Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress me running, that's a mid-WW2 design.

That's like finding out the Danes are still running Type IX U-Boats.

American designs were a lot nicer for crew spaces than German ones though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Looks like the FREMM is already out. So the contest is between the Dutch design and the LockMart/BAE one hahahahah what contest

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Looks like the FREMM is already out. So the contest is between the Dutch design and the LockMart/BAE one hahahahah what contest

I mean Alion has proven, quite successful design history in the shipbuilding arena, I'd be surprised if they didn't get the nod.

I hope Alion wins because gently caress LockMart.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

orange juche posted:

I mean Alion has proven, quite successful design history in the shipbuilding arena, I'd be surprised if they didn't get the nod.

I hope Alion wins because gently caress LockMart.

Oh my poor summer child, you don't seem to get how Canadian procurement works.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MohawkSatan posted:

Oh my poor summer child, you don't seem to get how Canadian procurement works.

It works a lot like US procurement, where whomever is the defense contractor who can stuff the most money into politicians pockets gets the contract, right?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

orange juche posted:

It works a lot like US procurement, where whomever is the defense contractor who can stuff the most money into politicians pockets gets the contract, right?

Even more than that it works by the new government of the day promising to undo the “wasteful spending” of the previous government, cancelling contracts and paying the cancellation fees.

And then the new government gets enough pressure to actually buy some new poo poo (often the same stuff from the previous vendor at additional cost) and they set that in motion only to get voted out in the next election and the process repeats itself in an infinite loop of waste and stupidity.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
IMO the Type 26 will win because it's an unproven paper design that only exists as CGI and PowerPoint. So it does not have any known drawback, and its specs are defined entirely by the promises LockMart wants to make (knowing they won't have to bother keeping them).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

Based on the previous 48 hours, living under the Danelaw again would come as a blessed relief.

I mean it would keep us (well the good us gently caress the South) in the single market.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Russia just got banned from the winter Olympics.

Don't worry they'll still compete in the 2020 election.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 7, 2017

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Holy poo poo, only tangentially related but it's a bit Cold War 2.0 so whatever:

Russia just got banned from the winter Olympics. Any Russian athletes who want to compete in S. Korea will have to be tested clean and compete under the Olympic flag. You know, the same way refugees do.

I doubt the NHL will allow their players to compete, but this should result in a US/Canada gold medal game for hockey. I want to see another Triple Gold- winning player.

Hockeychat!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Duckboat posted:

I doubt the NHL will allow their players to compete, but this should result in a US/Canada gold medal game for hockey. I want to see another Triple Gold- winning player.

Hockeychat!

The NHL already said they aren't participating in the 2018 games.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Guest2553 posted:

Lmao god drat

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Guest2553 posted:

:perfect:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Random airpower picture

Sorry, just to go back to this for a second:

Would this result in a bajillion S&R sorties being launched for the missing panel to stop RAM from winding up in The Wrong Hands?

504 posted:

Lets say some potentially apocalyptic event happened in a major city, say LA, and the only way to save the country was to utterly devastate a good sized area immediately.

The "rules"

It has to be N O W!!
Non nuclear
Chemical weapons are ok if its quicker
COMPLETE removal of life is required, no consideration for civilians caught in the area, the size of a few city blocks but rapidly expanding.

2020 campaign already considering ways to correct the popular vote?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

evil_bunnY posted:

the no limits freediving world record is about 200m.

Was he pulled down by surprise with no training?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

IPCRESS posted:

Sorry, just to go back to this for a second:

Would this result in a bajillion S&R sorties being launched for the missing panel to stop RAM from winding up in The Wrong Hands?

That's not the kind of things that you can realistically hope to find. Especially since it was lost over the ocean.

Besides, the cat has been out of the bag since an F-117 got shot down. Sure, there's been improvements in RAM technology since then, but the basic principles remain the same.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Top Gun 2: Aggressor squadron still rocking A-4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmutFmfB0q4

That's probably ATAC. They bring Kfirs here to play with Top Gun. VFC-13 and I think one other Navy squadron flies F-5s, too.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

howe_sam posted:

The NHL already said they aren't participating in the 2018 games.

Well dammit.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Godholio posted:

That's probably ATAC. They bring Kfirs here to play with Top Gun. VFC-13 and I think one other Navy squadron flies F-5s, too.

The other outfit with A-4s is called Draken International, they had one on static display at the Nellis airshow last year.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
:staredog:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=294_1512586004

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That's every time I played DCS with a cyber-ace who had a good joystick setup.

"I'm at your 4"

*Looks right with TrackIR* OH GOD!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

StandardVC10 posted:

The other outfit with A-4s is called Draken International, they had one on static display at the Nellis airshow last year.

Yeah, they're probably Draken - Nellis is hosting an exercise right now that involves lots of A-4's getting slain by Raptors.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Hopefully they do this more often so we can look forward to "Unruly stolen cow" being the actual reason for a MiG-35 loss.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Looks like the crew just got out of prison and didn’t have time to change.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

StandardVC10 posted:

Completely forgot about them.

IPCRESS posted:

Hopefully they do this more often so we can look forward to "Unruly stolen cow" being the actual reason for a MiG-35 loss.

:lol:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

feedmegin posted:

I mean it would keep us (well the good us gently caress the South) in the single market.

Counterpoint. I for one would like to remind our new Danish Overlords we keep all our most portable loot in the South (especially the London Museums) and to bear that in mind when choosing where to implement their glorious new regime.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 7, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Was he pulled down by surprise with no training?
The point's that it's physiologically quite doable. Getting pulled on an underwater roller-coaster is a different experience entirely, obviously.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Deptfordx posted:

Counterpoint. I for one would like to remind our new Danish Overlords we keep all our most portable loot in the South (especially the London Museums) and to bear that in mind when choosing where to implement their glorious new regime.

Good point.

It's portable so you can have the loot without the ballache of having to deal with southerners.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I suppose there's also a factor of how long you're at a pressure/without air etc

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When you see a bear, stop, drop, and roll.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

*cough*bullshit*cough*

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Phanatic posted:

*cough*bullshit*cough*

an inverted negative 3g dive !?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Seal clubbing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmutFmfB0q4

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Phanatic posted:

*cough*bullshit*cough*

In cockpit footage
https://gph.is/2d5vhS7

Edit I have no idea how to embed Giphy sorry

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
SPEAKING OF RUSSIA
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=294_1512586004

E:efb :/

JcDent fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 7, 2017

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Yes, speaking of Russia because someone already beat you to posting that video. Well done.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nyettttttt!!!!!

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

THE HAT TRICK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBke6O_bSHs&t=1532s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Can't Kill Enough to Win? Think Again

The Battle of The Somme was cool and good, and should serve as a template for COIN operations in the middle east. Also, My Lai is underappreciated as a tactical victory.