Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Vandy fans gotta be scratching their heads over this one

https://twitter.com/PredsNHL/status/939186749242314752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

the players demanded that Larry Coker become coach at The U after Butch Davis left lol

Yeah. The school wanted to bring in Barry Alvarez.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Did SMU hire someone?

chaoslord posted:

Louisiana (Lafayette) is also still open I think

Thanks. Forgot that Chad Morris left somewhere and that U La La existed.

Have I missed anyone else?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dilber posted:

Yeah. The school wanted to bring in Barry Alvarez.

He turned it down. The players wanted Coker because they knew he was a huge pushover and that Ed Reed would effectively be the coach lol

Kim Jong Il posted:

Cristobal is exactly what Schiano is/would be, good program/recruiter who can't coach.

what is bad about his coaching

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 8, 2017

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

I mean, this isn’t exactly news to us. Our culture is hella weird.

e: Pretty sure Sumlin and Fran thought so as well. Our coaches, with the exception of maybe Slocum, have been weirded out by the traditions and corps antics

Cnidario fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 8, 2017

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

MourningView posted:

He turned it down. The players wanted Coker because they knew he was a huge pushover and that Ed Reed would effectively be the coach lol

I'm aware.

I just want you to picture the Canes as a 3 yards and a cloud of dust team.

instead of what we became, "3 yards, an incomplete, and some weird rear end third down playcalling" team

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Tennessee: Jeremy Pruitt’s term sheet, according to a tweet from Steve Berkowitz is for just over 6-years (through January of 2024) and includes a base salary of $3.8 million plus supplement for TV / radio appearances and other endorsements. Berkowitz adds that if Tennessee were to fire him without cause, he would be owed 60% of his remaining base salary + supplemental ($3.8 million for each year) through the end of his deal, and that amount is “not subject to duty to mitigate.”

and

quote:

Mississippi State: Sources tell FootballScoop Joe Moorhead plans to hire former Louisiana Lafayette head coach Mark Hudspeth as tight ends coach. Hudspeth previously served as head coach at both North Alabama and Louisiana Lafayette for seven seasons. Between those head coaching positions, Hudspeth spent two seasons coaching receivers at Mississippi State 2009-10.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
hud is cool in this boys book

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Given that I haven't really followed cfb for many years now, aitoo who thinks Jimbo Fisher looks like a middle aged, sold-out-to-the-man Fonzie or is this an old, tired take?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

pruitt money

lol we're paying Pruitt about a million a year less than what we would have paid Schiano.

y'all ready for some crazy rear end coach speak?

I feel like this is a huge gently caress you to Butch

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 8, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Like my dude literally lit a dumpster on fire with the playbooks and all the 121 BS from last year including the turnover trash can

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Joey Freshwater posted:

Like my dude literally lit a dumpster on fire with the playbooks and all the 121 BS from last year including the turnover trash can

Where did you find this gem?

I assume the shoes were from the University, because that was the wrong day to wear your personal shoes.

'But Coach I just got these new Jordans yesterday!'

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Where did you find this gem?

I assume the shoes were from the University, because that was the wrong day to wear your personal shoes.

'But Coach I just got these new Jordans yesterday!'

A buddy sent it to me, not sure where he got it.

And by shoes I assumed they were the cleats from last year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If he wanted to throw everything into a dumpster fire he could have just pitched the shoes and playbooks into the Athletic Director’s office.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If he wanted to throw everything into a dumpster fire he could have just pitched the shoes and playbooks into the Athletic Director’s office.

Eh E for Effort, AD office is fine now

But speaking of Currie...

Schiano MOU is invalid:

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/report-memorandum-understanding-greg-schiano-tennessee-invalid

quote:

Jimmy Hyams of WNML is reporting that the memorandum of understanding between Greg Schiano and Tennessee is invalid due to the fact that it was not signed by the school’s chief financial officer or the school’s president. Per Hyams, it was signed only by Schiano and former athletic director John Currie. Currie is not on the list of officials who can approve a hire at Tennessee.

Hyams also reports that the deal would’ve paid Schiano an average of $4.5 million over the course of the 6-year deal. Pruitt will make an average of $3.8 million a year. The invalid memorandum could mean that the school does not have to pay Schiano anything. But this fact also does not stop Schiano from potentially seeking legal action after Tennessee backed away from a deal a couple weeks ago to bring him on as head coach.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol we're paying Pruitt about a million a year less than what we would have paid Schiano.

Butch Jones: Are you gonna light my Country Music Award Champions of Life award on fire?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

That's the good poo poo, Pruitt.

Just don't exact revenge on us next season. Richt's not here anymore.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wait just so we're all on the same page here: this is 100% fanfic ... right?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The person I got it from said it was the transcript of the first team meeting and I'm going to believe it and you can't tell me otherwise

Nothing I've heard about Pruitt up to now leads me to believe he wouldn't do this

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I mean if it's fanfic they really nailed Pruitt's psychopathy based on what we saw at the press conference, so kudos there.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

Joey Freshwater posted:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

The person I got it from said it was the transcript of the first team meeting and I'm going to believe it and you can't tell me otherwise

Nothing I've heard about Pruitt up to now leads me to believe he wouldn't do this

Unless they snuck in a stenographer there's gotta be a video or audio tape of this. I can't believe this is real until I see the tapes

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

D.N. Nation posted:

Just don't exact revenge on us next season. Richt's not here anymore.

Smart will Break You.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My biggest issue is the lack of the use of 'aight' in the transcript.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Frost is officially bringing his entire UCF staff to Lincoln, which is weird but not really (three or four of them are Nebraska alumni)

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
If nothing else, the Herm hire will ensure more airtime on ESPN for ASU

https://twitter.com/ccole20/status/939223386512920587

which isn't not valuable.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

good thing UTk has one of the hugest Nike contracts, no shame in literally destroying materials that you could have donated or something I guess. JUST GIVE US FRESH KICKS FOR THIS FRESH REGIME.

Actually I hope they don't change our unis, i really like what Nike did for us the checkerboard accents are great.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Frost is officially bringing his entire UCF staff to Lincoln, which is weird but not really (three or four of them are Nebraska alumni)

Not going to lie, part of me hoped he would bring in Jason Peter and Grant Wistrom to coach DL (i.e. do all the coke and cut pro wrestling promos on the defense).

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Penn State DC Brent Pry is reportedly a finalist for the ULL coaching job. If he leaves, we are hosed. It would be unexpected, unlike Moorhead, for which Franklin has had a contingency plan for a year.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

what is bad about his coaching

I followed him very closely at FIU because he was seen as a potential successor to Schiano. He, like Schiano, built these very strong teams relative to the other teams on their schedule, and then would lose 2-3 games per year against inferior competition.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Kim Jong Il posted:

I followed him very closely at FIU because he was seen as a potential successor to Schiano. He, like Schiano, built these very strong teams relative to the other teams on their schedule, and then would lose 2-3 games per year against inferior competition.

What could possibly be considered inferior competition to fiu and rutgers

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
FIU was an absolute pit (they had literally never been over .500) when he got their with no institutional support for football at all. Basically the only thing it had going for it was location. He recruited amazingly well under the circumstances but it’s not like he was lapping the Sun Belt or something, especially because they had huge academic issues before he got there and were on scholarship restrictions as a result, which hurt depth. Like TY Hilton was obviously way too good for the Sun Belt but it’s not like he had a whole team of those guys.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
That Pruitt transcript is awesome and I hope it’s real

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’m sorry, Oregon couldn’t do any better than Cristobal? Wtf?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Qwijib0 posted:

If nothing else, the Herm hire will ensure more airtime on ESPN for ASU

https://twitter.com/ccole20/status/939223386512920587

which isn't not valuable.

They got a lot of alumni at Fox Sports too so now they really are covering all their bases.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LeeMajors posted:

It's kinda weird, yeah. Also, 70 Oregon players signed a petition asking the University to make him HC. I dunno how much that might have factored into their decision (I would say not much, but then again, this year's coaching carousel has been pretty weird).

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

Wanted continuity coupled with recruiting. Who do you think they should have gone after?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah should Oregon go after Kevin Sumlin, someone who with a better recruiting base did about as well as Oregon has?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Maxwells Demon posted:

Yeah should Oregon go after Kevin Sumlin, someone who with a better recruiting base did about as well as Oregon has?

dphi posted:

Wanted continuity coupled with recruiting. Who do you think they should have gone after?

I don't really know the answer to this question but the hire surprises me for two reasons:

A) basing your HC hire on keeping a recruiting class together is almost never a good idea, particularly when said HC has a questionable resume

and

B)

Pakled posted:

It's kinda weird, yeah. Also, 70 Oregon players signed a petition asking the University to make him HC. I dunno how much that might have factored into their decision (I would say not much, but then again, this year's coaching carousel has been pretty weird).

letting your players run your coaching search is how you end up with Coker or Bill Stewart.

Isn't Oregon accomplished enough and affluent enough to warrant a nationwide HC search? The whole thing just feels half-baked and surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
It wasn't so much about keeping the current class together as it is Cristobal being touted as a really strong recruiter.

I don't know enough about Sumlin to say whether he would be better. Seemed to have an average record without Johnny Football despite having some big time talent, but I wouldn't have been mad at all if he was the hire.

• Locked thread