Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Koalas March posted:

Lmao why are gifs some kind of white man kryptonite

Every time I call out fragility/racism it's straight to the gifs like it's some sort of burn. I should make a bingo card

Get the gently caress over it 😂😂😂

White Culture is an Oxymoron?

Condiv posted:

then why gloat about those people getting left behind?

Because I'm a bitter vindictive rear end in a top hat? I essentially outsource the empathy I should probably pretend to have for the shitlords I grew up with to the people I vote/donate money to. At the very least I'm not taking their money and votes and then directly screwing them over like the GOP.

edit: Oh, if you're asking about me gloating about PoC/Dems in Rural areas etc, I'm not. But I can't save everyone. I've only got so much 'worry about other people' in me and I generally direct that to people in my local community who I can have an appreciable effect (affect? grammar is hard) on.

Ganson fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Koalas March posted:

Every time I call out fragility/racism it's straight to the gifs like it's some sort of burn. I should make a bingo card

Because it's the same low-effort posting that you're ragging on me for?
But wait, I hit the reply button! That means I fell into your fragility trap, first by scoffing at the seriousness of white genocide, then by admiting I posted it in the wrong thread! I do hope the white power can hold me together. (Also: not white. So it would be male fragility. So mark the other square, please.)

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

im fragile and proud

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Ganson posted:

Scroll back a couple pages. I went into how my disdain for rural voters does not extend to PoC, trapped LGBT people, etc. It's almost exclusively for white rural voters, mostly the townies/suburbanites I had the displeasure of growing up with. I fully admit to growing up in white hegemony and am guilty of the sin of forgetting about others, even though I have sympathy for their cause and vote/donate money accordingly.
I did. Again unironically this:

Ganson posted:

Because I'm a bitter vindictive rear end in a top hat?
And this:

Ze Pollack posted:

half the black wealth in the country being destroyed was good, actually, because some racists suffered too.

cool beans
Look basically the same to me. Like obviously you aren't happy about black wealth being destroyed, and you seem to prefer that black wealth not be destroyed, but you also seem to be saying black wealth being destroyed isn't so bad so long as white rural voters also got hosed with. Otherwise you would just be saying "Oh yeah, Obama's policies were really bad" and not:

Ganson posted:

He didn't gently caress up the recovery from the housing crash too horrendously (yes I know half the country hasn't recovered, I live in a not-poo poo top 20 city because an idiot could tell the rural country was going to get boned either way, eat it suckas)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it's cool to tell black people to eat poo poo for being in the wrong half of the country, suckas, because some rural whites got owned too, in my opinion

what's the ratio, i wonder, of black suffering to rural white suffering that makes it okay. the ratio 'five to three' keeps jumping into my head for some reason- you have any contributions on that point, Ganson?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

But wait, I hit the reply button! That means I fell into your fragility trap, first by scoffing at the seriousness of white genocide, then by admiting I posted it in the wrong thread! I do hope the white power can hold me together. (Also: not white. So it would be male fragility. So mark the other square, please.)

Whatchu got against me mayne

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

HootTheOwl posted:

You can make low-effort posts if they're good posts. Most of KM's posts fall in this category. Yours are sometimes low-effort, sometimes high, but very often bad. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :shrug:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Koalas March posted:

KM, you know you can't get a bingo by getting the same space over.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 14, 2017

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

twodot posted:

but you also seem to be saying black wealth being destroyed isn't so bad so long as white rural voters also got hosed with. Otherwise you would just be saying "Oh yeah, Obama's policies were really bad" and not:

I have said nothing of the sort. My 'eat it suckas' applies to white rural townies/suburbanites, as I've stated multiple times I constantly forget there are more than just shitlord white MAGA pricks out in rural land because that's all I grew up with. Lock me up, I'm guilty of being a typical slightly left of center whitey despite my efforts to the contrary.

Yeah Obama's policies didn't help everyone equally, I'm well aware of this. And yes, I'm selfish for being happy that the few things he did helped out me and mine on health care, marriage equality, and keeping the GOP from enacting their fanfic fantasies for 8 years.

Ganson fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 14, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ganson posted:

I have said nothing of the sort. My 'eat it suckas' applies to white rural townies/suburbanites. Yeah Obama's policies didn't help everyone equally, I'm well aware of this.
Yes you are saying that Obama's policies weren't horrendous while tell white rural townies to eat it. You are doing this while other people are observing that black people loss wealth under Obama policies. The fact that you are doing these things at the same suggests you think there is some sort of relation between them. You're correct you haven't actually said the words, but I don't see how you can think Ze Pollack's post was an unreasonable interpretation of what you've said (even if you meant something different).

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

twodot posted:

Yes you are saying that Obama's policies weren't horrendous while tell white rural townies to eat it. You are doing this while other people are observing that black people loss wealth under Obama policies. The fact that you are doing these things at the same suggests you think there is some sort of relation between them. You're correct you haven't actually said the words, but I don't see how you can think Ze Pollack's post was an unreasonable interpretation of what you've said (even if you meant something different).

I don't know enough to speak to the affect Obama's policies on rural PoC so I'm not going to make an assertion on it. However multiple people seem to think because I'm mildly happy that some of Obama's policies helped me out (while some hurt, mainly around privacy) that this translates to, 'gently caress rural PoC,' which is simply not the case. Yes I didn't put the 'whitey' and realisitically 'GOP whitey' clause on my original statement, I'm putting it on there now.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ganson posted:

I don't know enough to speak to the affect Obama's policies on rural PoC so I'm not going to make an assertion on it. However multiple people seem to think because I'm mildly happy that some of Obama's policies helped me out (while some hurt, mainly around privacy) that this translates to, 'gently caress rural PoC,' which is simply not the case. Yes I didn't put the 'whitey' and realisitically 'GOP whitey' clause on my original statement, I'm putting it on there now.

Buddy, I'm gonna give you a tip here: When you're admittedly speaking out of a position of ignorance, you really shouldn't double down when confronted.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Buddy, I'm gonna give you a tip here: When you're admittedly speaking out of a position of ignorance, you really shouldn't double down when confronted.

Ok, thanks

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ganson posted:

I don't know enough to speak to the affect Obama's policies on rural PoC so I'm not going to make an assertion on it.
But you did make an assertion:

Ganson posted:

He didn't gently caress up the recovery from the housing crash too horrendously (yes I know half the country hasn't recovered, I live in a not-poo poo top 20 city because an idiot could tell the rural country was going to get boned either way, eat it suckas),
You are saying you think a thing is not horrendous, while claiming to care about what happened to rural PoC, implying you know that the thing that happened to them was not horrendous. This has nothing to do with you failing to specify GOP whitey or whatever, and everything to do with you calling Obama's policies not a disaster while saying the people it was a disaster to deserved it, and if some rural PoC got caught up in the crossfire, you're suddenly ignorant about what happened and aren't going to make any claims about happened, even though you already did.

twodot fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 14, 2017

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Koalas March posted:

Whatchu got against me mayne

Right now it's that you made me google "mayne".

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kilroy posted:

You can make low-effort posts if they're good posts. Most of KM's posts fall in this category. Yours are sometimes low-effort, sometimes high, but very often bad. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :shrug:

I'm getting dunked on by Kilroy? gently caress.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

KM, you know you can't get a bingo by getting the same space over.

Rule change suggestion: if you get the same square 5 times in the same thread it's a 3-D bingo.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

twodot posted:

You are saying you think a thing is not horrendous, while claiming to care about what happened to rural PoC, implying you know that the thing that happened to them was not horrendous. This has nothing to do with you failing to specify GOP whitey or whatever, and everything to do with you calling Obama's policies not a disaster while saying the people it was a disaster to deserved it, and if some rural PoC got caught up in the crossfire, you're suddenly ignorant about what happened and aren't going to make any claims about happened, even though you already did.

I'm not saying what happened to them wasn't horrendous. What did you expect Obama to do? Wealth and jobs have been flowing from rural areas to cities for years and the whites that control the levers in government in rural areas weren't exactly jumping to work with him. I didn't want rural PoC to get caught in the crossfire but neither Obama or I are a miracle workers with super powers or unlimited resources.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ganson posted:

I'm not saying what happened to them wasn't horrendous. What did you expect Obama to do? Wealth and jobs have been flowing from rural areas to cities for years and the whites that control the levers in government in rural areas weren't exactly jumping to work with him. I didn't want rural PoC to get caught in the crossfire but neither Obama or I are a miracle workers with super powers or unlimited resources.
You apparently don't even know what happened or care to research what happened, so I'm unclear on why you think I'd care to engage in a counterfactual policy discussion with you. I'm just telling you your posts and Ze Pollack's interpretation of your posts are a lot closer than you appear to think. "I didn't want rural PoC to lose a bunch of wealth alongside the other people who I did want to lose a bunch of wealth, the good part was good, and the bad part was just inevitable. There was literally nothing the President of the United States of America could have done better, he performed exactly the correct set of actions, oh well, better luck next time."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ganson posted:

perhaps "not make committing mortgage fraud on subprime mortgage holders legal, in the name of making the rich whole off the backs of the poor"

dunno, just spitballing here

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the crash was not obama's fault.

the decision to make sure that the poor paid the rich's gambling debts for them, instead of asking the rich to accept their losses? that one's on the Obama administration , and its explicit strategic decision "for the next two years, committing fraud in order to foreclose on people is legal."

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

Ze Pollack posted:

the crash was not obama's fault.

the decision to make sure that the poor paid the rich's gambling debts for them, instead of asking the rich to accept their losses? that one's on the Obama administration , and its explicit strategic decision "for the next two years, committing fraud in order to foreclose on people is legal."

I will absolutely agree with this, however this hosed over pretty much everyone (yes I will assume that certain groups, PoC prominently among them, were affected more than others. He's a politician, they're all corrupt disgusting scumbags).

twodot posted:

You apparently don't even know what happened or care to research what happened, so I'm unclear on why you think I'd care to engage in a counterfactual policy discussion with you. I'm just telling you your posts and Ze Pollack's interpretation of your posts are a lot closer than you appear to think. "I didn't want rural PoC to lose a bunch of wealth alongside the other people who I did want to lose a bunch of wealth, the good part was good, and the bad part was just inevitable. There was literally nothing the President of the United States of America could have done better, he performed exactly the correct set of actions, oh well, better luck next time."

I have not stated that he performed the exact set of correct actions. He could have absolutely done worse (or done nothing at all), especially after Dems lost the supermajority. And I never stated that I wanted any particular group to lose wealth, however I'm not going to cry in my cornflakes when rural GOP whites get hosed.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Ganson posted:

I have not stated that he performed the exact set of correct actions.
Why the gently caress are you posting this:

Ganson posted:

What did you expect Obama to do? [...]neither Obama or I are a miracle workers with super powers or unlimited resources.
if you don't think he performed the exact set of correct actions? You are directly implying Obama needed miraculous super powers and unlimited resources to have done anything better. Do you not understand that using rhetoric has consequence?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ganson posted:

A lot of them could start by not huffing paint thinner. It's especially pathetic when the person I'm thinking of had parents who owned several successful businesses. Yet this person gets to vote for people who try their damndest to take away my girlfriends healthcare or both of ours civil rights.

edit: No, I'm not a rereg. Though I've run into others in my situation with very similar sentiments.

You're not wrong for thinking such a person is worthy of contempt, but the reason they're worthy of contempt is because of their bigotry, and there isn't really a link between bigotry and the sort of stereotype you seem to have in mind. I also think it's important to separate your distaste for individuals with the fact that the opinions of large populations of people are the result of systemic factors. It's not like people who grow up in urban coastal areas just randomly have a "less bigoted" gene or something. Of course, the fact that circumstances contribute to people being bad doesn't change the fact they're bad, but it does imply a different large scale political approach.

I think one of the most harmful ideas I see thrown around is that lack of education is both associated with and a cause of bigotry (which carries with it an implication that correcting bigotry is just a matter of information/education). It carries with it an angle of classism, and it's flat out wrong to boot. I think it's a distraction from the people with the most power and responsibility for our current status quo.

Sorry for the rereg assumption by the way. This is a reminder of why I usually choose to avoid making such assumptions!

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

twodot posted:

You are directly implying Obama needed miraculous super powers and unlimited resources to have done anything better.

A congress that either wasn't missing a delegate of the Dem supermajority or wasn't completely and utterly opposed to anything he would suggest including 'water is wet' and 'gravity makes things fall down' would have helped. Separation of powers turned into 8 years of the party of no blocking any improvements on anything (including the ACA). There was a very interesting article I read years ago revolving around the passage of the ACA and how the Dems essentially only had about a 2 week window of supermajority to work with.

Ganson fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 14, 2017

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I also think it's important to separate your distaste for individuals with the fact that the opinions of large populations of people are the result of systemic factors.

I get that they are the way they are due to systemic issues (pick which ones you think they are, from lack of education to lead paint). When the result of this is that they attack me and mine at any opportunity I don't really give a poo poo what the underlying issue is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ganson posted:

The issue isn't that wealth is flowing from rural areas to cities so much as the fact that it's flowing from the bottom 80% to the top 20%. While the economy has experienced growth, nearly all the gains have gone to this group (which roughly represents credentialed/educated professionals).

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Really informative and interesting hearing someone post, again and again, about how they're glad that the folks who gave them swirlies in high school is now a meth addict.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

Helsing posted:

Really informative and interesting hearing someone post, again and again, about how they're glad that the folks who gave them swirlies in high school is now a meth addict.

We've all got to have a hobby. Going home is a pleasant experience now simply by seeing how far I've come.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Rhetorically masturbating yourself in public isn't much of a hobby.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Helsing posted:

Rhetorically masturbating yourself in public isn't much of a hobby.

its a way of life

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

yronic heroism posted:

Or are you just mad Obama didn’t literally drone strike Wall Street.

Do you own a hedge fund or something, like tell me you're at least making money from this.

Or are you just some idiot who lets Wall Street swindle him to own the left.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ganson posted:

I will absolutely agree with this, however this hosed over pretty much everyone (yes I will assume that certain groups, PoC prominently among them, were affected more than others.

black wealth, disproportionately tied to home equity, was basically wiped out by the obama administration

http://peoplespolicyproject.org/2017/12/07/destruction-of-black-wealth-during-the-obama-presidency/

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I would say the Obama administration enabled the destruction of black wealth, mostly via the housing crisis aftermath. The administration failed to prosecute criminal activity of both the financial crisis and the aftermath.

If you view it as a trolly problem, Obama chose bankers over homeowners that were victim of both crimes committed by the people he chose to save.

Either way it is a stain on his record.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I would say the Obama administration enabled the destruction of black wealth, mostly via the housing crisis aftermath. The administration failed to prosecute criminal activity of both the financial crisis and the aftermath.

If you view it as a trolly problem, Obama chose bankers over homeowners that were victim of both crimes committed by the people he chose to save.

Either way it is a stain on his record.

kinda a weird trolley problem when the villains tie themselves to the tracks

even weirder that obama chose to save the villains

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It wasn't a trolley problem because Obama could have made bailing out homeowners a condition of the bailout of the banks or just straight up nationalized the banks.

The bankers wouldn't have made quite as much money, but only a capitalist-worshipper with a massive brain spider infection would compare millionaires missing out on yet more multimillion dollar bonuses to tying innocent people to train tracks.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twodot posted:

How in the world did a discussion about whether Obama was bad for presiding over the destruction over substantial low and middle class wealth get turned into whether people should empathize with white rural voters voting for Republicans? Like if you want to hate on Republican voters, maybe that's not great, but I'm certainly not going to stop you, but don't judo a discussion on Obama's policies into hating on Republican voters, that's just weirdly obsessive.
edit:
Unless the subtext is "Obama is just a Republican", maybe I missed that.

It's just a rhetorical shift to deflect from Obama's terrible policies onto the sins of the (bad, racist) people who voted Republican.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Condiv posted:

kinda a weird trolley problem when the villains tie themselves to the tracks

even weirder that obama chose to save the villains

I would say that had he reacted to the financial crisis properly they would have been tied to the tracks, but alas.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

It's just a rhetorical shift to deflect from Obama's terrible policies onto the sins of the (bad, racist) people who voted Republican.

Why can't we blame both?

Edit: I also still think Obama is the best presidents in my life, despite his flaws that devastated the nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I have tattoos and have three gfs and make a lot of money, and I hate poor white people but not any other poor people because why can't they be like me, and get multiple bi gfs, cool ironic tattoos, a dog that can scream like a man

• Locked thread