Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Strange has done it in he comics, I'd be surprised if he didn't do it here.

Like literally reforge it or Eye of Aggamoto(sp?) time fuckery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They should try hiring some video game composers.

Like somebody let Yasunori Mitsuda do a movie score please

They did, it was called Xenosaga Episode I.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jimbot posted:

The Holy Mountain is a real good film. It's loving weird but I guarantee that you'll remember it forever. It has extremely striking imagery.
I love Zack Snyder because he is, among other things, the closest you're going to get to Jodorowsky in a blockbuster superhero film.

Neurolimal posted:

Also if we're going to talk about intellectual value Ta-Nahisi Coates is involved in its production, and he's one of the most prominent black intellectuals and pundits around, and specializes in systematic oppression and the impact of capital in continuing it.
Wait, why isn't the movie titled Black Panther Bodies?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 1, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Charlz Guybon posted:

Civil War in the comics was a travesty, the movie, whatever it's faults, was a signficant improvement.

Preposterous.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Seriously. The big "final battle" between Cap, Iron Man and Winter Soldier being over Iron Man's mom was hilarious, particularly in a year in which BvS also came out; beyond that, holy poo poo it's an ugly movie, and I'll give Sebastian Stan credit, he's doing his very best, but he's not a very good actor.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked that it wasn't really a big battle but a small scale Punch fest between 3 people. The only part I didn't care for was when it went up into the silo and all that CGI poo poo kept happening. But otherwise I loved that finale a ton.

I might watch Civil War again. I quite like it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Civil War also didn't have the consequences of Captain America's surrender and death nor the monstrous ends the heroes go to consume themselves. Millar's series itself is bombastic but what really made it was Bendis' aftermath, The Confession. If it wasn't for that I'm not quite sure if it was as landmark outside of novelty. That added gravity it needed.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I thought Civil War was sort of lacking in the big sense but it really completed Cap's character arc in that he goes from idealistic and naive about the nation's intentions and purpose to actively acting out against and pursuing his own sense of justice.

nothing tops Winter Soldier though, that's probably still the best Marvel movie imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpvwMLHdUE

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LesterGroans posted:

I really liked War, but yes, it's the weakest of the three. The third act is just way too long and turning it into a The Great Escape movie at that point seems excessive. I was happy with western/revenge picture pastiche they had going.

I liked War because it felt like the director was putting his heart on his sleeve, going for broke instead of settling for a straightforward story.

The MSJ posted:

WB video game division is probably more open to it since they had Shelob from Middle Earth became a woman wearing evening wear but no shoes.

edit:
In an unrelated news, the new Hellboy will be released on 11 January 2019.

Planning to dump it already?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Seriously. The big "final battle" between Cap, Iron Man and Winter Soldier being over Iron Man's mom was hilarious, particularly in a year in which BvS also came out; beyond that, holy poo poo it's an ugly movie, and I'll give Sebastian Stan credit, he's doing his very best, but he's not a very good actor.

The comic also has some seriously off the wall ideas, the movie wouldn't inspire a walk around the block.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He also had his horned helmet during the invasion of New York until Hawkeye shoots him off his skysled and he takes a tumble.

I love this scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtZnRZAm-h4

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Woof.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That scene is funny.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
He's very fortunate to have landed on the Stark tower.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tony was a fascist loon who opened concentration camps in the comics. Cap was assassinated. The comic was terrible on just about every level.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Charlz Guybon posted:

Tony was a fascist loon who opened concentration camps in the comics. Cap was assassinated. The comic was terrible on just about every level.

This makes it sound rad. At least it's people doing stuff, which is more than I can say for Civil War.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

That scene is funny.

So are most scenes with Loki in them in that movie.

Which is kind of the problem, since most of the scenes are exactly that - him getting pie-faced at every turn. And he's the villain of the movie. He somehow goes from the conniving and manipulative and brilliant trickster (who might even have ice giant powers!) of Thor, to a guy who might as well have Three Stooges noises mixed into most of his interactions in Avengers.

It'd be like if Darth Vader kept on bumping into walls and tripping on his cape throughout all of Empire.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

porfiria posted:

This makes it sound rad. At least it's people doing stuff, which is more than I can say for Civil War.

Civil War also featured Sharon Carter being hypnotized into thinking she suffered an abortion after being stabbed by the Red Skulls daughter! The Red Skulls daughter also had been sciencemagically aged from a little girl into a fully formed adult and was brainwashed by Crossbones. Rad as gently caress, right?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rough Lobster posted:

Civil War also featured Sharon Carter being hypnotized into thinking she suffered an abortion after being stabbed by the Red Skulls daughter! The Red Skulls daughter also had been sciencemagically aged from a little girl into a fully formed adult and was brainwashed by Crossbones. Rad as gently caress, right?

Yes.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Rough Lobster posted:

I mean, for sure it's probably much more fun to read about this stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's probably for the best that comic book movies are only nominally like comic books.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RBA Starblade posted:

It's probably for the best that comic book movies are only nominally like comic books.

Age of Ultron managed to be nothing like Age of Ultron except in terms of quality.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Obviously translating some of the crazier rear end moments of major company crossovers would be impossible. I'm pretty sure the Sharon Carter stuff didn't take place in the main CW comic and wasn't an iconic part anyway.

I don't even mind them stealing iconic titles for their movies even if they don't have poo poo to do with any of them. But CW specifically tried to take the "arguments over registration leads to a war between the super heroes" premise and watered it way down and muddled it up with the Bucky storyline and it was kind of a wasted opportunity.

You had one big fight that was half misunderstanding, half heroes refusing to solve their problems with anything but their fists and then a separate Cap/Iron Man fight which didn't even have anything to do with that stuff anyway. There was never a sense during the airport fight that any of these guys' hearts were really in it or that sides were clearly and passionately defined (outside of maybe one semi-heated argument between Rhodes and Wilson) and there was a sense that anyone could just stop fighting or switch sides at any moment...then that happened. The Iron Man/Cap/Bucky fight at least seemed like Tony was shooting to kill but this wasn't in any way connected to the previous fight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Cameo posted:

Which is kind of the problem, since most of the scenes are exactly that - him getting pie-faced at every turn. And he's the villain of the movie. He somehow goes from the conniving and manipulative and brilliant trickster (who might even have ice giant powers!) of Thor, to a guy who might as well have Three Stooges noises mixed into most of his interactions in Avengers.

It'd be like if Darth Vader kept on bumping into walls and tripping on his cape throughout all of Empire.

I guess I don't see it this way. Loki never came off as a true danger by himself because he was always the product of a hosed up past. He ends up betraying those around him and makes things worse by acting out. He himself isn't scary but his actions and motivations are.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Cameo posted:

What CelticPredator Said in response, but also Loki is working for Thanos due to torture or something from memory, he isn't actively choosing it's just this is what he has to do because he landed in Thanos' home after Thor.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, the first trailer for that Batman Ninja film is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wId8XY6y_HA

:catdrugs:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lord_Magmar posted:

What CelticPredator Said in response, but also Loki is working for Thanos due to torture or something from memory, he isn't actively choosing it's just this is what he has to do because he landed in Thanos' home after Thor.

I felt like he wanted Thanos to help him lay down some vengeance on his brother for choosing Earth over him, but he didn't really know who Thanos was, and how controlling and manipulating he could be. At least that's what I remembered. I could be wrong. It's been a bit since I've seen The Avengers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The moment he said Bat-Mobile and it showed him gearing up only to hop on a horse pulling a tiny cart was the moment where I had to watch this.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't know if I've seen a more appropriate use of that emoji.

drat, that was anime as gently caress!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate it. I also hate anime.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Anyways, looks like Infinity War might crack the 2 billion dollar mark. It crushed the record for trailer views in 24 hours with 230 million. Previous highs were IT with 197 million and Fate of the Furious with 137 million.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That looks like balls.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I hate it. I also hate anime.

How about Batman: Gotham by Gaslight
Rated R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7FuOmlAO1k

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That looks even worse.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

The Cameo posted:

I think it's worth pointing out that like, basically every character except maybe Tony is the clowniest version of themselves in the Avengers movies. Captain America is always like, this dork, Loki lost like 40 IQ points, etc.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Another trailer for Batman Ninja, this time subbed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF031DwMffQ

The DC logo animation is pretty cool.

EDIT:

Main Visual

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 1, 2017

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

He lands on Thanos' rock, evidently never meets Thanos (there is a stairway that leads up, presumably, to the throne that we see in Guardians, but Loki only looks at it and tries to peek up to the top only for the Chitauri to get in his face) but is given the scepter that has one of the Infinity Gems in it, and then is cast back to earth to get the Tesseract and open the door for the Chitauri to come invade. There are some vague threats about not being able to hide and experiencing true pain if Loki fucks up, but that's basically the gist of what ends up being a five minute scene that reiterates that Loki in this movie is just an evil Simba who just can't wait to be king.

CelticPredator posted:

I guess I don't see it this way. Loki never came off as a true danger by himself because he was always the product of a hosed up past. He ends up betraying those around him and makes things worse by acting out. He himself isn't scary but his actions and motivations are.

The problem is that this characterization isn't even in The Avengers. You're describing Loki as he's depicted in the Thor movies. Whedon just inserts him as a Saturday morning villain whose most major threatening moments is killing an old guy in an art gallery and stabbing Coulson in the back (which is then neutered by him monologuing and a dying Coulson still shooting him successfully).

If someone were to walk into The Avengers having not seen Thor, all you'd know about Loki is that he says he was king of Asgard, he fell on a rock in space, got a scepter, has to get a MacGuffin, and he wears a pointy hat and his brother is Thor and Thor wants to bring him home, but not for Loki to be king, which is what Loki wants. Also Loki's pissy that Thor likes Earth better than him. He's smarter than Thor, but so is everyone else, including the guy who turns into a rage monster. The scepter is more of a successful villain than he is. Like, it gets past the basic "this is a character" checklist, but a villain is supposed to be a fundamental part of a story, particularly the sort of fables that superhero stories fit into the lineage of. Having an inherent advantage over the heroes of the story - a mountain, physical or mental, over which the heroes must scale and learn more about themselves in the process of doing - is an aspect of these stories. Smaug is old and wise and the one of the biggest creatures in the land, compared to Bilbo, who is young, foolhardy, and one of the tiniest. Boddicker has networked himself into OCP's executive suite by doing the dirty work to keep those executives' hands clean legally - which he is able to use to push back against Robocop, who was programmed by OCP to uphold the law.

Loki has a stick that I guess mind controls normal people, makes superhero people get angry easier, shoots blue rays, and opens interdimensional portals that let him access a lot of cannon fodder.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Why are people so obsessed with Chris Evans hair (or lack thereof?)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Yaws posted:

Why are people so obsessed with Chris Evans hair (or lack thereof?)

Bald(ing) Captain America is funny.

Also yeah that post by The Cameo awakened a lot of sleeping memories in me. For a long time what I say to people has been well, when I watched Avengers I remember that I had a good time, but like two days later I found to my surprise I could barely recollect any scenes in particular from the movie---it was the first sign I'd been duped by a carnival ride posing as a movie film. Now that I think about it though I was always pissed with the way that movie handled Loki----like, it wasn't bad enough to make him a yutz, and give him some warmed-over monologue that should have went to The Operative in Serenity, you throw in that line where he calls Black Widow a oval office (that's what "quim" means IYDK) because sure, he's evil so he's probably a misogynist, why not. Like what a total demolition of a character. Good on Thor 2 (and I kinda shat on it earlier today) for completely ignoring that crossover garbage.

e: here SMG would probably say, "the idea that a movie 'duped' you is stupid. You're not thinking hard enough or being self-serving."

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Timby posted:

Seriously. The big "final battle" between Cap, Iron Man and Winter Soldier being over Iron Man's mom was hilarious

It's the most convincing fight in any Marvel movie. Two work colleagues are finally given the excuses they need to unleash years of bottled up resentment on each other.

• Locked thread