Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If MIL actually wanted to help, she would donate her poop :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Anyone who would skip a bonfire is irredeemable

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Palpek posted:

Coworker's (m38) wife (f30s) confronted me (f27) at my company's party. Boyfriend (M30) uncomfortable now, work uncomfortable.

drat, she got you dead to rights, huh.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

tactlessbastard posted:

Anyone who would skip a bonfire is irredeemable

Seriously all you have to do at a bonfire is

1.) Drink the shine

2.) Don't fall in the fire

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Thanks for the assist with that conclusive "This woman is extremely unhealthy" info, LPS

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

La Brea Carpet posted:

Seriously all you have to do at a bonfire is

1.) Drink the shine

2.) Don't fall in the fire

At least two of my brothers have proved rule 2 isn't mandatory

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Also given that new info that I was too lazy to go get, I really wouldn't be surprised if the MIL did quietly ask her about her health because she was panting after walking three loving miles and the crazy woman turned it into a bigger thing

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

LadyPictureShow posted:

What I don't get is why hasn't her mom kicked his dumb, lazy rear end out? Sure, she started dating him at 19 and probably figures 'b-b-but he loves me!'

But fuckin lol at his threat being to move back to his mom's house. No kiddo, better sink your claws into that man as fiercely as you can. He's definitely a keeper.

E: these age gap ones take me back. My freshman year roommate started dating a 30 year old guy (who had been her HS track coach). Me and her had gotten along before that, but we started getting into huge arguments over the fact I was not comfortable with a 30 year old dude hanging around our double or spending the weekend unannounced. I of course was a 'bitter soulless bitch' in this situation (because they were 'in love', you see, and he wasn't just a huge loving creeper, no sir)

Mom's probably kinda broken about men, too.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BR, the more I read her morbidly fascinating comments, the more I can't look away. She didn't participate in the 5K even.

quote:

Thank you for your response but running a 5k? That doesn't seem not only not "reasonable" but like an extreme activity?

She's also harping that people look up Linda Bacon and Lucy Aphramor, who I assume are people saying weight doesn't gently caress up your joints.

I'm glad we got while the getting was good, because that poo poo got taken down.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

La Brea Carpet posted:

Me [24 F] and my picky eater husband[25 M] have recently gotten bad news from the doctor (more him than me) and it looks like we need to eat healthy and exercise but its a fight every step of the way :/ HELP

Did you find at least two buried ledes? I did.
1) Kid eats better.
2) Picky eater manages a restaurant
3) Instead of trying to get him to eat less garbage she's complaining that he doesn't eat different garbage. His not eating condiments, casseroles, cheese, bread and mustard are not what's making him unhealthy.
4) 20-24 beers a week!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
How do I uninvite a girl from a party who cheated on my best friend?

quote:

I [23M] hosting a going away party in a few weeks time, and invited most of my friends to it. A few months ago, two of my friends who were dating broke up because the girl[21] cheated on the guy[21], who happens to be my best friend. I have known both the guy and the girl for 3 years from university. I do not know the girl as well as him, but she's still a friend. I specifically didn't invite her to the Facebook event for this reason, but somehow she must have found it or someone invited her and now it shows her as going.

My best friend is still upset with her and will likely not come, or have a bad time if she is there, so I want to uninvite her. What is the most tactful way of doing this? I was thinking of sending her a message saying something along the lines of:

"Hey Girl, this is pretty awkward, but I'm uninviting you from my party. Guy is going to be there and as you know he's one of my best friends, and I want him to be comfortable. Sorry, I would have liked you to be there too, but I also want Guy to have a good time. I hope you understand"

What do you think?

TL;DR: I want to uninvite a girl from a party who cheated on my best friend as I would prefer he come instead of her, and he would be uncomfortable if she were there. What's the best way to go about doing this?

EDIT: I have messaged her. Thanks for your input everyone. Here's what I wrote:

Hi GIRL. This is pretty awkward to say, but I think it would better if you didn't come to my party. BOY will be there. You would be welcome if he weren't coming, but I want him to be comfortable.

Reddit how do I tell someone they can’t come to a party because they cheated on someone there and it would make things uncomfortable? Oh, I should say exactly that? Oh ok.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LadyPictureShow posted:

I looked in the quotes. This gal seems interesting
There is no way this girl is in any shape other than spherical, goddamn.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

1) Kid eats better.
2) Picky eater manages a restaurant
3) Instead of trying to get him to eat less garbage she's complaining that he doesn't eat different garbage. His not eating condiments, casseroles, cheese, bread and mustard are not what's making him unhealthy.
4) 20-24 beers a week!

5.) Had kid at 16/17

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

LadyPictureShow posted:

BR, the more I read her morbidly fascinating comments, the more I can't look away. She didn't participate in the 5K even.

She's also harping that people look up Linda Bacon and Lucy Aphramor, who I assume are people saying weight doesn't gently caress up your joints.

I'm glad we got while the getting was good, because that poo poo got taken down.

For some reason, all these idiots always point to one or two extremely specific people saying things that every other person in that field disagrees with, and because it agrees with their specific broke brains they take it as fact

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I looked in the quotes. This gal seems interesting

3 miles takes me almost 20 minutes to drive on my work commute.
She drives at 9 miles per hour? I don't think she even knows how far 3 miles is. Maybe that 20 minutes includes the 3 minutes to walk from the front door to the car and 10 minutes from her parking spot to wherever she works?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

She drives at 9 miles per hour? I don't think she even knows how far 3 miles is. Maybe that 20 minutes includes the 3 minutes to walk from the front door to the car and 10 minutes from her parking spot to wherever she works?

It takes me 45 minutes to drive 11 miles to work. If traffic is heavy it can easily take an hour or more.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What? Do you live in some weird world where there isn't traffic? I live in Chicago, I commute 29ish miles to work, it takes me 45 minutes, not because I drive 2 miles an hour, but because the first 2-3 miles to get to the highway take 20-30 minutes.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Blade Runner posted:

For some reason, all these idiots always point to one or two extremely specific people saying things that every other person in that field disagrees with, and because it agrees with their specific broke brains they take it as fact

Ser also, climate change deniers, antivaxxers, communists

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

MF_James posted:

What? Do you live in some weird world where there isn't traffic? I live in Chicago, I commute 29ish miles to work, it takes me 45 minutes, not because I drive 2 miles an hour, but because the first 2-3 miles to get to the highway take 20-30 minutes.

Sure, but taking traffic into account if you're using a car to measure how fast you go is idiotic. I live in NYC, that doesn't mean I can sprint faster than a car just because it's usually way faster to walk than drive.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Fair enough. I walk 3 miles to work so while I'm aware of heavy traffic I don't really think of how much impact it can have on such a short commute. Still seems a weird comparison to make but not surprising given the flimsiness of all her other arguments.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

My (m,28) girlfriend (f,26) of 4 years is out late with another guy. Again.

quote:

I have a history of being insecure about guys who my girlfriend spends a lot of time with. I am certain she's never cheated on me (physically), however, with every guy I've been insecure about, I've been vindicated. Each time I get uneasy about a guy, we fight about it for a couple of weeks before either he ends up confessing his feelings for her or she says that she's trying to sort through her feelings for him. Now, I get that crushes happen even when you're in a long term relationship but in my mind, the key is to have some self awareness, communicate and to put the extra effort into your relationship.

It's 11pm on a Wednesday and my girlfriend is still not home. She's got work tomorrow. We live together. I called her around 6 and she said she was staying late to work on a project with this guy. She hasn't answered my calls since. I strongly doubt she's hooking up with him but it's the emotional cheating that I'm concerned about. She stayed late to work with him yesterday, she stayed late with him.on Monday, she spent almost the entire Sunday with him. Yet every time I bring up that, she says they're just friends and implies I'm a horrible person for implying she's cheating on me. She never admits that I was right or that she's done something wrong.

The problem is if I bring it up and we fight about it it's only reinforcing the behaviour because he's a source of fun and excitement whereas I'm a source of tension and conflict.

I don't know what to do. I'm in love with her but right now she's making me miserable. I was considering proposing to this girl a few months ago and now I'm wondering if I'm delusional for thinking she's not cheating on me.

Help me Reddit. I'm confused and hurting.

tldr: girlfriend is staying late at work with a guy I'm insecure about for the 4th night in a row, is ignoring my concerns

So why is he so convinced that she is not cheating on him despite ignoring his calls while spending the past 4 days with another dude?

quote:

She has very strong opinions about what is right and wrong. She doesn't see herself as the kind of person who would do anything wrong but seems oblivious about emotional cheating. In her mind, hanging out with someone is fine as long as there's nothing physical going on. That's a clear boundary. Emotional cheating is more of a blurred line. The line she's used in the past is "I'm allowed to have male friends. You telling me who I can and can't hang out with feels very controlling"

Yeah that's...everyone. That's default human mode.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Enfys posted:

My (m,28) girlfriend (f,26) of 4 years is out late with another guy. Again.

So why is he so convinced that she is not cheating on him despite ignoring his calls while spending the past 4 days with another dude?

Yeah that's...everyone. That's default human mode.
I do things that are wrong all the time, the woman is crazy

Also she's basically doing the whole "not touching you" thing but with that dude's dick

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

She has very strong opinions about what is right and wrong. She doesn't see herself as the kind of person who would do anything wrong

All that means is that she has decided it's justifiable to cheat on you, you complete noodle

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

quote:

3 miles takes me almost 20 minutes to drive on my work commute. It's ridiculously far and before this thread (because apparently I'm poo poo who doesn't understand anything, even though I've read up on all the latest research) I would think that 3 miles is far too long for any person to do in one stretch of walking and running is terrible for the human body. So yeah...there's that.

Could it really be possible for a normal human to survive a three mile walk without significant health consequences?

...No. It's the everybody else who are wrong.

(Still, no need to shame her right there at the table.)

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Doc Hawkins posted:

Could it really be possible for a normal human to survive a three mile walk without significant health consequences?

...No. It's the everybody else who are wrong.

(Still, no need to shame her right there at the table.)

if they think that running is bad for you and humans cant walk three miles then yeah nah it's fine to shame them for being a big fat fuckwit

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Me [49/M] with my son's mom [26/F] 5 years: Why is my son's mother mad at me?

quote:

I am a social scientist working in social applications of original, first order cybernetic (modern days systems theory) theories/laws along with research in various psychosocial applications. I have a few advanced degrees which would impress noone. I've at least tried to understand as much as I can about how our brains work and interact with other brains.

I've picked up a few bits of wisdom along the way, but I still have no clue as to how to understand the female brain. I'm not joking. I don't say this in jest. She was making lunch and I asked her where something was and she snapped, "don't talk to me!" And she's a strong black woman, let me tell you , so when she snaps....you pay attention.

So, immediately recognizing I was in trouble, I started to go through my inventory of screw ups. And I was scanning in hyper mode. And nothing came up. The day had been good so far. We had some smiles, some light hearted talk about nothing...and then wham! She snaps at me and I go running to my room like a child (I'm more than 20 years older than her mind you) and I'm now I'm afraid to come out?

What is this? Is this like something she was holding onto for just the right moment to let out? Maybe she was trying not to be confrontational and tried to hold it it, but she finally burst?

I don't know. And I'm NOT going out there to try and talk to her. Please give me advice.

A little afraid.

tl;dr: why my baby momma mad at me?

:thunk:

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

La Brea Carpet posted:

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

Blade Runner posted:

I do things that are wrong all the time, the woman is crazy

Also she's basically doing the whole "not touching you" thing but with that dude's dick

IMO it's more like Zeno's Paradox (with Dick)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

La Brea Carpet posted:

:mitt:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate reddit.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Irish name aint so bad - could've been Pnurtis

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Lol at whoever said a 5k run was low impact. I’m a fat gently caress whose hips have been pinned in place since 2nd grade. I’m now trying to lose weight, but running is strictly off the table per doctors because it’s high impact and my hips would destroy themselves at half my weight.

That said, I’d still go as a walk because I actually am trying to lose weight.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

La Brea Carpet posted:

At a holiday gathering my (26f) MIL (60s) said "there's a really pretty girl under all those pounds" to me in front of all my inlaws. She refuses to apologize and my husband (26m) thinks we "can't miss" the New Years/50th Anniversary party. I'm livid.

Started reading, she opened with,

quote:

Obviously there's a ton of backstory here

and I lost it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Lol at whoever said a 5k run was low impact. I’m a fat gently caress whose hips have been pinned in place since 2nd grade. I’m now trying to lose weight, but running is strictly off the table per doctors because it’s high impact and my hips would destroy themselves at half my weight.

Get in the pool, fat goon. Even if you're just walking from side to side it's super good for you and low impact.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Difference here is you actually want to do physical activity.

Ice skating is good cardio and low impact on your knees. You could also do bike riding if that tickles your fancy.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Running is not low impact, you people are insane if you think so, doesn't matter if you're fat, skinny or a potato, running is not a low impact sport. Did they walk the whole 5k? That's low impact, jogging/running are high impact.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

MF_James posted:

This is some hilarious math

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

This is some hilarious math

Are you saying you don't drive over 100 mph on your daily commute?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Vargatron posted:

Difference here is you actually want to do physical activity.

Ice skating is good cardio and low impact on your knees. You could also do bike riding if that tickles your fancy.

Ice skating is on the eventually list. My building has a gym and I’m using the stationary bike there, I can post and ride. I can finally do 30 minutes, but my heart rate averages 145.

new phone who dis posted:

Get in the pool, fat goon. Even if you're just walking from side to side it's super good for you and low impact.

This is also advice I should take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Ellipticals are good for low impact, if your doctors okay it. I had to use one for a while when my doctor told me to lay off running on pavement for a while.

Though I thought the umbrage was at the fact she considered 3.1 miles an insurmountable distance to even walk.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 13, 2017