Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I want to have Arnold on retainer.

Not for lifting advice. Just to like hang out and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bakalakadaka posted:

Getting up early to gym is hard but lol if I'll ever do it at another hour when there's people at the gym

I love working out in a busy gym. Got to have a bit of atmosphere in the room and some stuff to look at between (and during) sets.

Peak post-work hours are a madhouse but anytime after 7pm is ideal.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

sassassin posted:

I love working out in a busy gym. Got to have a bit of atmosphere in the room and some stuff to look at between (and during) sets.

Peak post-work hours are a madhouse but anytime after 7pm is ideal.

I have a fairly small gym and I like being done with everything when I get home from work lmao

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

what's everyones fitness new years resolution?

i want to get a muscle up in 2018

Lose another ~10kg and the last of my belly/chin pudge

E: Quick question- I've moved, and I've got the choice between a two-story commercial-ish gym within a block of me, a gym that's a bit further out but is like four stories and has an entire floor dedicated exclusively to lifting, and a gym that is also a bit further out, has a lifting totals leaderboard, and doesn't have any cardio machines because they have all of the weight training equipment in the world. They all cost about the same amount.

What's my good option here goons?

Somfin fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 22, 2017

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

In your heart you know the answer.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Somfin posted:

What's my good option here goons?
Do you need cardio equipment?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
You're asking for advice in the GBS lifting thread. Join that Zumba class and go hog wild.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Speaking of, has anyone been to Quads Gym in Chicago? I'm moving near there, and it looks ideal.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I know people who have been and it's definitely worth it. Ed Coan might show you how to open your taint.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

eat less cheese. drink less alcohol. try to forget that we're all doomed to atrophy.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

i want to get a muscle up in 2018

I wanna drop 12 pounds so I can see what I've been working on for the last six months better

OTOH I hate exercising on a cut

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm just hoping to get to the standard 1/2/3/4 plate milestone. OHP is probably already there, if not my max is probably 130. My bench max is around 205ish and creeping up slowly. I've only been squatting for real for a month or two since my knee stuff, but I've been adding 5 lbs every workout which I'm hoping will take me a little bit past 225 for reps. Deadlift is maybe around 300, I dunno so I got a lot of lower body catch up to do.

Composition wise I'd like to get down to 170-175lbs(started at 210, currently 188 at 6'1) and maybe chill there for a while and then get my diet in better order for a lean bulk. I haven't really put much muscle on even though I've made decent strength gains probably because I've been losing a little weight.

edit: On a positive note, the other day after I did OHP I was in my bathroom taking my shirt off for reasons other than flexing in the mirror, and I can definitely see my serratus muscle when I lift my arm up. Just barely, but that's still weird because I assumed by the time you get that you'd have to be shredded and my bodyfat is like 18%. Maybe I just don't store much fat in that area or something?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 22, 2017

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm just hoping to get to the standard 1/2/3/4 plate milestone. OHP is probably already there, if not my max is probably 130. My bench max is around 205ish and creeping up slowly. I've only been squatting for real for a month or two since my knee stuff, but I've been adding 5 lbs every workout which I'm hoping will take me a little bit past 225 for reps. Deadlift is maybe around 300, I dunno so I got a lot of lower body catch up to do.

Composition wise I'd like to get down to 170-175lbs(started at 210, currently 188 at 6'1) and maybe chill there for a while and then get my diet in better order for a lean bulk. I haven't really put much muscle on even though I've made decent strength gains probably because I've been losing a little weight.

edit: On a positive note, the other day after I did OHP I was in my bathroom taking my shirt off for reasons other than flexing in the mirror, and I can definitely see my serratus muscle when I lift my arm up. Just barely, but that's still weird because I assumed by the time you get that you'd have to be shredded and my bodyfat is like 18%. Maybe I just don't store much fat in that area or something?

Good god don't cut down to 175 at 6'+, keep your weight and and try to recomp or whatever.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm 5'11" and almost 190lbs. I don't FEEL that fat.... But I'm definitely curvy

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I weigh 230lbs at 6'1"
I should be leaner but i wouldnt want to weigh less than 200

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Maybe you guys just have more lean mass than I do, but 175-180 wouldn't be ridiculous for me at all.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Maybe you should do something to gain more lean mass like eat more.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

is recomp actually a thing

I thought it was impossible bro science ?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm seriously confused by this thread sometimes. Like, I drank too much beer for a year or so there and got a beer belly and wanted to lose it and then try and gain weight right. I don't feel that is ridiculous.

edit: I think Jeff Nippard did a video on recomp. I can't really remember specifics but I think it was something like recomping being possible, but just really slow and inefficient compared to a lean bulk and cut. I also remember it depends a lot on your body type. I'm not opposed to the idea or anything, as I said I was just getting rid of a small belly and 175 was what I weighed before I started drinking so it seemed like a good number to shoot for. I may just do 180.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 22, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Weighing under 100 kilos would make me uncomfortable... We're not small children ffs

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Lmao 5’9” and 220 but with a 34 inch waist.

My goal is a sloooooow cut back to manlet status and see what I look like. (Hint: terrible, thanks body dismorphia!)

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I’m only 5’9” @ 183lbs, but I still feel skinny fat.

Mainly because all my fat is in my waist and nowhere else

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm seriously confused by this thread sometimes. Like, I drank too much beer for a year or so there and got a beer belly and wanted to lose it and then try and gain weight right. I don't feel that is ridiculous.

edit: I think Jeff Nippard did a video on recomp. I can't really remember specifics but I think it was something like recomping being possible, but just really slow and inefficient compared to a lean bulk and cut. I also remember it depends a lot on your body type. I'm not opposed to the idea or anything, as I said I was just getting rid of a small belly and 175 was what I weighed before I started drinking so it seemed like a good number to shoot for. I may just do 180.

Your instincts are correct. Recomps are possible, but slow as poo poo compared to just focusing on bulking or cutting. IMO, at 18% bf you are better served by cutting and then bulking after you get to the 10-12% range.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm 5'11, I dropped from 195 to 168 by cutting while strength training. Anxiety and other bullshit excuses mean I haven't gone to the gym since the start of November. New Year's resolution is pretty simple - get back to the fukken gym, guy.

OTOH I've been holding steady at 168-170 since then so it appears at least the better eating habits part stuck!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I'm 6'2'' and around 250. The lowest I've been post-high school was about 200, and that was when I ran 5 miles a day and never lifted a thing. My goal is to get down to 220 sometime this year.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Peoples bods are different

Some people, like myself for example, carry a ton of extra weight on their penis, since it is so huge. This often skews numbers a lot

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

You're 10lbs ish pounds away from your goal weight, which I think is too low anyway, but from your strength numbers im guessing you have a pretty good muscle base under your fat. That's weight difference is close enough that I think you should just focus on building more muscle/strengnth at this point and the rest will take care of its self better than if you cut those 10lbs over the next however many months and start over.

Fallows fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 22, 2017

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Zzulu posted:

Peoples bods are different

Some people, like myself for example, carry a ton of extra weight on their penis, since it is so huge. This often skews numbers a lot

Are we talking metric ton or imperial?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

doverhog posted:

Weighing under 100 kilos would make me uncomfortable... We're not small children ffs

I identify as a small child.

I'd like to get down to 155 again but lol just lol at that happening at this time of the year.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

doverhog posted:

I look the same at 93kg as 100kg. Like a pile of garbage.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 22, 2017

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
This year I went from 230lbs in Jan down to an all time adult low of like 197 after a hard workout but usually more like 200. It'd be cool to go from 205 I'm at now to 190ish. It'd be cool to be more consistent with getting in the weight room twice a week, at the very least I'd like to get to maybe 10 unassisted pullups from the 4-5 I'm at now.

Unfortunately for my sport of choice (cycling) weight loss is by far the best way to improve. Being 6'5" I'm in trouble right from the start.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've always looked kind of scrawny under my flab somehow; even when I've got my weight down I've ended up looking like a scarecrow with wobbly manboobs rather than anything anyone would want to see with its shirt off

Only now just this year, at age 41, I'm at last starting to get some of that inverted-triangle look going, some shoulders starting to assert themselves, and having trouble getting below 175 (at 6'0") whereas last year I was able to get to 165 before running out of steam

This year's resolution: abs

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Fallows posted:

You're 10lbs ish pounds away from your goal weight, which I think is too low anyway, but from your strength numbers im guessing you have a pretty good muscle base under your fat. That's weight difference is close enough that I think you should just focus on building more muscle/strengnth at this point and the rest will take care of its self better than if you cut those 10lbs over the next however many months and start over.

Well, if I do 180 that's only about 8 more lbs to lose which shouldn't take that long. Plus I can just see hints of abs/serratus, hell I could even see my obliques a little last night, and I know "I want abs" is kind of a basic bitch sort of exercise goal but when I was 155 lbs because drugs, I still didn't have abs. I just want to see them for one time in my life and I'm almost there. Plus if I bulk correctly I might even be able to keep them for a bit.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 22, 2017

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

I've been thinking of the cut vs keep bulking thing. I'm 6'3" and 185lbs at somewhere around 15-20% BF (guessing, based on previous bodpod). I could cut and look shredded but super skinny, or keep bulking and embrace the fact that I'll get chubby too...

I'm going to Hawaii in March, so I kiiiinda want to be shredded for that. That and I want to finally get my 315 Squat (285 now) , 135 OHP (120 now) , and 225 bench (165 now). Decisions decisions.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
eat the salami

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Data Graham posted:

This year's resolution: abs

they'll be all up ons!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
6'3" and 185lbs? How are you not already shredded.

Bodies are weird, man.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Some of us have girlish frames. I'm 5'11" and 155 lbs. and I'm not shredded.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Ferret King posted:

6'3" and 185lbs? How are you not already shredded.

Bodies are weird, man.

I'm 6'3" and 190lbs and I'm carrying around a significant spare tire. Some people bodies just do things differently. At this weight my body doesn't put fat anywhere else, though, so even though I don't have huge legs, they are clearly defined, and the muscles that attach lats to ribs are easily visible, as is the top half of the top pair of abs. If I gained more weight, my body would put a bit more around my waist, then start on laying it down on my butt and under my chin.

Everybody is going to have distinct patterns to the way they carry fat around, just like everybody has distinct patterns to how they grow muscle.

https://giant.gfycat.com/EqualMeagerIcefish.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Why do people try to rack the weight when they can't get it up? If you can't press it up, it's not going to make it in the hooks. Keep it away from your drat face/neck. up to 200 something lbs isn't going to kill you if you set it down on your stomach.