Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My problem is just that it's not actually a dude. Someone mentioned Hellboy earlier, and if you made him purple he'd probably look like a better Thanos.

Was Steppenwolf mo-capped? At least Thanos is Josh Brolin, right? That's pretty much the only difference. I am also slightly biased because I've never heard of Steppenwolf, and I don't remember him doing anything cool outside of the chase sequence with the Amazons (a cool scene).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Burkion posted:

HD quality has not been kind to anything made Pre 2008

Aaaaaaanything

Watch a Criterion Kurosawa and have your mind changed

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Timby posted:

Same thing with the Blu-ray of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, although that was due to two factors: 1) All of the cast were concerned about being portrayed as "old," since it was ten years after the show ended, so they put a poo poo-ton of age-defying makeup on everyone, especially Shatner and Nimoy (whose skin was already getting craggy because of his alcoholism). 2) Dick Kline and Harold Michelson (cinematographer and production designer) were loving idiots; Michelson designed the bridge to have the primary lighting come from the floor--and it was absurdly low, like 20 foot-candles, which is just a step above standard dusk / early-evening--and Kline then used additional lighting from the side, but had it all be really soft lighting, which pretty much exposed all of that makeup work. As a result, everyone in the movie looks terrible -- I mean, you have to work to make your actors look that bad.

And the split-diopter lens which lets in more light in return for having a second focal point, which the director bafflingly fills with a distracting extra whenever possible. I've got the perfect example image around somewhere from the last time this came up but I can't find it right now.

e: gottit

Stunning work.

Burkion posted:

HD quality has not been kind to anything made Pre 2008

Aaaaaaanything

In TV, certainly, cinema should be another matter.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 29, 2017

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I bet the Youtube monitization of this trailer makes more than JL in it's entire theatrical run.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In the remastered TOS shows you can see the drat sweat collecting around the hair pieces and how much mascara and foundation everyone is wearing. It's really funny.

Watching the Batman 66 TV show in Hi-Def is terrifying. Also you get bonus points whenver you can see Robin replaced with a fat old italian with a long pointy nose and a mustache.

Also Stephen Wolf was mocapped, wasn't he? I know they said somewhere that the actor never actually met any of the main cast since he was mocapping in a studio across the country.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Someone hasn't watched The Third Man on bluray.

Okay let me clarify that

Anything that wasn't meant to be black and white

Black and white films only get more gorgeous

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
"[Thanos] has a more casual approach in this film, and it's very philosophical for him," explained Russo at San Diego Comic-Con. "It's part of his character definition. It's a spiritual journey for him to collect the Stones, and one with which he doesn't need armor. Once he starts acquiring the Stones, he doesn't need armor in the same way he did when he was a war lord. It's a very symbolic costume."

:shrug:

e: I just realized Thanos calls his gang "The Black Order"... that sounds pretty metal.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

josh04 posted:

And the split-diopter lens which lets in more light in return for having a second focal point, which the director bafflingly fills with a distracting extra whenever possible. I've got the perfect example image around somewhere from the last time this came up but I can't find it right now.

In TV, certainly, cinema should be another matter.

I love this kind of stuff, please post more.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Scarlett Johansson is aging into Uma Thurman and it’s great. She’s gonna star in movies forever.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Also Stephen Wolf was mocapped, wasn't he? I know they said somewhere that the actor never actually met any of the main cast since he was mocapping in a studio across the country.

Yeah it was Ciarin Hinds

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Also these are some great observations.

"HOW DARE YOU CRITIQUE MARVEL!!!!"

*posts non-stop making GBS threads on Snyder/DC/WB*

(Latest WB/DC deserves all the poo poo tho for loving JL up)

Like, give me a loving break. The goddamn hypocrisy is off the charts.

are you okay. Do you need to talk to anyone?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Firstborn posted:

"[Thanos] has a more casual approach in this film, and it's very philosophical for him," explained Russo at San Diego Comic-Con. "It's part of his character definition. It's a spiritual journey for him to collect the Stones, and one with which he doesn't need armor. Once he starts acquiring the Stones, he doesn't need armor in the same way he did when he was a war lord. It's a very symbolic costume."

e: I just realized Thanos calls his gang "The Black Order"... that sounds pretty metal.

So basically instead of ending with Farmer Thanos they're going to start with Farmer Thanos.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

josh04 posted:

Stunning work.

I love this movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Firstborn posted:

So for his philosophical journey (of war) Thanos chooses to dress in a wife beater and khaki pants while leaving his head completely exposed and grape like

Sure you do you

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

josh04 posted:

And the split-diopter lens which lets in more light in return for having a second focal point, which the director fills with an incredibly distracting extra whenever possible. I've got the perfect example image around somewhere from the last time this came up but I can't find it right now.

In Return to Tomorrow (a like 700-page book by Preston Neal Jones which captures interviews from basically everyone involved in the movie, done at the time in 1978 / 79), both Kline and Wise full-out say the split-diopter use was a huge mistake, both because of the image quality--the "Vaseline on the lens" look--and because of the added shooting time (Shatner's contract, and then Nimoy's--because he settled his lawsuit with Paramount and signed for the movie right before shooting started and he told his agent "don't go bonkers for me, just get me whatever Shatner got"--both called for them to have some amount of creative control if shooting went past a certain time, I think three months).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They read the argument in the thread about why would Batman wear armor. And they were like "Why WOULD Thanos wear armor?" for the opposite reason.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Firstborn posted:

lmao. OK.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Honestly, JL had like 2 or 3 cool character moments in a movie full of mush, and every Avengers movie is the same way. I expect this to be no different.

stay woke

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

josh04 posted:

Does anyone know offhand why split diopters were so popular during this period of cinema? I know de Palma loved them and used them well but a lot of directors seemed to use them willy nilly just for the heck of it in the 70s.

Speaking of which if Winter Soldier really wanted to go for that 70s thriller style they should have used a ton of split diopter shots. Would have been a nice touch.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should get Frank Stallone to do the Marvel soundtracks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like seriously, he's wearing a wife beater and khakis.

Just, textured.

Also his head looks like a grape because Thanos has the most need for a helmet of any character in fiction.

Straight up, I loved Steppenwolf from BvS- insane metal alien demon is super my poo poo. Steppenwolf from Justice League just looked like some WoW refugee who was mostly unfinished.

Thanos is just some other kind of problem entirely.

Why not let him have robes or something, anything to get him some dignity?

They're literally dressing down their main threat and if that's not some kind of metaphor I don't know what is

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Firstborn posted:

Glad to see Man of Steel inspiring other movies.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Ghosthotel posted:

Bunch of peoples running in a CGI jungle. Cool????

Yes, this is very cool.

Infinity War trailer is dope and I'm appreciative that for now at least they're holding back a bit.

also: it's incredibly obvious that Thanos is rolling casually and will dramatically armor up when poo poo gets serious. Like, super obvious people. What's the complaint? They're not showing you everything up front?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Does anyone know offhand why split diopters were so popular during this period of cinema? I know de Palma loved them and used them well but a lot of directors seemed to use them willy nilly just for the heck of it in the 70s.

Film stocks resulting in weird lighting requirements, I believe.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shageletic posted:

are you okay. Do you need to talk to anyone?

:lol:

John Brown posted:

Why can’t you guys just be excited about a film we’ve waited a decade for?

Deakul posted:

Infinity War is going to own, bunch of jaded soulless wannabe film snobs itt

I guess we're all MAD ABOUT IT.

E: Also 2001 on Bluray is beautiful.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I would 1000% take this

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Uhhh, there's literally only one fantasy casting for someone to do the score to this dumb poo poo movie. The reanimated corpse of Basil Poledouris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me8jrklLK7A

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 29, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Firstborn posted:

Marvel's Cinematic Universe is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In each franchise installment you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the Marvel motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with the Avengers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

:lol:

I guess we're all MAD ABOUT IT.

E: Also 2001 on Bluray is beautiful.

You're the one who's actually mad. And the one who's always been actually mad about it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Give me a break. I don't have time to pour through endless posts all over JL, MoS and BvS (or Beavis as some posters use).

Again, how dare people criticize it, that is your post.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Give Avengers 4 to Kojima.

Turns out Thanos was actually the good guy all along.

and Steve Rogers' dad

and Tony Stark's dad

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rough Lobster posted:

also: it's incredibly obvious that Thanos is rolling casually and will dramatically armor up when poo poo gets serious. Like, super obvious people. What's the complaint? They're not showing you everything up front?

If we had never seen him in full before now, you'd have a point.

The problem is, we have seen Thanos in full three different times.

All three times, he's been in full golden gleaming armor. Like, every single time.

This is basically like if RoboCop rolled up as just a skeleton robot in some hypothetical 4th movie without commenting on why he looks so silly, and then at a dramatic moment he suddenly summons his armor from the first three movies like it's a big deal.

It's not a big deal. It's not a dramatic moment. It's the poo poo he has been wearing for his entire existence and it makes him look like something other than a big grape trying to rock a wife beater and khakis.

EDIT: At the VERY least give the fucker a hat, his head is ridiculous without one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Can't believe people who vocally criticize comic book movies they don't like are now pooh-poohing negative reaction to a superhero movie trailer.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone saying that Marvel films are uninspired or boring are just so invested in films like BvS that basic competence in movie making is seen as a strange and unsettling concept. Marvel actually gives a poo poo about character development and story, which is why they get good reviews and why people get excited for these films. Not the CGI.

I'm glad that we've finally settled that what makes Marvel movies good is that they 'care' and their character development gets critical.

Like in the latest movie, where Thor has developed to fit the same narcissistic snark mold as previous heroes.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I love Casual Biker Thanos

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If they gave Thanos some Timbs I would buy that explanation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Shoulda made his whole head wrinkly.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Whitey posted:

Watch a Criterion Kurosawa and have your mind changed

fwiw I literally watched yojimbo last night and this is correct, don't make apologies for poo poo movies

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

Give me a break. I don't have time to pour through endless posts all over JL, MoS and BvS (or Beavis as some posters use).

Again, how dare people criticize it, that is your post.
Okay.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I can't wait for Cap to pick up Mjolnir and use it against Thanos

oh wait, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Away all Goats posted:

I can't wait for Cap to pick up Mjolnir and use it against Thanos

Yeah, there's no way this doesn't happen.

• Locked thread