Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

At my lab we're giving people 50mg of synthetic THC and they're still not feeling any effects. We're currently seeking approval to raise that limit too. I don't know about you or Shim but my colleagues have talked with some people who smoke more than 80 joints/day, so you might have a long way to go

Christ, that’s pretty much a 4 pack a day habit of unfiltered cigarettes. Any claim that joints aren’t as bad for you as cigarettes is based on the fact that you’ll only smoke like one every day at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Speaking as a former "functional" alcoholic there's no such thing, just a drunk with rationalization.
There are alcoholics who can hold things together at work for the most part, which probably involves some top cover from their drinking buddies. But those guys are still a ticking time bomb.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Christ, that’s pretty much a 4 pack a day habit of unfiltered cigarettes. Any claim that joints aren’t as bad for you as cigarettes is based on the fact that you’ll only smoke like one every day at most.

Excuse me but people OD on the weed all the time by smoking multiple weeds a day.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ed-allegations/

Goddamnit. I’ve been listening to On Point off and on for over 10 years.

And right after John Hockenberry...

Is there a single man in the news and entertainment industry who hasn't abused his position?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

You’d think they’d vape these days.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

And then rapidly colonize with your own people with robust (enough) lines of supplies and communication.

yeah, kill and displace. Its want Israel is trying to do but there is more international scrutiny in 2017 than there was in the 1800s

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ded posted:

Excuse me but people OD on the weed all the time by smoking multiple weeds a day.

Inhaling burnt plant matter is still bad for you even if THC isn’t. Stay safe and vape!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Stultus Maximus posted:

And right after John Hockenberry...

Is there a single man in the news and entertainment industry who hasn't abused his position?

John Hockenberry was tedious and horrible to listen to and I'm glad he got rolled up. He was one of the worst professional interviewers I've ever heard.

I did like both Garrison Keillor and Tom Ashbrook's work quite a bit, though, and I'm crossing my fingers in both cases that whatever comes out isn't too horrible.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

at the date posted:

John Hockenberry was tedious and horrible to listen to and I'm glad he got rolled up. He was one of the worst professional interviewers I've ever heard.

I did like both Garrison Keillor and Tom Ashbrook's work quite a bit, though, and I'm crossing my fingers in both cases that whatever comes out isn't too horrible.

Keillor was known to be kind of a cold spergy jerk in person so I wouldn't be surprised if he did some weirdly creepy poo poo to someone.

And I'd say it's sad but poo poo, the guy already retired so it's not like we're deprived of anything. It's not like it's going to taint my enjoyment of his work. If you dig literature, you've already accepted great work from enormous assholes.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Bolow posted:

From a page or so back. But has there actually been any genuinely successful COIN operations that aren't Malay? Even Malay took 29 years all told, and the British still relinquished control of it in the end?

I would argue that COIN was successful in Iraq post-2007. The problem is we had no idea what the gently caress to do with Iraq.

The problem is we invaded Iraq in the first place.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Suicide Watch posted:

At my lab we're giving people 50mg of synthetic THC and they're still not feeling any effects. We're currently seeking approval to raise that limit too. I don't know about you or Shim but my colleagues have talked with some people who smoke more than 80 joints/day, so you might have a long way to go

I'm amazed to meet a goon who actually does research with their "research chemicals."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

I would argue that COIN was successful in Iraq post-2007. The problem is we had no idea what the gently caress to do with Iraq.

The problem is we invaded Iraq in the first place.
I wouldn't call bribing everyone to behave themselves as successful COIN.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

I would argue that COIN was successful in Iraq post-2007.

Just how post? 2023?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

Eh, I concede the point. I don't know much about the details other than Petraeus got put in charge, COIN became a thing, and violence started going down significantly.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ed-allegations/

Goddamnit. I’ve been listening to On Point off and on for over 10 years.

Tom Ashbrook is married to a woman whom he met via Twitter after she tweeted at him https://www.boston.com/news/media/2017/06/18/wburs-on-point-host-tom-ashbrook-gets-remarried-to-harvard-staffer-he-first-met-on-twitter

Obviously we've yet to hear the seriousness of allegations against him, but doesn't this, while seeming innocuous, show that he was prone to pushing things a bit far?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Don't worry about that whole ISIS thing, I'm sure it was just a fluke

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Suicide Watch posted:

Tom Ashbrook is married to a woman whom he met via Twitter after she tweeted at him https://www.boston.com/news/media/2017/06/18/wburs-on-point-host-tom-ashbrook-gets-remarried-to-harvard-staffer-he-first-met-on-twitter

Obviously we've yet to hear the seriousness of allegations against him, but doesn't this, while seeming innocuous, show that he was prone to pushing things a bit far?

He was also married to his first wife for 42 years until she died of cancer. Seems kinda silly to read that much into his how he met his second.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

How hot of a take is “post WWII Europe and Japan proves this strategy works”

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

The guy’s wife died relatively young a few years ago, so who knows how he internalized and dealt with his grief. I haven’t listened to his show for a while so I dunno if he’s discussed it. I should also note that I’m talking specifically about how he met his current wife, not whatever it is he’s accused of.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Suicide Watch posted:

I have no idea what these people do everyday aside from blazin it

I worked at a liquor store/cigarette shop for three years and we sold a gently caress ton of cigarillos (Swisher Sweets and similar brands). There were several people who I would come in 3+ times during every single one of my shifts. Their entire lives must have revolved around waking up, walking to the liquor store to buy cigarillos, going home and smoking 2-3 blunts, walking back to the liquor store and repeating the process. Every day. I probably sold over a hundred cigarillos a day and I'd guess maybe 5% of them were smoked normally without replacing the tobacco with weed. There was one guy who was almost certainly a dealer who would come in every week or two and buy 4 boxes of 15 3-packs. I always figured he gave them away to his customers :v:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

KildarX posted:

Everything I can find on that subject indicates pounds consumed in less than 30 minutes.

If I had to guess smoking wise you'd die of the smoke entering your lungs before the THC itself kills you.

A video by ASAP science points to half a ton of smoked marijuana and about 45 pounds of eaten and activated marijuana buds will cause issues with your mortality.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Thalantos posted:

How the hell do you smoke 80 joints a day and not just be in a mindless haze the entire time?

I mean, poo poo, I love the green, but I don't think I could smoke that much even if you paid me. Goddamn.

Yeah I’m at about 10 a day and it’s hazy a lot.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

my kinda ape posted:

There was one guy who was almost certainly a dealer who would come in every week or two and buy 4 boxes of 15 3-packs.

Two years of liquor store work here, and these dudes were my favorite customers. They never gave me any grief because we both knew what they did for a living, and they made sure none of their customers/buddies tried to screw with me (it's the lovely part of town where we've had 8 shootings in the past month and a half, even though we've got a population of less than 50,000 people). Good dudes.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How do you guys afford so much weed

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

How do you guys afford so much weed

it's not what you know, it's who you know.

it's also super cheap compared to street prices in places where it is legal (or so i have heard from people who live in places where it is legal)

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i just bought an eighth and that will last me probably most of december. It was like $40, so cheaper than drinking beer for me.

But I'm apparently on the low end of the weed smoking curve here in gip.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I quit flower itself back in february and either vape hash or use an oil rig where I heat a quartz nail up with a pocket torch, and apply the hash with a little tool (a small screwdriver works). Depending on the day, I smoke a quarter to a half gram of 80% average thc. Usually hit the rig in the morning, vape pen when I'm out somewhere (not all the time everywhere, mostly breaks at work), and oil rig again after work.

So anywhere from 200-400mg of thc on a weekday. And I'm completely functional. Weekend days can be probably in the 500-600mg range if the weather is poo poo and I'm huddled in my shitbox apartment.

I've eaten enough edibles from shops to know that 50mg is only a baseline for me. If I want to knock myself off my feet, it's more like 150-250mg with the occasional dab to drive it up. Then I'm not going anywhere but the door to sign for a pizza, or a local walk with Frank. The common dose for a non-regular user is 10mg. Semi-regular is 20mg or so. That's usually enough to make someone giddy for a few hours then lull off into a nap. Not even a speed bump for me.

I definitely have a dependency on it, am fully aware of it, and if the VA needs a guinea pig for effects studies on marijuana, sign me the gently caress up.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
jfc that 80% poo poo is too much for me, I think what I got today is like 21%.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i was smoking an ounce a week when i got out of the army. came out to four blunts a day.

it helped me not lose my loving mind when i got out, and when i would be without it i was noticeably more depressed and angry with the world.

now i stopped because it does make me lazy, and i'm in my last year of undergrad and want to be productive. staying busy is a good replacement. i usually smoke during breaks though.

weed is way better than anti-depressants and mood stabilizers for me.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I drink a lot of tea. Tea can get expensive depending on where it’s from.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Soulex posted:

Yeah I’m at about 10 a day and it’s hazy a lot.

Like....I tried smoking as much weed as I could once, I only got thru 4-5 joints over a 24 hr period.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

But life sucks, being sober is a suckers game.

At least I haven't killed myself yet, lol

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Thalantos posted:

:same:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

boop the snoot posted:

it's not what you know, it's who you know.

it's also super cheap compared to street prices in places where it is legal (or so i have heard from people who live in places where it is legal)

An ounce of flower in Denver runs around $100-150. A gram of hash (shatter or wax) can be had for less than $20/g. Live resin bottoms out around $25/g. Just have to know where to look for deals. The Leafly app is good for this.

I usually grab the recreational limit of 8 grams of hash about every three weeks. That's the single purchase limit, not a tracked thing. That can be from $120-160 after taxes at the regular places I hit. It's really not that expensive here. Where new markets are opening, it's still probably much higher.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Aww. :( ::hugs:: you got this, buddy! Stick it out!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i bought a quarter yesterday for $55

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
$750 for a zip of shatter. Its all individual 1g packets of different strains. My dealer is a good friend though so that helps

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Thalantos posted:

The irony of the VA trying for years to tell me to lay off the weed and just take opioid painkillers for my back is definitely not lost on me.

Once you've moved into heavy use territory, getting motivated to do anything is still hard, but nowhere near as difficult as doing it when you're still in reach of the grasp of giggle fits. I'm actually the lightest I've been since I was a teenager. That has a lot to do with my job and my dog keeping me active, but I definitely broke the munchy curse. A USA Today article a while back found heavy marijuana users were generally less likely to be obese than infrequent users or non-users. Who the gently caress knows where USA Today got that data from, but it was there for all to see, in a paper usually associated with groups that prefer it remain prohibited.

Thank gently caress for Colorado.

And Army beat Navy. Good poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Thalantos posted:

I'm sober, but I spend all my money on car projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The common dose for a non-regular user is 10mg. Semi-regular is 20mg or so.
I ate a lab-tested 15mg edible with almost no tolerance and experienced fairly dramatic open eye visuals; hieroglyphic shifting patterns on surfaces etc. My heart was racing, I was drenched in sweat, and I felt very overwhelmed until I went outside.

So don't underestimate the power of weed with no tolerance.

• Locked thread