Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
ripgrep is fast 💨

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

man i just got my muscle memory to remember ack, tell me why i should try out something else

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
the silver searcher (ag) and ripgrep are both insanely fast compared to grep. not sure how any of them compare to ack, never used it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

necrotic posted:

the silver searcher (ag) and ripgrep are both insanely fast compared to grep. not sure how any of them compare to ack, never used it.

the platinum searcher (pt) is nice on windows spacemacs

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

necrotic posted:

use ripgrep (edit: or platinum searcher as suggested above), nice re2-style non-backtracking implementation (in the form of rust regex) backing it, consistenly fast and good :thumbsup:

ack is perl regexes (silver searcher a mix of raw boyer-moore and the rest backed by pcre), so as usual it is fast except when it isn't

(and, no, this is not likely to matter hugely for your own personal searching needs, but if you get to choose freely anyway~)

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 8, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ah well pcre4lyf so suck it, vermin

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eh, in *this* context liking pcre is fine, but you know my opinion in general :p

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 8, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just finishing up an endless slog of a paper ok backreference semantics and feeling a bit worn out on the subject. getting drunk tonight.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
no lets go into a several page debate over the best regex library

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

egrep in the streets, fgrep in the sheets

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

paging graph, graph please report to the Security Fuckup Megathread. thank you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just finishing up an endless slog of a paper ok backreference semantics and feeling a bit worn out on the subject. getting drunk tonight.

its cool no worries :D

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

use ripgrep (edit: or platinum searcher as suggested above), nice re2-style non-backtracking implementation (in the form of rust regex) backing it, consistenly fast and good :thumbsup:

I remember RE2 having a fair bit of backtracking. Especially in Claire's version.

eh, in *this* context liking pcre is fine, but you know my opinion in general :p

PCRE is terrible, it should be on consoles only.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
The Secfuck hit my email today:

quote:

Hi Harik,

I'm a reporter with Forbes.

Looking at this blog re vulnerabilities in the Vaultek system: https://www.twosixlabs.com/bluesteal-popping-gatt-safes/

Are you still involved in Vaultek?

Can you provide comment?

Thanks,
XXX, forbes reporter.

It starts out bad and it keeps getting worse.

I have so many comments I want to give them. Starting with :lol:, moving through various stages of maniacal laughter, and ending with :suicide:

A year ago I offered to help and vet their security a year ago but they "knew what they were doing." I had no idea what they'd actually chosen to do until today and holy gently caress it's a tire fire.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's fine you just disable bluetooth and use a key instead, no one's managed to beat that yet

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
What's your favorite part?

Mine is probably
JavaScript code:
function decodePayload(payload){
	var res = new Array();
	for(var i=1;i<payload.length-1;i=i+2){
	    var tmp;
	    tmpA = payload[i]-97;
	    tmpB = payload[i+1]-97;
	    tmpC = (tmpA<<4) + tmpB;
	    res.push(tmpC);
	}
	return res;
}
the fact that you can crack this "security" with node dot loving js.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
no one is immune to iot shenanigans

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the part where the researchers waste time explaining that the pincode isn't used at all in the getAuthor part of the protocol just reflected back to the client then call it a vulnerability. after showing that the pincode is really just the pairing code

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the part where the researchers waste time explaining that the pincode isn't used at all in the getAuthor part of the protocol just reflected back to the client then call it a vulnerability. after showing that the pincode is really just the pairing code

I'm going to be tearing this apart myself to figure it out - since it'd be completely obvious that any number you enter in the app works to unlock the safe, the check that they match must be done in the app itself against something it saved? I wonder if the bluetooth PIN and device PIN are getting conflated somewhere.

Unfucking this mess is probably going to fall to me, which means yay chinese written app and firmware and hardware with chinese ICs that only have chinese datasheets and chinese support. I loving hate being right.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Harik posted:

It starts out bad and it keeps getting worse.

I have so many comments I want to give them. Starting with :lol:, moving through various stages of maniacal laughter, and ending with :suicide:

A year ago I offered to help and vet their security a year ago but they "knew what they were doing." I had no idea what they'd actually chosen to do until today and holy gently caress it's a tire fire.
give them the comments

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Harik posted:

I'm going to be tearing this apart myself to figure it out - since it'd be completely obvious that any number you enter in the app works to unlock the safe, the check that they match must be done in the app itself against something it saved? I wonder if the bluetooth PIN and device PIN are getting conflated somewhere.

Unfucking this mess is probably going to fall to me, which means yay chinese written app and firmware and hardware with chinese ICs that only have chinese datasheets and chinese support. I loving hate being right.
i'd guess that they had it implemented properly at some point then someone went "why are we using the same code twice to authenticate the channel and the safe combo" and someone had the idea to solve that issue by ripping out parts of the safe combo validation but didn't feel comfortable altering the protocol itself
e: the "something that it saved" would be the bluetooth pairing code allowing it to talk to the machine at all surely

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

anthonypants posted:

give them the comments
i wish. my energy is going towards a scathing internal postmortem on this one.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'd guess that they had it implemented properly at some point then someone went "why are we using the same code twice to authenticate the channel and the safe combo" and someone had the idea to solve that issue by ripping out parts of the safe combo validation but didn't feel comfortable altering the protocol itself
e: the "something that it saved" would be the bluetooth pairing code allowing it to talk to the machine at all surely
you're being generous. look at how bad this all is and think really hard if that generosity is deserved. it's a bunch of kids who didn't know any better with no adults to tell them "no". to be fair to them, they managed to just as good a job as Intel so i guess they've got that going for them?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Harik posted:

quote:

However the safe does not verify the pin code, so an attacker can obtain authorization and unlock the safe using any arbitrary value as the pin code.

I mean of course, who needs a code for a safe?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nsa needs to remove specific event log entries to hide their tracks and make sure they can never be recovered, just one catch:
https://blog.fox-it.com/2017/12/08/detection-and-recovery-of-nsas-covered-up-tracks/

quote:

Fox-IT discovered that when eventlogedit is used, the to-be-removed event record itself isn’t edited or removed at all: the record is only unreferenced.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

nsa needs to remove specific event log entries to hide their tracks and make sure they can never be recovered, just one catch:
https://blog.fox-it.com/2017/12/08/detection-and-recovery-of-nsas-covered-up-tracks/

apparently someone at the nsa never played uplink. gotta upgrade log deleter to v3

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

apparently someone at the nsa never played uplink. gotta upgrade log deleter to v3

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Trabisnikof posted:

man now i want to play that through again

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

man now i want to play that through again
:yossame:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
if anyone's shepherded a CVE who would be willing to give me advice (here or in PM) it'd be appreciated. I've dealt with security breaches before but never had to run the reporting/responding part, and nobody else here has either. Trying to get mitigation information out to people now that I've convinced marketing that "head in the sand and pretend nothing happened" isn't a valid response.

Trabisnikof posted:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Harik posted:

if anyone's shepherded a CVE who would be willing to give me advice (here or in PM) it'd be appreciated. I've dealt with security breaches before but never had to run the reporting/responding part, and nobody else here has either. Trying to get mitigation information out to people now that I've convinced marketing that "head in the sand and pretend nothing happened" isn't a valid response.

https://cve.mitre.org/about/faqs.html

https://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

idgi

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
here is a hint

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

anthonypants posted:

here is a hint

oh :3:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

the CVEs are already filed by a third party, I'd be the vendor of the vulnerable product. Lots of CVEs have links to mitigations and fixes, but I don't see how to get them added on. that's separate from the "vendor statement" which is just the PR bullshit used to downplay how bad they hosed up.

it sounds like this needed to have been done before it went public but I'm just picking up the pieces of previous idiocy at this point.

fortunately bluetooth unlock is a dumb fluff feature and it's trivial for the end user to turn off.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

necrotic posted:

remember how in like 1989 a ton of Mac software was named like this? Like "The [software noun]"

would have to dig up my Macintosh Bible to come up with actual examples

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Harik posted:

the CVEs are already filed by a third party, I'd be the vendor of the vulnerable product. Lots of CVEs have links to mitigations and fixes, but I don't see how to get them added on. that's separate from the "vendor statement" which is just the PR bullshit used to downplay how bad they hosed up.

it sounds like this needed to have been done before it went public but I'm just picking up the pieces of previous idiocy at this point.

fortunately bluetooth unlock is a dumb fluff feature and it's trivial for the end user to turn off.

I don't think you can get that stuff added. After it's submitted, it's a done deal as far as I know.

I'd simply release your company's announcement through your regular channels and reference the CVE like:

quote:

SAFE MAKING Co.: This Thing We Did What hosed Up (CVE-2017-XXXXX)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

atomicthumbs posted:

remember how in like 1989 a ton of Mac software was named like this? Like "The [software noun]"

would have to dig up my Macintosh Bible to come up with actual examples

The Good Finder
The Utility That's $40 Registration On The Mac But It's Free On Windows Or Maybe Like $5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

here is a hint

idgi

• Locked thread