Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Timby posted:

The last time he had his actual hair was in The First Avenger, but I believe they did wind up using extensions for some of his helmet-less scenes because he was already receding badly. Ever since then, he's been getting increasingly more hilarious pieces. It started out as just a receding hairline but nowadays I believe he's said to be about 3/4 bald, just not quite as badly as like, say, Shatner was back during the original series of Star Trek (when either Jimmy Doohan or Bob Justman said that he just had "a few odd tufts" on his head).

That's interesting, I had no idea. Hopefully he just rocks it for a role or so after his marvel contract is up. Also, holy poo poo about how bad Shatner was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I love bearded scruffy Cap. Looks so drat cool.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrJacobs posted:

That's interesting, I had no idea. Hopefully he just rocks it for a role or so after his marvel contract is up. Also, holy poo poo about how bad Shatner was.

Thanks to the excessive DNR on the Blu-ray of The Undiscovered Country, in some shots you can literally see the glue lines from where Shatner's toupee was attached.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

All my action figures are finally in place and ALIVE.

Literally this:

https://storify.com/HunkyJimpjorps/the-saga-of-gamemaster-anthony-s-birthdays-33-39

Gamemaster anthony owns, sincerity is the new irony you jaded tool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

All my action figures are finally in place and ALIVE.

Literally this:

https://storify.com/HunkyJimpjorps/the-saga-of-gamemaster-anthony-s-birthdays-33-39

The horror of it all!!!!!!!!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

GamesmasterAnthony's sincere appreciation of fictional characters has already been subsumed into the great blob called Capitalism: https://youtu.be/syE65V7YO2Q

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is his hair that bad? Or is he always wearing pieces?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=chri...NOQL6mkbPnNpZM:

I can't see it.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 29, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the true enlightenment of game master anthony is that you can make all the crossovers you want for yourself in your brain and don't need to rely on bad disney movies to achieve that happiness

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I can't see it.

Aren't hollywood hair extensions pretty good? Jeremy Piven went from almost completely bald to having hair. Unless likewise those are all high priced wigs.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vintersorg posted:

I can't see it.

That's his secret. He's always bald.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Also these are some great observations.

"HOW DARE YOU CRITIQUE MARVEL!!!!"

*posts non-stop making GBS threads on Snyder/DC/WB*

(Latest WB/DC deserves all the poo poo tho for loving JL up)

Like, give me a loving break. The goddamn hypocrisy is off the charts.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I found this while searching for pictures of Chris Evans' silly bald head
http://parsamohebi.com/gallery/celebrity-hair/
its like they did a phriday

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Death to nerds IMO.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Calibanibal posted:

why does the big bad we've been waiting a decade for look so dumb CGI ugly

hellboy looked so good 13 years ago, why cant they figure this stuff out with their ridiculous budget

These BAD CGI comments are tiresome as gently caress. Post that screenshot of Thanos next to one of Steppenwolf and then try and say that Thanos is BAD CGI.

I'm pretty sure everyone saying that Marvel films are uninspired or boring are just so invested in films like BvS that basic competence in movie making is seen as a strange and unsettling concept. Marvel actually gives a poo poo about character development and story, which is why they get good reviews and why people get excited for these films. Not the CGI.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vintersorg posted:

I can't see it.

It was reported around the time of Avengers (I think in the same interview in which he talked about begging Whedon to re-use the First Avenger costume instead of that dollar-store abomination Whedon chose) that he was wearing a piece full-time.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
At least Thanos is mo-capped, though. I thought his chin looked a little... comically wobbly when he moved his head around. They animated it like a sweet titty

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CityMidnightJunky posted:

These BAD CGI comments are tiresome as gently caress. Post that screenshot of Thanos next to one of Steppenwolf and then try and say that Thanos is BAD CGI.

I'm pretty sure everyone saying that Marvel films are uninspired or boring are just so invested in films like BvS that basic competence in movie making is seen as a strange and unsettling concept. Marvel actually gives a poo poo about character development and story, which is why they get good reviews and why people get excited for these films. Not the CGI.

Yeah, the CGI looks fine, the images themselves are just badly composed.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Vintersorg posted:

Calm down

My only beef with this movie is the iron spider suit looks like boiled rear end. That poo poo better get destroyed so he can wear the one true spidey costume in part 4 (without those black stripes from Homecoming either)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Guy A. Person posted:

Jeremy Piven went from almost completely bald to having hair.

Joel McHale too.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

they can both be bad, it doesn't have to be an either/or thing

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Firstborn posted:

I found this while searching for pictures of Chris Evans' silly bald head
http://parsamohebi.com/gallery/celebrity-hair/
its like they did a phriday

This is way funnier than I thought it would be.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Timby posted:

Thanks to the excessive DNR on the Blu-ray of The Undiscovered Country, in some shots you can literally see the glue lines from where Shatner's toupee was attached.

And a lot of the tribbles were made from Shatner's hair pieces.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

Joel McHale too.

Yeah, his hair "grew back" with a vengeance. He was turning into Joe Rogan then all of a sudden...

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The idea that all the Marvel movies have been leading up to this one is even thinner than the idea that the original set were leading up to the Avengers. A completely different character design gurned in one or two after credits scenes half a decade ago.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

In the remastered TOS shows you can see the drat sweat collecting around the hair pieces and how much mascara and foundation everyone is wearing. It's really funny.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thanos losing his armour and headgear doesn't make him look less like a California Raisin, but toning down the purple does.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In the remastered TOS shows you can see the drat sweat collecting around the hair pieces and how much mascara and foundation everyone is wearing. It's really funny.

I seriously thought for years the original broadcasts just had everybody flagrantly wearing garish stage makeup and everybody in the 60s just accepted it as what you did on TV.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's a really boring portrayal of the character. What happened to his star eyes?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is way funnier than I thought it would be.

i think it gets better as it goes down, as most things do

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Worf's stuff in TNG is crazy episode to episode. You can see all the lines.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Also the drastic switches to SUPER soft focus whenever they do a close-up on a woman's face are jarring as gently caress in 1080p lol.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

josh04 posted:

The idea that all the Marvel movies have been leading up to this one is even thinner than the idea that the original set were leading up to the Avengers. A completely different character design gurned in one or two after credits scenes half a decade ago.

Looking at the comparison shots three pages ago was kind of shocking to me. I forgot he looked like that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Same thing with the Blu-ray of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, although that was due to two factors: 1) All of the cast were concerned about being portrayed as "old," since it was ten years after the show ended, so they put a poo poo-ton of age-defying makeup on everyone, especially Shatner and Nimoy (whose skin was already getting craggy because of his alcoholism). 2) Dick Kline and Harold Michelson (cinematographer and production designer) were loving idiots; Michelson designed the bridge to have the primary lighting come from the floor--and it was absurdly low, like 20 foot-candles, which is just a step above standard dusk / early-evening--and Kline then used additional lighting from the side, but had it all be really soft lighting, which pretty much exposed all of that makeup work. As a result, everyone in the movie looks terrible -- I mean, you have to work to make your actors look that bad.

Edit: I just found my interview notes. Michelson really hosed up because the floor lighting had to be taken down to 20 foot-candles so the lights on the consoles would actually register on camera; any higher and the console lights would literally melt. Kline then compensated with his "hmmm, how do we make these actors look strong and chiseled ... I know, we'll do everything soft" approach.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 29, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

gotta tell y'all, i am real excited for thanos' daughter(s) to get even more sidelined in the fighting thanos movie than the previous two movies where she was ostensibly a lead

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I seriously thought for years the original broadcasts just had everybody flagrantly wearing garish stage makeup and everybody in the 60s just accepted it as what you did on TV.

HD quality has not been kind to anything made Pre 2008

Aaaaaaanything

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Biased and totally unfunny Marvel fans, perhaps we need equal time?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I think Thanos looks better than Steppenwolf but not by much. Nobody who is saying Thanos looks goofy is implicitly championing Steppenwolf (like wtf?), but a bunch of the people who dumped all over Steppenwolf are for sure going to twist themselves into knots arguing that Thanos is totally fine.

It is weird how quickly you went to the DC vs Marvel well tho. I like both but this looks significantly less interesting than Doctor Strange or Ant-Man or Guardians 2 or Ragnarok. Most of the best shots are all CG, the characters you are saying are great aren't shot or framed very well (except for that admittedly dope shot of Peter's arm hairs raising). Plus what's up with Stark's stupid looking tech hoodie?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Burkion posted:

HD quality has not been kind to anything made Pre 2008

Aaaaaaanything

Someone hasn't watched The Third Man on bluray.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

gotta tell y'all, i am real excited for thanos' daughter(s) to get even more sidelined in the fighting thanos movie than the previous two movies where she was ostensibly a lead

Gamora and Nebula are going to be important in these films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They should try hiring some video game composers.

Like somebody let Yasunori Mitsuda do a movie score please

gently caress yes. Video games music keeps getting better as movie music keeps getting worse. Here's a bunch of video game music I think would work in a movie, because I'm a nerd who loves posting youtube links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miOizLxOD4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntu_6ROG8EM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaTTXn-26qE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw_VmlBTvjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Prg8RdPaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjwXI0n5-I

• Locked thread