Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Babymetal doesn’t translate to the US because like Marty Friedman says, metal isn’t viewed the same in Japan. America hates fun over the top bombastic metal. I like it. A lot. It’s a nice change of pace from dead serious grim sad metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Varg posted:

It's just Dragonforce with little girls singing about chocolate, idk how it got so popular. it makes no sense

That would be one thing if it were as interesting as Dragonforce to listen to. Babymetal is musically/technically super-repetitive gobbledy-gook about what the gently caress ever.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 20, 2017

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I do not like Babymetal.

"Why are you so insecure?!?!"

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Maybe it's OK to like Babymetal... and OK to not like them?!

They are far more interesting to listen to than Dragonforce though IMO.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Fenrir posted:

Is it really bad that I'm like, 39 and love the poo poo out of Babymetal? I mean 90% of it is Nakamoto Suzuka's voice. I could probably listen to that kid sing the drat phone book.

e: Can't say that poo poo without a link to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWRMx68jRCk

Are you also a big star trek fan?

Besides the pedo stuff, babymetal is poo poo because it's just pre manufactured, emasculated music.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Van Dis posted:

Babymetal rules first because the music is good and fun and second because of how insecure they make serious metal dudes who desperately want to believe that the lines they try to draw around music genres represent anything apart from their personal prejudices, and it's completely hilarious

I'm perfectly secure in my opinion that the band that fuses jpop and bad metal in a lazy way isn't very good

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Another top album from 2017 that I discovered late: White Ward - Futility Report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGFkjXPPHqU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MHl_CG0Lik

Ukranian black metal that jumps into full blown saxophone solos and jazz interludes.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Van Dis posted:

Babymetal rules first because the music is good and fun and second because of how insecure they make serious metal dudes who desperately want to believe that the lines they try to draw around music genres represent anything apart from their personal prejudices, and it's completely hilarious

Huh? I just think it's boring and gimmicky. That doesn't exactly sound like I'm wrapped up in insecurities.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Come on guys, this isn't that hard. Of course it's okay to not enjoy Babymetal, but there is no end of entertainment to be had re: how upset some metal dudes get about it because they absolutely can't stand anything that isn't 100% masculine in their metal. I realize that holding two concepts in your head at once is difficult but please try, tia

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Huh? I just think it's boring and gimmicky. That doesn't exactly sound like I'm wrapped up in insecurities.

This is the okay normal reason to dislike them

Non Serviam posted:

Besides the pedo stuff, babymetal is poo poo because it's just pre manufactured, emasculated music.

This is the embarrassing reason to dislike them

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Malokarpatan and Evilfeast are great. I've been listening to Nordkarpatanland a lot and it has grown on me even more. Evilfeast is quite immersive, it's a good nighttime listen.

Grafvitnir's "Keys to the Mysteries Beyond" came out a few days ago and it's pretty good. It has some cool melodies and a nice sound to it. Seems to be in line with Swedish "orthodox" black metal - not quite my thing, but cool nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAlI9J8LBkQ

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Van Dis posted:

Come on guys, this isn't that hard. Of course it's okay to not enjoy Babymetal, but there is no end of entertainment to be had re: how upset some metal dudes get about it because they absolutely can't stand anything that isn't 100% masculine in their metal. I realize that holding two concepts in your head at once is difficult but please try, tia

I've never seen this before once

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

nerve posted:

I’ve seen it a ton on social media and YouTube.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My favourite dumbass metalhead whinge moment was the Youtube commenters giving Johan Hegg poo poo for appearing on that Audrey Horne music video, because wah wah such commercial music abloo bloo. Meanwhile Metal Blade records were selling Amon Amarth bobbleheads.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Nordick posted:

My favourite dumbass metalhead whinge moment was the Youtube commenters giving Johan Hegg poo poo for appearing on that Audrey Horne music video, because wah wah such commercial music abloo bloo. Meanwhile Metal Blade records were selling Amon Amarth bobbleheads.

Yes. Metal Blade. The mark of underground quality.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Kilometers Davis posted:

Babymetal doesn’t translate to the US because like Marty Friedman says, metal isn’t viewed the same in Japan. America hates fun over the top bombastic metal. I like it. A lot. It’s a nice change of pace from dead serious grim sad metal.

I mean, I understand that people like babymetal, but let's be honest: it's not that metal isnt viewed the same in the US as it is Japan, it's that oogling pre-pubescent girls isnt viewed the same in America as it is Japan.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Personally the worst part of this argument is the senseless slandering of Dragonforce who are cool and my friends.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Varg posted:

It's just Dragonforce with little girls singing about chocolate, idk how it got so popular. it makes no sense

dragonforce would be way cooler if they sang about chocolate

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I mean, I understand that people like babymetal, but let's be honest: it's not that metal isnt viewed the same in the US as it is Japan, it's that oogling pre-pubescent girls isnt viewed the same in America as it is Japan.

Wait are you saying young female pop stars are not sexualized in America

Because uh you ought to rethink that

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

nerve posted:

like 7 posts above you, dude

Non Serviam posted:

Kilometers Davis posted:

america likes over the top bombastic metal just fine, but it also has to be christmas music for some weird reason

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 20, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
wait, how is something "pre manufactured"?

like are the main components made beforehand then final assembly done on site, and we're just not counting that step in the overall manufacturing process?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Capharnaum is my favorite metal band with a 14-year-old who also wrote a Backstreet Boys song.

No, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSKt71BR_z8

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We need way more metal songs where a dude is angry that he got cut off in traffic and way fewer songs about slaughtering everyone in a village or how black the darkness is.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

xzzy posted:

metal songs where a dude is angry that he got cut off in traffic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P45gI0FY728

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zodijackylite posted:

Capharnaum is my favorite metal band with a 14-year-old who also wrote a Backstreet Boys song.

No, really.

matt heafy wrote a backstreet boys song?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Non Serviam posted:

I really enjoy listening to Reinkaos, Dissection's last album.

Fight me.

Reinkaos is cool and good. gently caress the haters.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

While I like Babymetal, it is kind of sad that we've spent so long talking about them rather than Malokarpatan or Apostate Viaticum or Woe or one of the other bands posted about recently. I have to address this though, because the girls in Babymetal aren't sexualised at all and suggesting that anyone who likes something with girls in it must be a pedo says more about you than the band. Claiming it's emasculated is also dumb because it makes you sound like you just don't like women in your music, and combined with the pedo thing makes you sound like you think girls can only be sex objects. The manufactured thing is something I used to care about when I was a teenager until I realised that there is a lot of great "manufactured" music out there and performance matters as much as composition.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I just found out Warrel Dane died. This impacted me more than any celebrity death I can recall. I expected a Nevermore reunion since all the guys involved said it was a definite possibility, even soon after they broke up. So this has dashed those hopes, as well as expectations of some solid Dane solo and Sanctuary stuff in the meantime. His voice and lyrics were so much of what made his bands great.

Both times I had tickets to see them their shows were cancelled, the second time being a show that was meant to happen a week after they broke up. Now I'll never be able to. :(

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

TeamJesus posted:

Another top album from 2017 that I discovered late: White Ward - Futility Report

Ukranian black metal that jumps into full blown saxophone solos and jazz interludes.

This is great, I love it when sax is used well in metal (or anywhere, really).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Neurosis posted:

I just found out Warrel Dane died.

Sucks and is sad. Nevermore was a cool band and I liked them, they were never on my top favourites list but they made a number of very good albums and this made me revisit and re-appreciate them.

Did see them live once, at a festival about a decade ago. Was a good show.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

il_cornuto posted:

The manufactured thing is something I used to care about when I was a teenager until I realised that there is a lot of great "manufactured" music out there and performance matters as much as composition.

it's also a stupid argument in this case because the dudes in their backing band are legit metal guys from a bunch of other bands. iirc their lead guitarist is in marty friedman's band

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

Reinkaos is cool and good. gently caress the haters.

It's a fantastic album, the value of which only increases when you realize that it was really this mad man's religious manifesto. I find the whole left hand path thing absurd, but I can sort of appreciate how it influenced Jon here.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I liked Dissection the couple of times I listened to them, but then I found out that Jon comitted a (probably homophobic) murder, and also used to kill cats. I can seperate the artist and their work to an extent, but that's too much for me.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

il_cornuto posted:

I liked Dissection the couple of times I listened to them, but then I found out that Jon comitted a (probably homophobic) murder, and also used to kill cats. I can seperate the artist and their work to an extent, but that's too much for me.

Thulcandra: same great taste, none of the fat homophobic murder (as far as I know).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Hulk Krogan posted:

Thulcandra: same great taste, none of the fat homophobic murder (as far as I know).

Most metal bands probably haven't committed any murders. As far as we know.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I guess I had kinda sub-consciuosly thought that I'd already heard the best this whole retro blues rock revival trend had to offer.

But yesterday I discovered this Norwegian band called Pristine and welp. Great vocalist, really good groove going on. Sometimes they go into just straight-up blues mode and the guitaring really shines in those songs.

I am completely loving hooked and Ninja is absolutely going onto my AOTY list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feEA6XH-Aio

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

il_cornuto posted:

While I like Babymetal, it is kind of sad that we've spent so long talking about them rather than Malokarpatan or Apostate Viaticum or Woe or one of the other bands posted about recently. I have to address this though, because the girls in Babymetal aren't sexualised at all and suggesting that anyone who likes something with girls in it must be a pedo says more about you than the band. Claiming it's emasculated is also dumb because it makes you sound like you just don't like women in your music, and combined with the pedo thing makes you sound like you think girls can only be sex objects. The manufactured thing is something I used to care about when I was a teenager until I realised that there is a lot of great "manufactured" music out there and performance matters as much as composition.

Emasculated was probably the wrong word. I don't have a problem with women in metal; on the contrary, I like stuff like Blood Ceremony, Crucified Barbara and Battle Beast.

The issue ends up being about how you define metal. If it's defined exclusively by its sound, then babymetal definitely fall within the genre. I see metal differently though, largely defined not only by the sound, but also by a certain rebellion. Of course, a band made up by record executives that is basically an Idol band with electric guitars doesn't really fit that definition.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Oh I don't care if Babymetal are actually "metal" or not, they have too many death growls to fit in any other thread but if you want to say they're not metal that's fine.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

il_cornuto posted:

Oh I don't care if Babymetal are actually "metal" or not, they have too many death growls to fit in any other thread but if you want to say they're not metal that's fine.

It's a pointless argument since people can like whatever (like I like Reinkaos even though black metal purists hate it). I just wanted to clarify that the female presence is definitely not my issue here (though I can see how my stupid choice of words could lead to that idea).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Non Serviam posted:

I see metal differently though, largely defined not only by the sound, but also by a certain rebellion.

metal hasn't been rebellious in like 30 years