Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

AriadneThread posted:

yeah, can we not do the pronoun slighting please

Pronoun slighting? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Max Wilco posted:

Pronoun slighting? :confused:

popular tactic to slight trans people is to use the wrong or gender-neutral pronouns, even after using the correct ones, often used when the person does something you don't like
because you know, acceptance of our identities is contingent on 'being good'

there's probably a legit term for it, i just made that one up for lack of better words

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

AriadneThread posted:

popular tactic to slight trans people is to use the wrong or gender-neutral pronouns, even after using the correct ones, often used when the person does something you don't like
because you know, acceptance of our identities is contingent on 'being good'

there's probably a legit term for it, i just made that one up for lack of better words

Is Trans Person the wrong thing to say?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Contra's more recent thread that's about talking to leftist critics is good as is the spacetwinks reply within

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/936343220572901376

https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/936345682423803912

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The internet loving sucks and it's not a place to build any movement.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Pirate Jenny posted:

This idea that most people espouse points of view on the Internet because they considered multiple, well-reasoned arguments, rather than because of that addictive rush of validation, is SO naïve.

Which is why the best way to persuade someone is to do it in a place where they aren’t surrounded by people who are reinforcing their current beliefs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pirate Jenny posted:

She explained realizing that she’d become too emotionally dependent on her audience, then explained “and this is why this whole situation is so hurtful to me”. It doesn’t matter whether she pulls out of the event or not—the damage is done. And to see people in this thread in effect blame her for “caring too much” it’s just… what? I’d expect that from the chans, fam. And, okay yeah, a few people in this thread, but on the whole? Christ, people, you’re better than that.
Personally, I’ve never been anything close to Natalie’s position, because I’m a paranoid, hateful ogre who has never trusted my audience, and am fairly certain that one of these innocent fanboys who tweets at me regularly is going to kill and eat me one day. However, I do believe that Natalie’s circumstance of suddenly realizing that you’d turned your audience into an emotional support surrogate megafriend is not only going to become more and more common, but that it’s incredibly relevant outside of one YouTuber’s mistake. It’s why centrists who “just want to ask questions” about gender and race go full fash when their audience turns on them when they start showing "SJW tendencies" like... I dunno, conceding that the holocaust happened. They lean into those fashy points of view because they crave that addictive validation of that hive mind megafriend. It’s why Blaire White shits on her own community so flagrantly—it’s just so nice to be one of the good ones. I’m not like those other girls, one of the good ones.

This idea that most people espouse points of view on the Internet because they considered multiple, well-reasoned arguments, rather than because of that addictive rush of validation, is SO naïve. This new crop of content creators develop content based on what nets them the most and consistent positive attention from their emotional support megafriend, not the other way around. I’m proud that Natalie at least realized this rather than falling down the rabbit hole of other, dumber YouTubers. I’m disappointed that this point is being willfully missed so we can in effect blame her for having a genuine emotional reaction.

Yeah, that aspect of her response I perfectly understand. Even as not a Youtube personality or frankly an interesting or notable person I've found myself making the mistake of treating people I interact with on the internet as a member of a forum or an IRC channel or whatever as "friends" or at the very least people whose validation I crave, and that's emotionally damaging in the long run no matter how you cut it. It's probably for the best for her to take a step back and see how to separate her personal journey from what she wants to present and do online, and how she wants to or doesn't want to interact with fans. Maybe some day she'll feel up for a post-mortem with you, HBomb, etc, because it seems to touch on some of the issues you all brought up in that big Skype group chat thing a few months ago, which raised some questions about how much of oneself is in one's persona and how much of oneself ones should be putting out there.

What I love about your own work, aside from the high quality of the research and the insight you bring to pieces of media I don't care about in themselves, is that there is an underlying personal aspect to it, that really comes out on occasion. Your GotG II video is a really good example of this. But somehow you do manage to protect yourself, I guess by keeping the fans at arms length and heavily structuring the way you take feedback? Whatever it is, I hope you keep at it!

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Even as not a Youtube personality or frankly an interesting or notable person I've found myself making the mistake of treating people I interact with on the internet as a member of a forum or an IRC channel or whatever as "friends" or at the very least people whose validation I crave, and that's emotionally damaging in the long run no matter how you cut it.

No, that seems very, very different, unless you're not saying that whole nonsense about social relationships on the internet being fundamentally nonexistent and I'm just misreading you. There's a huge difference between actually being friends with people you spend time with online as equals or peers in direct social situations and the sort of relationship that exists between a person who can be described in any sense or scale as a public figure and their fanbase, and the issues that Contra is dealing with aren't unique to the Internet in that regard either. Any situation where someone in her position gets that kind of emotional reliance on their audience or fanbase would end up in the same state, Internet or not. The Internet doesn't cause that, it just facilitates it, like it does literally any kind of social interaction, positive or negative.

I'm pretty sure that essentially every reputable psychiatrist or therapist working today would agree that no, social relationships online aren't innately and unavoidably emotionally damaging in the long run in every form, or even a majority of them.

Idran fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 1, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Idran posted:

No, that seems very, very different, unless you're not saying that whole nonsense about social relationships on the internet being fundamentally nonexistent and I'm just misreading you. There's a huge difference between actually being friends with people you spend time with online as equals or peers in direct social situations and the sort of relationship that exists between a person who can be described in any sense or scale as a public figure and their fanbase, and the issues that Contra is dealing with aren't unique to the Internet in that regard either. Any situation where someone in her position gets that kind of emotional reliance on their audience or fanbase would end up in the same state, Internet or not. The Internet doesn't cause that, it just facilitates it, like it does literally any kind of social interaction, positive or negative.

I'm pretty sure that essentially every reputable psychiatrist or therapist working today would agree that no, social relationships online aren't innately and unavoidably emotionally damaging in the long run in every form, or even a majority of them.

Not every hypothetical online relationship but most forums or mass-based "relationships", namely the ones you have with people you talk to on a forum or an IRC channel or Discord channel or whatever are like this. Everybody is ultimately a performance artist on some level, and that's how you find people in a Something Awful subforum about podcasts starting to have these year-long grudges with each other, because they've each created a brand of the other, and taking it personally can be very damaging to the people involved. A certain level of separation is the only way to protect yourself. And it's even worse in any forums that actually deal with controversial topics, like D&D, or other political forums I've been on in the past. There is a certain urge to feel like you're part of a community, but you find yourself sharing things that would make more sense to share with actual friends in a limited capacity in a channel or thread and then people will attack you for it as if they're entitled to, because it's been done in public and everything's fair game.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

echopapa posted:

Which is why the best way to persuade someone is to do it in a place where they aren’t surrounded by people who are reinforcing their current beliefs.

So we need an Inception machine to invade their nightmares. Get to work, everyone.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Everybody is ultimately a performance artist on some level

This is a very sad mentality to have.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Why don't you have adblock on?

I accidentally visited the site once in a different browser and holy loving poo poo.

Otherwise I have the usual suite of protection, and a userscript for CuriousCat; it just polls the API to get the question and answer, and runs nothing else on the page. It's so nice having a nice, quiet, calm UI to read.

The userscript USED to just pull the question and answer from the META tags in the page header, but I guess the fucknuts who run the site finally realized it isn't 1998 anymore, and META tags don't actually do anything, so they removed them.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

poparena posted:

And you'd make a connection, man! From a bond over those loving Thundercats.

BIONIC SIX or gently caress off and die in a fire, you choad.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Pirate Jenny posted:

I promised myself I’d never discuss anime again and I’m about to fall back down that rabbit hole next month, so I’m breaking all sorts of promises to myself.

THERE'S A PHANTOM OF THE OPERA ANIME!??!?!??!

Pirate Jenny posted:

everything else

+1

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

I only said the comment to wind Lorne Kates up. I didnt mean any intent to insult you.

And yet, all you ended up doing is being a creepy perv in public and insulting Allison.

So you know, next time you want to make a joke like that-- don't.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WampaLord posted:

This is a very sad mentality to have.

It's a mentality that fits my experience on the internet, and I've been in forums, IRC channels, etc, since the mid-90s. Why are there GBS superstars? Why do people here have posting brands? An internet forum is way more like an agora or an 18th-century city square, or an 18th-century theater production (guess what I've read lately?) than it is a community of friends. And the distance just makes people's reactions more extreme, even without the anonymity.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's a mentality that fits my experience on the internet, and I've been in forums, IRC channels, etc, since the mid-90s. Why are there GBS superstars? Why do people here have posting brands? An internet forum is way more like an agora or an 18th-century city square, or an 18th-century theater production (guess what I've read lately?) than it is a community of friends. And the distance just makes people's reactions more extreme, even without the anonymity.

Yea, but there are also people who just post normally and talk normally in voice chat and don't have an "internet persona"

I've been online just as long as you and in my experience the "GBS superstar" type are the minority, most people just post as themselves.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah I’m in a chat with old internet friends and we mostly just talk about work and college sucking, like most adult friends.

Not every poster has a gimmick. Which is probably for the best because gimmick posting sucks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WampaLord posted:

Yea, but there are also people who just post normally and talk normally in voice chat and don't have an "internet persona"

I've been online just as long as you and in my experience the "GBS superstar" type are the minority, most people just post as themselves.

Yeah, and that comes from either self-censoring significantly or limiting your online community to a very small selection. Which isn't the case when you're seriousposting in D&D.

Or, I don't know, maybe I'm the brokebrained one, and the internet is fine. :shrug:

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

lornekates posted:

And yet, all you ended up doing is being a creepy perv in public and insulting Allison.

So you know, next time you want to make a joke like that-- don't.

Screw you for calling me a creepy perv and bringing Allison into it. It was a joke designed to wind you up you sanctimonious stick in the mud, it wasnt meant as to hurt anyone.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Screw you for calling me a creepy perv and bringing Allison into it. It was a joke designed to wind you up you sanctimonious stick in the mud, it wasnt meant as to hurt anyone.

And yet you performed this in public, and it is judged as a public act. :shrug:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, and that comes from either self-censoring significantly or limiting your online community to a very small selection. Which isn't the case when you're seriousposting in D&D.

Or, I don't know, maybe I'm the brokebrained one, and the internet is fine. :shrug:

I think the issue is more that online, throwing out gimmicky persona people, the line between acquaintances and friend can be a bit blurred because of these giant shared discussions. I have online friends who I would go to (in a private chat) if things got tough, but it's not the same as a big support thread which you need to be careful about. This isn't alien in real life either, like you may become friends with some regulars at your bar or your hair stylist or whatever, but just because you converse a lot in limited contexts doesn't make them your friend. The internet just magnifies that because suddenly you're interacting with a lot of people right on that line where you maybe could become friends but aren't quite.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And yet you performed this in public, and it is judged as a public act. :shrug:

I'm sorry for the joke and any hurt feelings caused by it. I don't know what else I can say.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I think the issue is more that online, throwing out gimmicky persona people, the line between acquaintances and friend can be a bit blurred because of these giant shared discussions. I have online friends who I would go to (in a private chat) if things got tough, but it's not the same as a big support thread which you need to be careful about. This isn't alien in real life either, like you may become friends with some regulars at your bar or your hair stylist or whatever, but just because you converse a lot in limited contexts doesn't make them your friend. The internet just magnifies that because suddenly you're interacting with a lot of people right on that line where you maybe could become friends but aren't quite.

Yeah, there's a more intuitive filter that most people would activate when interacting with people in real life that just goes out the window (at least for brokebrained me!) when it's text on the screen. But some aspects of emotional involvement are there, even magnified, maybe because of this very lack of filter.

I'm sorry for the joke and any hurt feelings caused by it. I don't know what else I can say.

I was kind of jumping off of what you were saying to further illustrate my point. :shobon:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah i'm totally sure mr field marshall is very sincere about all this apologizing

I thought the precursors to GamerGate was outlets like Polygon and Kotaku becoming so regressive leftist in content and 4chan taking a hard turn to the right and /pol/ egging /v/ on with daily Kotaku hate threads and other bait threads

loving white people :barf:

god they deserve to be put in camps

You know what?

gently caress all white straight nerds!

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Alaois posted:

yeah i'm totally sure mr field marshall is very sincere about all this apologizing

That first post is true. Stormfront lead a campaign to subvert 4chan to become far right by taking over the old news board and spread its cancer from there. It took a real hard shift around 2011/2012.

There was daily threads about Kotaku/Polygon articles on the videogames boards where the far right anon would egg on the average poster and start a process of redpilling them with infographics and memes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alaois posted:

And you are further illustrating my point. Where in an actual, real-life community of friends would you dig up the entirety of someone's speaking history? Half of it is that it would be technically difficult, as opposed to just doing a search of past posts, the other is that people would wonder what the matter is with you. IFM, meanwhile, would just probably have not been invited over again after the first transgression, assuming in person he seemed insincere or an rear end in a top hat, not just by the text of what he would be saying. You wouldn't need to complain to a mod and hope that he be banned, or dig up the history to try and shame him away from continuing to post or one-up him or whatever.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And you are further illustrating my point. Where in an actual, real-life community of friends would you dig up the entirety of someone's speaking history? Half of it is that it would be technically difficult, as opposed to just doing a search of past posts, the other is that people would wonder what the matter is with you. IFM, meanwhile, would just probably have not been invited over again after the first transgression, assuming in person he seemed insincere or an rear end in a top hat, not just by the text of what he would be saying. You wouldn't need to complain to a mod and hope that he be banned, or dig up the history to try and shame him away from continuing to post or one-up him or whatever.

The problem is that Real Life has consequences when you act like a jerk to people to get a rise out of them while on the Internet you just get banned if you annoy people too much. You guys take the internet way too seriously.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

lornekates posted:

So you know, next time you want to make a joke like that post-- don't.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
i can't tell who is being sincere and who isn't anymore

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Digging up a post history would be having a memory in the real world, much like it is online. The trade offs of the different mediums, if you will, make the memory of events different. In person the memory would be more vivid to account for the fleeting nature of it whereas online the memory would be vague because of the long lasting assurance

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Much like BotL, Intrinsic Field Marshal exists only to cause annoying derails, and should probably just be on everyone's ignore list.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

And because the second one of those people pisses you off, you can afford to block them and replace them with someone else, who shares every one of your opinions, including the ones that probably shouldn’t get reinforced.

I spent a few years living on a flyspeck island where I had no choice but to make friends with people who were very different from me. It probably contributed more to my maturity than anything else I’ve ever done.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

echopapa posted:

And because the second one of those people pisses you off, you can afford to block them and replace them with someone else, who shares every one of your opinions, including the ones that probably shouldn’t get reinforced.

I spent a few years living on a flyspeck island where I had no choice but to make friends with people who were very different from me. It probably contributed more to my maturity than anything else I’ve ever done.

How did you get your post?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

Much like BotL, Intrinsic Field Marshal exists only to cause annoying derails, and should probably just be on everyone's ignore list.

Yeah, if your ignore list doesn't include Intrinsic Field Marshal, BravestOfTheLamps, Junior Jr., and MisterBibs (at the very last) while browsing this thread, you're doing it wrong.

Although BotLs has been soft-banned from C&D and BSS so this thread is basically one of their last in an ever-shrinking number of places they're "welcome" on the forums before they finally just get banned, so posting here is literally all they have left.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 1, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnJBoHVdihg

Errant Signal takes a swing at tackling the issues brought up in Wolfenstein New Colossus.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
CaptainDisillusion gave a talk about how to be a skeptic without being an rear end in a top hat at Skepticon Australia. The recording of it went up on youtube today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqfWm6z84t0

He made an incredibly mild defense of Anita Sarkeesian, so of course the comments are garbage.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

LibrarianCroaker posted:

youtube ... comments

People still read those?

Youtube still HAS those?

Instead of making "ad safe" algo-bots, why doesn't Youtube just turn off comments site-wide. That'd fix things way better.-

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Although BotLs has been soft-banned from C&D and BSS so this thread is basically one of their last in an ever-shrinking number of places they're "welcome" on the forums before they finally just get banned, so posting here is literally all they have left.

When did these things happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Andrast posted:

When did these things happen?

GonSmithe kicked them out of Cinema Discusso a while back and X-O pretty much did the same in Batman's Shameful Secret earlier this month for their non-stop shitheadery in the Webcomics thread.

• Locked thread