Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Black_Nexus posted:

Goddamn I am not sure how to keep my seraphim standing up on 25 mm bases, I think I am gonna put them on 32's and hope that grognards don't get pissy

If they're not on slot bases, superglue a penny to the bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

Which pretty much maths out what I'd have guessed anyway. Bright Lance for Tanks/Monsters, Starcannon for Marines, Scatter Laser for hordes. Only mitigating factor is that the Shuriken Cannon being Assault lets you maneuver and shoot without penalty so is probably a better choice than the Scatter Laser on high speed platforms who need to be on the move.

Not quite.

A) Eldar are all BS3, but that doesn't change comparisons, so whatever.
B) Shuriken Cannons get -3 AP on Wound Rolls of 6+, which definitely changes the comparisons and makes Shurikens better than Scatter Lasers (even ignoring Assault vs. Heavy) and possibly even Starcannons against T4/3+/1W?

zeal posted:

what does the character targeting thing actually change

Characters can't screen other characters.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Black_Nexus posted:

Goddamn I am not sure how to keep my seraphim standing up on 25 mm bases, I think I am gonna put them on 32's and hope that grognards don't get pissy

The geminae are on 32mm and they're basically the same thing, seems like a dumb thing for anyone to get pissy about

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Giant Isopod posted:

The geminae are on 32mm and they're basically the same thing, seems like a dumb thing for anyone to get pissy about

Never underestimate the pissyness of nerds.

I've gotten legit screamed at because I prefer my heroes/characters for my Tau/Eldar/basically anything smaller than a Marine on 32's for aesthetic reasons.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They are in power armour. They'll be moved to 32mm bases when SoB come out I'd expect.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Looking for Daemonhost options. How out-of-scale* for 40k would these guys (just the mans) be?

I'm open to re-basing them because screw putting something that weak on a 40mm. The frames could look nice on the desk of a Land Raider or something?

*: ha.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheChirurgeon posted:

EDIT: Also, this includes a MAJOR change to Smite

God damnit GW

Once again this inherently punishes some factions more than others based on how many non-smite powers they have.

Really sucks to be the thousand sons right now.

I wouldn't be so against this rule, even applied to ALL psychic powers, if only they'd keep things balanced. But they're not, so this is unfair.

Pendent posted:

I am totally happy with this as a solution to smite spam. Pretty obnoxious that it didn't make it into CA though.

Smite spam is a design flaw. If they'd just introduce more powers it wouldn't even be a thing.

I really don't get what GW is going for here. Why give lots of units smite and then make it weaker?

It feels like they really want to force you to take like 1-2 psykers total in your army. But then other factions get a bunch of faction-specific spells and they're allowed to take more. Its weird.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Those are some sweet rules changes. Confident that they'll stick.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Armor save plays a roll in things too so here are the calculations versus various targets assuming BS4.

pre:
Number of Kills Against Various Targets

Weapon		T3/6+/1W	T4/5+/1W	T4/3+/1W	T4/2+/2W	T7/3+/11W	T8/2+/16W
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aeldari ML	1.11		1.11		0.74		0.56		0.19		0.07
Bright Lance	1.11		1.11		1.11		0.93		0.28		0.12
Starcannon	2.22		1.78		1.48		1.19		0.13		0.07
Scatter Laser	3.70		2.96		1.19		0.30		0.05		0.02
Shuriken Cannon	2.78		2.22		0.89		0.22		0.04		0.01

Thanks!

jng2058 posted:

Which pretty much maths out what I'd have guessed anyway. Bright Lance for Tanks/Monsters, Starcannon for Marines, Scatter Laser for hordes. Only mitigating factor is that the Shuriken Cannon being Assault lets you maneuver and shoot without penalty so is probably a better choice than the Scatter Laser on high speed platforms who need to be on the move.

Yeah, agreed. Assuming that I'm running the pair of Fire Prisms, the Wave Serpents will default to the 3 Shuriken Cannon set up, with Bright Lances on standby. Seems like the ALM is seriously overcosted despite the inherent versatility. I find the reliability of the Starcannon to be interesting as well.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

God damnit GW

Once again this inherently punishes some factions more than others based on how many non-smite powers they have.

I wouldn't be so against this rule, even applied to ALL psychic powers, if only they'd keep things balanced. But they're not, so this is unfair.

Smite spam is a design flaw. If they'd just introduce more powers it wouldn't even be a thing.

I really don't get what GW is going for here. Why give lots of units smite and then make it weaker?

It feels like they really want to force you to take like 1-2 psykers total in your army. But then other factions get a bunch of faction-specific spells and they're allowed to take more. Its weird.

Considering my first encounter with magnus involved them using chaos familar to give him warptime and him turn 1 charging my redemptor, and this is before the thousand sons book is even out, you'll have to forgive me for having literally zero sympathy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Schadenboner posted:

Looking for Daemonhost options. How out-of-scale* for 40k would these guys (just the mans) be?

I'm open to re-basing them because screw putting something that weak on a 40mm. The frames could look nice on the desk of a Land Raider or something?

*: ha.

Warmachine mans are about the same scale as 40k figures, and Daemonhosts are biggish anyway. Those will be good.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Artum posted:

Considering my first encounter with magnus involved them using chaos familar to give him warptime and him turn 1 charging my redemptor, and this is before the thousand sons book is even out, you'll have to forgive me for having literally zero sympathy.

My first game against Thousand sons, Magnus and Daemons involved me fighting like 15 things that could cast smite

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Black_Nexus posted:

My first game against Thousand sons, Magnus and Daemons involved me fighting like 15 things that could cast smite

Oh I thought that was a given against them, that also happened.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Artum posted:

I keep him on ignore but he's been bitching about 1k Sons not having more powers since before 8E even released.

And I'm sure we'll get a codex soon. The idea that they should not change something that is detrimental to the game as a whole, just because not all codexes are out yet, is ludicrous. I mean, they can only go so fast. And people bitch about too many releases too.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
My only thought these days when I consider a primarch charging into my lines as a Blood Angels player is :getin:
There's a couple guys with Magnus at my FLGS- I think I actively want to try a few games against him post codex drop because I have a captain model with Magnus' name on his thunderhammer.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Pendent posted:

My only thought these days when I consider a primarch charging into my lines as a Blood Angels player is :getin:
There's a couple guys with Magnus at my FLGS- I think I actively want to try a few games against him post codex drop because I have a captain model with Magnus' name on his thunderhammer.

Hell yeah

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

B) Shuriken Cannons get -3 AP on Wound Rolls of 6+, which definitely changes the comparisons and makes Shurikens better than Scatter Lasers (even ignoring Assault vs. Heavy) and possibly even Starcannons against T4/3+/1W?

I faced a cannon heavy Eldar list, those rolls of 6 are a dangerous bonus.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

Make sure to take pictures.

One of my regular opponents is getting mortarion for christmas, which I'm cool with since hes not the kind of rear end in a top hat to bring that to every game and it also means I get to bring guilliman along for a change.

E: oh my god, with a lieutenant that guys wounding magnus on 2+ rerollable:black101:

Artum fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 15, 2017

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Pendent posted:

Aside from it being generally a good thing to do, why would someone fighting a Blood Angels force not bubblewrap their priority targets for this exact reason?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Raphus C posted:

Yeah, for me it usually comes down to either Shuriken Cannons or Bright Lances.

Star Cannons are fine if you're facing TEQs but they're not super common in my meta, it's mostly T3/T4 infantry or T7/T8 tanks.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

PierreTheMime posted:

Aside from it being generally a good thing to do, why would someone fighting a Blood Angels force not bubblewrap their priority targets for this exact reason?

They would, but you can't bubblewrap against flyers.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

God damnit GW

:thunk:

Smite spam is a design flaw, but the moment GW tries to address it any way you fly off the handle? Armies like Thousand Sons will still have smite available all over the place. It might become harder to cast multiple times, but then it comes down to selecting the right units to cast it instead of just spamming it everywhere forever. This is a relatively elegant solution and it's still possible to pull off a ton of smiting if your dice cooperate.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

JoshTheStampede posted:

I misread the post. I thought they were talking about the deep strike assault silliness Blood Angels can pull now, whereas they were talking about using their Thunder Hammer defensively, which makes way more sense.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

JoshTheStampede posted:

You can to a degree, stuff with fly only ignores terrain and other models in their move/advance rather than charges.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

I misread the post. I thought they were talking about the deep strike assault silliness Blood Angels can pull now, whereas they were talking about using their Thunder Hammer defensively, which makes way more sense.

I just did the math and if I blow like 7 cp I can have a captain do like 54 average damage in a single turn to a t7 target, assuming the captain dies. There's a reason I ripped off my custom Captain's sword last night- Thunder hammers are IN.

Edit: The interpretation I've usually seen is that fly also works in the charge phase but I'm work posting and don't have a rulebook handy

Pendent fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 15, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm kinda sad that DA aren't looking to be as hilariously tough as BA. Still, green is cooler than red.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
The character change is very good for the game and only really hurts my matchup against storm ravens.

I’ll have to play it a bit but maybe I’ll put in like 120 scouts or something. :v:

E: it really hurts the truest degenerate 6 cluxus assassin list that screen Bobby and co.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Raphus C posted:

I mean they’re nasty even on the catapults - in all my recent games I’ve murdered at least one vehicle/monster unit by doom + jinxing it then unloading tonnes of shuriken shots at it. Re-rolling wounds goes really well with a bonus on 6es to wound!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zaphod42 posted:

God damnit GW

Lol gently caress off you myopic baby

Pendent posted:

I just did the math and if I blow like 7 cp I can have a captain do like 54 average damage in a single turn to a t7 target, assuming the captain dies. There's a reason I ripped off my custom Captain's sword last night- Thunder hammers are IN.

Edit: The interpretation I've usually seen is that fly also works in the charge phase but I'm work posting and don't have a rulebook handy

Agree, nothing in FLY restricts it to the Movement phase

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Agree, nothing in FLY restricts it to the Movement phase

Well I've been had.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I can see the argument either way. The sentence about FLY appears in the Movement phase section and is not copied again in the Charge section, but doesn't reference the phase itself.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Well I've been had.

Well, that or I've been cheating in every game I've played so far. Last game I had my guys finish their charge on the backside of a charge target at one point so I would have an easier consolidation into the stuff behind.

Fly remains one of the best keywords in the game.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'm kinda sad that DA aren't looking to be as hilariously tough as BA. Still, green is cooler than red.
I don't want to say that I'm disappointed in the codex because I think it's overall fairly strong. However, I do think there are some real missed opportunities beyond what I mentioned previously. It's really missing a dual Ravenwing/Deathwing stratagem of some kind and they really have no synergy at all. Bikes and terminators are still going to be complimentary, but there's no interaction between the two anymore.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

Well, that or I've been cheating in every game I've played so far. Last game I had my guys finish their charge on the backside of a charge target at one point so I would have an easier consolidation into the stuff behind.

Fly remains one of the best keywords in the game.

Agreed, now excuse me while I admire my land raider with fly.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Naramyth posted:

The character change is very good for the game and only really hurts my matchup against storm ravens.

I’ll have to play it a bit but maybe I’ll put in like 120 scouts or something. :v:

E: it really hurts the truest degenerate 6 cluxus assassin list that screen Bobby and co.

Yeah, it actually puts the Culexus as purely an anti-psyker as opposed to Custodial Guard replacement, and kind of highlights the Eversor as truly the best assassin now due to price and ability to kill MEQ equivalents.

I will probably have one of each in my GT list now. Maybe 2 Eversors, they are great for picking off things like Dark Reapers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hahahaha I made the mistake of putting my suggestion about Perils of the Warp on the Reddit thread and they loving loathe it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hahahaha I made the mistake of going to Reddit

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
The smite changes push aspiring sorcerers into being even more of an obvious trap than they are now. One day I hope my rubric squads can be freed from the chains of their 45 point sorcerous oppression.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

I can see the argument either way. The sentence about FLY appears in the Movement phase section and is not copied again in the Charge section, but doesn't reference the phase itself.

If you don't apply the Movement phase rules to the charge moves FLY becomes irrelevant anyway, because nothing in the Charge section stops you moving through other models.

Deofuta posted:

The smite changes push aspiring sorcerers into being even more of an obvious trap than they are now. One day I hope my rubric squads can be freed from the chains of their 45 point sorcerous oppression.

Based on the entire run of current codexes, TSons will get a bunch of cool interesting powers which make them useful.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 15, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah they'll definitely do something cool and good. For the most part GW has done a pretty good job with each codex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
As an AdMech player, I love the changes to Smite. As a 40k player in general, the changes seem fair and just. If you play a psyker heavy army, you can still do so and it will get justifiably harder as you try to cast - this is an excellent middle ground for psyker-based armies and everyone else.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I didn't know it was possible for someone to be so wrong. Red for life.