Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Cam is not better than Stafford

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Yeah, sure, any league average QB can do this, whatever you say

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/942159231788097536

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah that's just standard for the Case Keenums of the world.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Jay Cutler absolutely can. so can flacco

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

throw a 50/50 ball with his feet set, and allow a tall WR to jump over shorter safety?

I don't think Stafford is a league average QB, He's pretty clearly an above average one. But that throw isn't some overwhelmingly impressive feat of QBing. It's a ball you throw when you are fairly confident that your receiver is better than the safety and will make a play.

An Impressive throw is like the loving 50 yard back shoulder throws on a loving rope that Aaron Rodgers will pull out of his rear end far too often(and often those come while he is moving to the side or falling down or some bullshit). That's just throwing a ball high and telling your receiver to go embarrass a safety.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
stafford is a tough player... he's got heart and he's got grit. can't knock the hustle

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I would probably take current Stafford over current Cam (althought it's close) but I also remember Stafford pre-Caldwell ,where the red mist would descend and he would just huck the ball downfield to see what happened. He's a matured a lot while Cam was good straight off the bat.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

GeneX posted:

I want Rodgers to develop a severe medical condition that has no impact on his quality of life or longevity beyond making him unable to play QB in the NFL

It is a sign that we live in a good and just universe that the Bears are now and will forever be a dumpster fire

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

I want it to be one or both of the Ryans because I feel like I'm ready to take the next step and turn my drinking problem into a full-fledged disorder

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Any team that signs Zims son is probably making a bad choice tbh.

Zim runs the defense and calls the plays. The DC just helps with the game plan.

Also hiring Adam Zimmer in GB would be terrible because they don't have the personal for Zims 4-3 defense.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Falcons won. The Packers are out of the playoffs. Welcome to the offseason.

Sit Rodgers. Sit Adams. Probably sit Nelson too.

Start Hundley. Let him earn his next contract, whatever it ends up being. It won't be with the Packers. Have him throw to Cobb and our other young receivers, see what develops.

Run the ball more often. Give the ball to Aaron Jones more, get him some reps and let him continue on developing his vision and decision making. Williams is a bruiser and doesn't seem like he'll ever progress beyond that, but Jones has a rare talent.

On defense, now that there's nothing to play for, it's time to start experimenting. Throw the entire playbook out. See what happens when you put players on exclusively man coverage. What happens when you sell out the blitz? Shift around call responsibilities from Burnett to Clinton-Dix to Martinez. Etc.

Fire Capers. Put up Trgovac or Whitt for the last two games and see what they can do with this defense. Use that for evaluation in the offseason coaching search.

The offseason will be tricky. Morgan Burnett and Davante Adams are both up for new contracts. I think the Packers will, unfortunately, let one of these two walk. Before Sunday I would say resign Adams at whatever cost, but the third concussion is really worrying -- remember Sam Shields? Burnett is key to the defense, but Brice and Josh Jones look promising enough to step up in his absence. Of course, we said that about Hayward and Randall/Rollins a couple years ago. Corey Linsley is also up for a contract and I think he gets resigned. Brooks, Evans, and House are all veterans up from their one-year contracts. I'm not sure any of these players get resigned unless they agree to another cheap one-year. I have very little faith in House despite his youth. Richard Rodgers should be brought back, he's quality depth and has a good connection with 12.

The Packers "unfortunately" won too many games to be in position to draft an immediate star. It looks like they'll be picking anywhere between 12 and 18. We're actually fairly well set at almost every position, assuming players come back from injury, so this season we have the opportunity to luxury draft whatever is the most impactful player on the board. King and Randall look like long-term starters at corner. Perry is holding down one half of the edge rushing field. I think we draft (yet another) pass rusher to step up in Matthews' place. The team needs a replacement for Bulaga at RT and it doesn't look like Spriggs is the answer. Depending on what happens with Adams, there could be another WR pickup in the second round.

Good luck to the Vikings and Lions in the playoffs.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The Lions aren’t gonna make the playoffs even though they probably deserve to and would in most other years

Soothing Vapors posted:

It is a sign that we live in a good and just universe that the Bears are now and will forever be a dumpster fire

Bad take but much better response, 8/10

Also Stafford is probably somewhere around the number 9-10 QB in the league, he’s good at his job even if a lot of his volume stats are because the lions run game is and has been garbage

(Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Ryan, Rodgers are all definitely better than him but there’s a clump of guys past that who all have claims to being next, and Stafford is just one of them)

Jen X fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 19, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

mastershakeman posted:

i said career, sheesh. one good/great season doesnt make or break a qb

Joe Flacco disagrees.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
i fully support the Lions cutting Matt Stafford and signing Case Keenum in the offseason to a cheaper contract.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Am I correct I'm thinking that the Falcons have to lose out and the Lions win out for the Lions to make the playoffs now?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

MikeCrotch posted:

Am I correct I'm thinking that the Falcons have to lose out and the Lions win out for the Lions to make the playoffs now?

That and some other stuff too. I think they need dallas or seattle to get to 10-6 as well.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

OxySnake posted:

Any team that signs Zims son is probably making a bad choice tbh.

Zim runs the defense and calls the plays. The DC just helps with the game plan.

Also hiring Adam Zimmer in GB would be terrible because they don't have the personal for Zims 4-3 defense.

Adam Zimmer is the linebackers coach so he wouldn't be running the defense or calling plays right now even if his head coach didn't. Who knows if he'd be a good dc or not though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MikeCrotch posted:

Scipiotik posted:

That and some other stuff too. I think they need dallas or seattle to get to 10-6 as well.

So basically the Lions have two routes to the playoffs at this point:

OPTION ONE: Lions win out, Falcons lose out

This one is the easiest and most likely. Lions end up with a 10-6 record, Falcons go 9-7, and the Lions have conference record tiebreakers over Dallas and Seattle even if they do catch up. (Note, however, that Atlanta has the conference tiebreaker over Detroit in addition to the H2H, so matching their record and hoping for a three way tie isn't an option). Atlanta plays both the Saints and Panthers, so two losses for them is far from out of the question.

OPTION TWO: Lions win out, Saints/Panthers lose out, Cowboys/Seahawks win out

This is a bit harder. Since the Lions lost to both the Saints and the Panthers and they both have 10 wins, it's impossible to catch up with them even if one of those teams lose out. However, if the Seahawks or the Cowboys also finish 10-6 to make it a 3-way tie, then the Lions win on the conference record tiebreaker. This one is a lot less likely since even if the Cowboys or Seahawks win out, the Saints and Panthers both have games against Tampa Bay, which is 4-10 and has nothing to play for outside of spite*

*Which is still a powerful motivator, mind you

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Falcons barely beat a dire Buccaneers team last night and like every time I looked at that game, the Buccaneers were A) Making some crazy play for 30+ yards that then got called back, B) Turning over the the ball or C) Having a dude taken off the field for injury, so I'm actually feeling sorta confident that the Saints and Panthers, two very good teams, can beat them and the Lions can squeak in if they handle their own poo poo.

And for the love of God, it's the Bengals and a Rodgers-less Packers, who, need I remind everybody, have a bad defensive coordinator. If they can't handle that, fire Caldwell out of a cannon.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I wouldn't be shocked if Rodgers plays these last two weeks. It wouldn't be a very smart move but I could totally see him pushing to play given the chance to spite two division rivals, which as noted above, is a powerful motivator.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Also, to the person who asked before what pieces the Lions needed to be truly competetive:

https://twitter.com/Justin_Rogers/status/943172390619680769

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Soothing Vapors posted:

I want it to be one or both of the Ryans because I feel like I'm ready to take the next step and turn my drinking problem into a full-fledged disorder

You alright mang? Problems at home?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i just remembered that the bears traded up from 3 to 2 to draft mitch holy god damnit loving poo poo

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's a good thing the Lions historically have no problem against a Rodgers-less Packers team in week 17

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Good Will Hrunting posted:

SA has, as long as I've posted, had some sort of strange vitriol towards the Packers. I haven't met many people, even most NFC North fans, who were anything but cool about the rivalries between us and fans of teams outside the NFC North generally don't give a poo poo about the Packers one way or another. If anything, they'll rally behind the solidarity of the Packers knocking out Dallas or Seattle or whatever.

The hatred makes no sense to me because (maybe not now, but at least for a while) people disliked the Packers more than Seattle, which is just a strange mindset to adopt.

Vikings, Cowboys, Lions and Bears fans here for my football friends. We despise the Packers and the Patriots in that order. gently caress Rogers.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
TJ Jones out for the rest of the year. That sucks a lot. :/

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's a good thing the Lions historically have no problem against a Rodgers-less Packers team in week 17

You wanna talk about a bad loving defense. Jesus loving christ.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

mastershakeman posted:

i just remembered that the bears traded up from 3 to 2 to draft mitch holy god damnit loving poo poo

It was a dumb move then, its a dumb move now, and to hell with the all the idiots who roll out lukewarm defenses of it.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Rodgers on IR. Good.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/mastertes/status/943226391931301894

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
According to Mike, he got hit a bunch and was really sore.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also, to the person who asked before what pieces the Lions needed to be truly competetive:

https://twitter.com/Justin_Rogers/status/943172390619680769

I was going to say cut them some slack because both ends were being double teamed

then I saw the tackles almost pancake each other on a twist, fuckin hell

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Ziggy Ansah was good for one year though?!!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
He was good for a couple years, then he fell off a cliff in 2015 and hasn't been the same since

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He was good for a couple years, then he fell off a cliff in 2015 and hasn't been the same since

... Avril?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

lol

Blotto Skorzany posted:

You alright mang? Problems at home?
all life is suffering, forums poster Blotto Skorzany

GeneX posted:

Bad take but much better response, 8/10
this is why I won the Pro Posting Championships

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 19, 2017

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I just wanted to mention that the Packers have spent seven of their last nine first-round picks on defenders, and the defense is still poo poo.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Too late we already discussed this.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I mean uhhhh sorry I uhhhhh can’t complain cause we have Aaron??????

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Thumb Up Emoji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I mean uhhhh sorry I uhhhhh can’t complain cause we have Aaron??????

Butt. Hurt.

• Locked thread