67 folding chairs

Your family and their camping gear

Camping chairs, a kid's bike and 2 kayaks

Oven

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Also parking in Denver sucks rear end.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Wtf is there just a whole forum of people shoving as much stuff in their fit as possible?

Also Id have to say Denver is pretty average as far as cities go for parking. Better than any real big city anyway. Outside of Cap Hill parking seems pretty easy to find.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Now I just want to stuff random crap into the back of my wagon and take pics. I mean standard driving around stuff for like 6 months was a tool bag, rhyno ramps, 2 boxes of detailing stuff, assorted auto parts, an overnight bag with clothes and an electric impact in its oversized carrying case. And that was with the backseats up and without worrying about how to stack stuff, just chunking it in.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

StormDrain posted:

Wtf is there just a whole forum of people shoving as much stuff in their fit as possible?

We have a thread on the local Subaru club of people stuffing poo poo into their wagons but I've never seen an entire stove. I maxed my old Impreza out at three boxed toilets.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I fit x4 new 265/75/16 Bridgestone REVO 2 tires in my Paseo once

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I used to cargo the poo poo out of both my '82 GL hatch and my Festiva.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

MrYenko posted:

The tow truck youre going to need for the Mazda will probably be a Ford.

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Those shoes look comfy and great for bumming around in so I told my wife I want a pair for Christmas. She said as long as I only wear them around the house (this will not happen but deep down she knows).

Also the french dip is the best sandwich.

E- Also also I live in Denver and housing is outrageous here. So many people move here that new construction has not paced with demand. It's a great city but have a job or place to stay before moving.

• Locked thread