Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

ExplodingSims posted:

Bumper Truck:

Is...that on a Twizzy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

beep-beep car is go posted:

Is...that on a Twizzy?

i like ur username that is all

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

DICK DICER posted:

i like ur username that is all

It was given to me in one of the GBS rename threads. I like it too.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I've been doing some research on MegaSquirt, and it certainly sounds appealing.

Has anyone here used it so far? How hard is it to work with? It looks like it's not too bad to work with.
Also, is it supposed to be a total ECU replacement, or do you still need the OG ECU?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ExplodingSims posted:

So I've been doing some research on MegaSquirt, and it certainly sounds appealing.

Has anyone here used it so far? How hard is it to work with? It looks like it's not too bad to work with.
Also, is it supposed to be a total ECU replacement, or do you still need the OG ECU?

It can be a total ECU replacement. Depending on model, additional hardware or different firmware may be required for ignition control if desired.

I’ve built a v1.01 and a v2.2, but have yet to put one in an actual vehicle. Both units were operation, however. There is a “stimulator” available that lets you simulate sensor and rpm inputs so you can verify operation on the bench. Pretty cool.

Edit: your TBI Chevy v8 is literally what the MS was developed for as a test case, BTW. Bowling, one of the co-creators, has or had a Jaaaaaaaag XJ6 with a small block.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

ExplodingSims posted:

Total replacement, lots of people make them for you to buy and the sloppy mechanics guy uses them to get 1000+ bhp put of junk yard LM7s

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Darchangel posted:

It can be a total ECU replacement. Depending on model, additional hardware or different firmware may be required for ignition control if desired.

I’ve built a v1.01 and a v2.2, but have yet to put one in an actual vehicle. Both units were operation, however. There is a “stimulator” available that lets you simulate sensor and rpm inputs so you can verify operation on the bench. Pretty cool.

Edit: your TBI Chevy v8 is literally what the MS was developed for as a test case, BTW. Bowling, one of the co-creators, has or had a Jaaaaaaaag XJ6 with a small block.

So what did you buy exactly? Just a kit like this one?
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ms230-k-kit-with-mapdaddy4-upgrade/

I'm really interested in this, but it seems kinda pricey and I'd find out I bought the wrong thing.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm really interested in this, but it seems kinda pricey and I'd find out I bought the wrong thing.

:ironicat:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

ExplodingSims posted:

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasquirt-i-programmable-efi-system-pcb2-2-kit-w-black-case/ is the simplest one that just has 2 injector outputs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

There are some fantastic writeups about how to MegaSquirt convert TBI GMs with a kit like this one.

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/chevrolet-gm/megasquirt-your-sbc-v8/

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/chevrolet-gm/carb-to-efi/

GM TBI with fuel only, distributor still runs ignition: https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/chevrolet-gm/carb-to-efi/part1/

It is so flexible that there's a ton of information about it but not very much about it seems directly relevant. These write-ups helped bridge the gap for me a lot.

If you are cheap but can ingest a lot of PO fuckery, you could also buy a used partially-assembled MegaSquirt off Craigslist or your local ricer forums to save a few bucks. I've gotten two this way, though I've used none.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 5, 2017

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

BECAUSE THAT'S NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. NO SIR NOT ON THIS PROJECT

Ok, I wasn't sure which one was the better option. According to their website the MS1 doesn't give you control over the IAC Valve, if that's a big deal.
Would it be worth it to spend the extra bucks for the MS2?

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/chevrolet-gm/megasquirt-your-sbc-v8/

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Iac control is huge for non race car applications.

I've tuned a couple of them on miatas and they're fairly straightforward. The hardest part is how universal they are. You'll have to configure the voltage range for every major sensor, say map/maf, iat, ect, and everything in control of timing, ignition, and fuel injection.

It is complicated but it can be done and we can help. Also seeing the truck on a dyno one day would be peak ai.

Edit:. They say preconfigured for gm sensors. This will help.

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 5, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Could you not download and flash a base config + fuel map for a TBI and then tweak it for power on the dyno/road tune like almost every other programmable ECU allows you to do?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

Could you not download and flash a base config + fuel map for a TBI and then tweak it for power on the dyno/road tune like almost every other programmable ECU allows you to do?

That's basically what he'll do with MegaSquirt, yeah. If he uses a wideband, there's some really nice auto-tuning functionality as well.

There's still some configuration needed since the MegaSquirt can deal with a bajillion different kinds of sensors. You just need to go through a few dialogue boxes and set what kind of sensors they are, but chances are there's a pre-canned setup for a GM TBI assuming GM was pretty consistent.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 5, 2017

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Don Dongington posted:

I mean, that's kinda what I'm asking here? This is pretty much baby's first foray into ECU setup/tuning so this all pretty uncharted territory for me.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

ExplodingSims posted:

I'v megasquirted my landrover but my thread has now dissappeared into the archives.

Its a total replacement but be prepared to do a LOT of reading up and learning and spend some time with the multimeter and learning how to test every single EFI component separately....

I also had to learn how to solder after changing components part way through and having to upgrade my pre-build ECU to suit.

You should find it slightly easier than me as I went from carbs to a combination of custom EFI parts fitted in a space where they were not supposed to go whereas you just need to plug everything that is already there and working back in (and add a wideband) and you have loads of space to work in! ...

Don Dongington posted:

Yes you can. You need to buy the paid $60 version of the Tunerstudio software if you want to be able to drive around and let it autotune via a wideband sensor. Definitely budget this in as the software is well worth it.

If you can find someone else's similar setup to start with it will make it really really easy (they don't advise you do this but its a lifesaver to test stuff if things don't work as planned or to see what other people set in places). I haven't been able to do that as my setup is unique and i'm still having trouble with some of the fiddly settings.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

Lots of replies telling you what you actually needed to know, but to answer your question to me - I bought mine directly from Bowling and Grippo, when they first came out. I've had it almost 2 decades now, I think.

edit: Wikipedia says the MS I came out in 2001, and the MS II in 2005. The one I actually have is an MS I v2.2, which would be between those two. So closer to 15 years. The one I have would actually be aces on your TBI SBC. It can be stretched to do ignition control with MSnS, AKA MegaSquirt 'n' Spark-Extra, which also ads a bunch of other features to the MS1 that were incorporated into the MS2 and beyond.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 5, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Wikipedia article is a good overview:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaSquirt

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
isn't the stock ECU designed to do exactly what you want and available for $20 at every junkyard in America?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Its the one with red and blue connectors? Even if your doing MS you probably want to get it running correctly on the stock ECU first. You will have a much easier time knowing everything worked correctly rather than trying to diagnose issues while tuning.

I haven’t done MS but I have done HPtuners. With that things like slightly lazy o2 sensors and cold air intakes that hosed with the MAF were enough to deal with. You don’t need more unknowns.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

rdb posted:

Its the one with red and blue connectors? Even if your doing MS you probably want to get it running correctly on the stock ECU first. You will have a much easier time knowing everything worked correctly rather than trying to diagnose issues while tuning.

I haven’t done MS but I have done HPtuners. With that things like slightly lazy o2 sensors and cold air intakes that hosed with the MAF were enough to deal with. You don’t need more unknowns.

Yeah, at least we know the wiring is good though

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

rdb posted:

That is the plan, for now anyways. I have to pull the whole harness and check over it/ redo some runs, so at least by the end of that I'll have everthing labeled and tagged, so I'll have some idea of what goes to what.

But there's also the possibility that the ECU is fried too, so replacing it anyways may be in order.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Elephanthead posted:

isn't the stock ECU designed to do exactly what you want and available for $20 at every junkyard in America?

That ECU is I guess known to be fragile and easily fried so the decision is between another possibly bad ECU or going with MS which would be less likely to be DOA but would involve some tuning.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Cat Hatter posted:

That ECU is I guess known to be fragile and easily fried so the decision is between another possibly bad ECU or going with MS which would be less likely to be DOA but would involve some tuning.

It's pretty much this. Gonna pull the harness, and redo it, and try the original ECU one more time, then maybe replace it depending on what happens. Just kinda kicking the Megasquirt thing around for a future thing. I'm trying not to spend a ton on an engine that won't be the final product. But if the ECU is a fragile as people claim it is, keeping in a non-water tight environment like the truck cab might not be the best idea.

Speaking of the harness, I must how much I love eBay for being able to produce just any document you might need from any time period:

This thing makes this stuff so much easier.

Also, I'm glad somebody around here is selling some quality tools!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TBI-Wiring...lUAAOSwIwhWS5er

This looked interesting I have no idea of the quality. Someday I will TBI swap a straight 6 67 chevy C10.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ExplodingSims posted:

It's not just good, it's good enough!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

ExplodingSims posted:

It's part of the Good, Better, Best series. The manufacturer sends them to parts stores with the stickers preinstalled. Basically, you bought the cheapest one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I want one that says “meh, it’ll do”.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Darchangel posted:

I want one that says “meh, it’ll do”.

:shrug:

"Sorry, it's all I got"

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
8-17mm nine piece metric box end wrench set

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

DICK DICER posted:

8-17mm nine piece metric box end wrench set

Missing the 10mm?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ausgezeichnet posted:

Missing the 10mm?

:unsmigghh:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The set of metric wrenches I mail-ordered from Harbor Freight ~25 years ago didn't include a 12mm.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I just marathoned this thread. Holy poo poo.

Now to get caught up on 14’s Bike Safari...

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Big Taint posted:

I just marathoned this thread. Holy poo poo.

Now to get caught up on 14’s Bike Safari...

I hope you also did the supplimental reading of Requiem for a Jeep.

I should really link that in the OP.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

rear end TO rear end

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ExplodingSims posted:

Requiem for a Jeep. The Valentine odyssey begins here.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The recovery and Rehabilitation of Dave is perhaps the greatest achievement of the thread.

The discovery of Panther piss is the next best thing.

• Locked thread