Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Gimmicky legacy characters is code for minorities.

Yes, everyone hates diversity. That must be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Robot Danger posted:

Yes, everyone hates diversity. That must be it.

American Dracula has repeatedly complained about legacy characters that are always conveniently non-white and/or non-straight.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
At this point they have enough variants of their major characters that they can create nesting cinematic universes within their cinematic universe.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Hey I got a question I'm not sure if there's a clear answer to, did Marvel buy back the rights to X-men in their Fox buy off? Could the Mutants be back in the movies and Marvel U in the coming years?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did, yes.

Mutants are in the comics currently and always have been though. They were for a while not getting merchandise or promotion, but that hasn’t been the case for a couple of years now.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

Gimmicky legacy characters is code for minorities.

No its code for lovely characters nobody really wants

Plenty of good minority characters exist at Marvel (Black Panther, Luke Cage, Storm, Bishop, Shang Chi, Spider-Man 2099, etc.)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Top Gun posted:

I want them and I get the strong impression that a lot of people right here in this very forum like a lot of them too, but hey, I'm no telepath like beloved Marvel character Mastermind Excello, Earl Everett, the real and permanent Mastermind Excello.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there at Holiday issue this year?

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Archyduke posted:

I want them and I get the strong impression that a lot of people right here in this very forum like a lot of them too, but hey, I'm no telepath like beloved Marvel character Mastermind Excello, Earl Everett, the real and permanent Mastermind Excello.

That's fine but you and a handful of people don't speak for the entire fan base and the fact is marvl sales are in the toilet and screaming matches erupt every time marvel shows up for a convention or a sales meeting with retailers so clearly there is a problem. Didn't they just fire Alonso and replace him with that Japanese dude because they recognized there is a problem that needs correcting?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He's not actually Japanese you loving walnut.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Archyduke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TtGQnyPZ6g

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Can American Dracula's new account be banned from BSS too?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Top Gun posted:

Didn't they just fire Alonso and replace him with that Japanese dude because they recognized there is a problem that needs correcting?

:dogbutton:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Top Gun posted:

Plenty of good minority characters exist at Marvel (Black Panther, Luke Cage, Storm, Bishop, Shang Chi, Spider-Man 2099, etc.)

All of those characters, except Storm, kinda suck though. I think you're confusing good with old. You know that guy who hates everything which wasn't around in his time? That's you!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel’s sales are not down.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Aphrodite posted:

They did, yes.

Mutants are in the comics currently and always have been though. They were for a while not getting merchandise or promotion, but that hasn’t been the case for a couple of years now.

One of the more convincing rumors I saw was that Marvel was trying to downplay mutants, but wanted to absolutely gut fantastic four. The reason being the fantastic four movies were extremely embarrassing to the entire industry.

Hopefully that's over now. Or they'll hire writers to end it now, so new books will be out in..... maybe half a year?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cant cook creole bream posted:

All of those characters, except Storm, kinda suck though. I think you're confusing good with old. You know that guy who hates everything which wasn't around in his time? That's you!

Okay I know Top Gun is a stupid racist re-reg of a stupid racist and we all want to dunk on him but those characters are good

except for Bishop

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Billzasilver posted:

One of the more convincing rumors I saw was that Marvel was trying to downplay mutants, but wanted to absolutely gut fantastic four. The reason being the fantastic four movies were extremely embarrassing to the entire industry.

Hopefully that's over now. Or they'll hire writers to end it now, so new books will be out in..... maybe half a year?

It probably really did not help that the Fantastic Four were, at one point, Marvel's flagship title and what they used to leverage themselves into their own company that wasn't borrowing DC's presses.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Top Gun posted:

That's fine but you and a handful of people don't speak for the entire fan base and the fact is marvl sales are in the toilet and screaming matches erupt every time marvel shows up for a convention or a sales meeting with retailers so clearly there is a problem. Didn't they just fire Alonso and replace him with that Japanese dude because they recognized there is a problem that needs correcting?

I'd eat a perma if it meant that you'd never post here again. Even if minority and legacy characters are why sales are low, Donald Trump is the president, so we read comics to escape the tyranny of the stupid masses.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Top Gun posted:

To quote Luke Skywalker from The Last Jedi, "Impressive. Everything in that sentence was wrong."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Covok posted:

To quote Luke Skywalker from The Last Jedi, "Impressive. Everything in that sentence was wrong."

I mean, I guess we don't speak for the entire fan base.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Top Gun posted:

All of the legacy characters are good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Archyduke posted:

To be fair, they did actually bring him back for the Twelve and he was actually quite good there. But I'd take Amadeus over him if you made me have to pick just one.

I think I'm the only person that liked the Twelve and wish they did something with the characters they reintroduced.

Then again I wished they'd do something with the Avengers Academy kids after their book was cancelled and we all know what happened there.

Edit:

JordanKai posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to think of one that I've read that wasn't at least good in concept. I'd sort of lean towards Silk, but she got a great series after she was taken away from Slott.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 17, 2017

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Honestly I don't care for Moon Girl that much but that's more because everything she builds looks like it came off an episode of Codename: Kids Next Door than anything else. It makes it feel like her being the smartest person in the Marvel Universe is less 'actual plot point we are interested in exploring' and more the punchline of a joke. "Hey, she's canonically smarter than Reed Richards and all her stuff looks super shoddy and is made with kids' toys because that's what she has to make do with! Isn't that just WACKY?" But even then that's more of a personal taste thing, and there's plenty of room for more lighthearted comics in the line.

Silk was great once she got her own series and a real costume. I've liked Riri so far. I'm mostly iffy on the new Patriot because of the writers involved and not the concept (His appearance in Falcon practically screams 'this is what the hip young people lingo is, yeah?'). Laura is the best Wolverine and should just be Wolverine and Logan should just be Logan and nothing else, because it fits both of them far more- Laura wants to be a person and a superhero, and not just a weapon, while Logan thinks the spandex is just kinda stupid in most cases it's come up. Pointing out that Ms. Marvel is a great comic is like saying water's wet at this point, but she's also just flat out a better character than the last person to have that name which is a shame because that person still shows up way more, and Ms. Marvel is inconsistently written outside her own book. I like Viv Vision which is a shame because of recent comics. Oh, and the new Wasp is also a character far better than the legacies she's inheriting.

I kinda just meant to talk about Moon Girl and mention a few others offhandedly but got carried away.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

Okay I know Top Gun is a stupid racist re-reg of a stupid racist and we all want to dunk on him but those characters are good

except for Bishop

I hate to break it to you but I'm not a re-reg. I just joined this site for the first time though I did lurk prior to that. I'm not a racist either and I'm kind of upset that I'm being accused of that with no basis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It's hard to judge moon girl because it's explicitly meant for elementary school kids.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Jane is the best Thor, Laura is the best Wolverine, Kate is the best Hawkeye and Jennifer is the best Hulk.
Those are just facts.

I guess I will specify why I like them so much:

Jane keeps on struggling and killing herself, because she has a really strong sense of obligation. Every time she uses the hammer her death comes closer. But she know that she has to protect the realms. Unlike Odinson, she doesn't do it for some bloated sense of pride.

Laura had one of the worst pasts of the entire marvel universe. She was a child assassin who was chemically numbed and treated as an object and the only people who she meant anything to were murdered. Later on, she was pretty much a teenage sex worker, because she was subdued with drugs. It took her years to finally open and actually talk to people. But in spite of everything in her past, she does her best to help, make amends and keep up her positivity. Logan's past just mate him kinda bitter and grimm.

Kate is just a skilled girl with no special powers who forced herself into a group of teenage heroes, because she knew she'd be good at it. Later on she struggled quite a bit, but she keeps up her spirit. While I like Clint too, sometimes he's a drunken mess, drowning in self pity.

Jennifer is a smart woman who realizes, that her actual job as a lawyer is sometimes just as important, as throwing buses at dragons. Recently, she has lost her temper a bit, but it mostly comes from a feeling of confusion and the feeling insecurity who she actually is and who she wants to be. This seems way more genuine and relate-able then Bruce's eternal unprovoked anger.

I think that many of those old characters were just really basic. Especially Bruce Banner. They had a vague character, but no real motive or agenda. Some people like such simple things, I guess.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 17, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Top Gun posted:

I hate to break it to you but I'm not a re-reg. I just joined this site for the first time though I did lurk prior to that. I'm not a racist either and I'm kind of upset that I'm being accused of that with no basis.

I dunno who you are or aren't but getting an avatar to be rid of that default wouldn't hurt!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I bought his first appearance the day it came out and I’ve never given up faith that Bishop will come good one day.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Top Gun posted:

sure thing guy who regged the day after american dracula's last alt was banned and happens to post exactly like american dracula with the exact same grievances

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How is Ironheart? I remember the pitch was "Fifty year old white dude is writing a black teen girl named Riri Williams who lives in the ghetto and her brother was killed in a driveby but she worked her way out of poverty by studying hard and the magic of charter schools" and I was like, that sound horrible.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Top Gun posted:

The basis is your posts.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
To be fair to Top Gun, I'm sure that American Dracula is not the only kinda racist extremely self-confident but fragile nostalgia vampire white guy who convinces himself he's not racist or sexist just because he hates that they added all these token minority characters in Star Wars because HEY, I LOVE LANDO in between parroting bullshit white supremacist talking points. We don't accuse Mike Cernovich of being a Bill O'Reilly re-reg, do we?

That said, welcome back American Dracula. I look forward to your inevitable re-banning.

Billzasilver posted:

I find that incredibly hard to believe. The ones in the mid 2000s weren't well received critically or commercially, but performed better than Daredevil, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Elektra, etc. and it's not like they went "oh no, Nicolas Cage was a lovely Ghost Rider! Better pretend that property doesn't exist!"

The only reason they were trying to downplay mutants (or the Fantastic Four) is because they didn't own the movie rights. I don't think Perlmutter cares if the movies were masterpieces or like literally just Josh Trank smashing together action figures inside his cocaine tent, they didn't want to accidentally give Fox more stories to mine. This was going on before the 2015 Fantastic Four movie bombed, and also in terms of "absolutely gutting Fantastic Four", the book is one title that outside of a few brief relaunch/'milestone' moments, has not been a consistent best-seller in like 25-30 years. Meanwhile the X-Men are a franchise that has consistently had up to a dozen books coming out, many of which were in the top ten, for the *past* 25 years or so. People went nuts when the X-Men were completely downplayed after Secret Wars, with mutants only appearing in

All-New X-Men
Extraordinary X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
All-New Wolverine
Old Man Logan
Deadpool

and also having X-Men appear as supporting characters in the Inhumans and Avengers titles. Meanwhile, the Fantastic Four had one title, which went away. It's all dumb and cutting off noses to spite faces, but it's not about embarrassment, it's about movie rights.

Guy Goodbody posted:

How is Ironheart? I remember the pitch was "Fifty year old white dude is writing a black teen girl named Riri Williams who lives in the ghetto and her brother was killed in a driveby but she worked her way out of poverty by studying hard and the magic of charter schools" and I was like, that sound horrible.
I mean it's more "Fifty year old white guy who is the adoptive father of two black teen girls is writing a black teen girl named Riri Williams who lives in the suburbs and her father was killed by gunfire and she is a comic book genius who got a college scholarship when she was a tween but yeah probably it's got charter schools and blackface in it, whatever, gently caress everything why bother even reading poo poo it's poo poo i'm not going to read this bullshit but she's probably got a watermelon themed armor that plays bodak yellow as she strangles people with her iron extensions because goddam"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean it's more "Fifty year old white guy who is the adoptive father of two black teen girls is writing a black teen girl named Riri Williams who lives in the suburbs and her father was killed by gunfire and she is a comic book genius who got a college scholarship when she was a tween but yeah probably it's got charter schools and blackface in it, whatever, gently caress everything why bother even reading poo poo it's poo poo i'm not going to read this bullshit but she's probably got a watermelon themed armor that plays bodak yellow as she strangles people with her iron extensions because goddam"

So it's good then?

Edge & Christian posted:

"oh no, Nicolas Cage was a lovely Ghost Rider! Better pretend that property doesn't exist!"

Nicolas Cage was a fantastic Ghost Rider.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Riri is really good and has what feels like a classic superhero backstory played competently and straight. I like the Ironheart issues of Invincible Iron Man a lot.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Most importantly I think, she's written like a comic book genius, but not in that snarky, "I'm super smart and sarcastic and quippy," way where being a genius is just a trait they have like someone on CSI being a hacker. She actually comes off as a little out of step with the people around her and troubled by the way her intelligence makes her stand out. She's a good character.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Android Blues posted:

Most importantly I think, she's written like a comic book genius, but not in that snarky, "I'm super smart and sarcastic and quippy," way where being a genius is just a trait they have like someone on CSI being a hacker. She actually comes off as a little out of step with the people around her and troubled by the way her intelligence makes her stand out. She's a good character.

I am kinda really sick of kid geniuses. But I'm also super fuckin' contrarian. If not for so many people making GBS threads their pants over it, I might have passed on Ironheart. But I wanted to like her story because so many people were being absolute pricks about it. And I did. I do. It's great. I can forgive the (what I view as a) crutch of the character being a teen supergenius because the alternative would have played like "black girl inferior to white man" which is much shittier. Had the character been born from a different kernel of an idea and was a white guy, I'd be way less forgiving. Spare me from all these young supergeniuses, Marvel.

When it comes to the "Legacy Characters" I think the only one I can really do without is Cho as the Hulk because in my opinion he's just not as demonstrably different from Bruce as he should be. They didn't need to replace Bruce after killing him. They already have Jen, whose book is twice as good as Cho's. Oh, and the Kid X-Men. I'm kinda tired of them now. They were a neat idea for a while, but that story's been told, and there's a fucktillion young mutant characters that could be in the spotlight instead now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JordanKai posted:

There has to be one who's bad.

Maybe the new Falcon?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

KaosMachina posted:

Honestly I don't care for Moon Girl that much but that's more because everything she builds looks like it came off an episode of Codename: Kids Next Door than anything else.

It is a comic aimed at pre-teens, especially girls. Not being over the moon :rimshot: with it as 20-30something (assuming the forum average) isn't something you need to justify, you are decades further along in your life than the imagined reader. It's perfectly fine to move on from kid's books, even in a genre, where most books are aimed at teenagers to manchildren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

There has to be one who's bad.

Maybe the new Falcon?

If there's something he was good in, I haven't read it. As a life long Marvel fan, I'm very happy with this current generation of characters. People want to be scared of what's new and different, but the kids are all right, and the future looks bright.

• Locked thread