Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knifegrab posted:

Please don't use this series in reference to abuse of women

Oh dear, is there a story behind it that I'm unaware of?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm not sure if Canada has the same kind of racial grievance politics that exists in the US that need to be leveraged to get a Trump elected.

We don't, but our current PM is doing stuff like apologizing to LGBT and First Nations peoples for past mistreatment, and we're going to be legalizing weed this summer, so the stage is set for our right wing to get all riled up and elect a shittier Trump in a few years who just undoes as much progress as possible. Until then, we'll have to settle for idiots wearing Trump hats despite being in one of the nations Trump wants to gently caress.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Oh dear, is there a story behind it that I'm unaware of?

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Not to start an animaniacs derail (actually that sounds pretty fun) but... I don't get it.

It kinda feels like Yakko and Wakko are the butt of the joke there.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Not to start an animaniacs derail (actually that sounds pretty fun) but... I don't get it.

It kinda feels like Yakko and Wakko are the butt of the joke there.

"Boys just can't help it but leer at women, it's what's expected of them". Is a terrible thing to be teaching children.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Dot oggles dudes all the time in that show though. The brothers do it more, but they played both sides with the gag, at least.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I can see the headlines from the Onion if Moore wins

Moore wins Alabama Senate Race!
Multiple pages hospitalized
with eye injuries after Nose Goes

“Suzy said ‘not it’ too early!” claims multiple anonymous sources.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Aramis posted:

"Boys just can't help it but leer at women, it's what's expected of them". Is a terrible thing to be teaching children.

I don't really think that's the lesson. I mean, you can see the embarassment on Dot and kinda the point of all three of them is that they have no impulse control whatsoever. I really don't think it's problematic except insofar as showing anything hinting at sexuality to children is problematic (and the censors in this country are pretty draconian with that sort of thing, especially in the nineties. )

Like, kids are not supposed to find it any more acceptable than we do. Would you also argue that, I don't know, Tom and Jerry normalizes violence or bugs bunny is racist?

Well yes, probably, but that rabbit hole never actually ends until you've censored all media.

Edit: or dot just doesn't understand what the boys are looking at which, while it takes some wind out of my argument, is even funnier.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

mutata posted:

Dot oggles dudes all the time in that show though. The brothers do it more, but they played both sides with the gag, at least.

She wouldn't finger Prince, though. She's got some discriminating taste.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Republicans posted:

She wouldn't finger Prince, though. She's got some discriminating taste.

Still one of the most solid jokes of all time. I have no earthly idea how that got passed censors.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Oracle posted:

I will note Alabama just got a few inches of snow in a kind of freak storm hitting a lot of the south right now (MS got several inches also, it's below freezing in Texas) and weather is likely to depress turnout (though this will more than likely be gone by Tues). So keep an eye on the forecast for Election Day.

A lot of people believe that Doug Jones will only win when hell freezes over.
Let it snow.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

enraged_camel posted:

we should start taking bets on how the alabama race will go

Moore wins. Hope is a lie. 3 months from now the Moore controversy will be the republican "but her emails"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Helen Highwater posted:

Spend time outside your hotel room, meet the people whose home you are visiting. If all you're doing is walking through a canned tour and only meaningfully interacting with the people in your tour group, then you may as well stay at home and read the Wikipedia page about the place.

In the last twelve years, I've lived and worked in 8 different countries. My worldview has changed massively as a result.

I am on my fifth year of working in a foreign country and only now I am learning the language (in my defence, most people here speak English) and have zero local acquaintances since it’s a mostly expat company. I am also deathly afraid of being robbed so I avoid going to places alone and every single time I mention going somewhere on my own to my parents they immediately ask why they can’t come and call every single day to “ check up on me” despite me reminding them I am 30.

...I’m going to grow up to become a rabid right winger like them, aren’t I? Just loving kill me now. :(

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm not saying :sever: necessarily, but you mention your parents a lot for a 30yo

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

I am on my fifth year of working in a foreign country and only now I am learning the language (in my defence, most people here speak English) and have zero local acquaintances since it’s a mostly expat company. I am also deathly afraid of being robbed so I avoid going to places alone

I need to know what language and country you're in to judge this.

If it's a Romance or Germanic language you should be roundly mocked. If it's not Indo-European it's fine.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AceOfFlames posted:

I am on my fifth year of working in a foreign country and only now I am learning the language (in my defence, most people here speak English) and have zero local acquaintances since it’s a mostly expat company. I am also deathly afraid of being robbed so I avoid going to places alone and every single time I mention going somewhere on my own to my parents they immediately ask why they can’t come and call every single day to “ check up on me” despite me reminding them I am 30.

...I’m going to grow up to become a rabid right winger like them, aren’t I? Just loving kill me now. :(

Probably. Start going out more. Move to a sketchy neighborhood.

I’m a cheap skate and I hate waspy soccer moms so I’ve always lived in the places that make other white people go “...why would you live there?” and “that’s a bad part of town right?”

My favorite was “that part of towns a little dark if you know what I mean”

No, what ever do you mean? loving people.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm not saying :sever: necessarily, but you mention your parents a lot for a 30yo

I have no one else. Hence the therapy. :(

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

AceOfFlames posted:

I have no one else. Hence the therapy. :(

Well this isn't E/N, but start skipping calls with your dickhead parents, and start engaging with the people who live around you. It doesn't really matter if this involves joining some Warhammer club for supernerds, or playing in a band or sports team, or just going down a local bar and having a few beers and feeling like an awkward loner. Be less online

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

mutata posted:

that doesn’t make it better

BardoTheConsumer posted:

I don't really think that's the lesson. I mean, you can see the embarassment on Dot and kinda the point of all three of them is that they have no impulse control whatsoever. I really don't think it's problematic except insofar as showing anything hinting at sexuality to children is problematic (and the censors in this country are pretty draconian with that sort of thing, especially in the nineties. )

Like, kids are not supposed to find it any more acceptable than we do. Would you also argue that, I don't know, Tom and Jerry normalizes violence or bugs bunny is racist?

Well yes, probably, but that rabbit hole never actually ends until you've censored all media.

Edit: or dot just doesn't understand what the boys are looking at which, while it takes some wind out of my argument, is even funnier.

bugs bunny is a giant racist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54M_fk5_0hs

hot take: maybe instead of freaking out about censoring media we should, i don’t know, also treat people who aren’t cishet white men like people

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

mutata posted:

The animators were also told they drew the women too sexy, in some cases having to erase the line the gave them cleavage. Some of the early episodes you can see it if you look close enough there's a different shade of coloe that doesn't completely match

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
I sense another de-rail coming, quick thread just enjoy this flying fox enjoying scratches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVz8rvIl_vY

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SocketWrench posted:

The animators were also told they drew the women too sexy, in some cases having to erase the line the gave them cleavage. Some of the early episodes you can see it if you look close enough there's a different shade of coloe that doesn't completely match

As a kid I wasn't certain if it was an adult show.

But I wasn't allowed to watch most contemporary animation, anyway.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
Nurse from animaniacs and Jessica Rabbit were my middle school fantasy.

Still a sucker for red heads, nurses, and lounge music in my 30s.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Katt posted:

Moore wins. Hope is a lie. 3 months from now the Moore controversy will be the republican "but her emails"

Moore will scrape home by a couple of points, but it won't be a narrow victory it will be a minor loving victory.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Man, both the designs and the animation in that episode are AWFUL.

I thought WB was known for having the A-teams do the animation work?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Blurred posted:

Moore will scrape home by a couple of points, but it won't be a narrow victory it will be a minor loving victory.

-_-

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Alter Ego posted:

Chances are he'll probably do both :rimshot:

:stonklol:

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

1) Everything you post in here, ever, is about yourself, it's getting tiresome.
2) You live in one of the safest countries in the world, but I guess you could move to Iceland if you're so scared.
3) While learning Dutch is certainly doable for most English speaking folks, you don't need to speak Dutch to socialize here. Join a club, any club. The Dutch will follow.

On topic: I was wondering whether Americans realize how often stuff from your country is in the news in Europe. For example, a Dutch article about that shooting in Arizona, including the video, on a mainstream newspaper's website. And an article about Franken's resignation and the Alabama race. Trump is in the news daily, ofcourse.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/939485131693322240

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao

https://twitter.com/SameralAtrush/status/939483287826911232

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Trump this is really boring.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Christ, he's so bad at wordplay.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Martian posted:

1) Everything you post in here, ever, is about yourself, it's getting tiresome.

Sorry, I'm going through a bad time and have no one to talk to. I realize I've been pushing it, I will stop.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jesus, that rear end in a top hat *really* wants his state run media. We are super, super, super lucky he's so bad at this Fascist thing

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr Interweb posted:

Man, both the designs and the animation in that episode are AWFUL.

I thought WB was known for having the A-teams do the animation work?

Good first couple seasons then they shuffled it off to b-teams in the later season(s).

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Fox News Later: "Trump owns lib fake news with masterful burn!"

We really have the most petty President in history.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

Sorry, I'm going through a bad time and have no one to talk to. I realize I've been pushing it, I will stop.

This is just not the right place, join the Dutch thread and practice our lovely language!

PS the thread is full of assholes, but what can you do

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So what was attendance like at Trump's rally last night?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So what was attendance like at Trump's rally last night?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/939475127552618496
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/939477807813595136

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Crow Jane posted:

Christ, he's so bad at wordplay.

Fair and balanced? More like unfair and unbalanced!

• Locked thread