Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Edmond Dantes posted:

Let's take advantage of the thread being slow to poo poo it up a bit.

I have ~US$ 20 left on my gaming budget, give or take, and can't decide on what to get.

This is my shortlist (prices in USD)
pre:
Dark Souls 3            9.1
Dark Souls 3 + DLC     23.1
Blades of the Shogun   12.3
XCOM2	                9.3
War of the Chosen      18.1
I could stretch the budget a bit to get DS3+DLC, but XCOM2+WOTC is just a over the upper range of what I'd like to spend, tbh.

I you're bored enough to take a look at my wishlist and suggest something else, by all means go ahead, I'd appreciate any input. Prices are different in my region though, but the only things in there over 25 are rear end Origins, Automata and Nioh. (I played Hellblade on a friend's PS4, it's on the list because I'd like to get it eventually, but it's not a priority.)

Dragon's Dogma is really good if you want an action title that lets you stay under budget. XCOM 2 is ok on it's own, but I'd recommend getting it with WotC if you can at all manage it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

It's (near-enough-to) my birthday, and as usual :siren:I'm handing out gifts:siren:.

Add me:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77

Tell me your SA name, and you'll get something good (unless you don't).

In return, please ride the Gift Train or do a short writeup of the game.

(There's no need to post that you've added me in the thread)

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

I you're bored enough to take a look at my wishlist and suggest something else, by all means go ahead, I'd appreciate any input.
I haven't played WotC so I can't speak to how much it improves things, but XCOM 2 on its own is still a hell of a lot of fun and can last you a long time. Off your wishlist, Rayman Legends is a fantastic platformer with a really nice flow, if you end up getting a couple of smaller games. Oh, if Divinity Original Sin 2 is within your budget... it's not very discounted, so I can understand wanting to wait, but it really is fantastic. Especially if you like turn based RPGs.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

OhFunny posted:

I bought Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire from GOG for $2 for the stake of nostalgia.

I did most of my purchases this year on GOG since for most games past the $10 mark they were usually cheaper than on steam.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

StrixNebulosa posted:

Caves of Qud and Cogmind are insanely good if you like that genre! Caves of Qud alone will take hours and hours of your life as you learn how to be a good mutant gunslinger who shoots lasers from her eyes.
I avoid EA games to be honest; I hate feeling that I'm paying to QA something that may be in EA for 2-3 years or may not even come out, not to mention being completely burnt out on a game by the time it actually releases.

Having said that, I really want to play those two. :<

Keeshhound posted:

Dragon's Dogma is really good if you want an action title that lets you stay under budget. XCOM 2 is ok on it's own, but I'd recommend getting it with WotC if you can at all manage it.
I have the original DD and Dark Arisen for the PS3; it's on my wishlist because I surely will play it if I buy it for the third time, right? ...right?

il_cornuto posted:

I haven't played WotC so I can't speak to how much it improves things, but XCOM 2 on its own is still a hell of a lot of fun and can last you a long time. Off your wishlist, Rayman Legends is a fantastic platformer with a really nice flow, if you end up getting a couple of smaller games. Oh, if Divinity Original Sin 2 is within your budget... it's not very discounted, so I can understand wanting to wait, but it really is fantastic. Especially if you like turn based RPGs.
I've heard nothing but good things about OS2 and I could budget it, but I still have Pillars on my backlog so I feel I can wait until it drops in price a bit.

There's been a bit of discussion about XCOM/WOTC in one of the other threads (can't remember if it was the Steam or the Monthly chat), and opinions are kind of conflicting regarding WOTC. Not about the expansion per se, as everyone thinks it's amazing, but I've seen every combination of "play base xcom2 first, then wotc", "just play wotc from the start", and "don't bother with xcom2 unless you have wotc".

I may end up doing Dark Souls 3 + XCOM2 and get their respective expansions next sale when they go down a bit in price...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Edmond Dantes posted:

I avoid EA games to be honest; I hate feeling that I'm paying to QA something that may be in EA for 2-3 years or may not even come out, not to mention being completely burnt out on a game by the time it actually releases.

Having said that, I really want to play those two. :<

I understand that caution and 90% of the time it's the right way to go, but in the case of Qud, when I played it first a few months ago I sincerely didn't even realize it was EA until I was checking out the thread here about it. Even if all development stopped this second I'd feel confident saying you'll get your money's worth, despite the considerable stuff still on the roadmap. In short, game incredibly good, this is a rare case where EA can be safely banked on.

quote:

There's been a bit of discussion about XCOM/WOTC in one of the other threads (can't remember if it was the Steam or the Monthly chat), and opinions are kind of conflicting regarding WOTC. Not about the expansion per se, as everyone thinks it's amazing, but I've seen every combination of "play base xcom2 first, then wotc", "just play wotc from the start", and "don't bother with xcom2 unless you have wotc".

I may end up doing Dark Souls 3 + XCOM2 and get their respective expansions next sale when they go down a bit in price...

XCOM2 was an excellent game at release, and remains so. WOTC makes it even better, and it's an old-school expansion pack in the sense that it adds an absolute ton of content, it's not just some piddly DLC with two missions and a weapon skin or some poo poo. Any configuration of XCOM2 is well worth playing, don't feel that WOTC is obligatory, but know that if/when you add that to the base game, you're going to be in for a good time. So in short I'm saying, any configuration of your plan to get base games and wait for cheaper expansions is certainly a viable one with XCOM2!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'll amend my recommendation to say that if you enjoyed XCOM 1, then you'll also probably enjoy base XCOM 2. My recommendation was meant more for anyone who hasn't played the newer game since 2 does some things that people find irritating.

Also, if it's at a lower price for you (I'm still seeing it at $50), Nier: Automata is a VERY good choice.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I think I failed at the sale. I had a ton of little stuff in my cart, but then I jettisoned 90% of it and just bought Total War: Warhammer 2 at a mere 10% discount along with a couple of pieces of DLC for the original game.

It's awesome so far, and I love lizardmen, but I can't believe that I paid >$50 for something during the sale.

Also, you should buy XCOM 2 War of the Chosen. It's amazing and adds a lot to the base game. If you are going to spend 40 hours going through a campaign run, you might as well get the best version of the thing.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Edmond Dantes posted:

Let's take advantage of the thread being slow to poo poo it up a bit.

I have ~US$ 20 left on my gaming budget, give or take, and can't decide on what to get.

This is my shortlist (prices in USD)
pre:
Dark Souls 3            9.1
Dark Souls 3 + DLC     23.1
Blades of the Shogun   12.3
XCOM2	                9.3
War of the Chosen      18.1
I could stretch the budget a bit to get DS3+DLC, but XCOM2+WOTC is just a over the upper range of what I'd like to spend, tbh.

I you're bored enough to take a look at my wishlist and suggest something else, by all means go ahead, I'd appreciate any input. Prices are different in my region though, but the only things in there over 25 are rear end Origins, Automata and Nioh. (I played Hellblade on a friend's PS4, it's on the list because I'd like to get it eventually, but it's not a priority.)

Where are you seeing WotC for $18?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think he lives in a funny money region so his prices are probably different

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

post stuck so what

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

I understand that caution and 90% of the time it's the right way to go, but in the case of Qud, when I played it first a few months ago I sincerely didn't even realize it was EA until I was checking out the thread here about it. Even if all development stopped this second I'd feel confident saying you'll get your money's worth, despite the considerable stuff still on the roadmap. In short, game incredibly good, this is a rare case where EA can be safely banked on.

Qud is a full feature game that you could consider "early access" for a long time. Only because the developers are insanely receptive to feedback so they constantly pump new features in to it.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
haha, jesus, I just refunded a game for the first time, bought another with the wallet funds and it has the exact same issue! (both use what I believe is the unity launcher and neither would even launch after pressing play).

Anyone know what problem my (crappy) laptop might be having with Unity? I'm pretty sure I have other unity games which work but none use that launcher.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Since someone brought up Caves of Qud: I have never (to my knowledge) played a rogue-like game. Qud looks interesting, but I'd kinda like to know more about it before I buy it. Is it one of those 'die once, the game is over' deals? Also, are there visuals, or is it more of a text-based, Dwarf Fortress-style deal?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Is it one of those 'die once, the game is over' deals?
yes. thats part of what a rogue-like is

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Since someone brought up Caves of Qud: I have never (to my knowledge) played a rogue-like game. Qud looks interesting, but I'd kinda like to know more about it before I buy it. Is it one of those 'die once, the game is over' deals? Also, are there visuals, or is it more of a text-based, Dwarf Fortress-style deal?

Yes, there's permadeath, and yes, there are visuals, and they're gorgeous in a very low-fi way; http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/333640/ss_e4dd59b15d1c0d3af50b6cb35b056f9318f4da5d.1920x1080.jpg?t=1508541811

I'm very far from an expert on Qud so I'll let others (i.e. ya boy StrixNebulosa) sell you on it, but I will say that if you want to try a roguelike but are intimidated by the difficulty, take a look at Dungeonmans. It's got a neat feature that sees the actions of one hero give more strength and opportunities to their successors, plus it's one of the genre's most approachable examples in terms of controls, understanding what does what, etc., so it's not as intimidating as a full-on headfirst dive into Qud or ToME or something.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, sorry about my price listing, I'm in third world land so prices down here are weird (rear end Origins is actually super expensive for example).

Nier Automata is below 50 (comes to ~36), but it's not discounted and it was like 40% off a couple weeks ago, so I can wait for that one.

Regarding CoQ, I know the devs are doing a good job on keeping the game updated, which is why I started keeping track of it, but I'm afraid I'll get it, and go 'might as well wait for 1.0!' every time I'm about to launch.

I'm still hovering over the buy button on XCOM... I think I want to play it, and I did play a bunch of XCOM, but then I got EW and played like 4 missions and never touched it again. :shobon:

I may be an idiot when it comes to games. :<

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mister Adequate posted:

Yes, there's permadeath, and yes, there are visuals, and they're gorgeous in a very low-fi way; http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/333640/ss_e4dd59b15d1c0d3af50b6cb35b056f9318f4da5d.1920x1080.jpg?t=1508541811

I'm very far from an expert on Qud so I'll let others (i.e. ya boy StrixNebulosa) sell you on it, but I will say that if you want to try a roguelike but are intimidated by the difficulty, take a look at Dungeonmans. It's got a neat feature that sees the actions of one hero give more strength and opportunities to their successors, plus it's one of the genre's most approachable examples in terms of controls, understanding what does what, etc., so it's not as intimidating as a full-on headfirst dive into Qud or ToME or something.

It's ya girl, StrixNebulosa!

Caves of Qud is an open world rpg with a vast character creation screen, hand-crafted towns and dungeons and quest-lines and books, procedurally generated dungeons and books and other content, and lots of interlocking systems. It's also a roguelike and balanced that way, so lethality is high, bullshit is around every corner, and for the love of god (l)ook at enemies before you try to kill them, it'll tell you how dangerous they are and if you should be running.

THAT SAID, in the options menu is a toggle to turn off death/make it into a y/n question. Did you feel that a certain death was too bs? Hit no, I don't want to die! Do you just not want to die, period? The choice is there! ...Now this does throw off the balance of the game a teeny bit as it's built around you learning what kills you and adapting your tactics and character - don't engage madpoles in melee, put extra stats into VIT, etc - but heck with it, you get to experience all the content. In short: make death a toggle.

Other notable selling points: the world is full of life and weird stuff. It's a post-post-apocalyptic jungle where you can find artifacts from past civilizations - a box of brightly colored wax sticks, shield that is literally a stop sign, but now with legends attached to it - and mutants and robots and crazy Templars who are basically space marines, but extra religious and they want you dead - unless you've gone out of your way to befriend them. There's a bunch of sentient bear scientists, there's religion, there are goat-people.

Character creation involves "do you want to be a mutant who shoots fire from your hands and has pincers and two heads?" or "do you want to be a psychic with mind lasers who can clone themselves" or "do you want to be a True Human....which means you can have cyborg implants and more?"

In short it's massive and creative and the best open-world roguelike. Give it a go, read the help files, live and drink.

Bonus: it's made by goons!

....And if for some reason this all sounds intimidating or too much, get Dungeonmans instead! It's all about the dungeon-crawling and an actually balanced skill system and the pure roguelike experience of you in a dungeon learning to actually use your consumables because if you hoard them you will die.

e: Early Access: Caves of Qud is in Early Access but most-to-all of its major systems are in, the devs are working on it full-time, and due to its nature I find it hard to burn out on? Like, there's just so much to do in it, new builds to try, and so on.

Dungeonmans is not in Early Access though, so if you want to wait on CoQ, get Dmans instead!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dungeonmans is not in Early Access though, so if you want to wait on CoQ, get Dmans instead!

I have said this a dozen times since its release, but Dungeonmans also has baller music that the composer said was inspired from Final Fantasy Tactics. It really meshed well with the spelunking and rear end kicking.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

StrixNebulosa posted:

poo poo, sorry! I wondered if I should be more ambiguous and then I thought "... nah, they're a goon who is obsessed with roguelikes :v:" My bad!

(Also just to point out that Dmans was also made by a goon, madjackmcmad, who is cool & good!)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mister Adequate posted:

(Also just to point out that Dmans was also made by a goon, madjackmcmad, who is cool & good!)
Qud dev team is also goons and also they swear they’ll be out of Early Access on February first.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

Caves of Qud is an open world rpg with a vast character creation screen, hand-crafted towns and dungeons and quest-lines and books, procedurally generated dungeons and books and other content, and lots of interlocking systems. It's also a roguelike and balanced that way, so lethality is high, bullshit is around every corner, and for the love of god (l)ook at enemies before you try to kill them, it'll tell you how dangerous they are and if you should be running.

THAT SAID, in the options menu is a toggle to turn off death/make it into a y/n question. Did you feel that a certain death was too bs? Hit no, I don't want to die! Do you just not want to die, period? The choice is there! ...Now this does throw off the balance of the game a teeny bit as it's built around you learning what kills you and adapting your tactics and character - don't engage madpoles in melee, put extra stats into VIT, etc - but heck with it, you get to experience all the content. In short: make death a toggle.

Other notable selling points: the world is full of life and weird stuff. It's a post-post-apocalyptic jungle where you can find artifacts from past civilizations - a box of brightly colored wax sticks, shield that is literally a stop sign, but now with legends attached to it - and mutants and robots and crazy Templars who are basically space marines, but extra religious and they want you dead - unless you've gone out of your way to befriend them. There's a bunch of sentient bear scientists, there's religion, there are goat-people.

Character creation involves "do you want to be a mutant who shoots fire from your hands and has pincers and two heads?" or "do you want to be a psychic with mind lasers who can clone themselves" or "do you want to be a True Human....which means you can have cyborg implants and more?"

In short it's massive and creative and the best open-world roguelike. Give it a go, read the help files, live and drink.

Bonus: it's made by goons!

....And if for some reason this all sounds intimidating or too much, get Dungeonmans instead! It's all about the dungeon-crawling and an actually balanced skill system and the pure roguelike experience of you in a dungeon learning to actually use your consumables because if you hoard them you will die.

e: Early Access: Caves of Qud is in Early Access but most-to-all of its major systems are in, the devs are working on it full-time, and due to its nature I find it hard to burn out on? Like, there's just so much to do in it, new builds to try, and so on.

Nice, thank you all! I might get either one of these games; they seem pretty interesting. Happy holidays!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

How do you guys talk about Caves of Qud and not post this?

quote:

Angry Diplomat posted:

Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT PLANTS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT ANIMALS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT BUGS. Kill a bear and EAT IT, just EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. KILL EVERYTHING. Descend into the DEPTHS OF THE WORLD and retrieve ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS. KNIFE-FIGHT a GIANT DRILL ROBOT and WIN. Be a COOL WASTELAND KNIGHT. Be a TWO-FISTED COWBOY. Be a HOMICIDAL NINJA TURTLE with an AXE and a SHOTGUN. SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES. Get into a GUNFIGHT with a HYENA-MONSTER and accidentally anger a HERD OF MAJESTIC HULKING DEMON HORSES with your crossfire. Fly into the air like a BEAUTIFUL EAGLE and then SWORD-FIGHT a GIANT DRAGONFLY. MIND CONTROL a TWO-HEADED BOAR and MAKE IT WEAR CHAIN MAIL and KILL YOUR ENEMIES. Encounter a LEGENDARY PLANT with an INTIMIDATING SKULL MASK and the ability to THROW FIERY DEATH FROM ITS HANDS. CONTRACT HORRIFYING DISEASES. Go to THE DEATHLANDS and discover that THE DEATHLANDS are called THE DEATHLANDS because they will KILL YOU DEAD. HACK OFF A ROBOT’S HEAD AND EAT IT. Get into a SLEDGEHAMMER DUEL with a ‘ROIDED-OUT SUPERCANNIBAL. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE that you BREAK A BOX OF CRAYONS attempting to figure out what it is. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY GIFTED that you can make an ACID GRENADE out of a PLASTIC TREE and a FOLDING CHAIR. Build your own FLAMETHROWER. Build your own LASER GUN. Build your own HANDHELD NUCLEAR BOMB and BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH IT. Collect MAGMA in a CANTEEN. Pour MAGMA into a pool of ACID to see what happens. DRINK MAGMA. TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY. Have your LEGS CUT OFF and then REGROW YOUR LEGS and pick up your previous legs and EAT YOUR OWN LEGS. Encounter your EVIL TWIN and then summon six of your own GOOD TWINS to fight your evil twin’s SIX EVIL TWIN TWINS in a FOURTEEN-WAY PSYCHIC LASER DEATH RAVE and then BURN TO DEATH when all of the combined PYROKINETIC MIND FIRE from all of the TIME CLONES causes the ENTIRE MAP TO COMBUST AND MELT.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Caves of Qud is extremely cool.

Also, anyone else mind dumping a list of hidden gems under five bucks? Thanks to the post from the dude a few pages back I am snagging Twilight Struggle, Siralim 2 and Bot Vice, but there's got to be more that I'm missing.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Meridian posted:

Caves of Qud is extremely cool.

Also, anyone else mind dumping a list of hidden gems under five bucks? Thanks to the post from the dude a few pages back I am snagging Twilight Struggle, Siralim 2 and Bot Vice, but there's got to be more that I'm missing.

Someone recommended Dungeon Warfare to me in a previous sale and it was a great purchase. It's a tower defense game where you lay down traps for hordes of adventurers coming to your dungeon and costs like $2.50 during sales.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Someone recommended Dungeon Warfare to me in a previous sale and it was a great purchase. It's a tower defense game where you lay down traps for hordes of adventurers coming to your dungeon and costs like $2.50 during sales.

Looks neat, adding it to the list.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I have the opportunity to nab Prey for $14 (Fanatical star deal plus a voucher they sent me). Someone sell me on it? I don't really know much about it other than people like it and it's apparently kind of metroid-ish?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

man nurse posted:

I have the opportunity to nab Prey for $14 (Fanatical star deal plus a voucher they sent me). Someone sell me on it? I don't really know much about it other than people like it and it's apparently kind of metroid-ish?

it's the spiritual successor to system shock. if that rings a bell you already know which way that'll sell you on it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Keeshhound posted:

I don't think this is so much of a problem since the gameplay styles that push chaos higher are more aggressive anyway, so it felt more to me like "okay, you enjoy combat, have more guards to fight." I think the thing people didn't appreciate was having the game pass moral judgement on them by having so called "high chaos" versions of levels feel like the might as well just have been called "evil mode." If instead they'd taken a more revolutionary tone where killing guards got the citizens riled up and more openly rebellious against the usurpers it probably would've upset people less.

If you're not already dedicated to one specific playstyle hearing "more guards if you kill dudes" comes off like a punishment instead of rewarding combat with more combat. The broader morality stuff and the lopsided nature of the game certainly didn't help either though.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So here's my current cart, any one else have suggestions for cool games under $5?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Cool games under $5 during the sale that I can recommend without reservation, in no particular order:

Jump Jet Rex: Great retro-styled platformer.
Flywrench: It's like super meat boy, but you're two lines that can flap to fly around. Great minimalist aesthetic.
Lovely Planet: It's a fun, cheerful FPS with short, arcadey levels.
LISA: A complete gem of an RPG, definitely worth your time. Kind of depressing though.
Anodyne: Feels like a version of Link's Adventure that fully embraces all of the surreal dream imagery from that game.
Shatter: The best version of breakout.
RunGunJumpGun: A runner with short, difficult levels. Great music and trippy visuals.
Princess Remedy 2: If you enjoy the first (free) game, it's more of that but better.
Hexcells (and sequels): Great, chill puzzle games. Feels sort of like minesweeper meets sudoku.
Hacknet, and while we're at it, Uplink: Movie-style hacking games. Crack passwords and delete logs.
Spacechem: Every Zachtronics game is a treasure if you can get into that sort of game, and this one is only two and a half dollars while the sale is on.
Roundabout: Your standard spinning limo taxi sim, but done well.
Antichamber: Fun, minimalistic first-person puzzler that plays around with hosed up geometries and things that change depending on whether you're looking at them or not.
Resident Evil 4: It's the best Resident Evil game. You can suplex a cultist so hard their head explodes.
Painkiller: Black Edition: Fun, fast-paced first person shooter with great level and weapon design.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Trick Question posted:

Cool games under $5 during the sale that I can recommend without reservation, in no particular order:

Jump Jet Rex: Great retro-styled platformer.
Flywrench: It's like super meat boy, but you're two lines that can flap to fly around. Great minimalist aesthetic.
Lovely Planet: It's a fun, cheerful FPS with short, arcadey levels.
LISA: A complete gem of an RPG, definitely worth your time. Kind of depressing though.
Anodyne: Feels like a version of Link's Adventure that fully embraces all of the surreal dream imagery from that game.
Shatter: The best version of breakout.
RunGunJumpGun: A runner with short, difficult levels. Great music and trippy visuals.
Princess Remedy 2: If you enjoy the first (free) game, it's more of that but better.
Hexcells (and sequels): Great, chill puzzle games. Feels sort of like minesweeper meets sudoku.
Hacknet, and while we're at it, Uplink: Movie-style hacking games. Crack passwords and delete logs.
Spacechem: Every Zachtronics game is a treasure if you can get into that sort of game, and this one is only two and a half dollars while the sale is on.
Roundabout : Your standard spinning limo taxi sim, but done well.
Antichamber: Fun, minimalistic first-person puzzler that plays around with hosed up geometries and things that change depending on whether you're looking at them or not.
Resident Evil 4: It's the best Resident Evil game. You can suplex a cultist so hard their head explodes.
Painkiller: Black Edition: Fun, fast-paced first person shooter with great level and weapon design.

Awesome, thanks.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Any suggestions for RPGs in this sale? Less like Skyrim type and more older type but I'll take what I can get.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Disgaea and the other NIS games. Half-Minute Hero games.
Do you mean like left side fights right side sort of older?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 25, 2017

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Disgaea and the other NIS games. Do you mean like left side fights right side sort of older?

Sure or even something Paper Mario esque.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Grandia 2
The Last Remnant

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Xeras posted:

Any suggestions for RPGs in this sale? Less like Skyrim type and more older type but I'll take what I can get.

The trails in the sky games. I've actually only played the first one, but if you want old school jrpg it's pretty much perfect.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

West of loathing fits that bill really well. Creepy Castle also has a very Paper Mario feel.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Papercut posted:

The trails in the sky games. I've actually only played the first one, but if you want old school jrpg it's pretty much perfect.

It's painfully slow paced though so if you don't like that trails in the sky definitely isn't for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yep, imo it may hands down be the best TD on Steam (at least in terms of really raw TD elements at its finest). FYI they're making a second one which was supposed to come out in Oct, delayed to Nov, then delayed to Dec but it looks like we may not see it till early next year. I'm still stoked as poo poo though because DW2 will be great

• Locked thread