Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

Speaking of big events I am kind of at an impasse on what to take to the championship.

Are you set on Marines or not even decided that far? The only thing I know you play is the Ultras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
If you're not a huge Guilliman fan, Salamanders MSU is also a good alternative for shooty SM.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

If you're not a huge Guilliman fan, Salamanders MSU is also a good alternative for shooty SM.

I feel the salamander chapter tactic needs more recognition, it turns dreadnoughts into absolute murder machines.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I'm leaning towards setting up a unit of 10 heavy Hellbois, so they can use Grim Resolve to explode less while constantly overcharging, just kind of a shittier devastator squad. Leaning towards one huge squad to get the most out of the 1CP "+1 damage" strategem, and maybe park a Lt next to them for the re-rolls on wounds. This may not be a great use of 400 points, but it's loving cool and strikes me as Dark Angel-y as all hell.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

FiestaNinja posted:

I'm finally 'done' with my Knight, I had a lot of fun doing this thing and learned a lot about painting things larger than a dreadnought. Once I have some time to practice writing 'Indicter' over and over with a micron pen I'll finish off the little name scroll.

This is from quite a few pages ago, but had to bump it and say how excellent it is. Definitely up there in the pantheon of coolest Knights I've seen - just enough characterful flairs to make it ornate and unique without being overbearing.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I just went up against BuffaloChicken in a 1k-point game where I struggled to take out his Manticore and Leman Russ but that was because my heavy weapons were a Defiler and two autocannons, not because he was cheesing poo poo out.
Awww, gonna mention our game without sharing your beautiful board?

Eternal RIPs to suicide-charge "Iron Gut" Jameson for dying in the great Deflier explosion of '17.

Also, most decidedly NOT trying to stoke the flames of female Marine discussion again, but here's the first of several lady Catachan from the Escher kit.

Escher torsos on slimmed-down Catachan legs look great. Just need to cut off some torso detail and liquid greenstuff over the bare midriffs to get some even tank tops and they'll fit right it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

BuffaloChicken posted:

Escher torsos on slimmed-down Catachan legs look great. Just need to cut off some torso detail and liquid greenstuff over the bare midriffs to get some even tank tops and they'll fit right it.

That looks rad as hell

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booyah- posted:

How are the hellblaster assault and heavy variants? I'm deciding how I'd configure a group of them, probably 5 and 5 but not sure which two of the three weapon options.

I did some maths:

pre:
Number of Kills Against Various Targets for Plasma Incinerator Variants

Weapon			T3/6+/1W	T4/5+/1W	T4/3+/1W	T4/2+/2W	T7/3+/11W	T8/2+/16W
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rapid Fire		0.56		0.44		0.44		0.19		0.03		0.01
Rapid Fire (<12")	1.11		0.89		0.89		0.37		0.06		0.02
Hot Rapid Fire		0.56		0.56		0.56		0.46		0.08		0.03
Hot Rapid Fire (<12")	1.11		1.11		1.11		0.93		0.16		0.07
Assault			1.11		0.89		0.89		0.37		0.04		0.02
Hot Assault		1.11		0.89		0.89		0.74		0.12		0.05
Heavy			0.56		0.56		0.56		0.23		0.04		0.02
Hot Heavy		0.56		0.56		0.56		0.46		0.08		0.05
Macro			1.94		1.94		1.94		0.81		0.14		0.06
Macro (Hot)		1.94		1.94		1.94		1.62		0.28		0.16
What do the maths tell us? First we see that the heavy plasma incinerator is garbage. With the severe degradation of strength in 8th edition the benefit of S8 or S9 is just not worth the loss of firepower. Things might be different if the heavy variant did more damage (maybe d3 or d6 supercharged) but as it stands right now unless you're shooting beyond 24" and not moving you're better off with the assault or rapid fire variant. If you expect your hellblasters to get within 12" of the enemy then the hot rapid fire variant is superior, but the assault version is equivalent against most targets and only has a slightly reduced capability against vehicles. I'd say that if I were to put my Hellblasters in a Repulsor or deep strike them then I could see the rapid fire being preferable, but otherwise I'm all for the assault.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

mango sentinel posted:

Warhammer 40keighteen owns.

I am vindicated

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ANAmal.net posted:

I'm leaning towards setting up a unit of 10 heavy Hellbois, so they can use Grim Resolve to explode less while constantly overcharging, just kind of a shittier devastator squad. Leaning towards one huge squad to get the most out of the 1CP "+1 damage" strategem, and maybe park a Lt next to them for the re-rolls on wounds. This may not be a great use of 400 points, but it's loving cool and strikes me as Dark Angel-y as all hell.

On a lark I decided to see what would happen if you added one more damage; it looks like the assault incinerators get even better since they have more shots.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
No one can tell the difference between the assault and rapid fire hellblaster guns anyway so it’s more versatile in that way too.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

No one can tell the difference between the assault and rapid fire hellblaster guns anyway so it’s more versatile in that way too.

Yeah, as far as I can tell it's a little thing on the front? If someone called me out on that I'd shrug and admit I had no idea what I was doing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

That may be an overall Adepticon thing though - before registration opened they warned that last year their most popular painting classes sold out "within hours". This year most of the seminars sold out within minutes. Several sold out while I was checking out, and I was sitting at my computer waiting the moment they opened.

Yeah, I reconsidered going because all the stuff I wanted to do filled up and had deep waitlists within an hour.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I got that Russian modular terrain in the mail today after waiting a month (as is usual for Russia) and I have to say, it doesn't look nearly as bad or as toy-like as people in this thread made it out to be, I think I'll have fun painting this

But should I glue everything together before I paint it, or wait for afterwards? I was kind of hoping to take advantage of the modular aspect of it but I don't know how sturdy the connectors are gonna be

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I did some maths:

pre:
Number of Kills Against Various Targets for Plasma Incinerator Variants

Weapon			T3/6+/1W	T4/5+/1W	T4/3+/1W	T4/2+/2W	T7/3+/11W	T8/2+/16W
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rapid Fire		0.56		0.44		0.44		0.19		0.03		0.01
Rapid Fire (<12")	1.11		0.89		0.89		0.37		0.06		0.02
Hot Rapid Fire		0.56		0.56		0.56		0.46		0.08		0.03
Hot Rapid Fire (<12")	1.11		1.11		1.11		0.93		0.16		0.07
Assault			1.11		0.89		0.89		0.37		0.04		0.02
Hot Assault		1.11		0.89		0.89		0.74		0.12		0.05
Heavy			0.56		0.56		0.56		0.23		0.04		0.02
Hot Heavy		0.56		0.56		0.56		0.46		0.08		0.05
Macro			1.94		1.94		1.94		0.81		0.14		0.06
Macro (Hot)		1.94		1.94		1.94		1.62		0.28		0.16
What do the maths tell us? First we see that the heavy plasma incinerator is garbage. With the severe degradation of strength in 8th edition the benefit of S8 or S9 is just not worth the loss of firepower. Things might be different if the heavy variant did more damage (maybe d3 or d6 supercharged) but as it stands right now unless you're shooting beyond 24" and not moving you're better off with the assault or rapid fire variant. If you expect your hellblasters to get within 12" of the enemy then the hot rapid fire variant is superior, but the assault version is equivalent against most targets and only has a slightly reduced capability against vehicles. I'd say that if I were to put my Hellblasters in a Repulsor or deep strike them then I could see the rapid fire being preferable, but otherwise I'm all for the assault.

This is extremely helpful.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Sex Cannon posted:

This is extremely helpful.

Agreed. I tend to prefer "Damage Done" instead of "models killed" for high toughness/high wound levels of comparison simply because there are so many tanks with so many different amounts of wounds, but this is a very good table.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I'm considering writing a guide on slamming hams on the cheap: good idea / bad idea

Basically I've purchased every single cheap proxy/third-party thing in existence (only the cheap ones) so I can provide some meaningful reviews of them

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

goose willis posted:

I'm considering writing a guide on slamming hams on the cheap: good idea / bad idea

Basically I've purchased every single cheap proxy/third-party thing in existence (only the cheap ones) so I can provide some meaningful reviews of them

Yes please

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Corrode posted:

Are you set on Marines or not even decided that far? The only thing I know you play is the Ultras.

Ultramarines is all I have. Not sure if I should run a couple forgeworld ball busters with Guilliman or bring some lesser quality stuff. With smite changes I’m unsure if I can just get away with dropping my Culexus and running a couple librarians to handle my anti-psyker duties.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

Agreed. I tend to prefer "Damage Done" instead of "models killed" for high toughness/high wound levels of comparison simply because there are so many tanks with so many different amounts of wounds, but this is a very good table.

I hadn't considered that. Here's how that looks. I actually like the granularity of this a bit more.
pre:
Average Damage Per Shooting Phase Against Various Targets

Weapon					T3/6+	T4/5+	T4/3+	T4/2+	T7/3+	T8/2+
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Assault Plasma Incinerator		1.11	0.89	0.89	0.74	0.44	0.37
Assault Plasma Incinerator (Hot)	2.22	1.78	1.78	1.48	1.33	0.74
Heavy Plasma Incinerator		0.56	0.56	0.56	0.46	0.44	0.28
Heavy Plasma Incinerator (Hot)		1.11	1.11	1.11	0.93	0.89	0.74
Macro Plasma Incinerator		1.94	1.94	1.94	1.62	1.56	0.97
Macro Plasma Incinerator (Hot)		3.89	3.89	3.89	3.24	3.11	2.59
Plasma Incinerator			0.56	0.44	0.44	0.37	0.33	0.19
Plasma Incinerator (<12")		1.11	0.89	0.89	0.74	0.67	0.37
Plasma Incinerator (Hot)		1.11	1.11	1.11	0.93	0.89	0.56
Plasma Incinerator (<12", Hot)		2.22	2.22	2.22	1.85	1.78	1.11
Plasma Exterminator			1.11	0.89	0.74	0.59	0.56	0.30
Plasma Exterminator (Hot)		2.22	2.22	1.85	1.48	1.48	0.89

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Interesting. Does Grim Resolve make much of a difference to the Heavy Plasma Incinerators? Assuming you always leave them static and rely on their superior range they would be re-rolling 1s to hit.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Interesting. Does Grim Resolve make much of a difference to the Heavy Plasma Incinerators? Assuming you always leave them static and rely on their superior range they would be re-rolling 1s to hit.

It ups the number of hits from 2/3rds to 7/9ths. It makes a difference, but you'd probably end up getting more out of the Assault guys parking at 20".

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
So can someone just visit Adepticon to take photos of costumes, buy forgeworld stuff, and meet goons for drinks or do you need to be registered for the events in order to go in to the convention? I've lived in and around Chicago my whole life but have never been to it before.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Geoff Zahn posted:

So can someone just visit Adepticon to take photos of costumes, buy forgeworld stuff, and meet goons for drinks or do you need to be registered for the events in order to go in to the convention? I've lived in and around Chicago my whole life but have never been to it before.

According to the website, a badge is only required if you play in an event, attend a seminar, or enter the competition. If you want to hang out, do informal gaming, and spend money they're more than willing to let you.

It's super casual and if it wasn't during the month when I'm swamped doing robot stuff I would totally end up going probably have to stay home and work on my PhD.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Hey mod guy if I make that budget slam ham guide do I post it as a reply or as a separate thread (so other people can also contribute)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

According to the website, a badge is only required if you play in an event, attend a seminar, or enter the competition. If you want to hang out, do informal gaming, and spend money they're more than willing to let you.

It's super casual and if it wasn't during the month when I'm swamped doing robot stuff I would totally end up going probably have to stay home and work on my PhD.

Are you actually part of the Adeptus Mechanicus?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

As Strobe indicated it improves the damage by 17%, but it applies to everything. You're better off standing still and firing assault plasma incinerators.

Technowolf posted:

Are you actually part of the Adeptus Mechanicus?

I'm still waiting for my mechadendrites.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Geoff Zahn posted:

Yes, join us.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm still waiting for my mechadendrites.

Fb; God loving dammit beer, I was going to make a “he’s only that tall *because* of the mechandendrites” joke.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Fb; God loving dammit beer, I was going to make a “he’s only that tall *because* of the mechandendrites” joke.

I was actually a Primaris prototype.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Corrode posted:

Reivers aren't good at combat, but they are competent. They are good at bullying stuff like Devastators and other poo poo little shooting units, or harassing tanks to stop them shooting for a turn. I think what you equip them with is basically a wash, but carbines give more reliable threat at a longer distance.

Thanks. I'll probably just do 5 of each then.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I actually like the granularity of this a bit more.

I like damage points much better than kills as well. Additionally I've been interpreting the mathhammer charts on a per shot basis so the distinctions for rapid fire is throwing me off.

Geoff Zahn posted:

Yeah man, you absolutely can. I'd bet you could come listen in on seminars too if you're a gentle-goon.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm swamped doing robot stuff I would totally end up going probably have to stay home and work on my PhD.

Hold the mother loving presses, are you a robotics engineer?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DiHK posted:

I like damage points much better than kills as well. Additionally I've been interpreting the mathhammer charts on a per shot basis so the distinctions for rapid fire is throwing me off.

Hold the mother loving presses, are you a robotics engineer?

I figure the per shots number makes less sense than a per round, since you always fire the maximum you can.

I volunteer for a high school robotics program called FIRST as a robot inspector. Specifically I am the head of robot inspection for the Chesapeake district. It's a lot of work but a ton of fun, and I love seeing all of the work that the kids put in.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Fuckin sweet, thanks for the info on Adepticon guys. Hope to meet some of you all there!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
That's cool B4BG, still assuming you'r doctorate is in engineering? I'm really excited for the time when I can throw complex poo poo at my progeny.

Hells yeah Geoff.

When it comes to March we should develop some kind of goony meet up. I'm local and available for taxi services.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 20, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

Ultramarines is all I have. Not sure if I should run a couple forgeworld ball busters with Guilliman or bring some lesser quality stuff. With smite changes I’m unsure if I can just get away with dropping my Culexus and running a couple librarians to handle my anti-psyker duties.

I think if the smite change is used it'll make a big difference. From your 4th Smite onwards it's less likely to cast than not, or your 2nd if there's a Culexus nearby. The possibility alone will probably put people off. I'm tempted to turn mine back into an Eversor and deal with psykers by eating them alive.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Geoff Zahn posted:

Fuckin sweet, thanks for the info on Adepticon guys. Hope to meet some of you all there!

I'm down for a beer or two

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

whiteshark12 posted:

I feel the salamander chapter tactic needs more recognition, it turns dreadnoughts into absolute murder machines.

Wouldn't Dark Angels also bee good for shooty marines?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Tried out running rhinos filled with minimum size melta/combimelta Salamanders squads and it turned out okay in terms of murderizing vehicles on the second turn.

Also my sniper scouts managed to bag two characters due to the rerolls :toot:

Also my storm-shield + Teeth of Terra captain did some work by wrecking Straken, a gravis captain, and a pair of BA assault terminators.

And then he died in a rhino explosion. RIP.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 20, 2017

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

goose willis posted:

Go for it. We look forward to telling you how you are wrong about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Hands off that's my gimmick