Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
so how do i short the bitcoin market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Godholio posted:

There is a pizza place in SLC that takes bitcoin. Or at least they did.
If you want your bitcoin transaction processed within half an hour, you're looking at $15-25 in fees. So more than the cost of the pizza itself.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I just don't get why people tell a story by creating 20 twitter posts when they can put text on a website and link it. just make a good doc
People who would have kept a WordPress blog now just maintain a Twitter.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

GoGoGadget posted:

So the goon census on Bitcoin has always been that a crash is imminent, ever since it started. But it just seems to go up and up?

I don't understand it though. How are people exchanging Bitcoin for real money to "cash out"? I asked someone on Facebook and they claimed they use paypal. But I thought paypal was very anti-Bitcoin? The whole thing is really confusing.

A crash will happen at some point. Like any bubble it'll depend on the time that the number of suckers coming into the market drops below the people cashing out - the people cashing out are in control. The thing is that it's really very skewed in terms of the suckers coming in right now thanks to publicity - not that you can't be lucky and make a few bucks, but I'd rather bet on a football game. I'd be as likely to win and at least I wouldn't feel guilty about fleecing someone.

In fact, if you want a guaranteed payout for doing something as immoral, start a free energy scam - they were the rage in the 90s. You'll pull in millions and maybe do a year in jail when you get caught. And keep most of the cash.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Hexyflexy posted:

A crash will happen at some point. Like any bubble it'll depend on the time that the number of suckers coming into the market drops below the people cashing out - the people cashing out are in control. The thing is that it's really very skewed in terms of the suckers coming in right now thanks to publicity - not that you can't be lucky and make a few bucks, but I'd rather bet on a football game. I'd be as likely to win and at least I wouldn't feel guilty about fleecing someone.

In fact, if you want a guaranteed payout for doing something as immoral, start a free energy scam - they were the rage in the 90s. You'll pull in millions and maybe do a year in jail when you get caught. And keep most of the cash.

Also relevant is that Bitcoins don't generate income. There is no inherent value there except as a commodity (in the loosest sense of the term at that) - the only reason to own it is speculation or as a hedge, and there's not really a coherent explanation as to what you're hedging. That leaves speculation.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

Or just start a GoFundMe for some bullshit. Ain't nothing wrong with scamming people out of their money when you're up front about it, apparently.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

psydude posted:

Or just start a GoFundMe for some bullshit. Ain't nothing wrong with scamming people out of their money when you're up front about it, apparently.

Thats capitalism!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

whats a free energy scam

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

boop the snoot posted:

Wedgie anyone who talks to you about them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You can short bitcoin on one or two exchanges that allow margin trading or via one of the regulated futures platforms, however, due to the fraudulent manipulation on the exchanges, margin trading is doubly risky because a malicious actor could manipulate the price trivially to liquidate your position.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The actual hosed up thing about Bitcoin melting the polar ice caps is that it does it casually by existing nevermind mining

https://twitter.com/feross/status/939296306987700225

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

whats a free energy scam

Perpetual Motion peddlers - I remember this one from reading Voodoo Science (good book) when I was a teenager a scam artist that got shitloads of people to invest in him. Generally you'd get a dude that'd do a high pressure sale thing with a bunch of people trying to sell you a box that'd "stop the man ripping you off, because electricity is meant to be free man!" if only you spent $1000 and plugged it in. They were huge in the 90s. X-Files and all that conspiracy crap going around. I'm surprised there aren't more of them around now.

r.e. Cold Fusion.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hexyflexy posted:

Perpetual Motion peddlers - I remember this one from reading Voodoo Science (good book) when I was a teenager a scam artist that got shitloads of people to invest in him. Generally you'd get a dude that'd do a high pressure sale thing with a bunch of people trying to sell you a box that'd "stop the man ripping you off, because electricity is meant to be free man!" if only you spent $1000 and plugged it in. They were huge in the 90s. X-Files and all that conspiracy crap going around. I'm surprised there aren't more of them around now.

r.e. Cold Fusion.

See also 100mpg carburetor

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

r.e. Cold Fusion.

Teenage Scam Artist is Weird Al's parody of Against Me!'s Teenage Anarchist.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Moller Aerocar was a great 90s scam also

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

r.e. Cold Fusion.

Oh, I thought you meant posing as an energy utility

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I just don't get why people tell a story by creating 20 twitter posts when they can put text on a website and link it. just make a good doc

Probably same reason people make a shakycam video of something while umm and uhhh ing their way into making a 30 second thing take 15+ minutes to explain while you get to watch them wiggle their mouse or something. You use what you have on hand I guess.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
No introduction required.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/940399983181869056

Edit: the video is incredible https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/940409570249371648

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 12, 2017

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I'm not racist, my best friend is [PoC].

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Oh, I thought you meant posing as an energy utility

Let me tell you about this great investment I have in a company called Enron

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I still think one of the greatest technological injustices in history is the retard-panic that killed the nuclear power industry.

gently caress we could have so much safe and clean energy if it weren't for a bunch of retards in Pennsylvania flipping safety practices the bird and illiterate Soviet peasants being handed control of a nuclear power plant.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Ok so ATT are apparently signing me up for phones and sending them to me despite not ordering any.

I honestly don’t know what the gently caress is going on. My dad didn’t do it.

Like the order confirmation is through their website. I got two orders for three phones total. I haven’t placed a single order.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

Sell bad GPU's at premium prices.
Own a local utility company?

Soulex posted:

Ok so ATT are apparently signing me up for phones and sending them to me despite not ordering any.

Like the order confirmation is through their website. I got two orders for three phones total. I haven’t placed a single order.

Are you sure it's AT&T sending those emails?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Soulex posted:

Congratulations, you're identity has been stolen. Start calling you bank and credit cards first thing in the morning.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Is that supposed to be a bad joke send up of criticism or is she making a literal argument? How do people not understand that nobody can tell the difference anymore!?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

r.e. Cold Fusion.

Didn't old timey forum user EDGECRUSHER do something like this involving an alternator hooked up to an electric motor like 15 years ago?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Edgecrusher invented a fan blowing on a generator

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

BigDave posted:

Congratulations, you're identity has been stolen. Start calling you bank and credit cards first thing in the morning.
Looks like it. That or they just decided to put me on the NEXT program which is what it also looks like.

quote:

="Immanentized" post="479250487"]
Sell bad GPU's at premium prices.
Own a local utility company?

Are you sure it's AT&T sending those emails?

100%. I logged onto the website and did it there. I just copied the email. It’s under my account. It’s shipping to my town according to FedEx. It’s weird.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Didn't old timey forum user EDGECRUSHER do something like this involving an alternator hooked up to an electric motor like 15 years ago?

Which is hilarious because motor-generators are a real thing and are used to stabilise power curves

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Charles Barkley is speaking for Doug Jones tonight at his final rally

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I hope he tells alabama to shut up and jam.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I hope he tells alabama to shut up and jam.

BOOM-shaka-laka

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

Not really. He shorted his products. The CDO managers all got rich anyway; as he says they assumed no risk.

Shut up I like to think at least somebody got punished :smith:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Shut up I like to think at least somebody got punished :smith:

Hell yeah someone got punished.

Just turns out it was old people who couldn't retire and young people who can't get jobs, because the old people won't retire.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

mlmp08 posted:

Hell yeah someone got punished.

Just turns out it was old people who couldn't retire and young people who can't get jobs, because the old people won't retire.

Why retire when you have no pension? Gotta eat somehow

Edit:

lol

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/940418123332759552

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 12, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Smiling Jack posted:

Moller Aerocar was a great 90s scam also

'Smart' guy I was on the boat with put his entire enlistment bonus into Moller.

Another one messaged me last week about how to make bitcoins

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Which is hilarious because motor-generators are a real thing and are used to stabilise power curves

gently caress carbon DC brushes.

we all looked like coal miners when were done cleaning MGs

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 12, 2017

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

:stonk:

December Current Events: Accidentally met child prostitutes at a brothel.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Soulex posted:

Looks like it. That or they just decided to put me on the NEXT program which is what it also looks like.

100%. I logged onto the website and did it there. I just copied the email. It’s under my account. It’s shipping to my town according to FedEx. It’s weird.

Either they happen to live in your town and are having it shipped to their address or it's headed to your house and they're hoping you haven't noticed what's going on and they're going to try to nab the boxes from your porch when they get delivered.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Motor Generator clean and inspects are proof that god is either dead or hates human beings

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BigDave posted:

:stonk:

December Current Events: Accidentally met child prostitutes at a brothel.

Don’t worry. He says they were underage and very pretty. But then he says they left and let the third guy they came with have a wild night without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Why retire when you have no pension? Gotta eat somehow

Edit:

lol

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/940418123332759552

Thank you for giving me yet another thing I'm going to have to explain to my parents is not normal over the holidays.

• Locked thread