Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Vintersorg posted:

Is Thanos extremely powerful without the glove?

In the comics, even sans the glove he's strong enough that only the absolute strongest of earth's heroes (which definitely doesn't include Iron Man but sometimes includes Hulk, Carol Danvers at her maxed out limits, Monica Rambeau maybe) can even give him a workout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vintersorg posted:

He's no John Wick but yes

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He's no John Wick but yes

Gonna need a John Wick crossover.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The glove has more to do with crazy reality bending powers and less to do with super strength, he's got super strength already.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

I'm the same way as I enjoy both Marvel and DC films alike and will call out a lovely film when I see it from either studio. But I also like revelling in all the dumb fanboy antics on social media because it's fascinating. From what I've seen, it's not really hard to see why DC fandom gets so defensive when any moment they express their interest in a DC film or Zack Snyder or whatever, they're almost always immediately bombarded with poo poo like "dumb DC movies are for retards and no one likes them, look at the RT scores and critic reviews" or idiots (sometimes even critics) saying stuff like "Zack Snyder is a self hating jew, congrats on enjoying the work of an Ayn Rand fanatic."

Dunno if it's the same in comic book fandom, but the for the movies it's generally like that.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel, excellent post.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Guy A. Person posted:

I guess I don't see that as "hype" so much as just...predictions about a film you're excited to see. I am specifically addressing the "movie we've been waiting a decade for" sentiment. Waiting for what? To debate who is going to die (no cheating and googling whose contract is up)? To see even more people on screen together than in Civil War?

I mean, again, you have people in here acting like this is the second coming. I don't think its insecurity rather than bafflement at why these movies are considered "good movie making that you dorks aren't used to seeing".

I mean we knew the Infinity Gauntlet story was gonna come to head since they made it pretty obvious after IM was successful, I've been waiting to finally see how they are gonna handle this.

It's not a "oh my god, I can't even work or function in society properly and my life won't be complete until I see how Marvel ends this legendary and flawless franchise", but I am looking forward to see how they do this story they've been "building" to over the past decade.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Vintersorg posted:

In the comics, yeah, he's up there with guys like Hulk and Juggernaut and can also shoot energy beams and junk. But his intelligence, willpower, and technology are greater assets than his strength.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

In the comics, even sans the glove he's strong enough that only the absolute strongest of earth's heroes (which definitely doesn't include Iron Man but sometimes includes Hulk, Carol Danvers at her maxed out limits, Monica Rambeau maybe) can even give him a workout.

Oh yeah, and Dazzler. Dazzler can absolutely loving clown on Thanos someone post that page.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

For sure, I didn't mean to say it was entirely unjustified. Just something that came to mind when I read BotL's post about Thanos :v:

That was a general mockery of comic book writing, which has led people to praise the brilliance of the character who loves killing so much that it's literalized as him wanting to gently caress Lady Death.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Oh yeah, and Dazzler. Dazzler can absolutely loving clown on Thanos someone post that page.

Don't forget Squirrel Girl

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Vintersorg posted:

Thanos is incredibly strong (I suspect at or around Hulk levels in Infinity War since Hulk seems rather toned down in the MCU). He also has various other powers like laser beams and such, and is apparently a super genius too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That was a general mockery of comic book writing, which has led people to praise the brilliance of the character who loves killing so much that it's literalized as him wanting to gently caress Lady Death.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I don't know what I expected but the Infinity War trailer was kind of dull. I guess I was expecting the D23 Thanos destroying NYC with a moon goods but, alright, I guess.

Was that Loki trying to steal Vision's gem?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm here for "guy on your block who just got off work and is sitting on his stoop sipping a bootleg energy drink" Thanos

Yeah, I have a different opinion of it now.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
Thanos is the most strongest, most smartest and most evillest. His signature catchphrase is, "Heh, nothin personnell, kid."

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

In fact I'm hoping Hulk gets a little more amped up in this movie. He seems to have peaked strength wise in Avengers 1 and I'd like to see some absolutely bonkers feats of strength from the guy.

Serf
May 5, 2011

thanos being in love with literally death is silly af. i love it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dexo posted:

Don't forget Squirrel Girl

Hellcat, too! Who's even up with the Defenders on Netflix already.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, I have a different opinion of it now.

Stoop Thanos pairs nicely with Couch Darkseid.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the ego chad / the thanos virgin

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Thanos is the most strongest, most smartest and most evillest. His signature catchphrase is, "Heh, nothin personnell, kid."

He also hates himself and compulsively self-sabotages

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

teagone posted:

I'm the same way as I enjoy both Marvel and DC films alike and will call out a lovely film when I see it from either studio. But I also like revelling in all the dumb fanboy antics on social media because it's fascinating. From what I've seen, it's not really hard to see why DC fandom gets so defensive when any moment they express their interest in a DC film or Zack Snyder or whatever, they're almost always immediately bombarded with poo poo like "dumb DC movies are for retards and no one likes them, look at the RT scores and critic reviews" or idiots (sometimes even critics) saying stuff like "Zack Snyder is a self hating jew, congrats on enjoying the work of an Ayn Rand fanatic."

Dunno if it's the same in comic book fandom, but the for the movies it's generally like that.

The standom is perfectly lifted from the comic books. I couldn't care less, I quite liked Winter Soldier and First Avenger and was hyped as hell for Ant-Man, everything since then has been fallout.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I mean, he doesn't really love killing itself. It's pretty weird and I dont remember how his affection starts in the first place (near death experience?), but it's led to some good stories of Thanos tragicly abandoning any semblences of family and children he sometimes ends up with to try to earn the attention and respect of a god that doesn't even know he's there.

Basically purple Ahab in giving himself a futile and self-destructive quest. Grapehab

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Thanos wakes up every morning and takes great care to scrub each of his corrugated chin grooves with soap and hot water in the shower before he begins his day of villainy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I admit, I was a little more excited for the GotG interacting with the Avengers back before Thor 3 turned every Marvel super into quippy jokesters. But I still enjoyed the little tease at the end and if we get Rocket making fun of Iron Man and generally being a shithead to all the Earth based heroes it will probably be worth it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thor 3 just came out, how did it turn everything into anything?

Serf
May 5, 2011

thanos somehow doesn't look as good as the other iterations but i do love the weird chin ripples. his voice also sounds way less menacing than i remember

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I don't quite get it, are you trying to convince people that superhero comic writing is good?

Also nice hotlink

Neurolimal posted:

good stories of Thanos tragicly abandoning any semblences of family and children he sometimes ends up with to try to earn the attention and respect of a god that doesn't even know he's there.

You're trying to argue in favour of stories about a purple comic book spaceman called Thanatos who fucks up trying to please the Grim Reaper.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CelticPredator posted:

I enjoyed Thor 3 but it basically made every character into a funny joke man or woman. Like, a lot of it was funny but Thor seemed especially out of character for the sake of maximum joke time.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wish all Marvel movies were like Thor 3.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

they are

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

With a long middle sequence that serves as an extended homage to Attack of the Clones?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DrNutt posted:

I enjoyed Thor 3 but it basically made every character into a funny joke man or woman. Like, a lot of it was funny but Thor seemed especially out of character for the sake of maximum joke time.

Different directors take. Thor won't be that funny in Infinity War.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

You're trying to argue in favour of stories about a purple comic book spaceman called Thanatos who fucks up trying to please the Grim Reaper.

If you're trying to make the story sound uninteresting you're doing a bad job

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DrNutt posted:

Hemsworth is better at comedy than straight-faced drama, sorry.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rough Lobster posted:

Thanos wakes up every morning and takes great care to scrub each of his corrugated chin grooves with soap and hot water in the shower before he begins his day of villainy.

A Reality Stone does wonders for streamlining one's hygiene regimen.

*thinks of clean chin grooves*
*chin grooves become clean*

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CelticPredator posted:

Different directors take. Thor won't be that funny in Infinity War.

We can only hope that the movie is finished enough that suits can't go back and ask for extensive comedy reshoots as a result of how well received Ragnarok was.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I think the idea is that Thor and Hulk were two of the last hold outs who didn't have that kind of default irreverent, quippy personality. Possibly BP and Cap are still distinct from this tho.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Serf posted:

thanos somehow doesn't look as good as the other iterations but i do love the weird chin ripples. his voice also sounds way less menacing than i remember

I think it's because they didn't add any sort of modulation to Josh Brolin's voice, which they might have in GOTG.

This also makes me want Disney to complete the Fox buyout and then have Thanos meet Cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I don't quite get it, are you trying to convince people that superhero comic writing is good?

Also nice hotlink

When did I say I'm arguing in favor of it, or say it's good writing?

I think it's hilarious.

• Locked thread