Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's been a while since I played 13-2 so I won't be able to delve into details but this is what I remember liking about it:

-Time travel stories are great
-The FF13 battle system was actually really cool because it abstracted the mostly-boring tactical decisions in favor of broader strategic decisions. 13-2 refined on it by giving you more freedom with your paradigms because you aren't limited in who gets to be what
-I recall the gameplay flow being just enough open-ended stuff to make it feel like I was exploring while being linear enough I never felt lost
-Somehow the collectathon really grabbed me and I 100%ed the game. I don't know exactly what about it grabbed me and I remember being sorta confused at the time why I liked it so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

cheetah7071 posted:

It's been a while since I played 13-2 so I won't be able to delve into details but this is what I remember liking about it:

-Time travel stories are great
-The FF13 battle system was actually really cool because it abstracted the mostly-boring tactical decisions in favor of broader strategic decisions. 13-2 refined on it by giving you more freedom with your paradigms because you aren't limited in who gets to be what

It then ruined all those improvements by making every single encounter so easy that you never actually had to think about your paradigm sets.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
People bring up the 13-2 ending, but I always thought it was hilarious. Also cool cause Caius wins, cause Caius is cool.

cheetah7071 posted:

-Somehow the collectathon really grabbed me and I 100%ed the game. I don't know exactly what about it grabbed me and I remember being sorta confused at the time why I liked it so much

Whatever it was, that must be it. Getting 100% in 13-2 sucks, and is what originally turned me off of the game when I first went through it. There are some cool Paradox endings though which helps.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Ventana posted:

It's got some genuine cool things like Crazy Chocobo and Chronobind, but then there's genuine awful things like Academia 300 and the slots fragment.

Isn't Academia 300 where Serah yells at Hope so hard that he hears it in the past and decides not to build the big robot so it just disappears from the timeline. That part owned

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Red Red Blue posted:

Isn't Academia 300 where Serah yells at Hope so hard that he hears it in the past and decides not to build the big robot so it just disappears from the timeline. That part owned

No that's Augusta Tower, and indeed that part is great.

Academia is the part before that, the part with endless spawning mobs of enemies that pose no challenge and continuously aggro all the time, and is entirely miserable to go through.

I got the dates wrong though. It's Academia 400 and Augusta Tower 300.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ventana posted:

Academia is the part before that, the part with endless spawning mobs of enemies that pose no challenge and continuously aggro all the time, and :siren: blaring alarms while they aggro :siren: and is entirely miserable to go through.
I added the part you left out. gently caress Academia 400AF.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is Academia 400 the place that has flanitor because that's the best enemy in any final fantasy ever

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i recruited this guy in US:

note that sword arts skill was originally also FASHION and i replaced it.

armand you are the worst

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Guy likes to be fashionable

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Is Exist Archive worth six bucks (plus tax)?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

Is Exist Archive worth six bucks (plus tax)?

gently caress no

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Well I'm glad I checked in before pulling the trigger. Thank you, RPG thread goons!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

cheetah7071 posted:

Is Academia 400 the place that has flanitor because that's the best enemy in any final fantasy ever

Again, no that's not Academia, that's Augusta Tower. Academia just has tons of Cie'th. Flanitors are indeed great though

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

How significantly different is the 3DS version of 3 compared to the original? I've only played 3 DS but I always sort of figured that the frustrating components of the game sort of mimicked the original release.

Also I think your enjoyment of FF8 mostly comes down to how much you enjoy it as a game that you play, as opposed to all the story and character components

FF3 DS is actively worse than FF3 NES in almost every way.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

cheetah7071 posted:

Terrible games
FF3 (Android)

Is that the prevailing opinion? It's one of the few mainline FFs I've played(DS version). It was nothing special, and very old fashioned, but you put it a couple rungs below FF1 and 2.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rinkles posted:

Is that the prevailing opinion? It's one of the few mainline FFs I've played(DS version). It was nothing special, and very old fashioned, but you put it a couple rungs below FF1 and 2.

People ITT have a really weird hate on for it.

I played through it a few times when I was younger and had fun with it. People get really worked up about how some stuff was all RNG and blah blah blah, but that really wasn't my experience at all.

The final dungeon having 0 save points was probably the absolute worst thing in the game. Absolutely bafflingly bad design decision there.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I am at the part in Mystic Arc where I just got all the other characters and I really wish there wasn't a gap between the EXP earned by the member in your party and the members in your inventory. It's paralyzing me with indecision. Several of the folks seem like they could be powerful, but I feel like I want to raise them all up, only that would take an insane amount of grinding because this game is grindy as hell.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I couldn't get past the absolutely miserable fact that it has a spells per day system and there's like 3 dungeons in a row in the early game that you're forced to be miniature for, which means you only deal real damage with spells

e: and it's horribly grindy to catch somebody up in a new class so even once you've committed to temporarily making everybody mages the next step is spend a while grinding in the overworld

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
FF3 has the best soundtrack on the NES imo. They made that soundchip sing.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Getsuya posted:

I am at the part in Mystic Arc where I just got all the other characters and I really wish there wasn't a gap between the EXP earned by the member in your party and the members in your inventory. It's paralyzing me with indecision. Several of the folks seem like they could be powerful, but I feel like I want to raise them all up, only that would take an insane amount of grinding because this game is grindy as hell.

Just swap them out occasionally so that you use each roughly evenly and you'll be fine. They'll lag behind your MC but will still all be pretty good. I just loaded up my old save to check (I cannot believe my cart still has a battery charge after 20+ years) and endgame my MC was level 36 and all of the inventory characters were 31. I'd say so long as you don't bench one to the point that they're 10+ levels behind it's probably not a big deal.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I remember not liking exp share because I was a stupid gently caress, I mean I still am but I'm a lot less inclined to grind these days. Just have new characters show up the same level as your mc instead of making mandatory grind sessions every time you meet someone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Flavius Belisarius posted:

FF3 has the best soundtrack on the NES imo. They made that soundchip sing.

FE Gaiden was better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikH3Gn4PdrI

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Genpei Turtle posted:

Just swap them out occasionally so that you use each roughly evenly and you'll be fine. They'll lag behind your MC but will still all be pretty good. I just loaded up my old save to check (I cannot believe my cart still has a battery charge after 20+ years) and endgame my MC was level 36 and all of the inventory characters were 31. I'd say so long as you don't bench one to the point that they're 10+ levels behind it's probably not a big deal.

Okay. That sounds good.

I love that you can equip folks who are in your inventory and use items on them and stuff.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Alm looks like he's about to turn into the Hulk.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zore posted:

The final dungeon having 0 save points was probably the absolute worst thing in the game. Absolutely bafflingly bad design decision there.

Agreed, though I'll say as a result it was one of the tensest boss battles I've experienced. Like I said about save files, holding your time investment hostage is a uniquely effective way games can make you anxious.

(I'd probably remember it less fondly if I'd died).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8SpqPpjh1o

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I will say FF3DS was lovely to look at. Bravely Default built on the template it established.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Unlimited Saga has such good music that is a real shame that it is locked away behind an impenetrably complicated mess of a game. If you're a fan of the music you should look up Sigma Harmonics since it was also done by Masashi Hamauzu and is really great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loW11_8mzuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p-jYwpwdPE

And for Getsuya, the composer for Mystic Ark did an arranged version of a lot of the soundtrack for the game before he passed away: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STadbnqU7JQ

Dragonturtle fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 19, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

13-2 ruled and I'm actually a little surprised goons are down on it

Same, it being piss-easy to break is just a bonus to me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On Spoony's old work I did enjoy the cosplay gags, especially for 10-2. Spoony always ended an FF review by dressing up as one of the main characters of the game, and assaulting himself as that character. Highlights included Evil Jock Bully Snow, but for 10-2 he noticed his pattern and was just like "Oh no. OH NO. What have I started?" as Noah-as-Yuna bursts though the door in a skimpy bikini and just starts shooting. It's the one thing he can't effectively fight against, because you can flee swords and fists, but you cannot easily flee a gun. The fear was (at least to me, at the time) pretty funny.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

13-2 made some great improvements on 13 (most importantly by not taking 15 hours to give you a 3 man party) but then immediately kneecaps itself with godawful encounter design that doesn't play into the strengths of the battle system at all.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol apparently the new metal max game, metal max xeno, is based on a cancelled one from 2000 called metal max: wild eyes. i love this bizarre janky open world jrpg series

i'm glad it's also deliberately moving away from metal max 4 cause it sold the worst in the series

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 19, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rinkles posted:

I will say FF3DS was lovely to look at. Bravely Default built on the template it established.

ff3-ds was lovely to look at in 2006. but by 2008 it was super ugly even by DS standards. it was so frequently returned that by 2007, i got it for $5 used

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Also just because people touched on it earlier but didn't quite break it down: FF3 DS (and all the ports of it - so, every version of FF3 that isn't the Famicom original) runs on the absolute shittiest, player-loving math it can, which takes the game from "experimental and an uphill fight" to "grind or die".

The easiest example is this: bosses now automatically get two actions (minimum) per round. The first time this really becomes game-changing is a few bosses in, when you have someone who can all-target cast a potent fire spell. On the Famicom, you just had to be able to survive one round of it, but now you need to potentially have to go through two of them and stay standing to keep in the fight. As a result, the needed level to pass this is higher if you don't want to play RNG Chicken. This could be arguable as rebalancing, except all boss HP is inflated in the DS port - at first it's similar and the DS game has a few early bosses with less HP than on console, but by endgame we're talking 2x-5x the HP alone of the original game, and the extra moves per round. But hey, you've played FFV, you know how job systems work, clearly that's the trick is using those efficiently, right?

Well, here's where it absolutely breaks.

The original game had a very minor penalty for changing jobs: you had to pay a cost in Capacity Points (earned from battles) to do it, and the cost was larger based on if the job was, say, physical to magical or low level to high level, but given that in this game you literally need to change jobs at certain points to progress onwards the points flow freely and it's not going to cripple you unless you're absolutely skipping fights.

The new system cripples you every time you swap jobs by lowering your stats, and it can stack. See, every job is now on a two-axis grid (one of which is obvious, phys/magic, and one of which is mentioned nowhere in-game that I recall and adds extra spice, Law/Chaos). The further your new job is from the old one determines how many fights you have to go through before your stats return to normal, up to 10. But let's say you discover you chose poorly at adapting to the new area and need to try again - these penalties stack up and keep resetting to 10. Or if you have to perform one of the aforementioned required job swaps - still counts even if you turn into a Thief to open a lock then go back to what you were. So now you're either a) going through these dungeons weaker than normal or b) grinding out a bunch of trash battles to return to normal so you're not cannon fodder for encounters every time you change party composition.

FF3DS is a goddamn blight on what would otherwise be a divisive title, but most people just think the game was originally such a piece of poo poo rather than being made one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

END ME SCOOB posted:

The further your new job is from the old one determines how many fights you have to go through before your stats return to normal, up to 10. But let's say you discover you chose poorly at adapting to the new area and need to try again - these penalties stack up and keep resetting to 10.

and don't forget that the game will use your lowered CON score if you gain a level with the class change penalty. gee i love having the one persistent stat between classes get less credit because of a bad system

speaking of bad systems, hein is the best boss because he uses barrier shift as an automatic action at the very end of every round, and you're supposed to use scholars to Peep him to keep track of his new weakness, but at the end of the turn you get the information on, he'll have cast it again :downs:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

ff3-ds was lovely to look at in 2006. but by 2008 it was super ugly even by DS standards. it was so frequently returned that by 2007, i got it for $5 used

It's a good example of working within your limits, and the resulting aesthetic has its own charm. Same way Vagrant Story is still beautiful in some ways in my eyes.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 19, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't remember any of this, or remember how aware of it I ever was, but I 100% agree systems that punish experimentation are a blight upon RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The new Valkyria Chronicles game has a medic dog named Ragnarok.