Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I learned the other night you can say "Academy Award winner The Wolfman (2010)"

Unless that's directed at the unrated cut and the award was "Getting hosed In The rear end By The Studio The Hardest"

Never did something deserve a victory less than this

in movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So principal filming on this wrapped in October .... who wants to lay odds on how much reshooting they'll be doing in the wake of Justice League's reception and who wants to lay odds on the film not even being released?? :v:

They've got at least 4 other DCEU films in pretty deep pre-production which have been assigned release dates, at least 8 more films in development that have had directors, writers and producers attached to them and at least another half dozen that are in the early planning stages. Everyone involved must be pretty loving nervous right about now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Extended_Universe#Upcoming

Wonder Woman just made a bajillion dollars. Everything else they've released has done really well. Justice League is the first real hiccup, and it's got some pretty specific asterixes over it. How the gently caress does everyone in this thread have such a bad memory?

And why would they not release it? The gently caress is this post?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

LEGO Batman doesn’t even deserve acknowledgment. Sure, the first 10 or so minutes are solid but it sinks really fast after that.

Critics, once again, are loving stupid.

Lego Batman is great.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

Wonder Woman just made a bajillion dollars. Everything else they've released has done really well. Justice League is the first real hiccup, and it's got some pretty specific asterixes over it. How the gently caress does everyone in this thread have such a bad memory?

And why would they not release it? The gently caress is this post?

'Hiccup'. :rolleyes:

They hosed up really, really badly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The lessongthey should lessen is just not touch Aquaman's at all, let the director finish with no interference. Same for Shazam

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hey remember that Forbes article that said WB faces a possible $50m - $100m loss on Justice League? I wasn't totally convinced by his box office predictions when the article first came out but it looks like his projection of a $235m domestic box office is going to be pretty much exactly spot on. So I guess his prediction that it'll end up with a total worldwide theatrical gross of $635 million might also be pretty spot on.

That means it stands to make roughly $75 million less than Amazing Spider-Man 2, the film which was so disappointing that Sony dumped the series (even though they'd announced a whole bunch of sequels and spinoffs) and had to wait for things to cool off for a few years before they went and begged Marvel to help them bail it out.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 7, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If only Sony released a Spider Gwen movie that made millions in 2014 in addition to ASM2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I learned the other night you can say "Academy Award winner The Wolfman (2010)"

Well drat deserved.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That means it stands to make roughly $75 million less than Amazing Spider-Man 2, the film which was so disappointing that Fox dumped the series (even though they'd announced a whole bunch of sequels and spinoffs) and had to wait for things to cool off for a few years before they went and begged Marvel to help them bail it out.

Ah, so I was wondering where you got your theory that WB was gonna cancel Aquaman and scrap everything and this makes sense now.

It's still drastically different because ASM2 was their single launching point and as far as I know they didn't have anything else even to the point of pre-production .

WB still has WW and SS as huge hits, both in fact making inroads into demographics that superhero movie usually don't do great in. I can definitely understand them panicking but they'd be stupid* to scrap everything instead of just like, quietly pretending JL didn't exist and playing up their strengths.

Aquaman is in a unique spot because they still have time to gently caress with it but loving with it would cost money and they hopefully just learned a lesson that throwing stupid amounts of money at something doesn't guarantee a return. They still might gently caress with it tho.

They might also cancel/delay some of the other stuff but the WW and SS follow ups should be pretty safe. They're not in the position as a studio that Sony was in when ASM2 flopped.

* they might actually be this stupid, I guess time will tell

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Wonder Woman's success is not going to help the other DCEU films going forwards until the release of WW2 which is still two years and several films away in their schedule. They did a breakdown of WW's audience demographics and found that there was an extraordinarily high number of women, people over 50 and infrequent moviegoers compared to other superhero blockbusters. The other thing we know about those people is that they probably didn't go see BvS even though Wonder Woman had a minor role in it and they almost certainly didn't buy a ticket to Justice League even though it featured Wonder Woman fairly prominently. The people who ensured WW's box office success are a fairly varied bunch but the one factor that they all seem to have in common is that they're not interested in watching superhero films that have male leads.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Jason Momoa may pull in some women

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think Jason Momoa may pull in some women

He sure didn't the last time he had a starring role which was in the Conan reboot. :v:

Guy A. Person posted:

Ah, so I was wondering where you got your theory that WB was gonna cancel Aquaman and scrap everything and this makes sense now.

It's still drastically different because ASM2 was their single launching point and as far as I know they didn't have anything else even to the point of pre-production .

WB still has WW and SS as huge hits, both in fact making inroads into demographics that superhero movie usually don't do great in. I can definitely understand them panicking but they'd be stupid* to scrap everything instead of just like, quietly pretending JL didn't exist and playing up their strengths.

Aquaman is in a unique spot because they still have time to gently caress with it but loving with it would cost money and they hopefully just learned a lesson that throwing stupid amounts of money at something doesn't guarantee a return. They still might gently caress with it tho.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there's a high chance that they'll cancel Aquaman, or even a good chance. But they'll sure as hell be panicking right now and considering every possible option and one of those options will be "Cut our losses and start over". You know they'll have at least discussed it so there's some chance it might happen.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 7, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's a bigger star now, that movie stunk on ice, this one has mermaid fantasy and romance and a much more talented director.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

He sure didn't the last time he had a starring role which was in the Conan reboot. :v:

That movie sucked so bad. Obviously it wasn't going to be as good as the 1982 movie but like even on the most basic level how do you gently caress up "Jason Mamoa is a barbarian warrior and kicks a lot of rear end."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Last I checked Mamoa isn't a woman so don't see how he's going to capture the "want to see a woman lead" audience identified in the Wonder Woman data .

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm no arbiter of who works as a female gaze and who doesn't, but last I heard Nightwing is huge among female fans. They should definitely fast track a Nightwing centered movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Starring Zac Efron

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You guys might be joking but I'm pretty sure this is exactly how we ended up with a Gambit movie starring Channing Tatum.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aquaman is probably one of the least likely DCEU movie to get cancelled at this point since it's further into production than everything else. Anything involving Harley Quinn is also almost certain since she can pull in both Suicide Squad fans and women.

I think we should not use ASM2 as standard of measurement here. The movie grossed more than Man of Steel and X-Men Apocalypse on a comparable budget but somehow neither of those movies derailed their respective franchises. It seems more an indication of how badly Sony was managing their budget than anything else.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
We have the records to prove what a shitshow Sony is and was.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Jack Dylan Gazer has been cast as Freedy Freeman or Captain Marvel Jr in Shazam

quote:

It star Jack Dylan Grazer is graduating to the DC universe.

The actor has joined the cast of New Line's Shazam!, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. The film centers on a boy named Billy Batson who transforms into the adult superhero Captain Marvel by uttering the magic words "Shazam!" Grazer will play Batson's best friend and confidant Freddy Freeman, the only person who knows Billy's superhero secret. In the comics, Freddy eventually becomes a hero in his own right and adopts the identity of Captain Marvel Jr.

David F. Sandberg is directing Shazam! for New Line Cinema. Zachary Levi stars as the hero Captain Marvel, while Mark Strong is playing the villain, Captain Marvel's longtime arch-nemesis Doctor Sivana.

Grazer was among the young actors to break out with this summer's It, in which he played the hypochondriac member of the Losers Club, Eddie Kaspbrak. The Stephen King adaptation was a big success, scaring up an impressive $694 million worldwide on a $35 million budget.

Shazam! does not have a release date and is eyeing a February start date in Toronto. The film is being developed concurrently with a project focusing on Shazam! villain Black Adam starring Dwayne Johnson.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/it-star-joins-dcs-shazam-1065230

When was confirmed that Mark Strong would be playing Sivana?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there's a high chance that they'll cancel Aquaman, or even a good chance. But they'll sure as hell be panicking right now and considering every possible option and one of those options will be "Cut our losses and start over". You know they'll have at least discussed it so there's some chance it might happen.

Yeah my point is just that "cut our losses and start over" presumably includes scrapping their actually successful properties, or at least isolating from whatever they end up doing in the future. You're right that WW2 isn't for a while so can't help the brand, but it's still something they are 100% going to do because it is a successful franchise at this point. Same with SS and basically anything they can do with Harley Quinn. And they will probably want those characters to be part of whatever shared universe they attempt to salvage from the mess.

Aquaman is in the most interesting position right now because it is at the perfect point to gently caress with and is presumably the most closely tied to JL, at the minimum I can see reshoots to sever as many connections/references to JL that they possibly can.

I think Batman is the most obvious one on the chopping block since Affleck already wants out and now they have no presumptions that that version of Batman has any draw, and in fact may be poisoned by his last two appearances.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder how the theatrical cut affected people's interest in Aquaman. His and Cyborg's stories got butchered in it, turning them into one-note characters who weren't all that interesting. There was more, interesting things to him in Snyder's version that would have lent itself well to the Aquaman film.

I mean, Willem Dafoe was supposed to show up in the film.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy gently caress I forgot about that. How do you cut out Willem DaFoe??

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Neo Rasa posted:

That movie sucked so bad. Obviously it wasn't going to be as good as the 1982 movie but like even on the most basic level how do you gently caress up "Jason Mamoa is a barbarian warrior and kicks a lot of rear end."

I've said it before, but the Conan remake felt like it was made by people whose only knowledge of Conan came from the European knockoffs of the original Conan

Also remember Mamoa saying he wanted to write the sequel

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
While we are talking of Momoa

First look at Aquaman

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

While we are talking of Momoa

First look at Aquaman

No underwater shots?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I believe in Wan.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Davros1 posted:

No underwater shots?

None yet

But there's a small commentary from him

quote:

What’s also interesting is how even this still photo has a rather different feel than images from Justice League, which introduced Aquaman to audiences last month. Director James Wan (Furious 7, The Conjuring) says you can expect many more differences to come. “It’s going to look very different, it will feel very different — aesthetically, tonally, story-wise — it’s my own take,” Wan tells EW. “It’s a much more a traditional action-adventure quest movie.”

Momoa reveals we can expect to see a tale that spans details Curry’s difficult childhood as a half-human, half-Atlantean to eventually becoming king.

“Justice League was only a weekend in Arthur Curry’s life,” Momoa says. “This is a totally different beast. In Aquaman, you see when his parents met and what happened to hem. Then the little boy being raised and finding his powers and going through that and never being accepted on either side. And then becoming this man who puts up all these walls. You just slowly see this man harden up and be completely reluctant wanting to be king and not knowing what to do with these powers he has. I think James Wan just killed it.”

When Wan first met with Warner Bros. to discuss taking on a superhero film, they famously gave him two options: One was a very popular character (The Flash) and the other was considered so impossible to pull off that the prospect of a movie had been a running joke on Entourage. Naturally, the veteran horror director picked the project that would terrify anybody else.

“Aquaman has been the joke of the comic book world, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought how cool that would be,” Wan explains. “Let’s take the character everybody makes fun of and do something really interesting with him.”

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/07/aquaman-first-look-jason-momoa/

I hope this doesn't change.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

That description reminds me a fair bit of Guy Ritchie's King Arthur movie.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

McSpanky posted:

Patty Jenkins is a runner-up for Time's Person of the Year.

http://time.com/time-person-of-the-year-2017-patty-jenkins-runner-up/

...for directing a superhero movie? lmao

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

None yet

But there's a small commentary from him

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/07/aquaman-first-look-jason-momoa/

I hope this doesn't change.

Watch WB execs butcher it because of JL's failure.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Hope we get a cool Aquaman video game out of this at least. We're long overdue for a good underwater game and I think there's a lot of cool poo poo you could do with the combat, the setting and the physics. Picturing sort of a part Ecco the Dolphin and part Arkham thing with a little spiderman thrown in. Maybe some cool fish controlling powers that branch as you get xp.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm imagining fish loot boxes.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A dating sim where you work through Atlantean men until you can catch the big fish, Aquaman.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm imagining fish loot boxes.

Already done!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Red Snapper!?!?!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

viral spiral posted:

...for directing a superhero movie? lmao

The voting online is always brigaded.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Red Snapper!?!?!

I'm gonna take what's in the box, Kuni!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gonz posted:

I'm gonna take what's in the box, Kuni!

You get... NOTHING! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

STUPID! YOU SO STUPID!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sir Kodiak posted:

That description reminds me a fair bit of Guy Ritchie's King Arthur movie.

I still like that movie.

What demos liked suicide squad that dont usually see comic movies?

• Locked thread