Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It was nice since you could pay more to play less of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

People said it wasn't a big deal in Shadow of War because it wasn't, it was completely redundant.

it is something that is snowballing and becoming bigger and bigger. shadow of war doing it just added to the trend. so yes, more games doing it is a big deal even if it isn't a big deal in that particular game. that's how trends work, and that's how micro transactions will become more and more popular with developers, because people will throw money at games (like shadow of war) that have micro transactions. then the next developer will take the idea and evolve it, like Battlefront 2 or activision.

just because the microtransactions are time savers or whatever that don't impact a competitive advantage doesn't mean they don't impact the prevalence of microtransactions appearing in games as a whole.

games like shadow of war are helping companies like activision be able to ease us into the poo poo that is shown in that video.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Slim Pickens posted:

Edit: they pushed the level required for some Prestige end-game stuff up higher than the level cap available for vanilla Destiny 2. You have to buy the expansion just so you can unlock a higher level cap and play a harder version of those game modes.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/6/16743276/destiny-2-curse-of-osiris-content-locked-prestige-nightfall-raid

Holy poo poo, that's scummy. Also, an expansion after the game has been out for what, three months? :wtc:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

it is something that is snowballing and becoming bigger and bigger. shadow of war doing it just added to the trend. so yes, more games doing it is a big deal even if it isn't a big deal in that particular game. that's how trends work, and that's how micro transactions will become more and more popular with developers, because people will throw money at games (like shadow of war) that have micro transactions. then the next developer will take the idea and evolve it, like Battlefront 2 or activision.

just because the microtransactions are time savers or whatever that don't impact a competitive advantage doesn't mean they don't impact the prevalence of microtransactions appearing in games as a whole.

games like shadow of war are helping companies like activision be able to ease us into the poo poo that is shown in that video.

Been trying to find a way to put this in a better way but the only thing I can think of is every microtransaction success for a company means they want to push this farther for the next game into a territory that is worse for the consumer or isn't acceptable at all.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

What content got locked?

Just the prestige raid and prestige nightfall

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

boop the snoot posted:

Sure, I just think singling out Shadow of War as your sign of the apocalypse is weird when there's so many other more egregious examples to choose from. Microtransactions have already been a thing for loving years, if you think Shadow of War was the tipping point you must have been living under a rock :shrug:

e] In other news, Destiny 2 is pretty dope spacemans dressup game, but I dunno, it also feels pretty fuckin expensive for what content you get.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 7, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Sure, I just think singling out Shadow of War as your sign of the apocalypse is weird when there's so many other more egregious examples to choose from. Microtransactions have already been a thing for loving years, if you think Shadow of War was the tipping point you must have been living under a rock :shrug:

i was responding to you saying it wasn't a big deal in shadow of war.

but it was/is a big deal in shadow of war because video games don't exist in a vacuum.

that game was the tipping point for me personally and was one of the first times i got legit angry at it, but when i brought it up in this thread and in the shadow of war thread people said it was a stupid concern, but it isn't if you don't want gamebreaking microtransactions in every game in probably less than a decade.

i would be willing to bet that in the next ~2 years there's going to be a AAA fps or rpg title with a weak novelty weapon that you can buy through microtransactions, and people will say it's fine because it's a lovely weapon anyway.

and then...

and then...

and pretty soon you've got the full fledged cell phone free-to-play model in 90% of the games on the market.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

Holy poo poo, that's scummy. Also, an expansion after the game has been out for what, three months? :wtc:

It’s a low effort one that hasn’t reviewed well.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

boop the snoot posted:

i would be willing to bet that in the next ~2 years there's going to be a AAA fps or rpg title with a weak novelty weapon that you can buy through microtransactions, and people will say it's fine because it's a lovely weapon anyway.

I still don''t get why you're making these ~bold predictions~ about stuff that already happens. I'm not saying it's not lovely, just that it's already here and it hasn't ruined gaming or whatever. Yea it's dumb and annoying but I don't think it's true that all microtransactions are a gateway to paid-lootbox-only content like EA's been getting steamrolled over.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I still don''t get why you're making these ~bold predictions~ about stuff that already happens. I'm not saying it's not lovely, just that it's already here and it hasn't ruined gaming or whatever. Yea it's dumb and annoying but I don't think it's true that all microtransactions are a gateway to paid-lootbox-only content like EA's been getting steamrolled over.

EA overplayed their hand. The industry will start slow playing it now and eventually everyone will just see that EA was ahead of their time.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

boop the snoot posted:

and pretty soon you've got the full fledged cell phone free-to-play model in 90% of the games on the market.
This is actually a workable business model, though; "casual gaming," or whatever we're calling it, can work very well for both the players and the company so long as they can retain those players. Take a look at this article about Angry Birds 2 for an excellent example. The problem is when people pay $$$ up front for a big budget game from a big studio and then get a half-assed experience which can only be improved by coughing up more dough, especially those which are primarily a direct competition between players. Nobody cared when Team Fortress 2 started throwing hats and stupid poo poo out there because those things didn't up-end the game for folks who didn't buy hats. A game that's build around play-to-win microtransactions kills the experience for anyone not willing to keep coughing up.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

This is actually a workable business model, though; "casual gaming," or whatever we're calling it, can work very well for both the players and the company so long as they can retain those players. Take a look at this article about Angry Birds 2 for an excellent example. The problem is when people pay $$$ up front for a big budget game from a big studio and then get a half-assed experience which can only be improved by coughing up more dough, especially those which are primarily a direct competition between players. Nobody cared when Team Fortress 2 started throwing hats and stupid poo poo out there because those things didn't up-end the game for folks who didn't buy hats. A game that's build around play-to-win microtransactions kills the experience for anyone not willing to keep coughing up.

Yeah, it will work for free to play games. But imagine applying that business model to a $60 game. That's where I believe we are headed. We won't get there overnight. I predict a decade-ish before we start in legit play-to-win territory in a huge portion of games.

But the TF2 for example, is just an early step of an evolving process. I like to use DLC as an example for how these things evolve. Or even expansions. WoW, for example, was out for ~3 years before the first expansion, then it was almost two years before the second. Now they are every year because they know people will buy it. DLC used to be a rare concept, now games are released with missing content because expansions will be coming out that contain the rest of the content because they know people will buy it.

But when DLC started initially, had it been every three months from the get-go with partially released $60 AAA games? People would have probably flipped poo poo. Instead, we were eased into it. DLC here, DLC there. Next year, DLC a little more frequently. Next year, more frequently. Now it's every three months for some games.

None of this poo poo happens over night and just shrugging it off as "it's not a big deal" is short sighted.

EA will be seen as ahead of their time for the BF2 fiasco.

E: This post wasn't a direct response to you Naked Bear. Just to some of your points with a bit of a tangent thrown in.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 8, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mass effect is a great example of dlc creep. Bring down the sky adds nothing to the base game but is a cool side mission which imo is worth the money. Roll on me3 and you've got day 1 dlc which imo the game needed. it should never have been dlc.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

boop the snoot posted:

Yeah, it will work for free to play games. But imagine applying that business model to a $60 game. That's where I believe we are headed. We won't get there overnight. I predict a decade-ish before we start in legit play-to-win territory in a huge portion of games.

But the TF2 for example, is just an early step of an evolving process. I like to use DLC as an example for how these things evolve. Or even expansions. WoW, for example, was out for ~3 years before the first expansion, then it was almost two years before the second. Now they are every year because they know people will buy it. DLC used to be a rare concept, now games are released with missing content because expansions will be coming out that contain the rest of the content because they know people will buy it.

But when DLC started initially, had it been every three months from the get-go with partially released $60 AAA games? People would have probably flipped poo poo. Instead, we were eased into it. DLC here, DLC there. Next year, DLC a little more frequently. Next year, more frequently. Now it's every three months for some games.

None of this poo poo happens over night and just shrugging it off as "it's not a big deal" is short sighted.

EA will be seen as ahead of their time for the BF2 fiasco.

E: This post wasn't a direct response to you Naked Bear. Just to some of your points with a bit of a tangent thrown in.
Oh, no, you're right and I agree.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Mass effect is a great example of dlc creep. Bring down the sky adds nothing to the base game but is a cool side mission which imo is worth the money. Roll on me3 and you've got day 1 dlc which imo the game needed. it should never have been dlc.

I agree with this but conversely if you got the season pass or whatever they called it you got an assload of stuff for your money.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

boop the snoot posted:

A good post. Small or minuscule micro transactions should still be in the spotlight

Titanfall 2 did it best but that game went as fast as it came. I suppose at least they aren’t separating the playerbase via maps etc. shouldn’t be something to celebrate tho

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 8, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

If it becomes gambling, I expect the AAA western market to start looking like the chinese game market where you just out right buy poo poo.

Like warframe but with no option to earn it in game.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I’ve asked but I guess no one actually plays Battlefront

So they removed boxes all completely or just took out the purchase options?

I guess what I’m asking is does unlocking the poo poo people were mad about take the same amount of grinding as when you could still buy loot boxes?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I guess 2nd and last part of BOTW expansion dropped and looks good? I cannot watch a video rn

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I guess what I’m asking is does unlocking the poo poo people were mad about take the same amount of grinding as when you could still buy loot boxes?

My impression is that yes, they took away purchasing the boxes, but left every thing else the same, relying on in game poo poo to unlock crates. Apparently they have boosted the credit gain from matches but other that progression is random I guess??

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I finally picked up My Summer Car, and my first hours went like this:

- Started assembling the suspension, then got bored and took the boat to the store. Assumed it the sun was rising and the store wasn’t open yet, so I hosed around in the pub, got drunk, and pissed on a guy. Then I realized that it was almost night, and sprinted back to my boat to make it home. Went to sleep, and took the boat to the store in the morning. Got my stuff, made the couple trips to the docks, and then went home, only to run out of gas in the middle of the lake. Quit without saving.

- Started new game. Hopped in the van because gently caress running back and forth to the dock. Realized the van is slow as poo poo and was taking forever to go to the store. Quit without saving.

- Started new game. Turned on the sauna to let it heat up while I took the boat to town. Grabbed all the supplies, made it back home, and saved. Started assembling the suspension, went inside for food, and oops, my house is on fire. Quit without saving.

- Ate dinner IRL, then loaded save. Started assembling the suspension again, and forgot the sauna was still on. House on fire. Again. Quit without saving.

- Loaded save. Turned off sauna, saved game, said gently caress it and turned off my PC.

This game is pissing me off, but I already want to get back into it and drive my car. I can’t wait to see what’s going to kill me next, 10/10

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Your Battle Buddy posted:

My impression is that yes, they took away purchasing the boxes, but left every thing else the same, relying on in game poo poo to unlock crates. Apparently they have boosted the credit gain from matches but other that progression is random I guess??

I think initially they lowered the amount required but also lowered the amount earned per match, not saying poo poo about the latter; making it about the same time to unlock. That’s the impression I got online anyway

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think initially they lowered the amount required but also lowered the amount earned per match, not saying poo poo about the latter; making it about the same time to unlock. That’s the impression I got online anyway

Close, you're thinking of the hero prices that originally took like 40hrs to unlock or something, and they reduced the campaign rewards or something.

So yeah it's pretty wacky

edit: I could be wrong of course I just read the thread for the weirdos

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah sorry that’s what I was referencing the whole time: luke/vader, really the ones that started the fuss

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

you can not buy their cash shop currency

you can still buy boxes if you already had cash shop currency

you can also get loot boxes the normal way with in game currency

EDIT: with the cheevos in the game, you can get quite a bit of stuff real fast, but there is a wall that hits where you can't keep going. You also have to be certain levels to keep leveling up cards and some times there is a wall where you can't because the poo poo you use is all maxed out so you have to branch out.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 8, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

how do i level up the fastest in division

im 12 atm

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The steam awards are on steam right now, they are dumb,w hat ever

kojima from metal gear showed off a video for his new game, it is even crazier

but if you are watching the stream in steam, you have a chance to win a game every 15 minutes from a game that you do not own and is also a nominee or won or something

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

how do i level up the fastest in division

im 12 atm

Just play through the missions. You'll hit 30 right around somewhere around the last few missions.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Here have some crazy kojima video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iadt58pIU7o

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
It's kojima alright.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Kind of reminds me of The Mist?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1sdAmSq4vs

oh poo poo

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
Witchfire, a dark fantasy shooter from some of the guys that made Painkiller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MhH8Nl1lXw

GTFO, a 4 player co-op swarm shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vSYJckIfi8

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oh poo poo

bulletstorm and painkiller are both on my list of cool games

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Bulletstorm is probably the best single player FPS I’ve ever played outside of Titanfall 2, but they’re not so similar

Somehow they just made the gunplay & movement feel really good

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Missionary Positron posted:

In 1996 a N64 game cost $60 ($94.37 in 2017 dollars).
In 1996 a Playstation game cost $50 ($78.64 in 2017 dollars).

Despite inflation and the increased cost of creating more and more complex games, consumers have been very resistant to price increases. What we are seeing now is a direct consequence of the smaller profit margins per unit sold.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

In 1996 a N64 game cost $60 ($94.37 in 2017 dollars).
In 1996 a Playstation game cost $50 ($78.64 in 2017 dollars).

Despite inflation and the increased cost of creating more and more complex games, consumers have been very resistant to price increases. What we are seeing now is a direct consequence of the smaller profit margins per unit sold.

No major game publisher has ever announced what their profit margins are so any argument mentioning them is making some big assumptions. Arguments about inflation are dumb because since the 90s we've been through (at least?) one major recession and now have a glut of video games on the market that one would expect to drive prices down anyway.

Given the general behavior of massive corporations I'm inclined to believe that all this poo poo with microtransactions is just a matter of greed, not necessity, and if a huge publisher is struggling to put out games then it's probably because they couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag without wasting $50M.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh Christ can we gently caress off with this fixation on the stagnant $60 price since the late 80s/90s. Hell it was upwards of $90

I’m not losing sleep over game company profit margins. If they have a systematic high turnover, overwork, abuse, and are generally unethical to staff then that’s a whole other issue entirely. An underpaid and overworked employee doesn’t mean they aren’t turning profits. Small time studios aren’t generally dropping huge $60 AAA titles or w/e, usually the the $20-30 esque games

But really let’s just call it like it is: greed

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

*Destiny devs throw away literal years worth of work and blow a ton of cash on a lame-rear end celebrity voice actor that they also throw away*

"Gosh, video games are just too dang expensive to make these days!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:gary: