Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Plutonis posted:

As much I know and dread your answer, what does this pertain to Traditional Games?

e: Ah, Starfinder. Truly fitting, carry on.

Oh god, RPGs being tied to incel now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the virgin d20
and
the chad PBTA

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

the virgin 3.Pf
and
the chad PBTA

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

the virgin d20
and
the chad PBTA

i thought about doing pbta but i like rolling a lot of dice at once

Serf
May 5, 2011

hyphz posted:

Oh god, RPGs being tied to incel now :(

now?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

the virgin d20
and
the chad PBTA

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Well they were always tied to nerdiness, but not to misogyny, suicidal ideation and sympathy with rampage killers.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I would much rather aspire to be a PTBA Chad than I would a Starfinger Incel.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Wesley Snipes and Sean Astin, notable incels.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

hyphz posted:

Well they were always tied to nerdiness, but not to misogyny, suicidal ideation and sympathy with rampage killers.

Roleplaying games sure were associated with those things during the Satanic Panic.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

hyphz posted:

Man I hate to break it to you but misogyny has been a part of RPG and nerd culture more generally for the longest rear end time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
ive been associating suicidal ideation and nerdiness for a while now

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

ive been associating suicidal ideation and nerdiness for a while now

Todstriebe is more common than ever in modern society, Count.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
its incredibly hosed

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Freudian posted:

So I'm joining my friends' Dungeon World campaign as a Paladin in the new year, with the basic character concept of Sailorc Moon. Any tips on how not to be That Paladin?

That Paladin doesn't care if anyone else is having fun. They want to make the game all about themselves. That Paladin goes past the usual attempt to disclaim responsibility because "but my character" by pretending the character would also rather not be doing this "but my god".

So, think about a couple of things to help your fellow players out.

- When You Are The Law, you give orders based on your divine authority, but where does your authority come from and what does it cover?
- If your GM is giving you the standard racial power, you'll be able to pray for guidance and always know what here is evil. So in your catechism, what is evil? Is it only a force from outside the world? Can it live in the hearts of men? Can it pool in a place, taint an item, scar plants and animals?
- Look at the oaths you might have to swear when you devote yourself to a Quest. In the past, have you found yourself needing to swear certain ones more often? What does that say about the divine? About you?

Now that you've thought about that, look at your bonds and think about them and which of the other characters they might apply to. Talk to those players, see if they're cool with it, and come up with a brief history where the bond was established or a possible future where it's resolved. If they're writing a bond with you, same thing.

So now, if you legitimately want to play someone who doesn't want to do what the divine is demanding from them, because that poo poo is totes dramatic which is why it even begrudgingly works for That Paladin in the first place, you've got buy-in from other people who are willing to work with your drama.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Blade and Sean Astin, notable incels.
FTFY as per Mr. Snipes' contract requirements.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Helical Nightmares posted:

Roleplaying games sure were associated with those things during the Satanic Panic.

Look, when you've done so many terrible things that you need to invent people who are worse than you in order to feel better about yourself, it helps sell the lie if you don't actually understand any of the things the imaginary people who are worse than you are supposed to be doing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The shadowrun movie starring Will Smith, directed by David Ayer and written by Max Landis is out. Anyone streaming it?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Freudian posted:

So I'm joining my friends' Dungeon World campaign as a Paladin in the new year, with the basic character concept of Sailorc Moon. Any tips on how not to be That Paladin?

I appreciate going full anime. The most anime I've ever gone with a pally was playing Luffy D. Paladin in World's Largest Dungeon. It was easy to keep him as a kinda stupid, but endearing and heroic figure. He just didn't care that the party had an clearly evil assassin on a quest for vengeance. He would defend her if someone else said something bad about her, the same way he would defend anyone else if they were being picked on. You could probably stick to something similar for Sailorc Moon, just go on about justice and protecting the innocent a lot.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Plutonis posted:

The shadowrun movie starring Will Smith, directed by David Ayer and written by Max Landis is out. Anyone streaming it?

"There’s boring, there’s bad, and then there’s “Bright,” a movie so profoundly awful that Republicans will probably try to pass it into law over Christmas break."

I won't bother linking any full reviews of the movie because nothing can top that line.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

If you want inspiration for being a good paladin, Terry Pratchett's a great way to go. Any of the Watch books are great but Feet of Clay is probably the standout. Pay attention to both Vimes and Carrot. Small Gods is also a great one and it's more stand alone. The witch books are also great, Granny Weatherwax would be quite the paladin if it didn't involve flouncing around in a bunch of silly dishware.

Dec 26, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

"There’s boring, there’s bad, and then there’s “Bright,” a movie so profoundly awful that Republicans will probably try to pass it into law over Christmas break."

I won't bother linking any full reviews of the movie because nothing can top that line.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

quote:

“This is the purge, right?” Will Smith asked the crowd. “This is the cleanse, this is what happens. This is the natural reaction to the amount of light that came into the world when Barack Obama was the president.” [...] “We had to expect that [the pendulum] was going to go the other way,” he said. “As a cleanse — this is the darkness before the dawn.”

When that happens, he said, “I feel very, very strongly that we are shifting into what the next age of humanity is going to be right now,” he said. “It’s just the poo poo has to get stirred up, in a way. We’re seeing it all.”

He truly is his son's father.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hell, same

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

Holy poo poo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The castigation of Bright's setting tends to miss that it's a Shadowrun expy, but it ends up highlighting the problem that Shadowrun's setting isn't that great even if you looked at it by itself anyway.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame Bright is failing, because I would like to see a sympathetic orc hero in a movie :3: :orks:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Weirdo posted:

It's a shame Bright is failing, because I would like to see a sympathetic orc hero in a movie :3: :orks:

Durotan from the 2016 classic Warcraft???

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Weirdo posted:

It's apparently already had a sequel order, despite the bad reviews, so.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It turns out that when you are - or worship - one of those cyberpunk villains in real life, you're gonna be real lousy at trying to write it!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

Durotan from the 2016 classic Warcraft???

I wonder if Bowie watched his son's movie before he died.

ProfessorCirno posted:

It turns out that when you are - or worship - one of those cyberpunk villains in real life, you're gonna be real lousy at trying to write it!

Insert that "nepotism in hollywood is INSANE wait i didn't mean me" tweets.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Glazius posted:

Paladins

That's a pretty good take on having fun as a paladin.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmfao the cined warcraft thread is 68 pages long

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ProfessorCirno posted:

That's Max Landis for ya!

Dude can't write his way out of a loving paper bag.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

I met him in Vancouver and to his credit he was very friendly and nice, but man he is living in another world, where a $700 USD hoodie barely registers as an expense.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I liked the triple h vid but he's terrible and if I had the chance to change time I'd switch him and his dad with vic morrow and those two vietnamese kids

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Guys I was given 20 Switchbux what do I spend it on?

EDIT: Wrong Thread
Fake Second Edit: Fuckit answer me anyways.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

Max Landis is proof we should tax inheritance 100% and raise rich kids away from their parents.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

I liked the triple h vid but he's terrible and if I had the chance to change time I'd switch him and his dad with vic morrow and those two vietnamese kids

lmao, tough but fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Guys I was given 20 Switchbux what do I spend it on?

EDIT: Wrong Thread
Fake Second Edit: Fuckit answer me anyways.

Golf Story or Battle Chef Brigade. Altnernately DLC for a Nintendo game you like but would never buy the DLC for yourself otherwise.

• Locked thread