Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cythereal posted:

Hemsworth is better at comedy than straight-faced drama, sorry.

Yeah but it works best when the comedy bounces off him rather than him just becoming another quipster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Good to see that Rhodey is totally healed from his major traumatic, impactful injury from Civil War.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i prefer the comedic parts, tbh. i remember seeing shane black's iron man 3 and thinking it was surprisingly funny, and the more they've embraced that the better the movies have been really

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

If you're trying to make the story sound uninteresting you're doing a bad job

Superhero comics are neither particularly good or interesting. Even the good ones (from the Silver Age) are mostly only good because they're so bad, like Superman marrying Jimmy Olsen to a sacred ape to resolve a sub-Saharan traffic jam.

Jim Starlin's comics about Thanos, on which the limited fame of the character rests, are just superhero comics.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chieves posted:

Good to see that Rhodey is totally healed from his major traumatic, impactful injury from Civil War.

Yes, people do recover from those.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Dexo posted:

Not everyone consumes a form of entertainment for the same reason?

Something can be "cool" without necessarily being good or great.

This is where I sit with it. I enjoy the hell out of most of the Marvel movies, though I'll readily admit they're not the most deftly made films. Other than Age of Ultron, there has been no Marvel film I've actively disliked, but again, none of them would be "OMG BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME." Anytime people in this thread are like "gently caress marvel movies are terrible because of X, Y, Z," I'll just shrug and still watch them. Yeah, the criticisms might be true, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment much at all.

Meanwhile, I don't give a gently caress about DC films mainly because I just don't give a gently caress about Batman/Superman as characters on a fundamental level. Though, I'd be there day one for a Batman Beyond film.

Serf
May 5, 2011

drat, wasn't rhodey walking around with some sort of legzoskeleton at the end of civil war? it pays to be friends with tony stark (except when it doesnt)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Serf posted:

i prefer the comedic parts, tbh. i remember seeing shane black's iron man 3 and thinking it was surprisingly funny, and the more they've embraced that the better the movies have been really

I like to laugh also, I'm just saying some of the Thor/Loki stuff seemed bizarrely out of character based on their previous characterization. Also the comedy stuff was great but also provided hella tonal whiplash when they kept cutting back to Asgard to show Hela brutally murdering the Warriors 3 and the rest of Asgard's army.

*wacky pratfalls*

*cuts to funny guy Zac Levi being brutally impaled without a word*

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Superhero comics are neither particularly good or interesting. Even the good ones (from the Silver Age) are mostly only good because they're so bad, like Superman marrying Jimmy Olsen to a sacred ape to resolve a sub-Saharan traffic jam.

Jim Starlin's comics about Thanos, on which the limited fame of the character rests, are just superhero comics.

ok

i'm more interested in that than a film about how a hero is jesus, but that's the cool thing about opinions, everyone's got them.

DrNutt posted:

We can only hope that the movie is finished enough that suits can't go back and ask for extensive comedy reshoots as a result of how well received Ragnarok was.

Now i'm curious; has any marvel film had the kind of Suicide Squad/JL style complete tonal reshoots against the director's vision? I know Ant-Man had some pretty heavy retooling, but that was because Pegg threw a fit about something and left it unfinished.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Neurolimal posted:

As someone with no real malice in either general direction, DC fans do give off a really powerful aura of insecurity.

So you're saying DC fans are modern day Sega fans?

Serf
May 5, 2011

poo poo man i got my foot cut off and i was walking around inside 2 months and that was 20 years ago. bet we get a tiny scene where rhodey complains about the thing's fit or a joke about a malfunction and that's it

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm here for "guy on your block who just got off work and is sitting on his stoop sipping a bootleg energy drink" Thanos

Urban legend about the kid who drank too much "Purple Power" and

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I've grown increasingly suspicious with the idea of "hate-watching," or "ironically liking," or "so bad it's good," over the years. If you find yourself drawn to something in spite of yourself you probably like it. Funnily enough this means I no longer accept the idea of a movie being "just" fun. A fun movie (like, for ex., Underworld 7 or whatever the one with the Norwegian ice vampires is) is good---it's just not all good movies are fun (The Black Stallion for ex., is the prettiest night-tonic for sleeping ever shot).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Serf posted:

poo poo man i got my foot cut off and i was walking around inside 2 months and that was 20 years ago. bet we get a tiny scene where rhodey complains about the thing's fit or a joke about a malfunction and that's it

My nipples!!
My knees!!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Chieves posted:

As Iron Man 3 showed, those suits work just fine even when unoccupied. Dude doesn't need working legs to be flown around by whatever AI is in control of his.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

i'm more interested in that than a film about how a hero is jesus

Finding purple space tyrants with badly written monologues more profound than Christianity is silly.

e: And just more proof that fandom is an attempt to replace religion with pop culture consumption.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 29, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Serf posted:

drat, wasn't rhodey walking around with some sort of legzoskeleton at the end of civil war? it pays to be friends with tony stark (except when it doesnt)

Rhodey might have trouble walking but War Machine wouldn't. It's the oldest Iron Man idea there is, that the person in the armour doesn't just want to wear it but is reliant on it somehow. Compared to what happened to Rhodey in the comics he got off light in the Civil War movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Neurolimal posted:

Now i'm curious; has any marvel film had the kind of Suicide Squad/JL style complete tonal reshoots against the director's vision? I know Ant-Man had some pretty heavy retooling, but that was because Pegg threw a fit about something and left it unfinished.

Marvel's thing seems to be shutting people out of final cut instead of tonal reshoots (Iron Man 2 might be a reshoot case though). Which explains why there was a shift to TV directors in Phase 2 or whatever.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Well that is what we call arrested development, where purple space tyrants with badly written monologues are considered as more profound than Christianity.

Someone with no ambitions of power becomes a tyrant? So what you're saying is we're going to get Citizen Kane in space? Cool.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

AndyElusive posted:

I liked how Ant-Man was in basically every scene in that trailer. You've just gotta squint to see him.

Real talk though, I don't know what's wrong with me because unlike almost every goon in this thread so far, I loved that trailer. I must be the target audience for this bullshit. Seeing that ensemble cast in a CGI cluster gently caress where no one but a handful of characters will get more than a few minutes of screen time must be entirely my poo poo.

:same: looks good to me.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

Someone with no ambitions of power becomes a tyrant? So what you're saying is we're going to get Citizen Kane in space? Cool.

Citizen Kane is a movie about a very ambitious man, who does not become a tyrant.

You've moved into the realm of fantasy and hallucination.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 29, 2017

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

dunno if it'll be worth paying to watch the whole thing for what i assume will be less than a minute of screen time of the winter soldier trying to kill superpowered aliens with standard issue assault rifles

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

idiots (sometimes even critics) saying stuff like "Zack Snyder is a self hating jew, congrats on enjoying the work of an Ayn Rand fanatic."

idk if I'd go for self-loathing jew but he definitely makes movies with really bad reactionary tones that right-wingers love to jerk themselves raw to, so???

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Fantasizing about people you don't like masturbating is a bit unhealthy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Citizen Kane is a man about a very ambitious man, who does not become a tyrant.

You've moved into the realm of fantasy and hallucination.

I think you're watching the wrong thing, because I'm pretty sure that Citizen Kane the film doesn't start with him having a desire to be powerful or in control, he starts off much more idealistic than that, and slowly alienates and drives off everyone else before attempting to exert control over others in his field, ultimately ending in him escaping the film so that he can bury it critically.

Citizen Kane the Man might be different though, I've never met him.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

wizard on a water slide posted:

idk if I'd go for self-loathing jew but he definitely makes movies with really bad reactionary tones that right-wingers love to jerk themselves raw to, so???

so you only saw 300

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
War Machine being up and around could also be Strange's work.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Brother Entropy posted:

so you only saw 300

I think its also a pretty fair way to look at man of steel and his take on watchmen

sucker punch isn't reactionary, but it doubles down on the jerking off part

edit: vv who's trying to convince you?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

I think its also a pretty fair way to look at man of steel and his take on watchmen

I'm not convinced.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Cythereal posted:

War Machine being up and around could also be Strange's work.

It will all be thanks to our good friend Tony Stank.

I personally am excited about it, it certainly built hype as the Marvel Machine does. Thanos looks loving weird though compared to how he's been portrayed in every instance before, from standard look to "Next time on Space COPS: Xandar, Hillbilly local gets into a domestic dispute, millions dead."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

man of steel is not even remotely regressive and sucker punch actively shits on you for wanting to jack off to it

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

I think you're watching the wrong thing, because I'm pretty sure that Citizen Kane the film doesn't start with him having a desire to be powerful or in control, he starts off much more idealistic than that, and slowly alienates and drives off everyone else before attempting to exert control over others in his field, ultimately ending in him escaping the film so that he can bury it critically.

Again, you're arguing for fantasy and hallucination. Kane acts based on his ambition to be independent and admired, and his idealism was always just a cover for his childishness.

Thanos is a spaceman who thinks killing is great and loves the Grim Reaper.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 29, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

David Fincher made Fight Club and those same idiots jerk their dicks to it, too, so what exactly does that prove?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People like jerkin it!!!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Again, you're arguing for fantasy and hallucination. Kane acts based on his ambition to be independent and admired, and his idealism was always just a cover for his childishness.

That seems a pessimistic take, but whatever strokes your goat.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Masturbate this, masturbate that. You guys are getting way too Lacanian for me.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

Citizen Kane is a movie about a flawed, unsatisfied man dying alone. It is, in fact, quite a pessimistic movie.

Hopefully we will see this happen to Tony Stark.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Come on y'all we have rules about this poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

People like jerkin it!!!

Finally we can agree on something!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neurolimal posted:

Hate to break it to you but the film CITIZEN KANE is a little bit cynical.

• Locked thread